• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crazy Colorado

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
As part of an occasional series on Fortean locations/cities/states areas - its Colorado and here specificaly the San Luis Valley with tales of aliens, cattle mutilations, chemtrails, etc.:

Fighting fear and conspiracy theories on moonlit night

By JAN GLIDEWELL, Times Columnist
Published July 18, 2004

I sat, a few nights ago, trying very hard not to think a whole lot about where I was.

It was beautiful in the San Luis Valley in Colorado, with the Sangre De Cristo mountains rising on one side and the kinder, gentler San Juan range on the other.

I watched a full moon, occasionally blocked by scudding black clouds, rise over mountains whose blood-red color resulted in their being named for the blood of Christ, and convinced myself that I was only moderately afraid.

The San Luis Valley is a site well-known to UFO buffs, fans of the supernatural and conspiracy theorists. It is one of the primary UFO sighting locations in the United States, and, when cattle mutilations were the "in" thing with alien invasion buffs, the valley was also the site of more of those than any other area.

And it's not hard to find a few locals or longtime transplants who will tell you about energy vortexes, strange aircraft flying in and out of mountain caves and even, as one guy in a bar in nearby Salida explained to me one night, "gridding."

Gridding is very popular with conspiracy buffs who think gridlike patterns that look to the rest of us like jet contrails are actually signs of mind-control chemicals being dropped on us by the government.

Of course, a government that has been able to sell us some of the things we seem to have swallowed en masse lately doesn't seem to need much in the way of mind control chemicals.

But, back to the things of which I was more immediately afraid.

[Last modified July 17, 2004, 23:36:24]

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/07/18/Columns/Fighting_fear_and_con.shtml

The UFO Watchtower

It does sound like that area is a hotspot for weird activity:

August 8, 2004

Things Are Looking Up With UFO Watch Tower

Judy Messoline had the space after her cattle ranch went bust, and her modest platform now lures visitors from all sorts of wild places.

By David Kelly, Times Staff Writer

HOOPER, Colo. — Shortly after her cattle business went bust, Judy Messoline looked to the heavens for salvation.

She had never thought much of flying saucers but knew that her San Luis Valley ranch sat in a region renowned for bizarre, unexplained phenomena. So Messoline erected what she believes is the world's first UFO watchtower.

"I opened it as a tourist trap," she acknowledged.

But it became bigger than that. Over the last four years she has seen self-described alien abductees, psychics, channelers and visitors from Pluto, Jupiter and points beyond come through her door.

The straight-talking rancher has learned to bite her tongue during these close encounters, occasionally of the third kind.

"Who am I to doubt?" she asked.

The last year has been her busiest yet. Thousands have pulled off Highway 17 near tiny Hooper in south-central Colorado to climb the tower and scan the skies over the craggy Sangre de Cristo Mountains.

People search for mysterious flying lights, soaring triangles or hovering balls of fire. Messoline, 59, shows documentaries of local UFO sightings and discusses assorted odd happenings in the 120-mile-long alpine valley that stretches into northern New Mexico.

The UFO WatchTower isn't exactly towering. It's a metal platform in the middle of the desert standing about 14 feet above a spaceship-shaped gift shop.

"I don't know why more people are coming," said Messoline, who doesn't charge admission but accepts donations.

She's taking advantage of the newfound popularity by holding a conference at the site next weekend with UFO experts from around the country. And she's writing a book about her experiences here titled "That Crazy Lady Down the Road."

There is certainly enough material.

"I had a guy come in and ask if I had a place to sign in," she recalled. "I told him yes and he said, 'No, do you have a place to sign in for us?' and I said, 'Where are you from?' and he said, 'Pluto.' "

A woman claiming to channel the thoughts of extraterrestrials rebuked Messoline because the aliens depicted in her shop all looked alike. She said the real space folks were annoyed that just one of their 157 races was represented. The channeler left after buying a rubber alien head for her car antenna.

Then there was the trucker who said he saw a bright light above the highway and later couldn't account for three hours of his life.

