• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Creepy Canada

The Markham Monster

In December 2001 my husband and I were out for a drive and went exploring in southeast Markham. We took a right off of Markham Road/Main Street just south of Hwy 7 and drove through the residential area. We eventually came to a dead end road. We sat there with our car running and headlights on and saw something stand and move south across our lines of vision, about 20 meters or so ahead of us.

http://www.pararesearchers.org/Cryptozo ... nster.html

Did anybody happen to catch Beyond on Space yesterday? Does anybody know what the name was of Prof. Bruce MacDonald's "automatically written" book? According to Thomas or something like that? I'd like to give it a read, if anybody could come up with the appropriate information or, better yet, contact information for Professor MacDonald himself.

Thanks in advance.

Polterdog.

BUMP!

Have added new links. Sorry, I don't know why "Canadian Man Caught Fiddling While Driving" has carriage returns around it. :confused: (Mods, can one of you fix it? Danke :) )

Polterdog said:
Did anybody happen to catch Beyond on Space yesterday? Does anybody know what the name was of Prof. Bruce MacDonald's "automatically written" book? According to Thomas or something like that? I'd like to give it a read, if anybody could come up with the appropriate information or, better yet, contact information for Professor MacDonald himself.

Thanks in advance.

Polterdog.

amazon.ca link

He may be a prof at Luther College, University of Regina. I'll keep looking.

Edit: found an email address and PMed it to Polterdog.

EDIT: --> another link <--

Leaferne said:
He may be a prof at Luther College, University of Regina. I'll keep looking.

Since the show is produced in Saskatchewan by Steven Rumbelow's production company (Renegade Motion Pictures), I'm certain that's him. Thanks a bunch.

I didn't mean to make you go through all that extra trouble -- I just wasn't certain that I had jotted down the name to his book correctly as it briefly flashed across the screen and thought that, because of the subject matter, it probably was a self-published work (the cover certainly made it look that way, at any rate) and thus, if I ever wanted to get my hands on it, I'd probably have to get in contact with him personally. In any case, I'm certainly happy that you did. :)

Many, many, thanks.

Polterdog.

On the bottom of MacDonald Lake, Ontario, there is what appears to be a megalithic structure.

Picture here: (2nd pic from the top)
http://www.haliburtonforest.com/submarine.html

Natural or manmade?

Bishop took pictures of last year at 12 metres beneath the surface of MacDonald Lake. His somewhat murky pictures show an enormous horizontal rock supported by two smaller vertical stones, which rest on another large horizontal rock. It's reminiscent of an Arctic signpost or Inukshuk made of rocks.

A Haliburton-area archeologist views strategically placed "shims" in the joints as proof this is a manmade structure put here thousands of years ago when the water levels were much lower, says Bishop.

Lake levels haven't been low enough for this submerged formation to be on land since the time of the glaciers, continues Bishop.

But some geologists consulted in Europe by the reserve's owner argue that despite the apparent shims holding it in place, this is a natural feature left by a retreating glacier.

There's no clear cut answer.

Bishop believes its possible that early man used these markers to show others that the prehistoric Haliburton gold trout could be found in these lakes at a time when food was scarce.

All he can say for sure at this point is "it's there" and its origin is "still basically unknown."
http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2005/06 ... 3.raw.html

I wonder if it might have been put there more recently by divers, like the Wastwater gnome garden reported in FT197.

More links have been added to the first post, and I think I'll be reorganizing it this weekend. Also, if there are any passing mods in the area, could you remove the spaces before and after "Police want 25-cent surcharge on phone bills to fund wiretap" if you can? Thanks. :)

If I've duplicated any threads, or if any dead links are found, please let me know. Thanks again!

Sorry to keep poking this up to the surface, but the first post has now been reorganized, dead links and duplicates weeded out, etc.

And a local crypto story with which to reward the reader. ;)

Kingstie Makes Cameo Appearance in Kingston Creek

KINGSTON, ON - On May 16th, 2004 two individuals from the Kingston [Ontario] area witnessed a large unexplained animal underneath the water while fishing for carp in Little Cataraqui Creek.

