• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

Dark blue for ready salted and light blue for salt and vinegar. If chilli is red, what about tomato?

Dark Blue for Ready Salted?
Prefer White, but Dark Blue could be for an extra slaty Seas Salt type crisp?

Tomato could be a brightish Red but the top quarter of the packet is Green?

I will add Beige and Off-White colour for Curry.
Purple and White Stripes for Pickled Onion.
Grey for Mushroom.

Dark Blue for Ready Salted?
Prefer White, but Dark Blue could be for an extra slaty Seas Salt type crisp?

Golden Wonder Ready Salted were dark blue, as were KP. Golden Wonder Salt and Vinegar were light blue and I think KP were the same. But I am talking about the 70s and 80s, before Walkers turned the crisp bag colour scheme upside down.

Salt and Shake came in a white bag. They still did a few years ago. but I haven't seen them in a while.

Yes the Salt n Shake is what has influenced my suggestion of White for Ready Salted.
Those and the Kettle Chips Ready Salted.
Salt is Off-White, that influences me.
I remember the Blue with Red writing KP crisps Ready Salted, and Ready Salted Hula Hoops are Red too.

download.jpg

images-2.jpg

Last edited:
I remember Tudor Gammon flavour as having a steady following at my school.
But did anyone here ever eat these?

GLpzEv7Efc3dcd0b784cdc1bfe7638808ed88a5b.jpg

@Tigerhawk

You're on.

10 Oz gloves. 10 rounds of Boxing. Queensbury Rules.
The prize?
10 bags of crisps, assorted flavours.
Winner eats all.

Matchroom Promotions, he's already made the opening bid...

Last edited:
Never knew this before - I just checked a brand new unopened pack of coffee & sure enough, air came out on squeezing. Not sure where it came out - couldn't see a valve or any obvious place it could've escaped.

What's the idea of it - is it just so you can smell it? I'm immune as I have no sense of smell.
I think it is to keep stale coffee air (outgassing as it were), from remaining in the bag; I don't think they were on the bags when I was a kid though...

I've got some Schrodingers Crisps.
I'm not sure what flavour they are, or even if there are any crisps in the packet, as I haven't opened it yet.

We ate a small plate of Cheetos purposely and joyfully during the U.S. Presidential inauguration. They are my favorite junk food, and I hated seeing them libeled by association in order to insult and nickname to a bad orange man. I have wanted those libels to stop for four years. Cheers to mango and cantaloupe fans too!

Why has nobody mentioned Burts' Crisps? Handfried in Devon, and they are mighty, mighty fine. So much so that I avoid buying them as I would eat the large packets by myself in one go, and that's not a healthy option. Oh no.

And salt and vinegar crisps are the best.

Why has nobody mentioned Burts' Crisps? Handfried in Devon, and they are mighty, mighty fine. So much so that I avoid buying them as I would eat the large packets by myself in one go, and that's not a healthy option. Oh no.

And salt and vinegar crisps are the best.
I used to be able to get those at work in the canteen. Really good crisps, yes.

Never knew this before - I just checked a brand new unopened pack of coffee & sure enough, air came out on squeezing. Not sure where it came out - couldn't see a valve or any obvious place it could've escaped.

What's the idea of it - is it just so you can smell it? I'm immune as I have no sense of smell.

The valved soft-packs enable coffee to be packed when it is fresh and still producing gas. As mentioned, the valve is a one-way affair, so a crafty squeeze will enable most folk to smell it. Before the development of the valve, a lot of coffee was sold in hard vacuum-packs - a style still favoured by espresso blends, for some reason. Sometimes the valve is a visible little button but there are hidden gusset designs, which enable the aromas to escape . . .

I need to lie down, now. :loveu:

I remember Tudor Gammon flavour as having a steady following at my school.
But did anyone here ever eat these?

View attachment 34356

@Tigerhawk

You're on.

10 Oz gloves. 10 rounds of Boxing. Queensbury Rules.
The prize?
10 bags of crisps, assorted flavours.
Winner eats all.

Matchroom Promotions, he's already made the opening bid...

There are chocolate dipped crisps available in Singapore now, so I read!

chocolatechips.jpg

The story: https://www.todayonline.com/8days/e...s-leh-sells-royce-lookalike-choc-potato-chips

Weren't ready salted dark blue back in the day?

Those "other root vegetable" crisps are always disappointing, they're unflavoured so essentially ready salted, the crappest flavour all. There's a tiny variation in flavour and texture from veg to to veg but nothing to write home about.

I had some Flaming Hot Cheetos last night, I'm aware of them as a "thing" in the US, supposedly incredibly hot. These were just a tiny bit spicey and looked nothing like the US ones, these were slightly darker orange than Cheese Wotsits, whereas the US ones are coated in a dark red colour.

Those "other root vegetable" crisps are always disappointing, they're unflavoured so essentially ready salted, the crappest flavour all. There's a tiny variation in flavour and texture from veg to to veg but nothing to write home about.

I would pay good money for a packet of beetroot-only crisps.

I admit I haven't lived in the UK since the 90s and so only have fond memories of Walker's crisps with them not being available where I live.

However I am sure that in the 70s when I was a kid that Walker's cheese and onion was blue and salt and vinegar was green. It was Golden Wonder who did the colours the other way round.

Is my memory failing me?
You may have 'Lays' brand crisps where you are, they are walkers.

519xbjWu0dL._AC_.jpg

lays-salted-10x45gr.png

Weren't ready salted dark blue back in the day?

I had some Flaming Hot Cheetos last night, I'm aware of them as a "thing" in the US, supposedly incredibly hot. These were just a tiny bit spicey and looked nothing like the US ones, these were slightly darker orange than Cheese Wotsits, whereas the US ones are coated in a dark red colour.
That'll be a very crisp £50 note then 'Ogdred?' :D

Only trying to help. Just about every store does them as an own brand thing.
But I get mine delivered on a Waitrose horse-drawn gun carriage.

Mine are delivered by exotic oiled up slaves carried on a sedan chair.

On of my guilty pleasures is a peanut butter, cucumber, salad cream and crisp sandwich (ready salted is best) a great mix of sweet, sour, salty, crunchy and crisp tastes and textures :p

Yes we do have Lays crisps but they taste nothing like Walkers .... at least Walkers how I remember them.
That sucks (and not in a good way lol) maybe they taste the same in the UK now as Lays do there, but like with everything, you dont really notice small changes over time,

Back