"I told him to see a hypnotherapist," Messoline said.

At an ethereal 7,600 feet above sea level, the San Luis Valley has always been a land of mystery, a place where the Wild West meets the Weird West. Early Native Americans claimed "ant people" lived underground here; other tribes talked about "star people"; and the Hopi believed all thought originated atop the valley's towering Mt. Blanca.

There are stories of Bigfoot sightings, clandestine military installations, secret alien bases and vortexes leading to other dimensions. New Agers and those seeking spiritual enlightenment flock to towns such as nearby Crestone, where Buddhist prayer flags snap in the windy foothills of the Sangres.

"The San Luis Valley was the first area colonized by the Spanish in Colorado, and it's just been sitting there for 400 years simmering in its own broth," said David Perkins, a journalist who has written about the region for nearly 30 years. "It's so isolated. It's ringed by mountains and there are a lot of superstitions."

Perkins said the mix of Indian, Spanish, Mexican and Catholic folklore might also make inhabitants predisposed to seeing certain things.

Leslie Varnicle, state director of the Colorado Mutual UFO Network, said the valley is an area of major military operations, full of low-flying, high-speed aircraft operating from bases in Colorado Springs.

"But that doesn't explain similar sightings 50 years ago when we didn't have that kind of technology," she said. "This is one of the biggest hotspots in the country for unconventional flying objects."

The valley's history was relatively unknown to Messoline when she arrived from Golden in 1995 to start a new life after her divorce.

It wasn't long before people asked if she had seen any UFOs.

Messoline hadn't. She was too busy trying to keep her ranch afloat. But dwindling pasture eventually forced her to sell her cattle, leaving her with 640 acres of unused land.

"My friend said, 'Why not put up a UFO watchtower?' " she recalled.

To her own amazement, she agreed.

After giggling her way through the permit process, Messoline had the tower built down the road from her house. She advertised with metal "aliens" along the highway. Soon after, she said, she saw her first UFO — a narrow, glowing object sailing over the mountains.

Since then, she's seen 19 more.

"You will see dots moving real fast. Then one will stop and the other will catch up," said Messoline. "I have talked to military men and they say no planes can do that."

Over the course of a recent day, about 75 people stopped in for a look.

"I won't say UFOs don't exist, but I haven't seen any yet," said Paul Orosz, 40, of Denver, looking toward the mountains. "A lot of what people see is very explainable by clouds or weather balloons."

Rick Castellini, 38, of Grand Junction said he had a friend so in love with extraterrestrials that his wall clock showed the time on Mars.

"I think this valley is strange in any case," he said. "It feels like time has stopped here."

Bob Lancaster, 60, of Pueblo meandered around with his granddaughter.

"There could be something to this stuff," he said. "There is nothing to disprove it. I had a friend who had one of his cows dissected. They drained all the blood; his tongue was taken out. It's strange."

Mysterious animal mutilations have a long history in the valley, starting with Snippy, a horse famously eviscerated in 1967. Some believe aliens are doing it; others say government agents testing for radiation are behind it. Police offer a more prosaic explanation: earthly animal predators.

As daylight waned over the tower, puffy clouds sailed past — white at first, then orange and finally blood red with the glow of the setting sun. Distant lightning illuminated the sky.

A new group gathered to watch the heavens.

"I love clouds; clouds are so cool," gushed Susie Noble, a Denver clerk who camps here every year, hoping to catch a glimpse of the unknown.

Noble, 50, showed off a model UFO she had built. It was made of a bundt cake pan with rubber aliens arrayed at the window and a little light blazing inside.

"It only took me a week," she said.

Lisa Lough, 38, looked at the stars gathering above. She saw her first UFO as a kid in South Dakota.

"It was a bright light in the sky that flashed and then went away," she said. "I came here hoping to see more."

Many watchers have UFO stories and each one is treated uncritically.

"People come here because they are free to tell what they saw or what happened without fear of being laughed at," Messoline said.