During the early spring day, the air temperature was approximately 23 degrees celcius, ideal for most animals to be out and about including humans. The size of the creature spotted beneath the water was approximately four feet by eight feet, obviously a little larger than the local carp population. Carp on average run from 25 to 55 centimetres in length within the Lake Ontario region.

The area of the sighting, approximately three kilometres southwest of the Little Cataraqui Creek Conservation Area featuring a large reservoir that is located in the central area of the conservation area. The conservation area is home to several flora and fauna species, including turtles. The species of turtles indigenous to the area are mostly Snapping (Chelydra serpentina) and Wood Turtles (Clemmys insculpta).

An ******** (witness’ name deleted for privacy) of the Kingston area noted, "We were only seeing carp and turtles until one cast was attempted to be brought back..we thought we had a huge carp on the line it was tugging so hard. It fought for a couple of minutes..then the line was freed..but what followed was so strange! We saw 3 large dark, if not black, bubbles surface..as well as the shadow under the water was about 4 feet by 8 feet. It was strange, seemed to stick around for a second then we couldnt see it any more. We tried to cast in the same area again to re-catch it, but to no avail. We couldnt believe what we saw. I remembered that long ago there were sightings of strange things in the lake"

The local cryptid in Kingston that Rosbury mentions is "Kingstie." First sited back in 1881, according to Pararesearchers files, by members on the steamship Gypsy. Sightings have been reported in Alexandria Bay and around the Wolfe Island areas.

Source

And a Fortean-themed blog from an Ottawa guy:
http://tristanfieldnotes.blogspot.com/

EDIT: which has since turned into a splog. :?

Leaferne said:
More links have been added to the first post, and I think I'll be reorganizing it this weekend. Also, if there are any passing mods in the area, could you remove the spaces before and after "Police want 25-cent surcharge on phone bills to fund wiretap" if you can? Thanks. :)

I'm not sure what you mean. If you can point me in the right direction I'll try and sort it out.

No worries, Emps; I fixed it when I reorganized everything. Thanks for picking up the ball. :)

You just rock.

Edit: awesome link, Court Jester!

In Ottawa, you will find Canada's Parliament Buildings.
But you will also find... Canada's Parliament of Cats !!!

:eek:

It's true. Near the actual parliament buildings, there is a cat-sized replica of parliament, where local cats meet and create feline legislation. Here are some pictures of Canada's cat MPs at work:

http://www.ottawaferalcats.com/regional.htm

(this sorta fits because it's on a Canadian channel)

Monday, September 26, 2005
8 p.m. (repeated later that night at 1 a.m.)

The Documentary Channel presents Investigation into the Invisible World.

While scouting locations in Iceland, filmmaker Jean Michel Roux discovered that many Icelanders truly believe in the existence of pixies and elves. Enchanted by the beautiful Icelandic landscapes and intrigued by the sincerity of the people he interviewed, Roux pursued his investigation. The result is Investigation Into The Invisible World, a feature-length documentary about the relationship between humans and invisible beings such as elves, ghosts, angels, water-monsters and extra-terrestrials.

Airing : Monday, September 26 at 8 PM ET

Edited to add: will be repeated: Tuesday at 1 a.m., 4 a.m. and 4 p.m.

There's also some thing on Global called Legends and Lore of the North Atlantic , a 13-part half-hour documentary series about Newfoundland-ish mysteries. Check your local listings for broadcast times and dates.

Ghost of Keenan Covered Bridge

There's a link where you can listen to the interview with Ms. Cullen too.

For as long as the Keenan Covered Bridge stood, it housed ghost stories.

Stories about a ghostly woman -- sometimes headless -- who would appear in horse-drawn buggies, and later in cars travelling through the wooden bridge in western New Brunswick.

But when the bridge burned down last May, people thought its eerie history would go down with it. Then some photos of the fire were developed.

And in them the ghostly image of a face is captured in the burning rubble. It's barely discernible, but it has everyone talking about the haunting. Frances Cullen lives near the Keenan Covered Bridge site.

We reached her in Johnville, New Brunswick.

And a picture of the alleged ghost:

bridgeghost.jpg

Story link

More CBC goodies....

August 29 , 1999
Haunted House, Haunted Mind

In Scotland, it's a Hogmanay tradition to bang pots and pans and kettles all around the house on New Year's Eve. The idea is to create as much noise as possible to chase away michievous spirits and ghosts.

