• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Creepy Things Children Say

When my youngest granddaughter was small and I was minding her, I put on one of the music boxes to amuse her.
She said " I was married in 1913 and I remember that music".
She also asked what was my husband's mother's name again and said " Oh yes that's right' and talked about someone wearing a blazer.

What was the tune?

I suspect humour but isn't a blazer part of a school uniform? On the subject of which, whatever happened to school caps - are they still around?

I suspect humour but isn't a blazer part of a school uniform? On the subject of which, whatever happened to school caps - are they still around?

Yup, I used to wear a blazer to school, primary and secondary.

It was 14 years ago so I'm not positive about the tune as I have several music boxes.
I have a feeling it was Sur le pont D'Avignon as the tinkly rhythm seems about right.
I used to wear a blazer to school but I think they were worn a lot in maybe the 1920's?

I had to wear a blazer and cap until I switched schools at the age of 13. We also weren't allowed to use a sports bag and had to have a brief case instead. We used to take our caps off walking to and from school so we didn't get into fights with lads from another nearby school ... the only problem with that was if a prefect spotted you not wearing your cap to and from school, you were given a detention so you couldn't really win either way.

I've got a friend who in the past was an occasional poster here. Shortly after she and her family moved into a new rental place in Melbourne, her son - who would have been about two at the time - came up with this gem.

"There was a man in the wall" (in his bedroom).

My friend "Oh. Was he a nice man?"

Kid: "No. He was broken."

She later had a couple of incidents where she thought she saw a figure standing over her child's bed, but then there was of course nothing when she went to investigate.

You'll be pleased to hear they have moved now!

A clue that many of these childhood utterances may be no more that an inability to communicate clearly comes from my elderly mother's second childhood.

As mentioned often on here she has dementia and has had for the last 5 years. In the first two she was frequently casually refering to dead relatives as if they were alive and in the house, as well as other visitations.

I was particularly spooked when she repeatedly spoke of the little woman..and of the old man who sat in the chair saying nothing.

I excitedly came to report these visions onhere when I paused, thought, and asked her..little woman..old man in chair..."do you mean Mrs Brown?"

"Yeah"

From the first link.

Jmersh 312 points 3 years ago*

'My wife was getting my 2yr old son up one morning. He was standing in his bed/crib. As she said good morning and walked over to him he picked up her shirt a little and crooked his head to the side. She asked him what he was doing and he said, "looking for my baby sister in your tummy." She laughed it off as a weird kid imagination thing. We found out later that at the time she was 2 weeks pregnant and it was, in fact, a girl. We are due in September. We had never really had the talk about where babies come from nor did we talk about having another child at all around him. So spooky.'

My daughter (almost 5 years old) was playing with her babydoll on the couch next to me. I wasnt really listening to her to her chatter but I perked up when I heard her say 'This is George Washington. When you see him, don't be scared, just say thank you and tell him what you like about him.) I didn't say anything but I was confused where she had learned about George Washinton. Were they talking about him at school?
About a half hour later I casually asked, 'Hey hon, who's George Washington?' She replied to me 'He's a man who lives in the sky who did a nice thing for us so we have to say thank you. But I can visit him or I can jump up and pull him down.' I think my daughter is getting confused about some stuff..lol
She has said some creepier stuff when she was a baby I'll have to put up a little later when I've got a minute.

Okay when my daughter was very small, still a baby eating in the high chair or sitting on the floor, she would stare up above our heads at the ceiling behind us. Enough so that my husband and I would always look and ask each other what she was staring at. This was in a very 'active' apartment.
Later when she was about 18 months to 2 years old we were driving past an old church/cemetary and my daughter pipes up 'the babies are crying' and said nothing else. About this same time, she was staying the night with my mom and my mother had her pack-n-play set up next to the couch by the stairs in the living room. She said my daughter started to try dragging the playpen to the opposite side of the room. She asked my daughter why she was doing this and she replied 'the man up there scares me' as she pointed to the corner above the couch. My mom said it gave her a cold chill as her house is pretty 'active' (my husband and I had moved from the apartment a year before and not told my daughter about the staring).
She is ok now but my daughter also used to complain about monsters trying to get her all the time even in the daytime. So far these are the creepiest things I remember her doing.

