• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Vid at link.

Jessica Nelson spotted a Buick in the McDonald's drive-through in Marshfield, Wisconsin with a cow in the backseat. Using her phone she took video and posted it to Facebook where it earned 112,000 views. The cow's owner saw Nelson's post and explained that he had just purchased that calf, and two others not seen laying down in the back, at an auction. He never mentioned anything about the inevitable whining and complaining from the backseat riders about how meat is murder.

https://boingboing.net/2021/08/30/cow-seen-in-backseat-of-car-at-mcdonalds-drive-through.html

Strange things calf's went to pick 2 up for the local farmer to Gisburn market
he had a cow that had lost it's calf, me and another chap lifted them into the
back of a van with a good dollop of straw in the back and they settled down
and never a noise out of them, just lifted them out at the other end, the cow
took charge of them like they were her own and they had a longer and happier
life than I suspect they would have had.

I don't recall hearing of anyone having to rescue a cow from up in a tree before ... :thought:

CowInTree-LA.jpg

Cow rescued from Louisiana tree after Hurricane Ida

A rescue crew in Louisiana came to the aid of a cow found wedged in a tree above the floodwaters left behind by Hurricane Ida.

The St. Bernard Parish government said in a Facebook post that parish employees Tyler Acosta, David Palmer and Roy Ragan Sr. teamed up with private citizen Louis Pomes to rescue a cow found stuck in a tree near the Florissant Highway. ...

The crew used chainsaws to cut branches from the tree and bring the cow back down to the ground level.

The Florissant Highway remains closed due to high floodwaters from Hurricane Ida.
SOURCE (With Video): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...nard-Parish-Louisiana-cow-tree/5231630517311/
ALSO: https://www.cnn.com/videos/weather/...x.cnn/video/playlists/stories-worth-watching/

Last edited:
Arizona cow story: a few days ago, my husband and I were driving in NW Maricopa county, and had to stop to let an escaped herd of longhorn cows saunter across the road. They had funnily enough surrounded a school bus, which was stopped until the herd had cleared. These cows were the splotched and speckled pattern which is much desired in rodeo events, and I suspect they were rodeo professional cows. Except for the headaches from all the roping, its a good life :)

Are you in the mood for this seminar?

TLRH |The history of modern Ireland according to a cow​

Wednesday, 24 November 2021, 4 – 5pm

A seminar by Dr Juliana Adelman, Dublin City University as part of the Contemporary Irish History Seminar Series in association with Trinity Long Room Hub.

The Centre for Contemporary Irish History promotes research in recent Irish history. This Seminar Series is intended to act as a forum where those engaged in research in Contemporary Irish History can discuss their work with like-minded people. All webinars take place at 4pm. Presenters speak for a maximum of 45 minutes, followed by a Q&A.

Attendance is open to all with relevant interests inside and outside TCD. Please indicate if you have any access requirements, such as ISL/English interpreting, so that we can facilitate you in attending this event. Contact: [email protected]

Please register here.

Campus Location
: Trinity Long Room Hub Arts and Humanities Research Institute
Accessibility: Yes
Room: Online
Event Type: Lectures and Seminars, Public
Type of Event: One-time event
Audience: Undergrad, Postgrad, Alumni, Faculty & Staff, Public
Cost: Free
Contact Name: Dr Anne Dolan

https://www.tcd.ie/trinitylongroomhub/whats-on/details/event.php?eventid=155395005

Vid at link

British Columbia storm: Cows rescued from storm floods by jet ski​

A lethal storm in Canada's western province of British Columbia has dumped the region's monthly average rainfall in just 24 hours. The Canadian Armed Forces have been deployed to help thousands of stranded residents who have been trapped since the storm hit overnight on Sunday. One woman was killed in a landslide and two people are missing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-59324640

This would be my nightmare come true. I grew up on a dairy farm and know that cattle can become aggressive, especially if they are frightened and just charge, or if you come between a calf and it’s mother, or if it’s a bull. Some cattle just have aggressive natures. You learn to be careful around them.

I used to have a recurring nightmare of going to the barn and all of the cows turning their heads towards me (cows were in stanchions in two facing rows in the barn). Suddenly, I would see that all of the stanchions were open and all of the cows would chase me. I would run like mad trying to get to the house before they got me.