"Who knows if there are little green men? Some days I firmly believe, other days I have my doubts. My conclusion is, there is something very special about this place."

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-na-ufo8aug08.story

Any Forteans out that way fancy having a nose around as there are some great stories there!!

And another report on the UFO Tower:

Cattle farmer diversifies and finds her profits are out of this world

By Charles Laurence in San Luis Valley, Colorado
(Filed: 05/09/2004)

Judy Messoline was a cattle farmer staring into the abyss of bankruptcy when the sky above her suggested a way to financial salvation.

Aware that the San Luis Valley in southern Colorado, where she farmed, was believed by many to be the favourite earthly landing-strip for aliens, Mrs Messoline converted her barn into a UFO watchtower.

Judy Messoline has had some 'very strange encounters' of her own at the farm

The 59-year-old divorcee painted a billboard, lined the road with metal alien replicas and waited for the hoards to descend. She soon discovered that her drought-plagued dairy herd would no longer be her main cash cow.

"When I came here I started hearing stories of UFOs flying around at night and I thought maybe there's a tourist trap for me out there," she said. "I still can't quite get over the result. I get thousands and thousands of visitors."

The overwhelming majority of those who travel to the remote desert valley each year do so in the hope of catching a glimpse of extraterrestrial activity.

And the locals, a mix of sun-baked cowboys and American Indians, readily attest that there is something special about the night sky there. Explanations range from unusual air currents to air-traffic activity of an extraterrestrial kind.

An average of 75 people a day now come to the farm to scan the sky for UFOs. Mrs Messoline charges no admission but asks for donations and makes a profit on the T-shirts, model flying saucers and bug-eyed extraterrestrials she sells in the farm shop.

Interest in life beyond Earth has been on the rise since scientists revealed earlier this year the existence of water on Mars.

Only last week, Nasa, the American space agency, confirmed the discovery of new stars with earth-like planets in orbit. Meanwhile, New Scientist magazine reported that mysterious signals from 1,000 light years away were detected by astronomers using a huge radio telescope.

That revelation came as Mrs Messoline hosted a UFO conference that attracted more than 100 people. On the agenda was a lecture entitled Faces of Extraterrestrials, a talk by two "abductees" on their experiences as captives on flying saucers.

Fanny Ceto, a woman who claims to be half-human and half-alien, also addressed the conference.

She believes that she piloted one of the spacecraft that were said to have landed at Roswell in the Nevada desert in 1947. To this day, conspiracy theorists believe that the US Air Force captured a spaceship there.

Mrs Messoline has mastered the necessary commercial art of taking all her guests at face value - including Miss Ceto - whatever she may think of them. "She was very charming," said Mrs Messoline, with only a hint of irony.

"She said she had been placed on earth as punishment for crashing the craft in a lightning storm, with the job of spreading love and peace. She told us all about the controls of the craft."

Other recent visitors include a man who claimed to have come from Pluto. He asked Mrs Messoline for a visitors book so that he could sign in - and was very disappointed when she did not have one.

A woman who bought one of the rubber alien masks scolded her for depicting all aliens as looking alike. Surely, she insisted, Mrs Messoline must know by now that there were 157 different races.

Mrs Messoline concedes that she has met many unusual characters since she opened the park in 2000. "I have had some very, very strange encounters of my own. Not with spaceships exactly but with people who at least appear to be of this earth," she said.

The closest she has come to an extraterrestrial encounter was, she said, just after she opened the viewing platform.

"Until then I was looking at cattle and not at the stars, I suppose, but there it was," she said. "A spaceship like a big, bronze cigar, with very bright lights, just cruising up the valley. It was quite lovely."

The San Luis Valley, 7,600ft above sea level, has long been a draw for mystics and Indian shamans. The Hopi tribe believed that human thought originated in mountains overlooking the valley; conspiracy theorists claim that secret military bases lurk in the ravines; and New Agers think it has vortexes that will lead them to new dimensions.

