• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unusual / Novel Coffins & Caskets

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Boca soccer fans' grave devotion
By Daniel Schweimler
BBC News, Buenos Aires

Most football fans - true football fans - say they will support their club through thick and thin until the day they die.
There are few more passionate fans anywhere in the world than those that follow Argentina's Boca Juniors.

And to prove it, they take their support to the grave - literally, in Boca Juniors coffins.

The coffins only come in two colours - blue and yellow. For those are the club colours.

Their fans will not be seen sporting any other colours while they are alive - so why do so when they are dead?

For anything up to $800, they can have a coffin tailor-made, with a blue and yellow design on the outside and a blue and yellow silk lining.

And for a few dollars extra, they can have the club crest carved on the lid.

One fan was reported as saying: "Whether I go to heaven or hell, I'll go as a Boca fan."

Growing trend

In an age when Boca, like most clubs around the world, will produce anything from baby clothes to lampshades to bedroom slippers in the club colours, it was probably only a matter of time before they catered for the fans who were no longer with them.

Several clubs in Mexico - a country which celebrates its dead - already produce club coffins.

As do clubs in the Colombian city of Medellin - not so long ago the city with the highest murder rate in the world.

Now fans in Argentina can chant: "I'm Boca until the day I die..."

And for some time after that, too.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/w ... 980104.stm

Published: 2006/05/06 11:49:50 GMT

http://ticketing.southbankcentre.co.uk/ ... -1000185-0

Inside a storeroom at a Nottingham industrial estate, an artist is putting the final touches to a miniature Viking longship.

The ship is not intended for the seas, but is a coffin commissioned by a client of Nottingham company Crazy Coffins.

The company is a spinoff from traditional coffin manufacturer Vic Fearn and Company Ltd. The idea came not from the makers but from a potential customer some 15 years ago.

Continue reading the main story

Hi Cherry,

IIRC, there's some more pics of unusual coffins in the modern funeral customs thread.

Saw some of those on BBC Breakfast in the week in an item about the South Bank Festival of Death For The Living.

Would love to go but I'm otherwise engaged for that time.

Here's a British site with 'picture coffins' - Creative Coffins

As this is quite a new type of funerary business/art form, I'm wondering if it needs to be tagged onto the Modern Funeral Customs thread.

facebook_1615163614333_6774487208252400538.jpg

Back