• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Crab Humanoid' Caught On Film?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

Via Coast To Coast A.M.:

'Crab Humanoid' Caught on Film?
By Tim Binnall

A bizarre piece of footage circulating online purportedly shows a humanoid entity scurrying down a road in a crab-like fashion. The very weird video was reportedly captured by a home security system in Costa Rica and was shared on Reddit by a resident of the country earlier this month. Alas, beyond that bit of background information, little is known concerning the circumstances by which the scene unfolded. Be that as it may, the footage is rather compelling by way of its sheer strangeness.

In the video, a dog lurking on a dimly lit road is being taken aback by something approaching it from off-screen. When the oddity comes into view, it appears to be a human-sized creature walking on all fours in a manner akin to a crab. The bizarre beast (or being) simply scrambles down the road and vanishes into the night. In the original footage that was posted to Reddit, several dogs can be heard reacting in an agitated fashion to the curious interloper.

As for what it could have been, some have speculated that it could be a legendary Latin American entity known as 'La Mona.' This being is said to be a witch that can transform into an animal and stalks unsuspecting and unfortunate individuals at night. Another theory offered by some viewers is that the 'crab humanoid' is merely an eccentric or possibly intoxicated individual having a bit of fun. And, of course, one cannot rule out the possibility that the footage is a well-crafted hoax.

Source:
https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/watch-crab-humanoid-caught-on-film/

They have some odd breeding practices down there.

:omr:

Something something something Cromer joke (just to get that out of the way)
Aww Swifty. Don't spoil my fun!

Re : the idea that the thing scaring those dogs is a human larking about. When I was a kid, being young and supple as most kids are, I remember occasionally adopting that crabby pose and trying to scuttle about like that, and in all honesty it was really hard to do! It's very difficult to run around nimbly like that thing is apparently doing with ease. Having said that, some people are VERY supple and can do some really remarkable things with their bendy bodies (no saucy comments, please) with sufficient practice. Of course, that vid could be a hoax, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Actually, I've just had another watch of the video and the way it moves sort of reminds me of the way some bats move when they 'walk'. Could it be a Mothman-type cryptid? It also puts me in mind of a couple of vids I have seen on those 'Paranormal : Caught on Camera' programmes. One was a similar-looking thing crawling along hanging onto the underside of a bridge somewhere (which was a long-ish clip filmed from a distance) and one that was lurking in the corridor of an abandoned asylum (or similar) which was just a few seconds of footage before the guy filming it ran away in terror. Just saying this to float the idea that if they are all hoaxes, funny that they are all similar. Of course that may be because the same person is doing them, perhaps trying to create a new archetype, like Slenderman - but crabbier.

Actually, I've just had another watch of the video and the way it moves sort of reminds me of the way some bats move when they 'walk'. Could it be a Mothman-type cryptid? It also puts me in mind of a couple of vids I have seen on those 'Paranormal : Caught on Camera' programmes. One was a similar-looking thing crawling along hanging onto the underside of a bridge somewhere (which was a long-ish clip filmed from a distance) and one that was lurking in the corridor of an abandoned asylum (or similar) which was just a few seconds of footage before the guy filming it ran away in terror. Just saying this to float the idea that if they are all hoaxes, funny that they are all similar. Of course that may be because the same person is doing them, perhaps trying to create a new archetype, like Slenderman - but crabbier.
If it's a cryptid, where does it normally hide?

If it's a cryptid, where does it normally hide?
Very good question, Mytho! It is hard to imagine a thing of that size not getting spotted more often if it is a real, flesh and blood creature. Maybe it is another one to put on the list of creatures that are both 'there and not there' - like Bigfoot, Nessie and, indeed, Mothman. Plenty of others too!

l see a man “walking” on his back, sideways towards the camera. He appears to have placed something on his stomach to give a domed, carapace, effect.

The Redditer’s name - “U_fit_ then_fat” (IIRC) - suggests someone who’s into athletic feats or gym training.

l’ve been racking my brain trying to remember the name of an SF/fantasy/horror film where the performers were trained to walk on their backs like this, only with a costume then draped over them. The Dark Crystal, maybe?

maximus otter

l’ve been racking my brain trying to remember the name of an SF/fantasy/horror film where the performers were trained to walk on their backs like this, only with a costume then draped over them. The Dark Crystal, maybe?

maximus otter
I believe that was one of the ideas for depicting the beastie in Alien, using one or maybe even two contortionists in a costume.

I believe that was one of the ideas for depicting the beastie in Alien, using one or maybe even two contortionists in a costume.

l remember actually seeing a “the making of” video which depicted the performers scuttling about as described, and l’m pretty sure it wasn’t for Alien.

Perhaps @Swifty, with his SFX knowledge, can help?

maximus otter

l remember actually seeing a “the making of” video which depicted the performers scuttling about as described, and l’m pretty sure it wasn’t for Alien.

maximus otter
Without seeing it it sounds like a contortionist performer with added costume etc to me (as mentioned by another poster above) .. used to great effect in the horror films SPLINTER and to a lesser degree MAMA ..

The contortionist bits are likely to be somewhere near the end of this video ..

edit: 27:15 onwards

Last edited:

maximus otter
The other film that springs to mind is Dark Crystal

I was once in a traffic jam in Cairo (as everyone is pretty much all the time) and in between the lines of stationary vehicles came a man who was bent over and walking on all fours, asking for money (no help from the government there- you rely on charity). He wasn't as deformed as this figure, but it's the first thing that came to my mind.

The other film that springs to mind is Dark Crystal

Why? Because of the Garthim?

garthim.png

Yep, could be. Been a long time since I saw the movie but that seems to ring a bell.

They are definitely crab/beetle like but the movements are different, I think it was people in huge costumes, the legs sort of "scuttled" but didn't move much.

At the beginning as it moves from left to right it's rear legs seem to have a dog like shape,
especially if you slow it down.

To me it seems to move exactly like a dog put into a heavy and unaccustomed costume. And the dogs watching don't seem scared, just baffled, so I'd guess it smells familiar but just looks weird.

To me it seems to move exactly like a dog put into a heavy and unaccustomed costume. And the dogs watching don't seem scared, just baffled, so I'd guess it smells familiar but just looks weird.
Dog in a giant spider costume! Yes!

Yes, the more I look at it and the way it moves (and mostly the way the other dogs are behaving around it), I'm still going for a medium sized dog in a costume with lots of legs.

Back