Despite all this, Mrs Messoline - who is writing a book of memoirs entitled That Crazy Lady Down the Road - is still not entirely convinced but says there are days when she comes "this close" to believing that there is some alien life force out there.

"Here's what I say to those aliens," she said. "Come on here, I want you to land and talk to me. After all this I'm not afraid of you and if you visit me, I'll be a believer."

She might also be a little richer.

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/09/05/wufo05.xml

Signs

Illegal (Plywood) Aliens:

Sign rule means 2 roadside aliens may not be long for this world

By Erin Emery, Denver Post Staff Writer

The Colorado Department of Transportation plans to seize Judy Messoline's aliens, a move she believes is an invasion of intergalactic proportions.

Messoline's aliens are red, made of plywood and stand 3 feet tall. The signs point tourists to the UFO Watchtower, her business along Colorado 17 north of Alamosa where tourists watch for UFOs in an area noted for such sightings.

CDOT says Messoline's signs are illegal.

This month, the department sent letters notifying property owners that signs advertising businesses are illegal if located within 660 feet of a highway right of way and not on the businesses' properties.

Now she has to take the signs down within 60 days.

"That's going to hit right at our tourist season," Messoline said. "If we don't have those signs up, the tourist traffic is going to go right on by. To take away our directional signs is going to kill us."

Nancy Shanks, a CDOT spokeswoman, said the state recognizes the need for directional signs for tourism. Blue signs with white lettering are available for that purpose.

"The state law mirrors the national law on roadside beautification. These laws on roadside advertising are in place for very specific reasons, from highway safety, uniformity, maintenance and highway beautification," Shanks said.

She said the Department of Transportation is making a special effort to remove illegal signs in southwest Colorado, where a new employee is taking a fresh look at the violations.

In Messoline's case, the alien signs are on her property. She owns a section of land that is split by Colorado 17. The business is on the west; the signs are on the east. They are therefore illegal because they are not contiguous to the business.

An 8-foot alien on the west side of the road is allowed because it's next to the business.

"I feel it is harassment. I honestly feel it's harassment," Messoline said. "What they want us to do is buy the CDOT signs, the little blue signs with the arrow. Well, you can't even read them. They're $250 a year per sign."

Darius Allen, an Alamosa County commissioner, attended a meeting Tuesday among business owners and CDOT about the issue.

"We're going to see if we can overcome some of this, but I just need a little time to do some research," Allen said.

Jay Young, owner of the Colorado Alligator Farm, also on Colorado 17, estimates that 50 percent of visitors drop by because they have seen one of the attractions' signs on private property.

"Our livelihood comes from those signs. Realistically, we can't survive without those signs," Young said.

"I feel that it's encroaching on our freedom, our freedom of speech as well as our right to promote our tourist-oriented business," he says. "It's going to be hard for us to deal with."

(From: http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,141 ... 80,00.html Includes a picture of the signs)

The UFO Watchtower has its own website at: http://www.ufowatchtower.com/ which is a masterpiece of Geocities-style kitsch and well worth a visit in its own right. Among the items for sale in the giftshop is the autobiography of "Commander Sanni Ceto", a Zeta Hybrid who famously crashed her flying saucer at Roswell in 1947. Don't drink and drive, kids!.

More High Strangeness in Colorado. Not only the UFO Watchtower (which seems to have gained a couple of doorways to a parallel dimension in the garden since the earlier posts), but also the dilapidated Wonder View Tower, a dinosaur zoo and a set of castles which don't look much like chess pieces!

Another Roadside Distraction
When visiting Colorado, tourists are advised to shop around.
By Amelia Langer

Published: Thursday, August 25, 2005

When visitors come to Colorado, they flock to the Cherry Creek Shopping Center, to FlatIron Crossing, to Castle Rock Factory Outlets. Those shopping meccas are among the state's top five tourist attractions, according to a study released last month by the Colorado Tourism Office. But if visitors ventured just a little further afield -- to any of these five very individualistic achievements, for example -- they'd remember Colorado as much more than repetitive chain stores and endless asphalt.

