• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crabbus Man: My Investigation Into A Local Horrific Cryptid Legend

Burgric

Fresh Blood
My hometown, Maldon, is regarded as the 'most haunted town in Essex', UK. Much of the architecture is at least 300-400 years old, with one pub, the Blue Boar Inn dating back to the 1350s. It is no surprise that there are numerous supernatural happenings and stories around the district, given the ancient history of the place.

On a ghost walk some five or so years ago I learned about one such folk tale, that of Crabbus. I was a university student at the time, visiting home for a short break and staying with family.

The ghost walk tour guide took our group all over town, recounting several morbid tales before ending the tour at the Hythe near promenade park, Maldon's largest attraction, where he recounted the brutal and tragic tale of Crabbus. Below is an image of the Hythe near the prom.

PICT2538.JPG

Maldon's promenade park is situated on the river Blackwater, in Saxon times known as the Panta. The estuary snakes eastward towards the North sea, flowing past Northey and Osea islands on its way as seen below.

Osea_Area.gif

As you can imagine we have a lot of mud, the perfect environment for a half-man, half-crab horror. The tour guide regaled that Crabbus was born to a unnamed townswoman of Maldon in the 1800s, and upon being delivered was deemed too offensive to nature to be allowed to live. The baby was taken to the river by the mayor to be drowned.

Another speculation is that the baby was the illegitimate offspring of the town's mayor, a surplus motivation to rid of the child beside its offensive appearance. When the mayor, standing in the shallows of the river, lowered the baby into the water to drown it, the child slipped away and out of his hands before any such wrong could be committed.

The creature is said to have slipped down into the mud caverns beneath the riverbed, living a subterranean existence, only emerging for food, or an altogether more sinister purpose.

Rev. Joseph Arkwright wrote in his diary in 1863, 'As any fool know, to walk after dark through promenade park, is to walk in the shadow of death, for there the Crabbus Man lurks and scuttles, with his clacking claws and twitching eye-stalks, ready to leap upon the unwary and clack at them- they whose souls shall know no peace, for all their remaining days upon the earth'.

Quite a sinister portents, you might say.

I was so enthralled by this story that upon returning to university where I was studying music at the time, I wrote a song about Crabbus Man and performed it with the prog-rock band I was in at the time. Below is an embarrassingly low-resolution image of us performing it live.

Crabbus band.jpg

When looking for information on the legend online, I only came across one major source, that of Essex Terror, a website dedicated to supernatural occurrences about Essex. On the website, nearly word-for-word, was the story of Crabbus the tour guide has recounted a few days before, complete with the quote from Rev. Arkwright. This led me to believe that the tour guide had used Essex Terror as a source during the process of writing his tour.

After graduating I moved back to my hometown, and feeling connected once more to my surroundings decided I would write a short story about Crabbus. To refresh my memory, I went online and searched for Essex Terror on Google, but got no hits.

I did, however, make contact with the owner of the website via Twitter and he generously sent me all the information he had on the Crabbus legend, including some artists renderings of Crabbus, one produced below.

essexmonsters042.jpg

In talking to the website author I mentioned I was writing a short story on the legend. He sent me a story he had written, and I read it. The piece had me in stitches. The author's style was largely satire and farce, the story poking fun at many local idiosyncrasies and places.

Two years later while preparing this story for a new YouTube channel I was starting on British Folklore, I read through all my old email correspondence with the author of Essex Terror. I viewed them in a new light. Several clues hinted that not all was as it seemed with the Crabbus legend.

After conducting hours of further investigation and research online, I came to the conclusion that the Crabbus legend was in fact a modern, urban legend, created and perpetuated by a handful of people.

If this was true, this is the story of how three people fooled me, any web visitor to Essex Terror, the ghost walk tour guide and the subsequent hundreds of people attending his tours.

436f18cb6f81f292005ea580c8c9b8e8.jpg

Another image of the promenade park at its entrance near the Hythe.

When I began to scrutinise the information sent to me by the author of Essex Terror in Jan 2016, my suspicion was raised. The quote from Rev. Arkwright was sent to Essex Terror by an anonymous contributor in an article titled, 'Maldon: The Most Haunted Town in Essex', published in 2010.

The story of Crabbus' origins comes from a locally-published, home-printed pamphlet handed to the author at the Maldon Regatta (a yearly nautical festival we have) in 2011.

Both of these sources the author of Essex Terror informed me he had lost contact with, and could therefore not verify the contributors' information. The image of Crabbus above, reproduced below as a thumbnail, shows a picture card, one of 42 supposedly printed in 1912 of Essex Monsters. The creature is a hairy, walrus-like beast, glowering at what do not appear to be modern humans, by virtue of their dress and weapons. The legend of Crabbus was born in the 1800s, throwing out any credibility that this drawing represents Crabbus, not to mention the out-of-place mountains in the background of the image.
essexmonsters042.jpg

I then found this image while searching online for 'Maldon Crabbus', the link leading me to the page of the author of Essex Terror's Medium website.

