• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

... And note that the price is actually printed on the packet!

The last time l saw that was in East Germany in 1983.

maximus otter

It was an interesting read!

I have little to add, except to say that Walkers will never fix their Salt & Vinegar/Cheese and Onion colour error, even though we all know they're WRONG, and buying crisps as a vegan is very difficult; milk powder is everywhere.

It's strange to be living in a world where Smoky Bacon Pringles are vegan and plain Hula Hoops aren't :dunno:

Not sure if it's come up but I "heard" that all crisp flavours were originally decided by the manufactuers messing up loads of ingredients then asking the workforce "What does this most taste like?"...hence prawn cocktail tasting nothing like prawns...as to how they decided on Hedgehog flavour I really wouldn't like to know. So, true?
This is untrue as i am Mr.Walkers and all of my delicious flavours were intentional. Please reply with any flavours you'd like to see in the future; we are currently working on mayonaisse! - lots of love, Robert Walker

This is untrue as i am Mr.Walkers and all of my delicious flavours were intentional. Please reply with any flavours you'd like to see in the future; we are currently working on mayonaisse! - lots of love, Robert Walker

Dolphin flavour.

A propos 'experimental' and Special Edition crisp flavours: took a chance on a packet of these when drastically reduced in price (should've taken this as a warning) with high hopes:

FTMB_curry sauce crisps.jpg

They were horrible :-(

On the subject of Scampi and Lemon Nik Naks, I was always disappointed that they disappeared off our shelves. However, lo and behold, they reappeared last year! I have to buy two packs at a time. They're just so nice :p

I loved Scampi 'n' lemon Nik Naks! They were a treat only found in the Oop North pubs I went to with my cousin and appeared dahn sarf for a while in the 90's. Even their cousin in the crack cocaine of bar snacks family, the magnificent Scampi Fries, are hard to find round these parts outside of Pound Shops. You certainly won't find them in Waitrose or M & S.

Oh I quite liked those.

Never tried but keep meaning to buy some I've seen - chilli and lime.

My sample tasted a bit stale above all. So in defence of Mc Coy's, whose crisps (can't bring myself to call them 'chips') I usually approve of, it could be that the retailer - let's call them 'Sesbo' - were taking the Mick by selling off superannuated stock. I didn't think to check the Crunch By date.

Edit: Me mum's donated a surplus-to-requirements bag of Smith's 'Salt 'n' Shake' featuring the iconic little blue salt packet. To my horror, as I remember these fondly from childhood, it seems the brand's recently been assimilated by Walkers - the GoogleBorg Empire of unhealthful potato snacks. However this encouraged me to uncover this fun historical crisp fact:

Salt 'n' Shake was created by Frank Smith and was first sold in pubs in Cricklewood, London in the 1920s. Because the salt cellars he provided were being stolen by pub visitors, Smith began to sell the packets with a small blue sachet of salt, the tradition of which continues to this day."

'Salt 'n' Shake' was quite an exciting product. Looking back from a 21st Century perspective they might be described as 'interactive'.

Last edited:
I loved Scampi 'n' lemon Nik Naks! They were a treat only found in the Oop North pubs I went to with my cousin and appeared dahn sarf for a while in the 90's. Even their cousin in the crack cocaine of bar snacks family, the magnificent Scampi Fries, are hard to find round these parts outside of Pound Shops. You certainly won't find them in Waitrose or M & S.

The trouble with them was anyone that ate a packet stank afterwards.

I have vivid memories of boys thrusting becrumbed fingers under the noses of their claasmates and yelling "Smell your mother!".
I remember that happening at my school too. Vile.

Dill crisps are the best, closely followed by paprika.

I have half a memory of a purple bag. Was it 'Rib & Saucy' perhaps?

Salt n Vinegar are the best. Golden Wonder if you can get em', but I also love the Seabrook ones. :D

I still have a bad memory from primary school. At morning break there was a sort of 'tuck shop' where we could buy crisps. (Can't remember the brand - possibly Smiths). Anyway, I always bought salt n vinegar (blue packet), but one one particular day there weren't any, so I bought some that were in a pretty pink-coloured packet instead...

... one bite and it was horrible, some strange tangy flavour the like of which I'd never tasted before.

I read the packet (yeah, should have done that first) - "Prawn Cocktail". I was aghast - I'd eaten something meat-flavoured for the first (and last) time in my life! The rest went in the bin and I tried not to be sick. :buck:

I read the packet (yeah, should have done that first) - "Prawn Cocktail". I was aghast - I'd eaten something meat-flavoured for the first (and last) time in my life! The rest went in the bin and I tried not to be sick. :buck:
Is it really the case that they are meat flavoured? (I don't expected you to know if you have never eaten prawn by the way, it is an open question. ;)). I have always thought they taste of prawn cocktail sauce which is pretty much a mixture of tomato sauce and salad cream IIRC. And my husband doesn't like them because he says "they don't taste of prawn cocktail" which suggests to me that it is probably the prawn that is missing. I would imagine they would add a fishy flavour?

Any comments from prawnophages?

Is it really the case that they are meat flavoured? (I don't expected you to know if you have never eaten prawn by the way, it is an open question. ;)). I have always thought they taste of prawn cocktail sauce which is pretty much a mixture of tomato sauce and salad cream IIRC. And my husband doesn't like them because he says "they don't taste of prawn cocktail" which suggests to me that it is probably the prawn that is missing. I would imagine they would add a fishy flavour?

Any comments from prawnophages?
They're vegetarian, AFAIK. No prawn near it when manufactured.
Used to be my favourite crisp flavour when they first became available. Then they changed the flavouring to something less addictive. I still like them, but the craving has gone.
Wonder what that addictive ingredient was?

I remember a little competition going on as to how many of
the little salt bags were found in one packet, think 24 was
the highest I heard of.

Interesting that they aren't actually meat-flavoured then - but to me it tasted vile and the very fact that was called something with a meat name is enough to put me off :D I'll stick with the safe foods that I know. (I'm terribly un-adventurous when it comes to food, BTW).

Pringles used to be a delicious treat but about 18 months ago they changed the recipe. Now vile.

Went from the best crisps to the worst. Why oh why.
I've noticed that manufacturers are always revising their recipes, using cheaper ingredients. They think they can rely on brand loyalty to keep sales going. It doesn't work - we're not fooled!

I thought they'd changed, but put it down to my imagination...

First noticed in Australia- people complained and they said it was because they had moved the plant to Malaysia and had changed the recipe to suit local tastes in Asia. But now the horrid new recipe had come to us too!

I've noticed that manufacturers are always revising their recipes, using cheaper ingredients. They think they can rely on brand loyalty to keep sales going. It doesn't work - we're not fooled!

That reminds me - I used to really like Sainsbury Salt n Vinegar crisps. Then one day I bought a packet and it said 'new recipe' and I don't know what they did to them but they tasted awful. Why didn't they just leave it alone.

Pringles used to be a delicious treat but about 18 months ago they changed the recipe. Now vile.

Went from the best crisps to the worst. Why oh why.
Some of us have always thought of them as vile, so I guess they are now abhorrent!

Some of us have always thought of them as vile, so I guess they are now abhorrent!

I used to eat 'em in the middle of the night at university, but when I had some recently they tasted far more 'powdery' and far less crunchy than I recall. Taste seemed the same, but the texture was all wrong.

I just assumed my tastes had changed.

Back