Bishop's Castle

Unlike Europe, the United States is short on gaudy, extravagant, tourist-attracting castles. Since 1969, though, Jim Bishop has been doing his part to fill the void, one stone at a time.

When he was just a kid, Jim's parents bought him a two-and-a-half-acre plot of land off Highway 165 outside of Beulah, where he and his dad started building a cottage. Thirty-five years later, Bishop is still building that cottage, which has now grown to a 160-foot-tall castle with two towers, a fire-breathing dragon, a balcony that wraps around the structure, stained-glass windows, an iron bridge -- and no construction plans.

The signs that Bishop has posted outside his castle are just as remarkable. In one, he rants: "This Planet Should Be Renamed the United States of America I Do Not Believe In One World Power -- This Is Problaby the Only Real Answer Places Like Japan Germany & Iraq Should Be Taken Now." They should be taken, Bishop explains, because they started a war with us. "It's part of the one-world power," he says. "From the Illuminati to the Knights Templar, Hitler, Janet Reno, Bill Clinton, Sadass Hussein, Osama bin Eradicated, Yassir Arab-crap. If they want one-world power, why not call it the United States of the World? I don't believe in that imperialism crap. Why the United Nations of the World? Why not do it the right way?"

Not that Bishop is a big fan of this country's government. He's run afoul of the law by taking rocks from national forest land, by making the castle a non-profit organization, by renting it to an out-of-hand wedding party. "The government knows they're all crooks," he says. "They steal, squander, mismanage. They're incompetent, they waste tax dollars, they're against great patriots like me. They're of the devil!"

By now, Bishop's Castle has grown from a mere construction project -- grandiose though it may be -- to proof that the government can't control its creator. "They tried to tame this Indian! They're not going to tame me," Bishop insists. They're certainly not going to make him observe zoning laws: Although Custer County prohibits buildings above 25 feet, the castle was grandfathered in because Bishop started on it before there were zoning laws, he says.

Now in his sixties, Bishop recognizes that the castle may never be completed -- but he says he's already made his mark, since the castle symbolizes the success of a high school dropout who was told he would never amount to anything. "I'm the great castle builder!" he concludes. "These two hands with the help of God built all of that. If Donald Trump wants one like that, he's gotta set aside his money and build it with his own hands. All the money in the world ain't gonna duplicate that."

Cano's Castle

Antonito is best-known as the northern end of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, but one man thinks he can beat the train as the biggest attraction in town. Cano -- his name is derived from the word "Chicano" -- has already built four castles on land he inherited from his grandmother. They're not as substantial as Bishop's Castle, but they've been enough to keep him busy for 25 years.

"It was hard to find work out in this rural area where there's no economy or prosperity," Cano explains. "You don't want to work for the farmers or ranchers because they don't even pay minimum wage, so you're on your own. I didn't turn into a drug addict or alcoholic, because this is what I got into."

He also got into what he calls Vitamin M. "Mary Jane is my inspiration," he says. With dope fueling his design plans, Cano has built what he calls the King, the Queen and the Palace, plus a fourth castle known as the Rook, the Horse and the Knight. "Seven years ago, I looked at it, and it started looking like chess pieces," he explains. (To those low on Vitamin M, the buildings look remarkably unlike chess pieces.)

The King, which is the only structure that Cano allows people inside, is a four-story tower adorned with aluminum cans and hubcaps, with windows made from shards of glass that Cano collected at the dump. The second story of this castle is "Jesus's Casita, for when he's around the locality," Cano says, adding that all of his castles are a shrine to Jesus, and "if you don't know Jesus, it's your loss."

Inside the chess-piece castles are small rooms decorated from floor to ceiling with an aluminum quilt of more than 100,000 beer and soda cans. Cano used to go out on Saturday nights to collect the cans, but now he just waits until Sunday morning. "My mom used to tell me, 'I don't know of anyone who can hold a bottle in one hand and a hammer in the other,'" he says. "If only I had another hand."

