• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

Philistines. Doritos are very good, even more so with a dip. I highly recommend chilli heatwave flavour.

89BAA763-4626-476E-AC4B-1E8BD4C94F75.jpeg

Ahh….these bring back memories…..of what? I’m not saying!

I used to really enjoy the 'scampi and lemon' nik-naks which you can't get any more because the EU decreed that the flavouring was, I dunno, lethal or something.

I used to really enjoy the 'scampi and lemon' nik-naks which you can't get any more because the EU decreed that the flavouring was, I dunno, lethal or something.
The EU decreed that the flavouring was too tasty for the masses. Taste withheld!
Because we might enjoy ourselves too much, or something like that.

Am I the only person who thinks Doritos are nasty, dry, pieces of crunchy sawdust?
I’m with you on that. Normally served at dodgy buffets with various tasteless dips in a plastic container. There’ll also be pre-sliced carrots & celery. Maybe breadsticks and definitely mini pork pies as well.

Maybe breadsticks and definitely mini pork pies as well.
Is there anything more pointless than a breadstick?

You only eat them when you’ve drunk too much & there’s absolutely nothing else left. Her Maj [dec’d] had the right idea in feeding them to her corgis.

Is there anything more pointless than a breadstick?

You only eat them when you’ve drunk too much & there’s absolutely nothing else left. Her Maj [dec’d] had the right idea in feeding them to her corgis.
Celery is equally pointless.

I don't mind celery as a crudité, as it has no flavour to interfere with the flavour of the dip. Like breadsticks, it's intended as a 'carrier' of the more flavoursome than as a flavour itself.
That said, I now always cook a Bolognese sauce/ragu in the traditional manner which always includes celery and carrot. Chopped small, it doesn't 'intrude' on the sauce. I honestly don't know that you can taste the difference but I think it changes the texture. Not added crunch as such ... but something.

Can’t agree with you there. It’s a nice addition to some dishes - Waldorf salad, stews, some soups etc. Probably contains some nutrients, vitamins as well.
Actually, I've just remembered it's good chopped into slices in the pumpkin soup we make for added crunch and colour so I'm going to reverse my opinion and apologise to celery.

Apparently celery is so nutritionally worthless that it uses up more calories to chew, swallow and digest it, than the calories it provides you with.

Apparently celery is so nutritionally worthless that it uses up more calories to chew, swallow and digest it, than the calories it provides you with.
That’s as maybe but it has flavour & crunchy texture. No-one is suggesting you eat a celery only diet.

I remember (middle 1990's) working in a food factory where one of the resident food scientists was Jewish. She had a sense of humour and would sit in the lunch-room eating either prawn cocktail or smokey bacon crisps, just to see how long it took before people tried not to stare and nudge each other. And if anyone remarked on the incongruity and tried really hard not to call her out on it. It took about three quarters of an hour before somebody might go "Errr... Rivka? The, errr, crisps? And you being, err. You know. Err."

It was class trolling, or perhaps in this case golleming.

Rivka would let them suffer and squirm a little more, then she'd explain that with some - but not all - makes of smokey bacon crisp, the flavouring ingredients involved had never so much seen a pig in their lives. "Of course there is a school of thought in Judiasm that argues that if a chemical is synthesised in a lab to mimic the flavour of pork produce, the intention involved makes it traife, but that's rabbinical-level thinking. I did a BSc and an MSc in food science, so I take a different viewpoint. Besides, they taste good. Same with the prawn cocktail. The only way these would ever touch a prawn would be if I throw them in the sea and I'm not going to do that as these cost 30p a bag and I like the taste. Oh, and all the other ingredients are completely kashrut."

The killer line was that the one flavour of crisp that the layman might think would sell like hot matzos in Israel - Roast Chicken - was one that no observant Jewish person would even touch in a shop display. The reason being - no actual chicken in them. But lots of pork-derived flavouring agents to mimic the taste of chicken. (And as she stressed, in most brands but not all of them. You have, she said, to pay close attention to the ingredients list and the manufacturing process. Which her first two degrees and her ongoing work on a PhD were qualifying her for.).

Last edited:
Apparently there is such an oxymoron as "kosher bacon". I believe it ultimately comes off sheep.

Does that come from the same scientific source as rabbit meat being the same?

Does that come from the same scientific source as rabbit meat being the same?
No I don't think so - the rabbit meat thing is more about the fact that rabbits have to eat their own faeces to absorb the nutrients from the food they consume as 'first time through' doesn't break it down enough. This is down to some sort of metabolic quirk that means that it is somehow also passed on to their flesh if eaten. Thus leading to a thing called (IIRC) 'rabbit starvation', whereby someone who eats a diet of solely rabbit meat will eventually suffer a form of 'protein poisoning'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning

Back