• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Creepy Things Children Say

onetwothree

Sigils, Prosecco and crying are my main talents.
Apologies if I've put this in the wrong place - please move it if it needs to be moved!

Reddit asked parents to share some of the creepy things their young children had said to them. A couple of examples:

My five-year-old at the time had night terrors and would scream in her sleep. One night I said 'mama's here it's okay'. She looked right at me still asleep and screamed 'mama? But who is that behind you?

and

I don't have kids, but once, visiting some friends on a farm, my buddy's youngest girl (5 or 6) at the time, was afraid of the chickens. I tried to explain to her that the chickens weren't there to hurt us but she wasn't having it.
So I'm sitting around the fire pit, looking at one of the chickens a few feet in front of me when I feel hot breath in my ear as she whispers:
"See. He's always watching."
Horrific and hysterical all at once.

Link here. Enjoy!

Some of those kids say the freakiest things. Little psychopaths-in-training.

This was posted on another thread somewhere...

Whoops. I took a cursory look round...must have missed it.

Reddit said:
After reading through most of these, I have come to the conclusion that imaginary friends are in fact, dead people.

Or at least not as imaginary as we would like to think...

Those ones where the kid says "the man", "what man?", kid points over the parents shoulder to empty space. :shock:

Although if all the reincarnation implying ones are taken at face value, why is the population increasing ? Do we get spontaneous "virgin" souls out for a first trip ?

I read that elsewhere last night while in the house alone. Bad move.

The past life things and the talking to people who aren't there... :shock:

Another strike in the 'Not having kids' column!

The worst ones are those where the children talk about their former lives and deaths. :shock:

Oh! I thought this was my thread in chat. Ooops.

Many years ago I was fixing up an old house. Since we had little money I did much of the work myself and would sometimes work late into the night on weekends.

One Friday night around midnight I was working alone on the front porch. My wife and 3 year old daughter had gone to bed. It was very quiet, and dark except for the circle of light cast by my worklight. Earlier that day I had read an old Stephen King short story called The Boogeyman. I can generally read scary stories and laugh them off, but this one got under my skin; I found it very distrubing and was having a hard time getting the image of The Boogeyman out of my head.

Somehow, for inexplicable some reason, my little daughter woke up, got out of bed, bypassed her sleeping mother, and went searching for me. Incredibly, she wandered out the back door of the house and came around to the front and up onto the porch where I was working. Without me seeing or hearing her. I was kneeling, absorbed in work and trying very hard to stop thinking about The Boogeyman.

Apparently unsure how to get my attention, she came up to within a foot of the back of my head and said, in a quiet, breathy voice, "Hhhaaahhhhh!"

XX" ”
? (? ?) ”
XXiO?

O M F G

The one that always fills me with an unnameable cosmic terror is when someone else's oh so loveable mewling bundle of dribble takes time out from losing one of its shoes, shouting and hitting things when it's natural position of being in charge appears to be under threat, and visibly accelerating the aging process of it's grimly adoring parents at an unbelievable speed, points at me and says 'daddy'.

The horror! The horror!

TangletwigsDeux said:
Although if all the reincarnation implying ones are taken at face value, why is the population increasing ? Do we get spontaneous "virgin" souls out for a first trip ?

My mother-in-law figures this explains all the psychopaths roaming about in the world these days. First timers. :p

Spookdaddy said:
The one that always fills me with an unnameable cosmic terror is when someone else's oh so loveable mewling bundle of dribble takes time out from losing one of its shoes, shouting and hitting things when it's natural position of being in charge appears to be under threat, and visibly accelerating the aging process of it's grimly adoring parents at an unbelievable speed, points at me and says 'daddy'.

The horror! The horror!

In a sort of twisted reversal of your situation, Spookdaddy, not just one, but two of my children have mistaken Alan Davies for their father when they were toddlers. Running up to the television and shouting "daddy, daddy!" Their father's reaction to that was pretty much the same as yours. :lol:

onetwothree said:
Apologies if I've put this in the wrong place - please move it if it needs to be moved!
No probs - Lymeswoldsnork posted the same story in General Forteana so I've welded your threads together.

My mother was born in the war and shortly after remembers being pushed past some bomb damaged houses, she was still young enough to be pushed around in a pram. She remembers seeing crosses painted on the doors of the houses that were due to be demolished and thinking, 'we shouldn't go in those houses, people in there are sick and we would catch it and die'.

Two things I've heard on buses.

A boy of about 5 or 6 was having this conversation with his mum while the bus was at a red light:

"Why can't the bus just go forward?"
"Because it'll go over those cars in front."
"What's wrong with that?"
"The driver would get in trouble."
"It's his bus, he can do what he wants."
"No, he'd get arrested."
"I could kill him, then he wouldn't get arrested."