Most of his construction materials were either donated or scrounged. "I cleaned Antonito up," he explains. The Palace, where he resides, is lined with old bottles; the floor is covered with hand-me-down rugs. More donations adorn the rest of the property, which features a cross made of Keystone Light cans and a prophetic cement cookstove studded with marbles that predict events, Cano says, including 9/11. "This one has yet to happen," he adds, pointing at one group of marbles. "Maybe the Santana will come, or maybe something might happen in Iraq. This is a long path, but it's supposed to be something positive, kinda."

Now that his four castles are constructed, he plans to keep sprucing them up. He wants to add a deck to the Palace in hopes of attracting "princesses and princes" and maybe more tourists -- and their wallets. Mary Jane and God willing, that is. "It was God that made them," he says of his masterpieces. "He already proved to me two or three times that he was making them, not me."

Swetsville Zoo

It all started with Buzzard George. During a break from farming and firefighting back in 1985, Bill Swets started building an exotic creature out of a mower guard, a bike fork and an old shovel. "It took an hour or so," he remembers, "and I thought, 'There ain't nothing to this.'"

Swets went on to build the other 170 sculptures that now inhabit his Swetsville Zoo, on Harmony Road just south of Fort Collins. "I was a fireman for 22 years," he says. "That's how a lot of them got built. I'd come home in the middle of the night, and after a suicide or something, you can't sleep."

His favorite is the dinosaur band called "Two and One Half," which plays what he calls "heavy-metal junk." But he's also partial to "Eggy," a hatching dinosaur, and a two-headed dragon known as "Puff." Gazing at Puff, Swets outlines one of his artistic predicaments: Theoretically, the dragon's wings aren't big enough to hold up the weight of its body. "I did a lot of research," he says. "Dragons breathe fire; everyone knows that. Well, since they breathe fire, their whole belly is full of hot air, so they float. They just use their wings for propulsion."

"There's a little bit of hot air that goes on around here," he notes, walking off.

Swets's sculptures have gone through several phases during the past two decades. He spent a few years creating musical instruments, built something for each of his grandsons, and is now concentrating on vehicles. Autosaurus, a thirty-foot-long violet dinosaur/automobile with power steering, power brakes and a Ford V8 engine, is his latest. Sitting in its mouth, a driver can rev the work up to 90 mph. But Swets, a stickler for safety, says he never takes it over 30.

Other vehicles include the Dinocruiser, which Swets says is for moving dinosaurs, and Cinderella's Carriage, which is pulled by an 8-horsepower mouse. "I thought I'd cover him with indoor/outdoor carpet because it looks like fur," he explains. "But it's all compound curves. I'll tell you, I had more trouble with him! The mechanical part was easy compared to the upholstering!"

Before he began creating sculptures, Swets built bicycles, including a ten-person unit that local firemen brought out for parades, and unicycles that his sons used to make pick-up basketball games particularly challenging. One inventive bike has two parallel seats, a huge set of handlebars and no way to turn. "If you pedal backwards," he points out, "that sucker'll cut doughnuts."

Wonder View Tower

"Guess what this is?" Jerry Chubbuck asks, holding what looks like an oddly shaped rock. "Here's a hint: A dinosaur is heading south; this comes out his north end."

The petrified poo is the first item in Chubbuck's "Guess What" game. If you get all of the answers right, he'll give you back your one-dollar admission. But since the rest of the questions involve a nasal douche, a chicken-killing tool, glove stretchers, a whip holder and Chubbuck's favorite, a magician's knife, he usually gets to keep his money.

Chubbuck's complete collection of odd items is housed in the Wonder View Tower, a sixty-foot-tall structure that was the highest point between Denver and New York City in 1934. At the time, Ripley's Believe It or Not also confirmed that from the top of the tower on clear days, you could see six states: Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, New Mexico and South Dakota.