Crabbus is a fabrication3.png
The page showed a collection of amusing fake news articles from the early 20th century.

I returned to an earlier source of information, a man named Vom Vorton, who had also written a song about Crabbus. Vorton also happened to be the first person to alert the author of Essex Terror to the myth. I was told this during email correspondence with the author of Essex Terror.

I managed to track down Vom Vorton online and asked him a few questions. When I asked outright if Crabbus was a modern fabrication, he told me that it was 'mostly modern, although there are similar Essex legends that I've assumed were made up recently that actually date back further. Sometimes it's hard to tell.'

He went onto say, 'I was first told about the Crabbus Man in August 2006, when somebody asked me to write a song about him. Sadly I have lost touch with the person in question so I'm not sure whether they made him up.'

My memory was jogged. I seemed to remember that in the short story the author of Essex Terror had sent me years ago, the person who had first told Vom Vorton about Crabbus was mentioned. Sure enough, when I looked at the acknowledgements page, this nugget appeared:

Crabbus fabrication 4.png

It seems that the story begins with the mysterious figure known as Raz, who both the author of Essex Terror and Vom Vorton have lost touch with. Tempted to investigate further, and to find some contact information for Raz, I stopped myself.

I had become far too obsessed with the story, and by this point honestly did not want to know if Crabbus was indeed an utter fabrication. I suspected that it was, but something about the legend made me want to remain ignorant of its origins, however farcical and absurd.

In Maldon, crabbing is a sport most children and their parents engage in, and have done for hundreds of years. The goal is to hook crabs on a fishing line, drag them out of the estuary and plonk them in a bucket of water by your side, to gawk at.

Crabbus is known to wreak revenge on those that engage in the sport, as some kind of punitive justice for causing emotional trauma to crabs. Somehow, that makes Crabbus all the more human, and not just a hulking great half-man, half-crab abomination set on prowling the promenade park bent on bloodlust.

Another past-time in our town is the Maldon Mud Race, originally enforced in the winter months but recently moved to spring. The sport has hundreds of entrants each year, with the aim being to cross the estuary from one side of the mud bank to the other, through the water, and back again. Showers are set up on the quay for participants to wash off the black Maldon mud once they get out, and medals are awarded to all. It is funny to think of Crabbus sitting in his mud cavern below, rolling his eyes in irritation at all the noise going on above.

I did published a video that goes into more depth on the Crabbus legend at the Folklore Channel I previously mentioned, and it can be found here for those wanting a more visual experience of the legend or just some more information:

It is interesting to me that urban legends can be created and perpetuated so easily, and unsuspectingly in the guise of much older legends.

I would be interested to know your thoughts on this story, and if you have any local legends similarly horrific and bewildering.

The picture's been doctored, there's this version
bunyip-h-j-ford-1904.jpg

The Bunyip by H.J. Ford, published in 1904 as part of The Brown Fairy Book

The people certainly look more like an Edwardian illustrator's idea of Australian Aborigines, than of the inhabitants of Essex in the 19th century.

Found at: https://buckoffblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/13/fantastic-13th-a-chronicle-of-magical-creatures-bunyip/

Great story though, local legends are fascinating, it looks as those somewhere along the line someone's pinched the picture to spice it up a bit.

Last edited:
That's amazing! How did you find it? It didn't occur to me to cross reference the photo with other sources. Fantastic that it is an Australian Aboriginal monster of myth.

I just found this colourised version of the above picture while searching for the Bunyip.

monsters-bunyip-bunyip-australian-lake-monster-watching-its-baby-being-carried-off-by-aborigin...jpg

That's amazing! How did you find it? It didn't occur to me to cross reference the photo with other sources. Fantastic that it is an Australian Aboriginal monster of myth.

I just found this colourised version of the above picture while searching for the Bunyip.

View attachment 17579

I used the Google search by image function, using the version you posted, and just checked the ones it threw up. I like the coloured one!

Burgic: it striles me that your post would make an ideal article for the hard copy Fortean Times magazine.'It's pretty much all there already - maybe flesh it out a bit in parts. Then get it bunged off to the Editor.

(Disclaimer: I have no direct connection with the `Fortean Times` nor its editorial board. This is just a suggestion from one punter to another).

I was looking for something else entirely, when I came across these. They're from a book the 'Legends and Traditions of Huntingdonshire' by a Victorian amateur antiquarian, a miscellany of local history, legends, and just interesting facts. These were adapted for a presenter on our community radio station, who wanted a couple of local ghost stories for his Hallowe'en evening programme - they're pretty close to the originals mainly tweaks for dramatic effect.

