• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

No I don't think so - the rabbit meat thing is more about the fact that rabbits have to eat their own faeces to absorb the nutrients from the food they consume as 'first time through' doesn't break it down enough. This is down to some sort of metabolic quirk that means that it is somehow also passed on to their flesh if eaten. Thus leading to a thing called (IIRC) 'rabbit starvation', whereby someone who eats a diet of solely rabbit meat will eventually suffer a form of 'protein poisoning'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning
I thought it was to do with lack of certain fats in rabbits?

I thought it was to do with lack of certain fats in rabbits?
Possibly. Dunno. I have too little interest in it to be bothered to even look it up. I'm sure if anyone is really that concerned there is plenty of info online somewhere.
Not something that is ever likely to bother any of us though really, is it? Except perhaps @maximus otter, depending on how his 'lamping' sessions go.

And on that subject - has there ever been 'rabbit' flavour crisps?

Possibly. Dunno. I have too little interest in it to be bothered to even look it up. I'm sure if anyone is really that concerned there is plenty of info online somewhere.
Not something that is ever likely to bother any of us though really, is it? Except perhaps @maximus otter, depending on how his 'lamping' sessions go.

Around here, on the arable land over which l shoot, l see a hundred or more deer for every one rabbit. l wish it were otherwise - l relish a rabbit cacciatore - but they’re all but an endangered species on my patch.

:(

maximus otter

Around here, on the arable land over which l shoot, l see a hundred or more deer for every one rabbit. l wish it were otherwise - l relish a rabbit cacciatore - but they’re all but an endangered species on my patch.

:(

maximus otter
We've noted a distinct lack of rabbits around here for several years now. We used to get them in the garden (used to trap them), there's not even any in the field across the road now.

We've noted a distinct lack of rabbits around here for several years now. We used to get them in the garden (used to trap them), there's not even any in the field across the road now.
Come down here. There's loads of the bleeders locally.

I'm surprised that the Brits haven't done an earl grey tea flavored crisps :p

There is only one way to get Worcestershire Sauce flavoured crisps. Buy ready salted , apply Lea and Perrins in appropriate quantities to taste, shake for 30 second and enjoy. Do not leave long enough to go soft.

There is only one way to get Worcestershire Sauce flavoured crisps. Buy ready salted , apply Lea and Perrins in appropriate quantities to taste, shake for 30 second and enjoy. Do not leave long enough to go soft.
You could pour some Worcs. Sauce into a ceramic oven dish, heat it gently in the oven until the water has evaporated, which should leave you with a dried 'essence of W.S.', which you can then scrape off and turn into a powder to sprinkle onto your 'plain' crisps.
If anyone can be arsed to try it, let me know how you get on.

I do not have Tesco access.

Is anybody brave enough to attempt a taste test?

FkBXiSXXkAMPT8s.png

Walkers did a Brussels sprout flavoured crisp one Xmas (Couldn't find it mentioned when I searched this thread)

It was, as expected disgusting.

And yet we have 'Prawn Cocktail' flavour crisps and nobody seems to bat an eyelid at that.

Not exactly an exciting idea, but regular plain chips or crisps that are 50 % less salt have gained popularity in the U.S.

I love them since I try to eat less salt.

If I was not worried about calories or salt, I gorge myself on cheese cover Cheetos.

A shout out for Burts crisps from Devon:

https://www.burtschips.com/

They are ‘posh’ crisps like Kettle crisps but nicer and go well with a drop of Devon cider :)

Saw the wild rabbit chat above, poor blighters have been suffering from a viral haemorrhaging disease, but they survived Myxomatosis and I have faith they will bounce back (geddit?!) into my cooking pot soon, something else delicious with cider

Last edited:
Yum.
I'm guessing that 'ribbe' is a slow-cooked pork belly with the skin kept on and made to go crispy, like our 'crackling' then?
And is the little red berries part of it? 'Lingonberry'?

Back