• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

Remember that here was hundreds of thousands of pounds of tax-liability riding on that distinction though.

I don't like jaffa cakes, i don't really like chocolate, i find it too sweet, much prefer crisps or peanuts:headspinner:

Nurse, 40mg of propofol and the jacket--she's displaying symptoms again.
Haha! :ghunt:
I'm very fussy when it comes to food, i think it comes from my dad who had a food allergy, i would hear him say he couldn't have certain things, it's weird but anything that is white, like coleslaw, salad cream or mayo, i won't go near yet i've never tried them.

Jaffa Cakes are destined for a short existence if left in the same room as me.

Your parents certainly do have a big effect on what you eat. Not only do they control what's actually bought and present on the table, but you inherit some of their preferences and see them day after day before you can even speak.

Haha! :ghunt:
I'm very fussy when it comes to food, i think it comes from my dad who had a food allergy, i would hear him say he couldn't have certain things, it's weird but anything that is white, like coleslaw, salad cream or mayo, i won't go near yet i've never tried them.

Don't you think it might be worth trying to see whether you like them rather than going on colour & your dad's preferences? I avoided prunes for years after being put off by the sight of prunes & custard we were served at school, only to find they were dried plums & quite delicious.

Your parents certainly do have a big effect on what you eat. Not only do they control what's actually bought and present on the table, but you inherit some of their preferences and see them day after day before you can even speak.
They didn't influence me much.
They like all the stuff I regard as toxic waste (cheese, cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, parsnips...I could go on).

They didn't influence me much.
They like all the stuff I regard as toxic waste (cheese, cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, parsnips...I could go on).

That sounds like a pretty big influence: aversion to their tastes!

That's certainly true in my case, mum is a very healthy eater and always made us eat fruit and veggies. My dad watched what he ate with having his allergy but he did indulge more than mum. When i had my dog i had her on a healthy diet, now it's just me i tend to have tea at mums house.

Talking of savoury crackers - anyone else utterly addicted to TUC Sour Cream and Chive?

I bought a packet the other day. Thought I'd just have one... came round some minutes later to find a packet full of powder and crumbs up both cheeks.

Talking of savoury crackers - anyone else utterly addicted to TUC Sour Cream and Chive?

I bought a packet the other day. Thought I'd just have one... came round some minutes later to find a packet full of powder and crumbs up both cheeks.

I haven't tried sour cream and chive as I don't like that flavour, but I am rather partial to the basic TUC crackers. One of those foods that you can't really just have one or two of... like you say, it's the whole packet or nothing :D

I haven't tried sour cream and chive as I don't like that flavour, but I am rather partial to the basic TUC crackers. One of those foods that you can't really just have one or two of... like you say, it's the whole packet or nothing :D

Have you tried Penn State Sour Cream & Chives Pretzels? You might like those. Very moreish indeed.

Have you tried Penn State Sour Cream & Chives Pretzels? You might like those. Very moreish indeed.

I've never even eaten a pretzel never mind a sour cream and chive one !

I'm extremely un-adventurous when it comes to food; I always stick to things I like and very rarely venture into new things, and only then if it is made up of things that I already know the taste of, if that makes sense. :mute:

Also I'm wary of meals with lots of different things in them because I can't tell what it all is. (I know, I'm a hopeless case).

Mr Zebra on the other hand likes to try new foods and will eat spicy things and sour cream things so he would probably like them. Or at the very least, try them. :D

If people can argue whether a Jaffa Cake is a cake or a biscuit, I'm just going to point out that Pringles technically aren't crisps but pre-formed savoury baked cracker-like biscuits.

:parapet:

By that reasoning, Monster Munch aren't crisps either. Or Ringos. Or Outer-Spacers.

What do you mean you can't get Outer-Spacers anymore?! What about Skydivers, then?

Walkers seem to have got a bit carried away with their current 'Flavours of the Decades' limited editions. Tried these the other day:

Walkers Fondue_FTMB.png

These aren't bad at all (for those who appreciate the cheeses) - initially very much like Wotsits without the fizzy powdery texture, but with an aftertaste redolent of the nutty tang of Emmental and something a bit stronger like Gruyère, or even a tiny hint of Gorganzola, or similar, subtly incorporated - which I suppose constitutes the 'Fondue' side of the equation.

They could've done Prawn Cocktail to represent the '70s, but that's been pretty much perfected already. Those things that looked like pink and white prawn cracker seashell hats were irresistible...can't recall who made them.

