• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

Bacon flavour Good n Crunchy were the best.
1664463328912.png

"Gravy" is just "Beef", surely? Likewise "Tasty Cheese" and "Mac n' Cheese" are just cheese?

I have a vague recollection of Gammon and Pineapple, I'm guessing plain "gammon" isn't too different to bacon in crisp terms.
I am not eating them just so I can confirm or deny your theory! Just hand over the garlic bread chips/crisps and leave me to watch Miami Vice in peace....

I remember from my schooldays - wasn't there some controversy about Tomato Sauce flavoured crips that were kicking about in the early 60's? I remember they were really tasty, but the powers that be took them off the market pretty smartish for some reason - never found out what the reason was exactly?
In the 70's, Salt flavour and Paprika flavour was the only available flavours of Crisps in Norway. around 1980 I think we got Salt&Pepper, then later in the early 80's we got Sour Cream&Onion flavour, which was kind of sensational then.

Last edited:
'cream and onion'?
Doesn't sound much like a flavour to me. It sounds more like something went wrong and they decided it tasted like onions. With some cream on.

'cream and onion'?
Doesn't sound much like a flavour to me. It sounds more like something went wrong and they decided it tasted like onions. With some cream on.
Forgot to add the "Sour" part of the name.

In the USA sour cream and onion was one of the earliest flavored potato chips marketed. I recall first encountering them in the late 1960s or very early 1970s. If I recall correctly they were the second mass-marketed flavored option (following the introduction of barbecue flavor in the 1960s).

I remember from my schooldays - wasn't there some controversy about Tomato Sauce flavoured crips that were kicking about in the early 60's? I remember they were really tasty, but the powers that be took them off the market pretty smartish for some reason - never found out what the reason was exactly?
Because they were tasty. Not allowed for the masses.

Can you still get 'Brannigans' crisps? The very thick cut ones in (IIRC) ham & mustard flavour?

I expect many Brits here remember "Hedgehog Flavour" crisps in the 80s.

https://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory/hedgehog-flavoured-crisps?page=4

There's a comment towards the bottom about "Traffic Warden Flavour" crisps, I've seen other online comments about them too but no other evidence, all the comments might be from the same person for all I know and it might be a wind-up.

Ooh! That photo of the front & back of the packet - that’s mine! I still have the packet somewhere. My one and only contribution to Wikipedia was a small piece about hedgehog crisps. Unfortunately some jobsworth pulled it because posting a photograph of the packet violated some trademark issue or something or other. Sounded completely bogus. But unfortunately for them it was too late and the photo was already out there on the internet.

Bugger.
These companies drop products at the drop of a hat.
Apparently falling sales is enough to make them can it, when stuff goes through cycles of popularity.
Maybe they should have done a promo or something?
I reckon they wanted to kill it off so they could flog some other product that cost them less to produce.
That's usually it.

Years ago, I was standing at the bar of a pub, waiting to be served. The bloke before me ordered a whiskey.
Barman: There's a promotion on. You get a free packet of alligator crisps with that.
Punter: What do they taste like?
Barman: Alligator.

That messes with my head because Walkers crisps famously colour code blue as cheese and onion, green as salt and vinegar, pink as prawn cocktail and yellow as chicken flavoured. AND Smiths have nicked the red wavy line from Walkers. I reckon Smith's have done all of this on purpose for some nefarious reasons. Smith's couldn't even be bothered to make ready salted crisps back in the day so you had to sprinkle the salt on yourself via a dark blue paper bag. Smith's can go away very quickly.

That messes with my head because Walkers crisps famously colour code blue as cheese and onion, green as salt and vinegar, pink as prawn cocktail and yellow as chicken flavoured. AND Smiths have nicked the red wavy line from Walkers. I reckon Smith's have done all of this on purpose for some nefarious reasons. Smith's couldn't even be bothered to make ready salted crisps back in the day so you had to sprinkle the salt on yourself via a dark blue paper bag. Smith's can go away very quickly.