The Alconbury Drummer Boy
Based on the account in the
Legends and Traditions of Huntingdonshire (WH Bernard-Saunders, 1888)

In 1780, Jarvis Matchem came into Huntingdonshire to see what business could be had Huntingdon races, along with another fellow he claimed was his brother.

He was originally from Yorkshire, and had been a jockey and horse trader, but seeking adventure had signed for the navy to see the world. He found the work and discipline of the navy didn’t suit, so with a friend he deserted and they came across the country stealing as they went fund their progress to Huntingdon.

However, at Huntingdon Matchem couldn’t find work nor any other source of income. So he enlisted with the 49th Infantry, which was then quartered here, under the name of John Jarvis, not you’d agree, a wise move for one who’d already deserted the Navy.

After a few weeks, on the 18 of August he was sent by Quartermaster Sergeant Oliver Jones, to accompany the sergeant’s son Benjamin Jones, a drummer boy in the regiment who was about 15 years of age to Diddington to collect money for supplies from the Regimental Major who resided there. They were advised to spend the night at Buckden and return the next day.

Already Matchem was tired of army life and conceived the idea of stealing the seven pounds the Drummer boy was carrying and deserting once more. He put the idea to the boy, who would have none of it, for witnesses say they saw Matchem arguing with the drummer boy in an Inn in Buckden. Then instead of staying there the night, as they’d been advised, Matchem made them press on back to Huntingdon. Whether they took a wrong turning, or whether Matchem lured the boy along with him towards Alconbury to see Matchem’s “brother” who was working as a blacksmith there, we do not know.

Two days later the drummer boy, Benjamin Jones, was found, his throat cut from ear to ear, by the Great north Road by Alconbury hill, a bloodied knife belonging to Matchem at his side, and the regimental money and Jarvis Matchem had vanished. Though a reward of £20 pounds was offered, Matchem could not be found and there it might have ended.

Six years later, in 1786, far away in Wiltshire two men recently discharged from the Navy were making their way back to Cambridgeshire - one of these was Jarvis Matchem. After the murder he had run to London where he had swiftly squandered the stolen money then and once more enlisted in the navy, both to support himself and hoping to escape justice.

Jarvis’s companion, noticed that Jarvis seemed a nervous and edgy, becoming worsening as they progressed. He constantly scanned the bushes and woods beside the road and was forever a glancing over his shoulders as if he’d heard someone behind and was expecting to be followed. As if, as the poet say’s “A frightful fiend doth close behind him tread.”

As they crossed a open plain, a violent storm broke - there was no shelter on the road so they were forced to press onwards through the driving rain and wind. . Then ahead they gaunt figure appeared out of storm, Matchem screamed and seemed about to flee. His companion being of stronger stuff picked up a stone and hurled it at the figure, which vanished back into the storm.

Matchem was still cowering and muttered, “He has sent it for me, he has sent it for me.”
“One of us has something bad upon his conscience I think”, said his companion.

”But can wait until we are out of we are out of this hellish storm.”

He pulled Matchem to his feet and forced him onwards, Machem was agitated and cried out there were creatures in the storm stalking them and screamed as he passed a milestone, “See! It has eyes even the stones are watching.”
His companion swore at him that it was nothing but a stone.

They finally came to an Inn, but scarcely were inside they’d when a gust of wind blasted open the door behind them, the room was lit by a lightening bolt and thunder crashed about the place,

“I can see him.” yelled Matchem. “The Drummer Boy standing at side of the Lord, his throat is cut and he is pointing at me at me!
Since I cut his throat on the Great North Road, in quite and lonely paths, I have heard his footsteps ever behind me, and in the watches of the night wherever I have been I have heard the sound of distant drumming.”

It took four men to restrain Matchem and the parson and the magistrate were called for and Matchem made a full confession. He was sent back to Huntingdon, for the next assizes, where he was convicted of the murder of the drummer boy and hanged. A drum accompanied him to his hanging and a roll on the drums were the last sound that he heard upon this earth.

Matchem was the last man to be put upon they gibbet in Huntingdonshire. His body was tarred and put in a iron cage and hung from a high post beside the road at Alconbury Hill. The pivot the supported the cages squeaked and squealed in the wind and, even after the body and cage had fallen and only the gibbets and the only a dangling chain remained, people would feel a sense of dread as they passed the spot and horses would take fright.

The gallows and gibbet are long gone, they have vanished before the middle of the nineteenth century. But on windy dark nights on the Great North Road by Alconbury to Huntingdon, it’s said that you may still hear the squeaking of the gibbet as Matchem swings in the wind, and behind you hear the footsteps of the drummer boy that followed him to his doom.

