• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
MMW: Is this the 'Darned house' by any chance? - http://g.co/maps/hrszm

If not, could you link to the location?

I have an old (now ornamental) milepost/stone in my back garden with 'Duns' and 'Exomh' written on it. Any idea where Exomh is? The 'h' at the end end is in lower case so it may be a longer place name that ends with an 'h'.

That is a very lonely-looking house indeed. It doesn't look completely abandoned - the doors are intact and the gates look fairly new. I guess a farmer who owns the land may have managed to keep the vandals away.

Looks like V's been hiding out there, from the right angle you can see him peeking out of the window. :lol:

VsHideout.jpg

BlackRiverFalls said:
Looks like V's been hiding out there, from the right angle you can see him peeking out of the window. :lol:

Lol! Also, if you scroll the street view image upward, you'll see V's good friend, uh, Sir Purple Orb has been hanging out there as well:

http://g.co/maps/zhfef

:D !!

I have read so many extremely weird and intriguing tales on here, that I cannot possibly even remember them all, but a few favorites do come to mind.....The Transdimensional Gas Station, Black Stick Men, Creepy Dolls That Move About on Their Own, or the Night Hag..to name a few. I admit I think back to these from time to time because they are so utterly fascinating. Now I will be adding "Terrifying Scottish Village" to my list of favorites.

I don't know if it's the identical men, women and dogs, the drunk who drives his tractor back and forth to the bar, or the weirdo who is trying to paint horses another color, but I have to say that this is one thread I won't soon forget!

Thank you, Mister Mister Wisty! I loved your whole post and the way in which you wrote it. You're a breath of fresh paranormal air on the message boards!!
:D

I have an old (now ornamental) milepost/stone in my back garden with 'Duns' and 'Exomh' written on it. Any idea where Exomh is? The 'h' at the end end is in lower case so it may be a longer place name that ends with an 'h'.

There is a village called Edrom in that area, I wonder if that's what the milestone is referring to, maybe using an old-fashioned spelling of it.

Does this milestone have any distances on it ?

If so, should be fairly easy to work out where 'Exomh' is.

INT21

2011 I can't believe nobody asked for a photo :(

finley909 if you are here, please can we have a photo? pass it to admin if you have a new ident and don't want to blow your cover! :friends:

I just checked google maps, and it says Edrom is 4 miles from Duns, wonder if Exomh is a local phonetic spelling...?

PS - the only reason I've heard of Edrom is because there is an Edrom Street in the East End of Glasgow and I always wondered where the name had come from - found out a few years ago when driving past a roadsign in the area!

Interesting necro thread!

I once had to spend a day working in a small Scottish village 15-20 years ago. An Indian family had purchased the village shop so the locals just burnt it and sprayed f**k off p*** on the boarded up windows. I can totally believe the villagers bizarre animosity to anyone not local - real life league of gentleman stuff.

Interesting necro thread!

I once had to spend a day working in a small Scottish village 15-20 years ago. An Indian family had purchased the village shop so the locals just burnt it and sprayed f**k off p*** on the boarded up windows. I can totally believe the villagers bizarre animosity to anyone not local - real life league of gentleman stuff.
I lived in a small Scottish village on the east coast for two years in the early 1970s. I've lived in many places as a forces brat incomer, and there was always some problems, but in this respect this small Scottish village was the best posting of many, by far. I don't recall being victimised, bullied or persecuted in any way. Sure I was English, but no-one seemed to hold it against me, although being a Leeds United fan was a source of some amusement to Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen fans alike.

Yes, I think that other suggestion is probably correct. It was a long time ago so my memory is not perfect, but that looks very much as though it's the place. As I said, precise locations in that area are a bit jumbled, so google maps may not be correct in saying where everything is to the nearest half-mile. But that row of cottages looks about right.