The tower was built in 1926 in Genoa, a town ninety miles east of Denver along what's now I-70, by Charles Gregory, who was known as the "P.T. Barnum of Colorado." (Never mind that Barnum himself had lived here decades earlier.) In addition to the highest point in 2,000 miles, he also constructed a dozen other rooms and created a popular dancehall/restaurant/roadside destination. "It was a really busy place back then," Chubbuck says.

Chubbuck, who was born in nearby Arriba, bought the complex in 1967, when his farming and ranching business took a turn for the worse. He added more rooms to hold the arrowheads he'd been collecting since he was a kid, and turned the entire place into a huge gift shop and repository of rare goods. His million-piece collection of artifacts, bottles, books, paintings, puzzles, old tools, rocks, picture frames, bullets, bowls and figurines stretches across 22 rooms, including five rooms in the tower. "If it ain't here...it don't exist," promises Wonder View's brochure -- and the place delivers.

Pointing to a 165-pound piece of purple quartz, Chubbuck says, "I'll give it to you if you can put it in your pocket." He doesn't make the same offer with the Civil War buttons -- "the kind they used in Dances With Wolves," the two-headed calf, the white rattlesnake or the one-eyed pig preserved in formaldehyde.

"I need to get more formaldehyde," he says, "but they won't sell it to me, because people use it in meth labs."

UFO Watchtower

Wonder View Tower may once have been the highest point east of Denver, but Judy Messoline has set her sights a lot higher.

After moving from Golden to the San Luis Valley ten years ago to raise cattle, Messoline learned of the area's high concentration of UFO activity. "I always watched The X-Files, but before this I knew nothing about it," she says. And since she didn't have much success raising cattle, in May 2000 she built the UFO Watchtower outside of Hooper. Since then, there have been 31 UFO sightings in the area -- and Messoline's been in on twenty of them.

In one instance, witnesses claim to have seen two lights moving quickly until the one in front stopped to allow the second to catch up, and then they shot across the sky together. In another, a couple said they'd spotted some sort of aircraft go right into a nearby mountain. "I can't tell you if they're little green men, but it is bizarre," Messoline says.

The tower consists of a ten-foot-high metal observation deck above a geodesic dome that serves as a gift shop, stocked with alien paraphernalia and books including Messoline's own work, That Crazy Lady Down the Road. The facility also includes a camping area for people who come to spot UFOs, and a rock garden that Messoline says many people consider to be a healing place, where they can meditate about problems in their lives.

When a pair of tourists look disbelieving, Messoline encourages them to walk through the garden and feel its energy. Their skepticism may be directed more at the two vortexes, or doors to parallel universes, that she says are also in the garden. Messoline discovered the vortexes when a man shone his high-powered flashlight into the sky above and light spiraled over two specific spots. Since that night, more than twenty psychics or particularly intuitive people have identified the vortexes, she says. The psychics also confirmed that two large beings protect the entrances.

"There have been phenomenal results from people just going in and asking for help," Messoline says. "I don't care if it's aliens, angels or God himself. If it helps people, it's good."

Tourists and psychics aren't the only ones who visit. "A lot of times people will come to talk about their abduction experience or UFO experience, or being an extraterrestrial," she says. "They just don't want people to make fun of them. I ask them why they're here, and they say they're here to help people get to the next dimension." While it might be easy to dismiss their claims, Messoline points out that it's harder to ignore the fact that some people who say they're ETs look so similar that they could be twins.

"Sometimes I'll lie awake at night just trying to figure this out," she adds. "You see this stuff, and there has to be an explanation. So far, nobody's been able to come up with one, but it's been fun."

source

Related links:
Pics of Cano's Castle
Pic of Wonder View Tower
Pics of Swetsville Zoo
Pics of Bishop's Castle

The San Luis Valley is clearly a hotspot of oddity. This article gives a good overview:

Sean Casteel (2001) Creatures, Human and Otherwise, Of The San Luis Valley. UFO Magazine. December 2001 - January 2002. 64-7.

www.seancasteel.com/creatures.htm

Back