For many people this is simply a quaint, folksy custom, a throwback to a time when people believed that a house could be occupied by more than just human beings.

Others take the idea of ghosts and the experience of haunted houses a little more seriously. In fact, science is developing new tools to chart the shadows caused by human perception. As measurements get more sophisticated, anomolies, those spooky bits of data that defy reason, are being scooped into the net of scientific inquiry.

In 1994, Don Hill and his family sold the house they'd been living in, in Canmore, Alberta, and moved out. It turned out the house was haunted. It was your standard haunted house: mysterious noises, the chilling waves of terror, and once even your standard ghost: a luminous, transparent, human-sized thing - that vanished.

Frightened and intrigued, Don Hill set out to discover what it was that was haunting his house in the Rockies. His research took him to places all over the continent, and by phone around the world. He kept a diary, part of which you'll hear on this program. He consulted with spiritual experts, brain scientists, medical doctors, and others who felt they too had been haunted by 'a presence.'

Don Hill also volunteered as an experimental subject in a brain-science lab run by Dr. Michael Persinger, at Laurentian University. Dr. Persinger regularly conjures up the experience of a "ghostly sensed presence" in the brains' of volunteer subjects. He uses a powerful new machine to stimulate these hallucinations - a device that creates electromagnetic fields similar to those that occur naturally in some kinds of geographic terrain.

In the laboratory, Don Hill was able to re-experience the ghostly presence which had terrified him in his house in Canmore. The machine stimulated his brain, and he saw, and 'felt,' a synthetic ghost - convincing proof of the effects of electromagnetic and geomagnetic forces on human perception.

Don Hill is our guide on the trail of illusion and hallucination. A trip that that takes us through a landcape inhabited by ghostly sounds and enigmatic visons.

Link -- that page also includes two links to the broadcast, one streaming and one downloadable. (RealAudio format)

Canada's heritage icons leaking away
Report claims border agency indifferent to loss of religious, aboriginal artifacts

James Gordon
CanWest News Service

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

OTTAWA -- Canada's cultural treasures -- including religious objects from Quebec and aboriginal artifacts -- are "racing out of the country" because government controls are ineffective and Canada's border agency isn't interested in enforcing them, Canadian Heritage has been told.

"It should be pointed out that the recent creation of the (Canada Border Services Agency) as a result of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, has resulted in a significant reduction in the priority given to issues not related to health, safety and security," reads an internal evaluation by Canadian Heritage, obtained by the Ottawa Citizen under the Access to Information Act.

"The CBSA has explicitly indicated that ... export controls are outdated and it wishes to get out of the business."

Key informants from government and private cultural institutions, who were interviewed for the evaluation and warned of the lost treasures, indicate significant numbers of cultural exports bypass controls, and that some institutions ignore temporary permits for travelling exhibitions completely.

Anyone attempting to export cultural artifacts from Canada must fill out a detailed application to obtain a permit.

In some cases, it is referred to one of approximately 275 expert examiners to determine whether the artifact is of "outstanding significance and national importance," in which case Canadian institutions are given time to obtain financing and keep it in the country.

Last summer, as part of an evaluation of its movable cultural property program, Canadian Heritage looked into whether export controls were effective in protecting the country's treasures.

Evaluators found that only 15.8 per cent of border agency permit officers -- who are ultimately responsible for flagging the items for further review -- felt there were adequate resources to do their jobs. Three-quarters were "dissatisfied" or "very dissatisfied" with the amount of training they had received.

"It could be argued that it is impossible to quantify the extent to which these shortcomings are leading to the loss of Canadian cultural property and that the existence of the export controls represents a reasonable investment and level of deterrence," the document says.

"However, based on the resources and priority devoted to export controls, it would be unreasonable to expect them to be successful."

In addition, the evaluation suggests Canada isn't fulfilling its international obligations to spot illegal imports from other countries due to underfunding.

Import controls have allowed Canada to seize cultural objects -- including Egyptian artifacts, Byzantine mosaics, Mexican tomb figures and Colombian gold -- on 13 occasions since the 1970s, returning them safely to their countries of origin.