Anyway, I promised you an odd tale concerning that standing-stone, so here it is. Incidentally, you can find that location very easily indeed because it's clearly visible from the main road if you look to your left just before you you drive into Lauder (or your right if you're going North). The whole place is sheep country, and for commercial reasons, nearly all of those sheep are female. If you ramble around the countryside, you very seldom see a ram. So one day in the Spring c. 1989 (same time-frame as previous tale), I was walking up that hill, just because it's a nice gentle hill to walk up, and you get a good view. As I approached the top, I heard a peculiar noise. It sounded like somebody banging in fence-posts with a sledge-hammer, but it was curiously irregular. I assumed that a farmer was doing that very thing, but irregularly because he was tired. What it in fact turned out to be was every ram for many miles around - dozens of them. They had all toiled up that hill and formed a circle around that incredibly phallic stone to do their head-butting thing! The only ewes present were the usual number I'd expect to see there randomly, and they looked distinctly unimpressed.

It was an amazing sight which I didn't appreciate for long because the rams were so into it that I was afraid they'd have a go at me just because I was there. And in those days, we didn't all have phones that took pictures, so I can't prove it - I was hoping that somebody else might have witnessed this same implausible sight at that location. But it really did happen, and possibly it happens every Spring, though I'm afraid I can't give you a precise date. The fact that the standing stone is not particularly old just adds to the mystery - it seems that sheep, despite being famously stupid, are going with pure Freudian symbolism! There's another even more peculiar tale told about that immediate area, but I cannot personally vouch for it. But the ram thing around the monolith? I saw it. I don't live there any more, but if somebody does, they could very likely get video of this round about March. Honestly, male sheep climb up that particular hill with a phallic symbol on top to do something incredibly macho! I'm not making this up! I would be absolutely delighted if somebody who lives in the area could prove it!

This is of course not strictly supernatural, but it does strike me as distinctly Fortean. Maybe there is some biological reason why rams climb a hill every year, and the monolith is coincidental. Or maybe they coincidentally climbed that hill that one particular year because they're too stupid not to. But I think there's a very good chance I've just given you a location where something seriously odd occurs every year! I ask nothing apart from a name-check if anybody actually films this. Plus official confirmation that the Scottish Borders are downright odd.

Stayed on the west coast around Maillig ? Seen lots of rams headbutting rocks, no idea why

I lived in a small Scottish village on the east coast for two years in the early 1970s. I've lived in many places as a forces brat incomer, and there was always some problems, but in this respect this small Scottish village was the best posting of many, by far. I don't recall being victimised, bullied or persecuted in any way. Sure I was English, but no-one seemed to hold it against me, although being a Leeds United fan was a source of some amusement to Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen fans alike.
I suspect that the 70s would have had less Nationalism than more recent times.
In tiny Cornish villages in the early 80s I had pubs go silent and tense before they even heard my voice - just an unfamiliar face was enough to get a hostile reaction.
Those same places are now probably Gastro pubs for tourists LOL

Somewhere I wrote about playing a game of cricket in a tiny remote village in Norfolk that had pretty much the same vibe to it.... north and West Norfolk are regions that have the same sense of remoteness to them that you're describing in Scotland, one of the few areas of England where you're on the margins, at the edge, with small population centres bypassed by everywhere else, a land which time forgot. Is this a manifestation of the same phenomenon? I want to find those original postings now; I recall the place wasn't an impossible distance away from the Royal weekend cottage at Sandringham and speculated about it having a royal warrant to provide village idiots to the Crown...

that is awful! :( presumably not /all/ the locals? did you get the feel it was the colour or the incoming or..... :( :( :(

I think you should name and shame. In a PM to me if not on in the open here.

In a recent thread an extremely wise and handsome poster wrote: "NUKE ALL SMALL SETTLEMENTS FROM ORBIT."

I shall leave his august words here.

Why don't we just nuke everything a little bit interesting and be done with it? And anything slightly challenging while we're at it.

I'm not not referring here to the place that AgProv is talking about (19/12/[email protected]) above, but Little Walsingham in Norfolk seems a bit freaky to me. It's not a tiny hamlet, but is a smallish village. 'Famous' for it's shrine, and was a major pilgrimage destination (and still is to some extent).. Anyway, it has a REALLY weird vibe to it. First time I drove through it, it spooked me - proper feeling like a shadow has passed over you and hair standing up on your arms type stuff. I took a friend who was visiting me from London through there once on the way to Wells Next The Sea, and she said - with no prompting from me - something along the lines of "God, this placed is REALLY creepy". Strange place.

