• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Creepy Things Children Say

Reminds me of the Billy Connolly story of the Glasgow kid sent on a school trip to a farm. His father is asking him about it and the kid replies:

"It was great, there were pigs - they're filthy- and cows, and sheep and fuckers and chickens, I liked the chickens."
"Whoa." says dad, "What was that before the chickens?"
"Sheep?"
"No, after them."
"Oh! The fuckers, they were OK."
"That isn't what the teacher called them is it?"
"No. She said they were heifers, but we knew what she meant."

Reminds me of the Billy Connolly story of the Glasgow kid sent on a school trip to a farm. His father is asking him about it and the kid replies:

"It was great, there were pigs - they're filthy- and cows, and sheep and fuckers and chickens, I liked the chickens."
"Whoa." says dad, "What was that before the chickens?"
"Sheep?"
"No, after them."
"Oh! The fuckers, they were OK."
"That isn't what the teacher called them is it?"
"No. She said they were heifers, but we knew what she meant."
I heard that exact story in a Radio 4 Book of the Week some years ago. :nods:

Re: the green cows comments, I wonder if the child had seen Holstein cattle and misheard and heard it as "green".

Also, children, even at a relatively young age, do have a funny sense of humour. I would not put it past her that she was teasing. Especially as her older sister said she was. Siblings know each other much better than anyone else.
Depends how they were pronouncing Holstein. I've only heard it pronounced 'Hol-stine'. There must be people who pronounce it 'Hol-steen' though.

Depends how they were pronouncing Holstein. I've only heard it pronounced 'Hol-stine'. There must be people who pronounce it 'Hol-steen' though.
If you've ever studied German, then words with that ending almost pronounce themselves! I remember being taught that "ein" is pronounced "eye-n", and "ien" is always "een". Anyway, about those grien cows...

If you've ever studied German, then words with that ending almost pronounce themselves! I remember being taught that "ein" is pronounced "eye-n", and "ien" is always "een". Anyway, about those grien cows...
Yes, that's why I pronounce it Hol-stine, because that's how it ought to be pronounced, but it seemed a bit rude to say so.

:nods: Like the surname Epstein. It's pronounced differently between (say) the Beatles' late manager Brian and the more recently-deceased and less-mourned Jeffrey.

My basic learning of spoken German made easy sense:
I before E, pronounced E.
E before I, pronounced I.
Frankenstein is pronounced Franken- stine.

And not Frunken-steen. ;)

I pronounce it Holsteen, that is how everyone I know pronounces it. I didn't learn German until I was an adult so I recognize that Holsteen is incorrect, it should be Holstine. And remembering some German it is how I remember how to spell Whitley Stieber's name.

Nope never took German. I never considered what language it might be. I grew up on a dairy farm with holstein cattle:). That's how I always heard it, if someone happened to be talking about the breed, so not often.

The area I grew up was rural with several dairy farms (mostly holstein cattle) and the area did not have any German Canadian people. We were mostly Canadian with English, Scottish, Irish and some Dutch (Netherlands). I never heard it pronounced "holstine".

My basic learning of spoken German made easy sense:
I before E, pronounced E.
E before I, pronounced I.
Frankenstein is pronounced Franken- stine.

And not Frunken-steen. ;)
No, it's i before e except after c.

Your rules make no sense:evillaugh:

Back on subject, and I didn't think this was creepy, but my grandson once asked me "Do you remember when I was big and you were little?" He was 3 at the time.

My cousin that I babysat for when I was 16 and she was 3 would get up in the morning and tell me things like "Last night my house caught on fire and my mamma and sister and me burned up, but it is ok now, I have a new mamma and sister", another time she said "Last night I drownded, I was a priate and the navy shot my ship and it sank and I sank with it. I was a bad man." We lived in the desert, maybe she saw a movie about pirates, but I don't think so, we didn't watch tv much. It was very personal for her.

Frankenstein is pronounced Franken- stine. And not Frunken-steen.

1706719134519.png

"It's 'Fronkensteen'!!!!"

Found a old pic of me looking a very young 26, I asked the wife how old did I look in the pic
she said 16 asked the daughter she said 24 when I told the daughter what the wife said
she said no those eyes had seen more than a 16 year olds,
:dunno:

Exactly.
The whole "Am I the Asshole Here" genre of social media content turns out to be fake.
This is what happens when you get monetisation, and income, regardless of content.
You don't have to be truthful, interesting, or even good - generate views and you get paid.

Exactly.
The whole "Am I the Asshole Here" genre of social media content turns out to be fake.
This is what happens when you get monetisation, and income, regardless of content.
You don't have to be truthful, interesting, or even good - generate views and you get paid.
I am not sure that people are getting posting for posting their anecdotes on Facebook to be honest

Could be a typo. Maybe it was the mother who, ahem, "shot" herself due to the frighting nature of the incident?
just check- id id answer this earlier- Ive had a weird 18months and this event is one that stands out clearly.

You find many link to Reddit AITAH and other platforms.
However, FB engagement can be monetised. So the more 'outrageous' reaction-bait that goes up, the more money the group's 'owner'.
Group owners do not get paid on FB

No ... but they can sell the 'group' (as a non-FB financial transaction) along with it's membership to unscrupulous organisations, making them look legit. That's how clickbait works.

Back