• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Creepy Dream About Darkness

DarknLost

Fresh Blood
So it began by me in towards evening,waking up in the kitchen,in almost pitch black darkness. It was not that dark,that I couldn't see anything,so I headed to my room. Sadly the lights weren't working,and as I went to my room,I also found out that I was left alone in the house. When I was finally steps away from the door to my room,I realized,that as I was going towards it,the time was slowing down. That's when things got creepy. I got very scared,because I think I may have realized that I am in a nightmare,and anything could happen. I finally made it to the door,but as I opened it, the room was way more dark than the house around me,as I was heading towards it. I wanted to scream,but I couldn't,only quietly,and the pitch of the scream began becoming way more low-pitched. I woke up so quickly,that I thought that I was even screaming in real,and woke up someone,but after questioning I found out I wasn't. I was so glad this was only a dream. I know the story was maybe not that scary,but experiencing the whole thing was terrific. I have been having multiple dreams like this as a child by the way. There was one where my dad sent me to the cellar for something,it was dark of course,and when I stepped in a hand from nowhere grabbed my foot from the corner,and I felt like something began slowly eating me.

It actually sounds pretty uncomfortable and anxiety provoking!
Here are some ideas; maybe you will find them helpful, maybe not:

Could you have episodes of sleep paralysis? Here's a thread on that:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/adventures-in-sleep-paralysis.42889/

I believe dream symbolism is particular to that individual, and sometimes even to particular dreams, but we can share cultural influences, and therefore some symbolism, and there seem to be similar archetypes shared across all cultures. We also share basic physiological functions which can shape our perceptions.
Most of us humans rely mostly on vision to understand our surroundings. Maybe the darkness in your dream symbolizes a sense of not knowing what's happening in your familiar world (your home).
Maybe the darkness symbolizes a part of you that you feel you need to know, but don't or can't yet understand.
When you dreamed of darkness and being eaten as a child, maybe it was a way to process the end of childhood and the uncertainty of what adulthood would bring.
Cellars can signify the deeper parts of a person's psyche.
Homes/houses can signify a person's sense of self or place in the world.
Parents can signify your relationship with your parent, or signify the part of you that identifies with that parent.

In your waking life, are you facing actual or potential situations you feel uncomfortable with or unprepared for?

that's a really /really/ unpleasant one!

I've had similar dreams, I often do wake up shouting. I once woke up both the other people in the flat I was so loud (and a bit blood curdling apparently!)

I call them my anxiety dreams. I usually feel so relieved and relaxed once I shout out that I go straight back to sleep.

The feeling of not being able to shout out (sleep paralysis) is very nightmarish but once the tension has been released it feels lovely and relaxed sleep comes easily.

I often have dreams where I can't shout out (or only very quietly) and also where I can't open my eyes properly, or just for a second at a time. I put it down to my body trying to react to the dream, but being paralysed by the sleep state.

I also have the odd thing where lights won't work in dreams, even lucid dreams (dreams where I know I am dreaming, not the modern meaning of 'just a very clear dream').

Back