Somewhere I wrote about playing a game of cricket in a tiny remote village in Norfolk that had pretty much the same vibe to it.... north and West Norfolk are regions that have the same sense of remoteness to them that you're describing in Scotland, one of the few areas of England where you're on the margins, at the edge, with small population centres bypassed by everywhere else, a land which time forgot. Is this a manifestation of the same phenomenon? I want to find those original postings now; I recall the place wasn't an impossible distance away from the Royal weekend cottage at Sandringham and speculated about it having a royal warrant to provide village idiots to the Crown...
Just been back through old postings and spent an entertaining time reading old submissions and the replies to them; it's nice to see that when the forums changed hosts, the facility still exists to trawl back through old submissions and a hearty thank-you for this. But you can only go back so far: it appears my original post about the village full of idiots in Norfolk wasn't preserved as a link because it's too old. It's probably still out there somewhere - just can't locate it, for now. Ah well...

I'm not not referring here to the place that AgProv is talking about (19/12/[email protected]) above, but Little Walsingham in Norfolk seems a bit freaky to me. It's not a tiny hamlet, but is a smallish village. 'Famous' for it's shrine, and was a major pilgrimage destination (and still is to some extent).. Anyway, it has a REALLY weird vibe to it. First time I drove through it, it spooked me - proper feeling like a shadow has passed over you and hair standing up on your arms type stuff. I took a friend who was visiting me from London through there once on the way to Wells Next The Sea, and she said - with no prompting from me - something along the lines of "God, this placed is REALLY creepy". Strange place.

Just had a quick walk through of Little Walsingham on Street View . I'm not familiar with Norfolk at all but I presume it's typical of villages in that county. Certainly the very narrow High St with it's original buildings would give me a feeling of claustrophobia, even driving through. Was that the type of feeling you were experiencing?

Just been back through old postings and spent an entertaining time reading old submissions and the replies to them; it's nice to see that when the forums changed hosts, the facility still exists to trawl back through old submissions and a hearty thank-you for this. But you can only go back so far: it appears my original post about the village full of idiots in Norfolk wasn't preserved as a link because it's too old. It's probably still out there somewhere - just can't locate it, for now. Ah well...

I suspect you're referring to this 2016 post:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/incest-is-best.9237/page-7#post-1579853

You have it. Thank you.

...Little Walsingham in Norfolk seems a bit freaky to me. It's not a tiny hamlet, but is a smallish village. Anyway, it has a REALLY weird vibe to it. First time I drove through it, it spooked me...

Odd. l’ve been to Walsingham three or four times, both by car and on my bicycle via the excellent Wells and Walsingham Light Railway. I’ve never had any vibe from the place other than quaint and charming. Try the Caley’s Marching Chocolate!

maximus otter

I can't just now recall where, and in what context, but I've recently heard Mark Gattis tell a story of a trip to (I think) Bamburgh. It was somewhere he had looked forward to visiting, but as soon as he arrived a sense of unease descended upon him - becoming so pervasive that he had to leave.

I am used to travelling for work and pleasure and generally don't have any negative side effects with new places. However, on occasion, it has happened, and I recognise that sense of growing but inexplicable unease - but I wonder if this is sometimes a side effect of a natural mechanism. I wonder if when we enter an unfamiliar space there is a part of our brain that recalibrates to the new environment - a sort of unconscious remapping - and that if something unpredicted, odd, or just a bit out of the ordinary occurs during this process it irrevocably knocks our sense of our place within the immediate environmental context (and it would not have to be anything spectacularly weird - possibly the more subtle, the more powerful, because our conscious mind is not left with anything obvious to latch on to).

I should add that I don’t propose that this would be a blanket explanation for every incidence of environmental unease – but that it might explain something I’ve come to think of as ‘travellers angst’.

Back