‘AI’ used to monitor cows gait & spot animals with hoof problems.

Lameness is caused by injuries or infections and can be very painful. Lame cows produce less milk and if it goes untreated it can mean that they end up being culled.

A human might not notice that something is wrong but the machine picks it up.
"Really, we want to completely replace any manual watching of animals when the cow sleeps, or she eats," says Terry Canning, co-founder and chief executive of CattleEye.

His firm's technology automatically detects early signs of lameness in cattle. It is confined to milking sheds, for now, but is already being rolled out on dairy farms, mostly in the US and UK. About 20,000 cows are currently under the system's watch.
There’s another device to detect calving.
These are strapped to a cow's tail and indicate when they are about to give birth. The sensors pick up a characteristic up and down motion of the cow's tail that occurs prior to calving.

This cow seemed disoriented after appearing on an Australian beach. It's believed the cow floated down the Tweed River during the current flooding.
Live cow washes up on Australian beach after being carried away by flood

A cow carried away by floodwaters in Australia was found wandering a beach after floating down a river.

The confused cow was spotted wandering Tuesday on Duranbah Beach, near Coolangatta, Queensland, and Tweed Heads, New South Wales. ...

The cow is believed to have been carried away from its home by floodwaters and washed up in the area after floating more than 3 miles down the Tweed River from a farm in the Terranora area. ...
SOURCE (With Video): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...odwaters-Coolangatta-Australia/2551646157681/

A friend lost a girlfriend due to a cow once, he had this very pretty and well
groomed new girlfriend and on the way home after a day in the Lakes just
south of Garstang she announces she is in need of a wee.
It's pitch black so he stops next to a gate and she clambers over into a dark
field, suddenly there's a blood curdling scream he runs towards the gate only
to see the girlfriend come hurtling over the top and land full length in the mud,
still screaming knickers in one hand still weeing, covered head to foot in mud, cow muck,
and looking like she had been dragged through a hedge backwards.
It seems she had got herself crouched down and a cow had snuck up stuck it's nose
on her bum and licked her nether regions.
He never told me what was said when he got her home but she never spoke to him
again.
No sense of humour some folk.
:dunno: :omr:

to see the girlfriend come hurtling over the top and land full length in the mud,
still screaming knickers in one hand still weeing, covered head to foot in mud, cow muck,
It seems she had got herself crouched down and a cow had snuck up stuck it's nose
again.
:rofl:

again.
Bit harsh - not really your friend’s fault was it?

Reactions: RaM
I thought it a bit harsh to, he was a nice bloke and would have been quite gentlemanly,
I on the other hand would likely joined her in pissing myself but with laughing.
:thought:

Killer cows as an election issue.

Ram Raj was drinking tea at his home in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh on a chilly November evening last year when a stray cow attacked him.

Over the next few minutes, his young grandchildren screamed and watched in horror as the animal mauled him. The 55-year-old farmer died of severe injuries on the way to hospital.

"It was a painful death and my mother-in-law has stopped having proper meals ever since," his daughter-in-law, Anita Kumari, said..

Such attacks have become common in India's most populous state, where a ban on cow slaughter has led to a huge rise in the cattle population. So much so that they have become an issue in the state's upcoming elections, which are set to begin on 10 February. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-60108274

Reminds me of the chapter in James Herbert's The Fog where the cows eat someone to death, starting with biting off his fingers.

Why, if we have an India story, is it inevitably Uttar Pradesh?

The real cows of climate change? Would we be Friesian if this plan works?

New Zealand has unveiled a plan to tax sheep and cattle burps in a bid to tackle one of the country's biggest sources of greenhouse gases.

It would make it the first nation to charge farmers for the methane emissions from the animals they keep. New Zealand is home to just over five million people, along with around 10 million cattle and 26 million sheep. Almost half the country's total greenhouse gas emissions come from agriculture, mainly methane.

However, agricultural emissions have previously not been included in New Zealand's emissions trading scheme, which has been criticised by those calling for the government to do more to stop global warming.

"There is no question that we need to cut the amount of methane we are putting into the atmosphere, and an effective emissions pricing system for agriculture will play a key part in how we achieve that," New Zealand's climate change minister James Shaw said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61741352

Back