Black Forest gateau would be hard to pull off in a potato snack, but they could surely have had a go at Steak Diane or Chicken 'n' chips in a basket. Or Find Us crispy pancake.

By the same token, Bread and Dripping or Spam 'n' Beans flavours might've been worth a try but I fear they're playing it safe - despite all the bluster about their nostalgic 'legacy' flavours.

Next up, this brace of less adventurous experiments from the range:

Walker_FOTD #2.png

Last edited:
By that reasoning, Monster Munch aren't crisps either.
Careful, we're losing sight of the taxonomy, here, people.

There's too much casual mentioning of 'crisps', without proper reference to the correct sub-species title of Potato Crisps. This results in implicit bracketing of snack morphology, which I'm sure we'd all agree helps nobody, least of all the addicts.

The genus label Crisps clearly exists as an over-arching descriptive term for all potato-based, maize, corn and other compressed frangible snacks (including evolutionary mysteries such as the Twiglet).

Whilst there are evident trends towards just placing all potato 'Crisps'/'Chips' and generic "pre-formed savoury baked cracker-like biscuits" (referred to in such a self-indicting fashion by @David Plankton above, an obvious cry for help from a long-term sufferer) into a phylum-like category of 'snacks' (including crisps made even from other root vegetables such as beetroot or onion, plus oddities such aa wasabe peas etc) let's keep our terminology tight.

Frankly, it's very nearly all gone nuts. And it's not my bag, I can tell you the whole thing is just leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Now that I'm down to under forty a day, and feeding the habit is under control, I can see looking back that it was just a slippery slope from 55g 'share' bags, via whole multipacks eaten in the stationery cupboard, and then four or five entire boxes consumed on the tarmac of a supermarket carpark at 1am (we've all been there).

Last edited:
American "chips"

Wow, this thread may be the most bizarre I have read since finding this board. Steak flavoured chips?
Oh, and for the record, I think calling crisps "chips" is dumb too, because it meas we have to call chips "french fries", and that's just STUPID.

Other places such as Australia and New Zealand call their crisps "chips" and to my knowledge they've not fallen off the edge of the world because of it. The reason for this is they use of the more common term "chippies" to describe their potato snack.

Also there is minimal confusion with chips of the fish and chip variety and chips of the chippie variety. After all an Australian would order "Feesh and Cheeps" and a Kiwi would order "Fush and Chups". That obviously cannot be confused with "get some chippies mate".

Australia kept the term "crisps" up until the early 2000's. New Zealand to my knowledge has always called them "chips" (chippies).

Nothing in Australia or New Zealand though has ever rivaled the Golden Age of British Crisps of the 70's and 80's. Mind you nobody ever will.

Indeed they are! I have to travel some distance to my nearest large supermarket, but I do like to stock up with these when I'm there.

Chocolate covered pretzels, on the other hand, are food of the devil.

Ahem. Digression over. Carry on your crisp-based conversation...

Not a patch on the King of Pretzel-based snacks...

241958.jpg

I like the hot chilli version of those, however, in the local convenience store they're several times the price of other salty, crispy nibble-type snacks (and I've not seen them anywhere else).

Last edited:
Snyders. They are ridiculously over-priced but probably the best pretzels on the planet.

Other places such as Australia and New Zealand call their crisps "chips" and to my knowledge they've not fallen off the edge of the world because of it. The reason for this is they use of the more common term "chippies" to describe their potato snack.

Also there is minimal confusion with chips of the fish and chip variety and chips of the chippie variety. After all an Australian would order "Feesh and Cheeps" and a Kiwi would order "Fush and Chups". That obviously cannot be confused with "get some chippies mate".

Australia kept the term "crisps" up until the early 2000's. New Zealand to my knowledge has always called them "chips" (chippies).

Nothing in Australia or New Zealand though has ever rivaled the Golden Age of British Crisps of the 70's and 80's. Mind you nobody ever will.

In Aus and NZ you order “hot chips” in a chippy.

Some nice Antipodean crisps - twisties etc.

No, no. I must raise an objection. Chips are chips and crisps are crisps and never the twain shall meet - or you get abominations like chipsticks. Also, chips are not French fries. (which are long thin stringy articles).

I had a packet of Walkers roast lamb & mint crisps today. My taste buds aren't up to much but I couldn't detect either flavour in them. I still ate them though.

Back