• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Highland cattle are known for their gentle natures.

Hmmm

AN elderly English tourist died yesterday after being attacked by a Highland cow near a village in north-west Scotland where the breed is allowed to roam freely.

The 74-year-old man died at the Southern General Hospital, Glasgow, early yesterday, after the incident on Wednesday afternoon, near Plockton.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12534205.tourist-dies-after-attack-by-cow/

State police say Christopher Merrill, 51, was killed by a Scottish Highland bull on his family farm in Hampton Falls.

Authorities were notified after Merrill didn’t return from tending his cattle last weekend. His body was found in a pasture the day after he was reported missing.

Search crews had some difficulty with the cattle as they worked to recover the body.

“They were relatively aggressive, so we had to deal with that as a part of the search, and also as part of the recovery of the victim,”

https://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/31/us/fatal-cattle-goring-on-farm/index.html

Playing In The Mood no doubt. How many park visitors will be killed and eaten by these savage cattle before sense is seen? Last time the Scots came to Derby they were sent homeward to think again!

More Highland cattle are to be released into a city's parkland and fitted with sound-emitting collars to restrict their roaming.

Derby City Council wants to put more cows into Allestree Park as part of what it says will be the UK's largest rewilding scheme. It aims to used new technology to keep them penned into areas with "virtual fences" triggering the collars. It said the move would improve biodiversity.

The council said the system, called NoFence, will play a melody as the cows approach the edge of the boundary which is set using GPS. It said the beast would learn to turn back when the melody plays and if they attempted to cross the boundary, a small pulse would be emitted - similar to a conventional agricultural electric fence.

The council said The National Trust has already used the system effectively at Studland Bay in Dorset but said a physical fence would also be erected as a back up.

Jerry Pearce, Derby City Council's cabinet member for streetpride, leisure and public spaces, added: "This is an excellent initiative which uses new technology to ensure we're looking after nature in the park in the best way we can, while keeping it an attractive and welcoming place for residents and visitors to enjoy. Allestree Park is a huge park, the biggest public green space we have in Derby, so there's enough room for everyone, including more cattle." ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-64678802
Highland Cattle. . . 'savage?' I believe where cattle are concerned, the Highland Cattle are the safest of all - but, like any cattle it pay's to keep a good distance between you and them just in case they have reason to become agitated with walkers, like dog's, children or they have young to protect.
Never-the-less, totally agree that these Cattle being allowed to roam freely in a village is just asking for trouble - eventually, though I wouldn't trust ANY COW unless either at a good distance, or behind an electric fence as I did have a pretty close run-in myself with Dairy Cattle that hadn't been fed on time and were extremely dangerous as the whole herd stampeded towards myself and a friend who where just walking along a footpath through the field. That taught me never to trust any animal ~ 'blindly!'

Last edited:
You can say that certain breeds are "gentle" but they will still respond aggressively if they are frightened, or calves are involved. They still need space.

And looking at the picture of Highland cattle with full horns - no way would I crowd them.

Cattle, especially ones who are used to humans can be more dangerous simply because of their size. I think I've mentioned earlier, not sure, that farmers have been crushed by their own cattle because the animal decides that it would like a back scratch or something and pins the person between itself and a wall.

Playing In The Mood no doubt. How many park visitors will be killed and eaten by these savage cattle before sense is seen? Last time the Scots came to Derby they were sent homeward to think again!

More Highland cattle are to be released into a city's parkland and fitted with sound-emitting collars to restrict their roaming.

Derby City Council wants to put more cows into Allestree Park as part of what it says will be the UK's largest rewilding scheme. It aims to used new technology to keep them penned into areas with "virtual fences" triggering the collars. It said the move would improve biodiversity.

The council said the system, called NoFence, will play a melody as the cows approach the edge of the boundary which is set using GPS. It said the beast would learn to turn back when the melody plays and if they attempted to cross the boundary, a small pulse would be emitted - similar to a conventional agricultural electric fence.

The council said The National Trust has already used the system effectively at Studland Bay in Dorset but said a physical fence would also be erected as a back up.

Jerry Pearce, Derby City Council's cabinet member for streetpride, leisure and public spaces, added: "This is an excellent initiative which uses new technology to ensure we're looking after nature in the park in the best way we can, while keeping it an attractive and welcoming place for residents and visitors to enjoy. Allestree Park is a huge park, the biggest public green space we have in Derby, so there's enough room for everyone, including more cattle." ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-64678802
It is not clear, for me at least from the article, if the cattle will be in rotating separate fields, behind a fence, and away from the public. If not, then I who have never been in the UK predict unpleasant outcomes. Perhaps the park officials will ban dogs, children, ball throwing, and loud music so the cows are not agitated.

