• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
That is a truly scary-looking set of teeth...brrr

As a bystander: thank you for the names, details, explanations!

And those really are cool teeth :eek:

Dingo destroyed after lunging at 11-year-old girl at Eli Creek on Fraser Island
Rangers had been monitoring the Eli Creek area following reports of a dingo displaying aggressive behaviour.

That behaviour included an interaction with two teenage girls on December 27, where the dingo had to be chased off by a passer-by with a stick.

On January 1, the dingo threatened a woman who was rescued by a passer-by and a patrolling ranger.

Shortly afterwards, the same dingo stalked a group of people before lunging aggressively at the 11-year-old child at Eli Creek.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-...lunging-at-11yo-girl-on-fraser-island/5997666

Dingo destroyed after lunging at 11-year-old girl at Eli Creek on Fraser Island

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-...lunging-at-11yo-girl-on-fraser-island/5997666
Yep...Dingo pups are usually born between May and August (the winter period), but in tropical regions, breeding can occur at any time of the year.[6]

I know we target foxes up here (the Tablelands) opportunistically in September when the vixen is in her den, and when the male is hunting for both of them. The male fox get's less choosy about it's tucker and will go the lambs, which are on the ground in May, and also September. We get very few fox strikes on lambs in may though.

I wonder if this agressive behaviour (attacking young humans) is normal hunting for a male dingo who's mate has young'ns. I mention this because Azaria was taken in August which ties in with the breeding season in the Centre for dingoes.

Not an attack but seeing as this is a dingo thread:

A major study of dingo DNA has revealed dingoes most likely migrated to Australia in two separate waves via a former land bridge with Papua New Guinea.

The find has significant implications for conservation, with researchers recommending the two genetically distinct populations of dingoes – in the south-east and north-west of the country – be treated as different groups for management and conservation purposes.

"Care should be taken not to move dingoes between the different wild populations," says study first author and UNSW Sydney scientist Dr Kylie Cairns. "And captive breeding programs should ensure the two dingo populations are maintained separately, with genetic testing used to identify ancestry."

Dr Cairns says there is also an urgent need to prevent further inter-breeding between domestic dogs and the south-eastern population of dingoes, which is threatened by genetic dilution, habitat loss and lethal control measures such as baiting and the recently reintroduced wild dog bounty in Victoria.

"Effective containment or neutering of male dogs in rural areas may help achieve this reduction in inter-breeding," says Dr Cairns, of the School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-10-genetic-uncovers-evolutionary-history-dingoes.html#jCp

Not an attack but seeing as this is a dingo thread:

A major study of dingo DNA has revealed dingoes most likely migrated to Australia in two separate waves via a former land bridge with Papua New Guinea.

The find has significant implications for conservation, with researchers recommending the two genetically distinct populations of dingoes – in the south-east and north-west of the country – be treated as different groups for management and conservation purposes.

"Care should be taken not to move dingoes between the different wild populations," says study first author and UNSW Sydney scientist Dr Kylie Cairns. "And captive breeding programs should ensure the two dingo populations are maintained separately, with genetic testing used to identify ancestry."

Dr Cairns says there is also an urgent need to prevent further inter-breeding between domestic dogs and the south-eastern population of dingoes, which is threatened by genetic dilution, habitat loss and lethal control measures such as baiting and the recently reintroduced wild dog bounty in Victoria.

"Effective containment or neutering of male dogs in rural areas may help achieve this reduction in inter-breeding," says Dr Cairns, of the School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-10-genetic-uncovers-evolutionary-history-dingoes.html#jCp

Thai dogs:

IMG_3842001.jpg
IMG_4350001.jpg
IMG_4367001.jpg

Wery similar to the Australian Dingo - also they don't bark

Strewth! A lucky escape!

A man has fought off several dingoes to save his 14-month-old son from one of the wild dogs that was dragging the boy from their camper van on an Australian holiday island, rescue workers said.

