• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

Walker's Tomato Sauce flavour very acceptable - maybe slightly too vinegary for a five star recommendation.

I've always found Walker's actual crisps, regardless of what flavour, to be slightly less crisp than other makes. But they are absolutely the dominant make in supermarkets round here. My benchmark was Golden Wonder but its a long time since I've seen them in the shops.

Walker's Tomato Sauce flavour very acceptable - maybe slightly too vinegary for a five star recommendation.

I've always found Walker's actual crisps, regardless of what flavour, to be slightly less crisp than other makes. But they are absolutely the dominant make in supermarkets round here. My benchmark was Golden Wonder but its a long time since I've seen them in the shops.
I still come across Golden Wonder now and again. They ain't what they used to be.

We get Golden Wonder up 'ere and they're still excellent. Far better than Walkers I think (and they have the correct colour packets). Favourites are Salt and Vinegar (but they can be a bit 'sharp' sometimes), Tomato Sauce, Cheese & Onion and Ready Salted.

We also like Seabrook crinkle crisps.

But our absolute favourite crisps at the moment are these:

1611423164728.png

They are the crunchiest, crispiest crisps we've ever tasted. Try 'em if you can :)

The Co Op cheese puffs are the best cheese puffs EVER! I tried a packet of those Giant Wotsits (we had them on offer last week) and yes, they are giant, but their cheesy flavouring leaves a lot to be desired, compared to the cheese puffs.

An honourable mention to the Co Op Bacon Rashers too.

Used to get on with Walker's Salt & Vinegar very well back in the day. Before the advent of some of the super-sour brands of kettle chips, they were some of the most vinegary. The ridges also seemed to work from the perspective of 'trapping' flavours.

Mrs Girth purchased some supermarket brand cheesey poof type efforts the other day and left them opened on the dining room table....so I had to go and sample them didn’t I? Feckin’ hell, they stank...but once you got past the stench then they tasted OK.....you just had to get past the horrible smell. I doubt that we’ll be buying them again though.

Empty Pringle tubes do come in handy for storage, especially dried spaghetti.
Shove a couple in to an old pair of tights, sellotape and you have a draught excluder.
The mini versions also come in handy as a desktop pen holder.
They can also be used to store biscuits etc..
Did you ever work as a Presenter on Blue Peter?

The old style of Smarties tubes were good for storing very small amounts of dried spaghetti.
Shove one into a finger cut from an old glove and you have a handy draught excluder for a dolls house.
The mini versions (such as can be found in the 'fun-size' multipacks) could come in handy as a desktop paperclip holder.
They can also be used to store biscuits if you break the biscuits up quite a bit.

Now I know who comes up with the stuff in Viz Top Tips :)

Empty Pringle tubes do come in handy for storage, especially dried spaghetti.
Shove a couple in to an old pair of tights, sellotape and you have a draught excluder.
The mini versions also come in handy as a desktop pen holder.
They can also be used to store biscuits etc..
You can also put empty Pringles tubes on cats legs to make them walk like a robot.

I think it was tubes of Smarties though.....Pringles tubes are far too large for cats!

Surely that depends on the size of the cats though? I mean, look at the 'Maine Coon" domestic cat, which is the largest breed (unfortunate name though - you'd have thought it would be renamed by now?). They're about a metre long. I guess pringles tubes would be about right for them. I don't think I'd want to be the one to try it though.

They certainly are on the larger size when it comes to domestic felines...there might be an element of camera angle enhancement for that picture though! When we went to collect our Bengal cat from the breeder they had a domesticated Serval cat in the house.....now he was a big lad!

Ironically, if you put one in the oven, it will shrink back to a normal sized crisp packet again.
I miss making shrinkie key rings out of crisp packets. Most modern crisp packets have that silver lining inside and it doesn't work on them. Space Raiders were the best packets to use.

I often thought that instead of coffins, our mortal remains should be dealt with in big Pringles tubes. Ideal for cremation and with the help of a big drill, a vertical burial saves a lot of space over the bed-sized plots we have today.
Fredric Baur, who invented the Pringles tube was buried in a Pringles tube. Well, he was cremated first.

Last edited:
Back