From a frightened little girl and her mother in the back seat:

"Mummy, Michael Jackson's in that car."
"No, Michael Jackson's gone. You don't have to be scared of him anymore."
"No, mummy, Michael Jackson's in that car."

Oh, that's precious, that is.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

garrick92 said:
marionXXX said:
She remembers seeing crosses painted on the doors of the houses that were due to be demolished and thinking, 'we shouldn't go in those houses, people in there are sick and we would catch it and die'.

Does she have any other memories of the Great Plague...?

Not the plague but one or two other pre-birth historical memories.

My sister told me a strange question my 9 year old nephew asked her recently, I'll try to word it as well as I remember.

Nephew: Mummy, do you remember when it wasn't me in my body?
Ma: What do you mean?
Nephew: Remember when it was someone else in my body and I was watching from outside?
Ma: When was this?
Nephew: Before I was 3.
Ma: And where were you if you weren't in your body?
Nephew: Outside, watching with nothing all around.

There was possibly more. My sister loves talking to him he comes out with some strange things.

A colleague told me the following story:

His son of about 13 had a friend, Joe, whose home life was chaotic so he more or less lived with them. Long story short, Joe accidentally hanged himself in the house.

All very upsetting. Soon afterwards the family's youngest child, who was 2 and just learning to talk, began pointing and saying 'Joe's here!'

She hadn't been present for any of the drama and nobody talked about Joe in front of her. It spooked everyone out so much that the family eventually moved away.

Last edited:
The other day while driving with my son in the back he said the following

"Mommy. Daddy.. Your going to die soon"

At this point you start to have some sort of horror theme music playing in your head as he then continues to spot Wally in his book he was reading as though nothing happened.

In context it wasn't actually that bad has he has recently been having a whole "death" curiosity. Possibly brought on by the fact he is at a Church of England school and they had just finished the whole Jesus story about how he died and then came back to life etc...

But at the time....

My sister told me a strange question my 9 year old nephew asked her recently, I'll try to word it as well as I remember.

Nephew: Mummy, do you remember when it wasn't me in my body?
Ma: What do you mean?
Nephew: Remember when it was someone else in my body and I was watching from outside?
Ma: When was this?
Nephew: Before I was 3.
Ma: And where were you if you weren't in your body?
Nephew: Outside, watching with nothing all around.

There was possibly more. My sister loves talking to him he comes out with some strange things.

I tried to get more information out of my nephew on christmas day last year, but he got all shy and walked away.

Today was my second go. He was asking me a bunch of questions about my childhood so I mentioned I had a question for him. He recalls saying what he said to my sister but the reason for thinking it was someone else in his body was that he cannot remember the first three years of his life, before nursery.

I'm disappointed that it wasn't more creepy, but there you go.

He's 10 now and I've caught him watching stuff on youtube about strange animals, record breakers, ect. Hopefully he'll be a wee fortean.

...I mentioned I had a question for him. He recalls saying what he said to my sister but the reason for thinking it was someone else in his body was that he cannot remember the first three years of his life, before nursery.

I'm disappointed that it wasn't more creepy, but there you go.

That did go some way to reversing the shivers that your earlier post gave me! But then again, how many of us can remember anything before the age of 3? Maybe what he said first was the truth - perhaps we all start off as floating souls, just waiting to be parachuted into the freshly-grown body of a 3-year-old...

Maybe what he said first was the truth - perhaps we all start off as floating souls, just waiting to be parachuted into the freshly-grown body of a 3-year-old...

I did explain this to him, none of us remember our first few years.

My sister and I spoke about him afterwards, she can't remember all the stuff he came out with at the time, but there was a lot.

I wish I had quizzed him a bit better (I should have at least read the post here, I forgot about the floating outside the body). When I first brought it up tonight he said "I couldn't do anything until I was 3". Perhaps he was happy to end the conversation with me believing it was because he couldn't remember.

He'll maybe come round but it may be a case of trust with him, he gets kept going a fair bit about the things he comes out with, I'll give him some time and try again.

When my youngest granddaughter was small and I was minding her, I put on one of the music boxes to amuse her.
She said " I was married in 1913 and I remember that music".
She also asked what was my husband's mother's name again and said " Oh yes that's right' and talked about someone wearing a blazer.

I heard a story recently related by a parenting expert on the radio.

A couple were very worried by their 5yo, who was upset and having trouble sleeping, saying, "the master is in my head".

Obviously this put the shits up them no end.

Later, when things had subsided a bit, they were in a toy shop with the kid, who pointed to a poster and said, "oh look there's the master."

It was Yoda.

Last edited:
I heard a story recently related by a parenting expert on the radio.

A couple were very worried by their 5yo, who was upset and having trouble sleeping, saying, "the master is in my head".

Obviously this put the shits up them no end.

Later, when things had subsided a bit, they were in a toy shop with the kid, who pointed to a poster and said, "oh look there's a master."

It was Yoda.
Spooked I am.

Back