The boy suffered deep cuts on his head in the attack on Fraser Island in Queensland, paramedic Ben Du Toit said. The family were sleeping when a dingo entered the camper van. Mr Du Toit said the parents woke as their son’s cries were fading as he was dragged away. The father ran outside and fought off several dingoes to rescue his son.

“He was apparently grabbed around the back of the neck area and dragged away. So if it wasn’t for the parents and their quick thinking and fighting off the dingoes, he probably would have had more severe injuries,” Frank Bertoli, a pilot for RACQ Life Flight, told Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

The boy was airlifted to a hospital early on Friday.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...ddler-being-dragged-away-by-dingoes-1.3865718

Strewth! A lucky escape!

A man has fought off several dingoes to save his 14-month-old son from one of the wild dogs that was dragging the boy from their camper van on an Australian holiday island, rescue workers said.

The boy suffered deep cuts on his head in the attack on Fraser Island in Queensland, paramedic Ben Du Toit said. The family were sleeping when a dingo entered the camper van. Mr Du Toit said the parents woke as their son’s cries were fading as he was dragged away. The father ran outside and fought off several dingoes to rescue his son.

“He was apparently grabbed around the back of the neck area and dragged away. So if it wasn’t for the parents and their quick thinking and fighting off the dingoes, he probably would have had more severe injuries,” Frank Bertoli, a pilot for RACQ Life Flight, told Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

The boy was airlifted to a hospital early on Friday.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...ddler-being-dragged-away-by-dingoes-1.3865718

This young fellow now has a fractured skull, deep lacerations to his neck and the back of his head, with the potential of meningitis (i sincerely hope not), all due to allowing a pack of wild animals to feed at a campsite.

Those Fraser Island Dingoes have always been cheeky due to the idiots who feed them at their campsites. In my opinion, Canines are one genera that should be kept totally wild.

It's far too late, but if you're out here, please don't feed 'em, clean your campsite before you turn in for the night, and dispose of your rubbish properly.

This young fellow now has a fractured skull, deep lacerations to his neck and the back of his head, with the potential of meningitis (i sincerely hope not), all due to allowing a pack of wild animals to feed at a campsite.

Those Fraser Island Dingoes have always been cheeky due to the idiots who feed them at their campsites. In my opinion, Canines are one genera that should be kept totally wild.

It's far too late, but if you're out here, please don't feed 'em, clean your campsite before you turn in for the night, and dispose of your rubbish properly.

And I've just fed a fox at midnight! He'll probably come in my window and attack me.

We've recently had reports of dingoes around our town since Christmas. I was talking to a family who live on the outskirts of town with their home bordering the national park that surrounds almost half of the town we live in. They had spotted 3 dogs which they'd not seen before coming in and out of the bush and had taken photos as they were spotting them more frequently. They took them into the local council ranger who verified them as dingoes. A lady who's worked for National Parks & Wildlife for over 40 years confirmed the same.

I used to catch the bus to high school with the Chamberlain's nephew. When asked about all things Azaria, he just became all sullen and very quiet. Never spoke a word to us about it.

That family copped such a hard time LL, I really was blown away by the petty minded, misogynistic bullshit that came out before, during and after the trial.

My opinions of Australians dropped a great deal, not only at the idiocy of forensic results that determined that anti rust that was part of a car manufacturers procedure could not be differentiated between human blood...I was staggered.

Also the media bullshit that the name Azaria meant 'sacrifice in the wilderness' - and then Lindy was goaled for murder/infanticide with no chance of parole. It took 32 years and 4 inquests before The commonwealth would admit that there was a probability of Azaria being taken from the family tent by Dingoes.

The Old People who lived on Country could've told them what happened...

Anyway, here's a Wiki about it all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindy_Chamberlain-Creighton

It was big news here - I remember being baffled because it seemed so obvious to me that it was a possibility that the family were right, the dingo did happen. The coverage here veered from "unfit mother does child sacrifice" to "damn ex colonials get it wrong again." Our media got it so wrong just as yours did @Mungoman :(

What is the general public mood now? Have they accepted innocense?

