• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
...I thought of almost naked TV presenters in very cold water...

iu

Professor Alice Roberts

:p

maximus otter

According to the 1904 OS 25-inch (c1:2500) map of the area, it was once a quarry.
Thanks

I've walked alone on Dartmoor, Exmoor and trails that wind through fields and woods with hardly a soul about (including some supposedly haunted places) and never felt afraid. But something about that lane and that area in particular used to put my senses on high alert and I was always glad to get back on the road as it was an oppressive feeling.

Have to mention that as a young child I learned the word 'giblets' (as in chicken innards) shortly before 'gibbet' and their meanings became confused.

Had our Sunday roast bird suffered an unnecessarily ignominious slaughter? Were all executed felons drawn?

I'm still not sure.

Have to mention that as a young child I learned the word 'giblets' (as in chicken innards) shortly before 'gibbet' and their meanings became confused.

Had our Sunday roast bird suffered an unnecessarily ignominious slaughter? Were all executed felons drawn?

I'm still not sure.
No, but they were hung....

Weird village? Niton on the Isle of Wight. Even to islanders, those in Niton are considered ... strange. A common joke is that Niton is twinned with itself.
One time, I was changing bus in the village and had about an hour to kill. Sauntered into the open-doored pub, nodded to the barman and three blokes nursing pints of beer. It was about 1 o'clock in the afternoon, summertime.
"Sorry, we're closed."
"Uh ... can I use your loo?"
Barman nods. I do so and happily wait for the hour outside at the bus stop.

I'm still not sure.
My mother learned to cook when she came to England, she also learned colloquial English at the same time*- she always referred to Chicken Gibbets, I did not realise these were two separate things until I started domestic science at school.

*Using a "Junkie" for the washing up was a particular favourite, although I think my brother still has nightmares about shopping for unisex jeans.

And they'd sometimes come in a small plastic bag stuffed into said chicken (maybe they still do).
I wonder how many times they were accidentally left in when the chicken was cooked.
Not in supermarket chickens. I think you can ask the butcher for the giblets to make gravy though.

Not in supermarket chickens. I think you can ask the butcher for the giblets to make gravy though.
An upmarket butcher in the next town sells packs of turkey giblets separately, around xmas time and after.
When I kept dogs I'd buy the giblets as treats. Dogs love offal.* The cats enjoyed the necks.
50p a go, bit of boiling, happy pets.

Turkey necks are gigantic. I was once given a carrier bag full of them, freshly skinned, from a poultry farm.
Made a massive pot of meaty soup that fed my brood for days.

*Yes, I do indeed have a story about that. :chuckle:

And they'd sometimes come in a small plastic bag stuffed into said chicken (maybe they still do).
I wonder how many times they were accidentally left in when the chicken was cooked.
This happens in The Sopranos, when it's a sign that the woman who does it has her mind on other things. :nods:

Specifically, she has a serious crush on one of her gangster husband's particularly skilled and brutal enforcers.
Any man caught getting too close to the Boss's wife might be said to be at risk of being roasted with his giblets in, or summat.

Are you subtly trying to confess to something? You know, like mass murder maybe? No-one here would hold it against you….. I mean, we all have to have a hobby!
It all sounds very Murder She Wrote - and I have long suspected Jessica Fletcher of being a serial killer fitting up innocent people.

Back