However, the document argues "even more so than export controls, the evaluation identified troublesome findings on the import controls."

It notes that by 2004, "the effectiveness of CBSA procedures to identify and support investigations of illicit cultural objects was reduced and personnel with the most experience and training in cultural objects were re-assigned to other priorities."

Importers complained that controls weren't well known and unclear, while other informants criticized Canadian Heritage for not recognizing the increasing importance of the illicit trade in cultural objects.

Catherine Jensen, director of moveable cultural property for Canadian Heritage, defended government controls Monday and insisted the department takes artifact smuggling seriously.

"Canada has a well-regarded reputation on the import side and on returning cultural property that's been illegally exported from the country of origin," she said. "So people can say all kinds of things, but that's the fact. That's true to say that we have a good reputation in that respect and do our best to maintain that."

Source

A Toronto Press Conference on UFO Disclosure Sponsored by Exopolitics Toronto with Dr. Steven M. Greer and the Hon. Paul Hellyer

Exopolitics Toronto and the Canadian Disclosure Initiative present an exclusive Press Conference on UFO Witness Testimony. A press screening of authentic military, corporate and government witness testimony will present compelling evidence attesting to the reality of an extraterrestrial presence and the 58 year old military/government cover-up of this issue. This historic press event will feature Dr. Steven M. Greer Director of the Disclosure Project and the Hon. Paul Hellyer former Minister of National Defense in Canada.

Toronto, Ontario (PRWEB) May 3, 2006
-– A major press conference will be held in Toronto to present military and corporate witness testimony by ranking senior officials about the presence, authenticity and geo-political policy implications of unidentified aerial phenomenon of non-Earth origin.

Exopolitics Toronto will screen a professionally produced Witness Testimony digital video film created by the Disclosure Project under the direction of Dr. Steven Greer on the theatre screen at the prestigious De La Salle Oaklands College in Toronto Ontario on Tuesday May 9th at 7 p.m.

The goal of this press conference is to present witness testimony by Brigadier Generals, Naval Photographic experts, military officers, ICBM Launch Commanders, an FAA Crash Site Senior Administrator, NORAD air traffic controllers and pilots that confirms authentic, first-hand encounters with intelligently controlled unidentified aerial craft of non-Earth origin.

Statements and remarks by Dr. Greer and the Hon. Paul Hellyer about the testimony’s policy and geo-political implications will follow the film’s screening. An open question period for the press will follow remarks by Dr. Greer and Mr. Hellyer.

For the first time in Canada, this provocative and unambiguous witness testimony provides all journalists an opportunity to study irrefutable, documented and shockingly compelling witness testimony about the presence of unidentified aerial phenomenon of non-Earth origin and the associated 58 year cover-up by military and government officials.

In fact, each witness has stated they are willing to testify, under oath, before Congress or Parliament as to the truth of their testimony; a bold personal and legal precedent set by these courageous military, government and corporate officials.

Understandably mainstream media has always been reluctant to approach this issue; dismissing it because of inconclusive evidence or skepticism. This is no longer the case.

Press now will have the right to unreservedly examine superior quality information assembled by researchers and experts in this field; information only accessible in the past to officials with the highest levels of security clearance.

This category of evidential material has been withheld from the press for over 58 years. Exopolitics Toronto’s disclosure press conference rectifies this situation; an event no journalist will want to overlook due to the gravity of the witness’ disclosures.

Abundant evidence and witness testimony also exists that establishes the existence of related covert projects that have developed advanced energy and propulsion technologies that could replace the need for oil, gas, coal and nuclear power.

These rogue, so-called "black" projects have hidden these energy breakthroughs from the public, to the detriment of national security, the environment and the economy, so that elite special interests can maintain the current status quo.

Press will also be able to view copies of original government documents and national security memoranda that confirm a co-ordinated involvement with and a high level of interest in global UFO activity by military and national security agencies.

Exopolitics Toronto will have on hand copies of original secret documents of NORAD Status and Events obtained under the Access to Information and Privacy Act – National Defense Headquarters showing the scrambling of two NORAD CF-18 jets in 2001 to intercept three unidentified craft tracked by an MEDEVAC LR-35 out of Anchorage Alaska.

