• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

I had a packet of Walkers roast lamb & mint crisps today. My taste buds aren't up to much but I couldn't detect either flavour in them. I still ate them though.

Is that the 1950's offering from the 'Flavours of the Decades' range? My local crisp supplier seems to have run out, so I tried the Chicken Tikka Masala, which were...alright. It was a toss-up between CTM (1980's) or Sweet Chilli (2000's)

Is that the 1950's offering from the 'Flavours of the Decades' range? My local crisp supplier seems to have run out, so I tried the Chicken Tikka Masala, which were...alright. It was a toss-up between CTM (1980's) or Sweet Chilli (2000's)

On examining the packet the full title is '1960's Roast Lamb & Mint'. Why 1960s I have no idea.

Ah right, thanks.

Me neither :huh:

The 1960s: the decade before the sheep became extinct!

On examining the packet the full title is '1960's Roast Lamb & Mint'. Why 1960s I have no idea.

Maybe the recipe is from the 60s? Either that or it's the crisps equivalent of a Chinese hundred year old egg.

I suspect all this decadence began in the amphitheaters of Ancient Rome when someone had the idea of selling 'Christian flavoured thin potato slices' These became known as 'Christsis'.
The selling line was 'get the lions point of view'.

It's gone down hill ever since.

INT21

Maybe the recipe is from the 60s?

I don't remember exotic crisp flavours being much of a thing in the sixties; cheese & onion was the first alternative, I think, followed by Salt & Vinegar. Maybe it is a reference to sixties eating-habits. Roast leg of lamb with mint sauce was certainly on the weekend menu in our house. :dinner:

...and yet I see no particular association with Lamb 'n' mint sauce and the sixties.

If these smart-arse crisp manufacturers had really thought through their semi-ironic commentary on 20th Century grub they'd have produced corned beef hash or cauliflower cheese flavours - and a pack containing three miniscule 'Nouvelle Cuisine' potato slices and a sachet of raspberry vinegar to represent the '80s.

Shame on them.

...and yet I see no particular association with Lamb 'n' mint sauce and the sixties.

If these smart-arse crisp manufacturers had really thought through their semi-ironic commentary on 20th Century grub they'd have produced corned beef hash or cauliflower cheese flavours - and a pack containing three miniscule 'Nouvelle Cuisine' potato slices and a sachet of raspberry vinegar to represent the '80s.

"1950s Grey Flavour".

Hot meat pie, beans, saveloy, chop sauce on the side.

Let's see 'em create that 1950s experience in their 'top-tech' food lavatories, or whatever they're called.

These are my current favorite. Ms Popper usually takes the bag away from me so I don't gobble the whole thing in one sitting. Mmmmmm...

boulder-canyon-olive-oil-chips-230.jpg

1940's Snoek flavour. or 1930's soup kitchen flavour.

I honestly think folk have no idea how well off we are today.

They need to think about their different sales areas. For example Tripe 'n' Vinegar oop north, Jellied Eel Cocktail dahn sarf...sorted!

Talking of savoury crackers - anyone else utterly addicted to TUC Sour Cream and Chive?

Are they a variation on the 'cheese sandwich'? I only buy those maybe once a year as I can easily 'just have one', meaning I'll finish off the packet.

That represents about 44g of fat :eek:

No, they aren't sandwiches, the crackers are sort of dusted with a coating...

utterly delicious.

From Walkers' website:

Flavour Story
1960’s Roast Lamb and Mint:
In the 60’s roast dinners had a resurgence following the end of post-war rationing. Top of the list was roast lamb, and what’s roast lamb without mint sauce?

Hmm. Meat rationing ended in 1954...perhaps it was the introduction of frozen New Zealand lamb, or some other factor, that precipitated this alleged craze for oven-cooked sheep flesh?

New Chicken Wing Walkers Max are very this season which extra added spice

Hmm. Meat rationing ended in 1954...perhaps it was the introduction of frozen New Zealand lamb, or some other factor, that precipitated this alleged craze for oven-cooked sheep flesh?

I suspect they just had to make up the end of rationing nonsense to cover up this last-minute replacement for the 'LSD sugar cube' variety.

I suspect they just had to make up the end of rationing nonsense to cover up this last-minute replacement for the 'LSD sugar cube' variety.

It's possible. That would certainly be a groovier far-outer flavour. I wouldn't mind trying 'Speed 'n' Onion' either.

In the 60s, no trip from school was complete without a bag of Potato Puffs. A tiny packet of insubstantial starchy stuff but they tasted sooooo good. Probably because the flavourings used would now be banned.
I notice I’m not alone in my love for these and there’s a facebook page demanding a relaunch.

They were great and I'm sure you can still find them

In the 60s, no trip from school was complete without a bag of Potato Puffs. A tiny packet of insubstantial starchy stuff but they tasted sooooo good. Probably because the flavourings used would now be banned.
I notice I’m not alone in my love for these and there’s a facebook page demanding a relaunch.

Someone wrote to Burton's re : Potato puffs.

We are pleased to hear that you were a fan of Potato Puffs, which we stopped producing 1990’s, due to declining sales. Although we are thrilled that you and many others enjoyed them very much, we have no plans at present to bring them back as unfortunately we no longer produce potato based or fried snacks, and do not have access to the machinery required to produce them.

https://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory/burtons-potato-puffs

Someone wrote to Burton's re : Potato puffs.

We are pleased to hear that you were a fan of Potato Puffs, which we stopped producing 1990’s, due to declining sales. Although we are thrilled that you and many others enjoyed them very much, we have no plans at present to bring them back as unfortunately we no longer produce potato based or fried snacks, and do not have access to the machinery required to produce them.

https://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory/burtons-potato-puffs

The originals were made by Walters. i believe Burton’s took over and discontinued the product to concentrate on biscuits and sold off the machinery.

The "decades" Walkers crisps all seem a bit arbitrary. As well as the lamb ones for the '60s (which are the worst of the bunch, as far as I can tell), there's:

1950s: Coronation Chicken
1960s: Roast Lamb & Mint
1970s: Cheese Fondue
1980s: Chicken Tikka Masala
1990s: BBQ Rib
2000s: Sweet Chilli

Cheese Fondue is probably the only one of those where I'd be able to have a guess at the "decade" from the flavour if I didn't already know them.

Back