...Hey! I thought the UKers were against shock collars for dogs. But for cows? Also, who is going to change the batteries on the collars?
Eagerly awaiting developments from my fortress of ignorance in my desert retirement community...

It is not clear, for me at least from the article, if the cattle will be in rotating separate fields, behind a fence, and away from the public. If not, then I who have never been in the UK predict unpleasant outcomes. Perhaps the park officials will ban dogs, children, ball throwing, and loud music so the cows are not agitated.

...Hey! I thought the UKers were against shock collars for dogs. But for cows? Also, who is going to change the batteries on the collars?
Eagerly awaiting developments from my fortress of ignorance in my desert retirement community...
Yes. I don’t understand this either. So the cattle will wear collars that will shock them when they get too close to the “NoFence” and this will deter them from wandering beyond the allotted area? Similar to agricultural electric fencing? Are they really being that naive?:loopy: Believe me, if the cattle want to get beyond the fenced area, a small electrical pulse will not deter them. Cuz living on a farm with electric fencing, I never saw cattle get out onto the road and several neighbours trying to corral them back into the field. Oh and those were the domesticated cattle.

Reading the article regarding the Highland cattle just makes me feel like people are romanticizing the idea of having these wonderful wild animals in a park. They are wild animals. Never forget that.

Calf born with smiley face on tummy spared abattoir after being nicknamed Happy

Megan and Barry Coster breed about 700 calves a year at their stud farm in Ripplebrook in West Gippsland, Australia, but have never seen markings like this

The black and white Holstein calf will now be allowed to roam around and eat the lawns of farm workers, living a happy life in its new job as a lawnmower.
1679090566168.png

Now soon they will have a whole herd of the silly looking things.

(And she thought Belted Galloways were silly....and all Galloways are silly as they are naturally hornless).

Vid at link.

A cow has attracted sympathy from across the globe for "pretending" to be asleep to get out of being milked.

Doris - part of a 200-strong herd on an Isle of Wight dairy farm - has featured on a US news programme and attracted more than 1.5 million views on TikTok.

The video prompting all the fuss shows farmhand John Brodie trying to coax an unimpressed-looking Doris outside on a cold morning two weeks ago.

Mr Brodie said the footage demonstrated how Doris was "more person than cow". ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-65123453

Vid at link.

A cow has attracted sympathy from across the globe for "pretending" to be asleep to get out of being milked.

Doris - part of a 200-strong herd on an Isle of Wight dairy farm - has featured on a US news programme and attracted more than 1.5 million views on TikTok.

The video prompting all the fuss shows farmhand John Brodie trying to coax an unimpressed-looking Doris outside on a cold morning two weeks ago.

Mr Brodie said the footage demonstrated how Doris was "more person than cow". ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-65123453
Mr Brodie was subsequently interviewed on CNN, telling reporter Jeanne Moos about how Doris always had a tendency to be "cheeky".

:chuckle: Was that a set up?

Cows tree walker.

A dog walker who got stuck up a tree while trying to escape a herd of cows in North Yorkshire was rescued by firefighters.

The animals surrounded the woman and her pet as they walked though a field off Ure Bank Terrace in Ripon on Monday.

After being called from the tree at 18:38 BST, fire crews arrived and waved the creatures away.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-66166190

Cows tree walker.

A dog walker who got stuck up a tree while trying to escape a herd of cows in North Yorkshire was rescued by firefighters.

The animals surrounded the woman and her pet as they walked though a field off Ure Bank Terrace in Ripon on Monday.

After being called from the tree at 18:38 BST, fire crews arrived and waved the creatures away.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-66166190
The firefighters merely "waved the creatures away".:rofl:

Cows move away when they see you have serious stuff to do.

(Hi viz may help)
After my own experience, I would not say that is a given myself. Never had trouble passing through a field of cows before, but on this particular occasion, they turned into quite a different beast. (may have not been fed on time - which can make them a tad tetchy to say the least!)

After my own experience, I would not say that is a given myself. Never had trouble passing through a field of cows before, but on this particular occasion, they turned into quite a different beast. (may have not been fed on time - which can make them a tad tetchy to say the least!)
Ah. They were in a bad mooooooood.

They wouldn’t stampede for food. Maybe come towards you as a herd. Were there calves in the herd? Then you can get trouble.

Back