Also on the agenda will be a special announcement concerning the documentary Dan Aykroyd Unplugged on UFOs. This documentary by Canadian David Sereda will be released in late May.

Press Conference Details

Date:
Tuesday May 9th 7 p.m.
131 Farnham Ave. Toronto Ontario
Auditorium – Entrance at south end of the building
Free Parking available. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

For map directions to De La Salle Oaklands visit Google Map.

The entrance to De La Salle is located on the south side of Farnham Avenue – three streets south of St. Clair east of Avenue Rd. and west of Yonge St.

TTC Access
De La Salle Oaklands is also accessible by walking north to Farnham Ave on Yonge St. from the Summerhill subway stop or by taking the Avenue Rd. bus which stops in front of the college.

Admission Criteria

Press - valid press credentials.
General Public - $5.00
Television Camera Crews should arrive at 6:30 pm to position equipment
Radio and television journalists and print media – seating section – PRESS ONLY.

Agenda

-Introduction and Remarks – Victor Viggiani Director of Media Relations Exopolitics Toronto and Michael Bird Director Exopolitics Toronto
-Exclusive Witness Disclosure Testimony Presentation Digital Video
-Question Period - Dr. Steven Greer and the Hon. Paul Hellyer – Press will have an opportunity to question both featured guests concerning witness testimony and the policy questions surrounding an Extraterrestrial presence.
-Discussion of film documentary Dan Aykroyd Unplugged on UFOs

This Press Event is an initiative supported by the Canadian Disclosure Initiative - a coalition of three NGO agencies:

Exopolitics Toronto
Michael J. Bird Director and Victor Viggiani B.A. M.Ed. Director of Media Relations

The Disclosure Project
Washington, D.C.: Dr. Steven M. Greer,

ICIS -Institute for Cooperation in Space
Vancouver, Canada: Alfred Lambremont Webre, JD, MEd

Interview and Contact Information:

Michael Bird Director - Exopolitics Toronto
Victor Viggiani Director - Media Relations Exopolitics Toronto
Tel: 905 278 1238

link

Weird...I was SURE I'd posted this before. :confused: Popcassady's question about spooklights made me think of this.

Ghost train spotted in Saskatchewan

Last Updated Wed, 31 Oct 2001 22:25:10 EST
CBC News

ST. LOUIS SASKATCHEWAN - For more than 80 years, the town of St. Louis, Sask. has been home to a famous ghost story. It's proving to be more than just a good tale.

One night in the 1920s, a CNR engineer was checking the tracks near St. Louis when he got hit by a train and lost his head.

Now, at night a light from a phantom train or lantern appears.

"He was looking for his head," said witness Simone Gareau. "That's why we see the light with the lantern."

Many residents report seeing a light. A CBC camera caught it on tape one night.

The tape isn't proof of the tale and the CNR doesn't have records that go far enough back to confirm or refute the story.

Some people in St. Louis have done their experiments. Sceptic Franceline Doderai believes the lights are just headlights from the highway.

"We took our binoculars and went like this and adjusted them a little bit and could clearly see highway number two through the binoculars," Doderai said.

Not everyone in town buys the headlight theory. Mayor Emile Lussier points out the highway can't even be seen from the ghost-spotting sight.

Lussier said a scientist came to the site but couldn't figure it out. "We noticed there was a light behind us and when we turned around and looked, the light was right down and appeared right at our heels," said Lussier.

Other people in town say it's unexplainable. One invited visitors to come to St. Louis to come see for themselves ... just don't come alone.

ghost_light011031.jpg

ANNOUNCEMENT

For the benefit of the one or two people who actually look at this thread ;) I'd like to announce that my Canadian Forteana blog is now online (finally!):

Uncanny Canada

Submissions, comments etc. are always welcome!

Are there any other Canadians still on this board?

I was looking at the Toronto Ghost Hunting & Research Society website and they have just about the crappest ever self-guided ghost tour of Toronto.

A couple of friends and I were really interested in doing something but it seems that haunted places are pretty thin on the ground.

Does anyone know of any decent places to visit or have any personal recommendations? So far, we've got the washroom at the Keg Mansion (a steakhouse) and that's about it.

Back