A chilling eye opener:

“Walkers is a British snack food manufacturer mainly operating in the UK and Ireland. The company is best known for manufacturing potato crisps and other (non-potato-based) snack foods. In 2013, it held 56% of the British crisp market. Walkers was founded in 1948 in Leicester, England, by Henry Walker. In 1989, Walkers was acquired by Lay's owner, Frito-Lay, a division of PepsiCo.”

And:

“The Smith's Snackfood Company is a British-Australian snack food company owned by American multinational corporation PepsiCo.”

A chilling eye opener:

“Walkers is a British snack food manufacturer mainly operating in the UK and Ireland. The company is best known for manufacturing potato crisps and other (non-potato-based) snack foods. In 2013, it held 56% of the British crisp market. Walkers was founded in 1948 in Leicester, England, by Henry Walker. In 1989, Walkers was acquired by Lay's owner, Frito-Lay, a division of PepsiCo.”

And:

“The Smith's Snackfood Company is a British-Australian snack food company owned by American multinational corporation PepsiCo.”
Wow .. I'd always imagined Walkers to be older than that but they'd only have been around for about 30 years by the time I started buying them.

Wow .. I'd always imagined Walkers to be older than that but they'd only have been around for about 30 years by the time I started buying them.
Yeah it’s weird isn’t it? And Pepsi keep all these zombie brands alive, but in reality it’s just one massive snack food conglomerate. It’s hard to find a crisp or snack brand that isn’t owned by Pepsi nowadays.
“More crisps than crisps, as we say here in the giant PepsiCo megapyramid”

In the U.S. during the Christmas season, Walkers Shortbread Cookies are for sale everywhere.

It ranks up there with Christmas Trees and decorations as a must do thing.

In the U.S. during the Christmas season, Walkers Shortbread Cookies are for sale everywhere.

It ranks up there with Christmas Trees and decorations as a must do thing.
Different company. That is Walkers of Aberlour and it is still family owned.

Yeah it’s weird isn’t it? And Pepsi keep all these zombie brands alive, but in reality it’s just one massive snack food conglomerate. It’s hard to find a crisp or snack brand that isn’t owned by Pepsi nowadays.
“More crisps than crisps, as we say here in the giant PepsiCo megapyramid”
I saw an empty Pringles canister outside our local shop today that was triangle shaped so I'm guessing they do hybrid Dorito shaped Pringles now. Fair enough. I wonder if they're flat like Doritos or if they're wavy like traditional Pringles?. I don't think they had 'Torengos' written on the can ..

http://gubbyblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/sometimes-you-gotta-let-those-hard-to.html

Edit: completely ignore all of that, they're called Dorito stax I've just been told. But they are in competition with Pringles with the tube design thing .. and our local shop's just sold out of them ..

adoritostax.jpg

Last edited:
I saw an empty Pringles canister outside our local shop today that was triangle shaped so I'm guessing they do hybrid Dorito shaped Pringles now. Fair enough. I wonder if they're flat like Doritos or if they're wavy like traditional Pringles?. I don't think they had 'Torengos' written on the can ..

http://gubbyblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/sometimes-you-gotta-let-those-hard-to.html

Edit: completely ignore all of that, they're called Dorito stacks I've just been told.
Savoury Toblerone?

Ooh! That photo of the front & back of the packet - that’s mine! I still have the packet somewhere. My one and only contribution to Wikipedia was a small piece about hedgehog crisps. Unfortunately some jobsworth pulled it because posting a photograph of the packet violated some trademark issue or something or other. Sounded completely bogus. But unfortunately for them it was too late and the photo was already out there on the internet.

Cool, I take it you have no info on "Traffic Warden Flavour" ? I presume they are some sort of internet prank.

Am I the only person who thinks Doritos are nasty, dry, pieces of crunchy sawdust?
I can't figure out what makes them popular or why they have managed to stay on the market for so long, and yet the lovely Brannigan's crisps were canned.

Back