• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

Dont forget their "fangs" & "bones".

The weird thing is, I remember eating these crisps, but I don't remember ever knowing them under the brand Horror Bags.

It’s a Northern thing. But that reminded me of some of the collectibles they offered. Of interest to all tiny Forteans at that time were the ‘Wear Em Scare Ems. I sent off for a skull and crossbones but there were some other really bizarre ones - shrunken heads, voodoo masks, werewolf faces etc. The images may be copyright so I’ll leave it to you all to search google or your memories for these odd things.

I mentioned these a couple of years ago in Minor Strangeness, link and photo below. You're right, there was a skull and crossbones which isn't pictured for some reason.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/minor-strangeness.28407/post-1687612

The weird thing is, I remember eating these crisps, but I don't remember ever knowing them under the brand Horror Bags.
1610995766129.png

Maybe because a red, white and blue bag might not sell too well in certain parts of Northern Ireland.
What if it had an American or French flag on it?

Absolutely solid analysis there.

I see the youth are letting the side down.

This helps to explain why, alone among the age groups, 18-24 year olds are more likely to support the Walkers colour scheme than the Golden Wonder one.

All this talk of brand-associations is madness though.

Cheese & Onion: the green is the onion.
Salt & Vinegar: the blue is the sea/salt association.

The cheese of cheese & onion can hardly be thought of as stilton or Danish Blue, so the link with blue is non-existent. Cheese is not the colour-linked ingredient here.

Vinegar: what association could there be? Brown suggests as surfeit of malt vinegar, liable to bring up vomit. Other vinegars are either clear or lightly shaded enough to occupy no distinct mental ground. Vinegar is not the colour-linked ingredient here.

Crisps used to be fairly regional in their distribution. In the south-east we had Chipmunk Crisps. Their Oxo flavour is still unsurpassed. But haven't seen them since about 1975

They were also sold in S. Wales.

Much as I like marmite, I'm not sure I could handle any extra marmite ness.
Walkers are still producing 'Marmite Crisps' in a six-pack. I managed to get some for a friends son for Christmas. Waitrose do them in a black & white pack.

Have just ordered 24 x Walker tomato sauce. Will report back.

I also think that cheese and onion should be green, despite having boycotted Golden Wonder since 1987 when they closed their factory in Scotland. Looks like it is not just me then as..

Scots are significantly more likely to back the Golden Wonder colour scheme – 71% think salt and vinegar packaging should be blue and 67% think cheese and onion should be green, compared to 48% and 44% for Britain as a whole.
The factory was subsequently taken over by Highlander crisps (who since closed and moved to Italy by the way) -who packaged cheese and onion in green bags.

Walkers have won in my own long-standing crisp grudge as I now eat them! The colour may be "wrong" but at least they aren't Golden Wonder..

It’s a Northern thing. But that reminded me of some of the collectibles they offered. Of interest to all tiny Forteans at that time were the ‘Wear Em Scare Ems. I sent off for a skull and crossbones but there were some other really bizarre ones - shrunken heads, voodoo masks, werewolf faces etc. The images may be copyright so I’ll leave it to you all to search google or your memories for these odd things.
Still got a full set!

The local shop has a Happy Shopper ready salted big bag for a quid. They are mouth watering.

Oooh. Bizarre aren’t they? How much are they worth these days?
Well here’s some that were flogged in eBay, looks like a couple of sets plus a few other bits and pieces. Still with info cards which I don’t have.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tudor-Cr...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I used to help out at the local youth club and at the end of the end off the night I would collect up the empty crisp packets so I could send off for things like this.

Whats wrong with Pringles?
I often thought that instead of coffins, our mortal remains should be dealt with in big Pringles tubes. Ideal for cremation and with the help of a big drill, a vertical burial saves a lot of space over the bed-sized plots we have today.

I often thought that instead of coffins, our mortal remains should be dealt with in big Pringles tubes. Ideal for cremation and with the help of a big drill, a vertical burial saves a lot of space over the bed-sized plots we have today.
Highgate Cemetery has some vertical burials due to lock of space.

Well here’s some that were flogged in eBay, looks like a couple of sets plus a few other bits and pieces. Still with info cards which I don’t have.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tudor-Crisps-Wear-Em-Scare-Ems-BUNDLE-FISH-KELLOGG-S-AZTEC-VOODOO-DEVIL-/373424386335?hash=item56f1d3f11f:g:hiIAAOSwCrhf-2KQ&nma=true&si=xGjJ8Re4BETTsgxjsv%2BMhYZyqyU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I used to help out at the local youth club and at the end of the end off the night I would collect up the empty crisp packets so I could send off for things like this.

Every pack carried a genuine deathly curse charm offer. You don’t get that with Pringles.

Speaking of Walkers, what is it with them and their packaging of cheese & onion crisps in a blue bag? Everyone knows that cheese & onion is green whilst salt & vinegar is blue! Grrrrrrrr! Bring back Tudor crisps, that’s what I say.....proper bloody crisps!

I admit I haven't lived in the UK since the 90s and so only have fond memories of Walker's crisps with them not being available where I live.

However I am sure that in the 70s when I was a kid that Walker's cheese and onion was blue and salt and vinegar was green. It was Golden Wonder who did the colours the other way round.

Is my memory failing me?

I admit I haven't lived in the UK since the 90s and so only have fond memories of Walker's crisps with them not being available where I live.

However I am sure that in the 70s when I was a kid that Walker's cheese and onion was blue and salt and vinegar was green. It was Golden Wonder who did the colours the other way round.

Is my memory failing me?
It’s all academic anyway. Potato Puffs. (Salted in a red bag) were where it was at. I remember going to the cinema and getting crisps with a twisted top bag of salt. In a blue bag.

Back