• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

Gypsies used to. No joke. Apparently the trick was to extremely slow roast them. You'd kill your hedgehog, smother it in damp clay then put that inside a compost pit. The natural heat from that would eventually roast them. Then you'd remove the now baked clay, all the spines would come out in the clay or as I've read. I've no idea how long you'd cook them like that though?. At least two or three days I expect?.

edit: I haven't found the method online yet. This is the nearest I've got to any connection between hedgehogs and compost pits.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-a-hedgehog-other-ancient-recipes-754940.html

and ...

Foods of England - Hedgehog. There is well-attested record of hedgehog (or 'hotchewitchi' or 'otchie'; see 'horse') being a Romany favourite. The beast is packed in clay to be baked on an open fire so that the hardened clay can be broken away along with the spines and skin to reveal a meat reminiscent of pork.

You may also have heard about the hedgehog-roasting from me. As a child I was told about it by kids from the Traveller families who'd sometimes camp in the area.
The hedgehogs were cooked alive because dead ones would not have rolled up with their spines erect.

You may also have heard about the hedgehog-roasting from me. As a child I was told about it by kids from the Traveller families who'd sometimes camp in the area.
The hedgehogs were cooked alive because dead ones would not have rolled up with their spines erect.

Anyone who would be daft enough to roast an animal with its guts still inside it is welcome to the resulting “treat.”

:puke2:

maximus otter

Anyone who would be daft enough to roast an animal with its guts still inside it is welcome to the resulting “treat.”

:puke2:

maximus otter

I wonder if those kids were taking the piss, living up to an expected stereotype.

Clay-baked hedgehog was/is a real thing.

If you were desperate enough to need the tiny amount of meat available on a hedgehog, you'd:

a) Gut it first, and;

b) If you're far enough into it to gut it, why would you leave the skin on?

I've never gralloched a hedgehog - :puke2: - but I can't see that it would be any more difficult to skin than a rabbit or a grey squirrel, both legendarily easy to "peel."

My bet? Folk tale, with the "baking in clay" thing as dressing to boost credibility.

maximus otter

If you were desperate enough to need the tiny amount of meat available on a hedgehog, you'd:

a) Gut it first, and;

b) If you're far enough into it to gut it, why would you leave the skin on?

I've never gralloched a hedgehog - :puke2: - but I can't see that it would be any more difficult to skin than a rabbit or a grey squirrel, both legendarily easy to "peel."

My bet? Folk tale, with the "baking in clay" thing as dressing to boost credibility.

maximus otter

Well I think I'd pass, but apparently;

Hedgehog (Hociwici or Niglo in Romany) is considered a delicacy, particularly by French and British Gypsies. The hedgehog is often cooked by wrapping it in clay and baking it on the fire. When the hardened clay shell is removed, the prickles come off as well. Often the hedgehog meat is cooked with agrimony and sorrel, herbs frequently used in Romani dishes. Other cooking methods include stews with onion and tomatoes and even as a lasagne.

Well I think I'd pass, but apparently;

Hedgehog (Hociwici or Niglo in Romany) is considered a delicacy, particularly by French and British Gypsies. The hedgehog is often cooked by wrapping it in clay and baking it on the fire. When the hardened clay shell is removed, the prickles come off as well. Often the hedgehog meat is cooked with agrimony and sorrel, herbs frequently used in Romani dishes. Other cooking methods include stews with onion and tomatoes and even as a lasagne.

I doubt if it would be cooked while still alive though.

Back