It was big news here - I remember being baffled because it seemed so obvious to me that it was a possibility that the family were right, the dingo did happen. The coverage here veered from "unfit mother does child sacrifice" to "damn ex colonials get it wrong again." Our media got it so wrong just as yours did @Mungoman :(

What is the general public mood now? Have they accepted innocense?

It really isn't spoken of Frides...there are still conspiracy theories voiced if you bring it up though.

You know - from those sort of people who won't allow themselves to say that they were wrong - the sort that hounded young Eve Van Grafhorst into wearing a plastic mask on her face, then hounded her and her family out of Australia...

Nah, we don't talk much about that sorta thing down 'ere Darls.

In an odd way I am relieved to discover that human nature really /is/ universal.

Lindy Chamberlain on realising her son remembered the night his sister was taken by a dingo.

Reagan was just four years old when a dingo entered the tent he was sleeping in and took his baby sister Azaria.
Comedian and TV host Anh Do was reduced to tears on Wednesday night’s episode of Anh’s Brush with Fame as Lindy Chamberlain-Creighton, now 71, relived the disappearance of two-month-old Azaria during a camping trip with then-husband Michael at Uluru in 1980.

Parents Lindy and Michael Chamberlain did not think their second son Reagan remembered the incident, but when the family got a new dog they realised how much their son was haunted by that night.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...s-taken-by-a-dingo/ar-BBWgg7r?ocid=spartandhp

Now dingoes are trying to drown children.

A young girl has been flown to hospital after she was attacked by a dingo on Australia's K'gari-Fraser Island.

The primary school-aged child was swimming when the dingo "tried to grab her and reportedly held her under water for a few seconds", rescuers said. Nearby family members freed her from the dingo, but she received bites to her head and fingers. Paramedics treated the girl at the scene before she was airlifted to hospital in a stable condition.

The LifeFlight air ambulance said its crew was called into action at 16.40 local time on Monday.

The Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) said it believed the girl was swimming in a shallow lagoon when the dingo approached from behind and grabbed her by the head. The animal involved is thought to be an untagged male, and rangers are investigating the incident, QPWS said in a statement.

"QPWS extends its sympathies to the girl and her family, and wishes her a speedy recovery," it added.

K'gari-Fraser Island in Queensland, a popular tourist destination with World Heritage status, is also home to some 200 wild dingos.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-65171305

A young girl has been flown to hospital after she was attacked by a dingo on Australia's K'gari-Fraser Island.

The primary school-aged child was swimming when the dingo "tried to grab her and reportedly held her under water for a few seconds", rescuers said. Nearby family members freed her from the dingo, but she received bites to her head and fingers. Paramedics treated the girl at the scene before she was airlifted to hospital in a stable condition.

The LifeFlight air ambulance said its crew was called into action at 16.40 local time on Monday.

The Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) said it believed the girl was swimming in a shallow lagoon when the dingo approached from behind and grabbed her by the head. The animal involved is thought to be an untagged male, and rangers are investigating the incident, QPWS said in a statement.

"QPWS extends its sympathies to the girl and her family, and wishes her a speedy recovery," it added.

K'gari-Fraser Island in Queensland, a popular tourist destination with World Heritage status, is also home to some 200 wild dingos.

People forget that dingoes are wild animals and you should stay well away from them.

I have made no particular effort to study or follow news of dingoes and their propensity for attacks on humans, but whenever I hear or read of another one having occured, I immediately think 'Fraser Island?'—and I couldn't even locate that place on a map!

Is there no clamour to take steps to deal with the issues.

Note, that does not necessarily mean a cull.

I wonder if it's the other way around. Rather than the dingo trying to drown the child, whether the dingo itself was drowning and trying to climb onto the nearest object to get out of the water?

My big dog loved water and would swim anywhere, but sometimes if he swam with me in a river somewhere, when he got tired he would attempt to exit the water by climbing onto my head. I got some very impressive scratches, although he never bit.

Back