Our grandson is four years old.

His mum was walking him home from school last week (she is a key worker) when he said "Mum". She said "Yes Leon", to which he replied "I have no future".

I reckon that he must have got it from the TV or somewhere similar, but strange nonetheless.

Children understand and remember much more than we think, they accept things that adults would
find strange, never underestimate a child their brain is like a big sponge soaking things up.
Only adults have problems with child proof bottles.

I have a china palmistry hand on my kitchen dresser. The first time my (just) three year old granddaughter saw it she said “Wow! You have one of those magic hands that tells the future!” No clue where she got that from. She’s also obsessed with skulls. If she wasn’t a goth in a former life, I’m hoping she’ll be one this time round.
My friends son, when he was about the same age, used to talk about when he was an old man with a scary, wrinkled face and long hair called Johnny. It was very freaky....

There was a tv series The Ghost Inside My Child? I think were they investigated such things, interesting I thought.
Yes, it was quite a good series although it padded out the material a bit. Some of the cases were very impressive, especially when the children's stories could be checked out objectively. The title was a bit over-the-top though.

When my daughter was about two, it wasnt so much what she said, but she would be sitting playing one minute, then be staring at the wall, id ask what she was looking at and she would just point at the spot she was looking at and grin.
-Shudder-

A clue that many of these childhood utterances may be no more that an inability to communicate clearly comes from my elderly mother's second childhood.

As mentioned often on here she has dementia and has had for the last 5 years. In the first two she was frequently casually refering to dead relatives as if they were alive and in the house, as well as other visitations.

I was particularly spooked when she repeatedly spoke of the little woman..and of the old man who sat in the chair saying nothing.

I excitedly came to report these visions onhere when I paused, thought, and asked her..little woman..old man in chair..."do you mean Mrs Brown?"

"Yeah"

Yup, during the televised Winter Olympics Techy's mother used to tell us about her lovely ski-ing holiday.

She also enjoyed deep sea fishing and participating in the Tour de France.

We assumed someone at the care home had been channel-hopping! :chuckle:

Our grandson is four years old.

His mum was walking him home from school last week (she is a key worker) when he said "Mum". She said "Yes Leon", to which he replied "I have no future".

I reckon that he must have got it from the TV or somewhere similar, but strange nonetheless.

One of my sons, aged about 7, once burst into the front room and shouted 'You're all HYPOCRITES!'
Dunno where he had that from but it must've sounded suitably angry.

And where do kids these days pick up the word 'blazer'?
Children are like sponges, absorbing snippets of conversation from everywhere, on buses, tv and radio. It's not surprising then if a child hears something then repeats this at the most inappropriate moment, say like at night or before bed, when taken out of context can seem rather disconcerting.

They most certainly do at most schools.
I wouldnt saw 'most' but definately a lot do, i never did and neither did any of the other schools in my town, only the kids from the posh school out of town wore blazers, and they were the only school that united the tow school factions into universal hatred of the 'outsiders', usually we just fought amongst ourselves but if the blazer kids came into the town they were fair game and old feuds were forgotten in an uneasy alliance against them lol

I wouldnt saw 'most' but definately a lot do, i never did and neither did any of the other schools in my town, only the kids from the posh school out of town wore blazers, and they were the only school that united the tow school factions into universal hatred of the 'outsiders', usually we just fought amongst ourselves but if the blazer kids came into the town they were fair game and old feuds were forgotten in an uneasy alliance against them lol
Depends where you are. Here its part of the school uniform for all schools. So in actual fact for me it's all.

Depends where you are. Here its part of the school uniform for all schools. So in actual fact for me it's all.
Fair play, no foul :p
TBH ive noticed that since the old secondary schools all became 'academies' more and more are having blazers as part of their uniform, just stating the situation when i grew up :D

My aunt gave me a doll and asked me what I was going to call it. I said 'Amelia'. I distinctly remember her and my mum (her sister) staring and then wittering on to one another about how I could have come up with that name when I'd never heard it before.

Of course I'd heard it. I don't remember where or when but it could have been someone in a crowd or a casual mention as I passed someone. I knew it was a name and I knew it was a girl's name.

And the inside of the doll's head, when I pulled it off, smelled 'Amelia' (I was quite synasthaesic as a child).

Back