The Strange and True Relation of One Mr John Leech Who Lived in Huntingdonshire, not Far Distant from Huntingdon Town, Who was Carried 12 Miles in the Air by two Fiends, and Also of His Sad and Lamentable Death

In the time of Cromwell, there was a Huntingdonshire farmer called Mr John Leech, who lived just outside Huntingdon.

One day he set out on horseback on the road to Whittlesey Fair intending to meet friends there and spend the day drinking and making merry.

He had barely gone two miles, when came to an Inn and spied another friend. He decided that the thing he needed was breakfast of beer, bread and cold meat. In those days people often drank a weak beer for breakfast, known as a small ale at breakfast – it was often safer than drinking the water.

He persuaded his friend to go in with him and he started drinking his “morning draught” of small ale, then moved on to stronger ales and to spirits. His friend had other business and tried to make excuses to leave, but John Leech swore at him and said:
“Damned be, man! The Devil take him that leaves this Inn today.”

However, as the morning wore, even though his brain was now fuddled by drink he remembered that he had friends to meet and more drinking to do at Whittlesey Fair.

As he got up and heaved himself outside and called for his horse; his friend said
“Don’t you remember the oath you swore just now ?”

“Ha!,” said Leech, I'll warrant you the Devil will not trouble me, besides I am so heavy, he will not be able to carry me half way to the Fair.”

“It may be he’ll take you on another journey,” said his friend.

“Let him, attempt it then” it then said Mr Leech.

Mr Leech set off unsteadily on the road to Whittlesey.

The next day in Doddington, some labourers coming to work found Mr Leech, battered, bloody, naked and near unconscious in a farmyard. They called their master who recognized Mr Leech and had him taken into the house and put to bed while the Doctor was summoned.

Mr Leech came partly to his senses and told them strange tale. He’d not gone far along the road from the Inn, when he’d started to worry about the terrible oath he’d taken and decided to turn back. But then, although he knew the countryside well he could not find his way back and rode to and fro without recognizing any roads or paths, or seeing any farms nor any other folk.

As darkness fell, he started to become afraid, then he came to two great stone gate posts with a statue of Griffins crouched on top of each. He rode towards them hoping to find a house beyond, but then the creature leapt from the posts and seized him – they were the Devil’s own agents sent to fetch him.

He was lifted with his horse into the air and tossed about the sky all over the county over Huntingdon town, and St Ives, over Whittelesley Mere and Ramsey Mere. His clothes were torn from him, his horse was ripped to pieces and eaten, he was savaged and finally dropped naked in the farmyard.

On hearing this the Doctor and the master of the house summoned a minister. To pray for him. But as the minister entered Mr Leech flew into frenzy yelling .

“I am damned already, your prayers will do nothing”

And nearly strangled the poor clergyman. The servants overpowered him the Doctor gave him a sleeping draught, they tied him to the bed and he fell into a deep sleep.

About midnight, there was a dreadful commotion and screaming from the room, the household burst in into find Mr Leech, quite dead. His tongue was black and hanging out. Every joint in his body had been twisted from its socket and he had been so savagely beaten that the bruises had made his skin as black and shiny as shoe leather.

The Doctor said that that the drunken Mr Leech had been robbed upon the road and the beating had brought on an apoplectic fit in, which he had dreamt the fiends and that second fit of immense violence had killed him. The Minister begged to differ and said that fiends from Hell had truly taken Mr Leech.

You should never make an offer to the Devil, for who knows? He may accept it.

fascinating! great thread @Burgric Thank you @Timble2

Another development is perhaps seen in the recent "hit" book The Essex Serpent (Sarah Perry 2016) which enjoyed at the time and have reread twice since.

wikipedia on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Essex_Serpent

and a look at what I thought was the /perfect/ cover for it.
1558802059480.png

In that illustration of the Bunyip, why is one of the aborigines carrying a leopard seal?

I suspect it's an artist's conception of aboriginals stealing a young bunyip. The illustration below more clearly portrays the scenario in that way.

BunyipMother Chasing men.jpg

SOURCE: http://www.cfzaustralia.com/2012/04/

The original sources for this and the earlier images are unknown.

It is interesting to me that urban legends can be created and perpetuated so easily, and unsuspectingly in the guise of much older legends.

I would be interested to know your thoughts on this story, and if you have any local legends similarly horrific and bewildering.
Very interesting and great research. I was originally wondering if the person had really existed and had been born with the genetic disorder of split hand/foot.

the Crabbus Man lurks and scuttles, with his clacking claws and twitching eye-stalks, ready to leap upon the unwary and clack at them-
Aie!! what a horrifying fate—to be clacked at!!!

I was originally wondering if the person had really existed and had been born with the genetic disorder of split hand/foot.
Someone born with a genetic disorder is what I first thought, too. Or that it was a boogy-man used to scare children into behaving.

The true origin story of the Crabbus man is even more interesting tho'! Thanks so much for posting your adventures in research, Burgric!

Back