• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

Every time I see the title of this thread I think of the bags of potato chips I had as a kid. Not particularly nice as they were the off-cuts of spuds not used for crisps, sometimes burnt and interspersed with bits of inedible black carbonite. But they were cheap (5d) - can't remember who made them. Guess the nearest equivalent nowadays would be Walkers French Fries (although the French don't eat fries, it's the Belgians who are chip mad).

You mean Potato Sticks?
1611565304887.jpeg

"Bamba" Israeli maize snack, very moreish.
A sort of "Peanut Wotsit"...with a variety of fillings.
Available from certain North West London shops.

download-1.jpg

images-1.jpg

And round of applause for these, not seen them since I was a kid...a staple of my childhood diet!

images-3.jpg

We appear to have strayed from the topic.

Cheese and Onion are the ideal crisp flavour for a crisp sandwich.
I dunno. Most of my cats have liked chips especially because they can leave tiny greasy crumbs all over the floor.

Cheese & Onion in yellow, Chicken in green, Salt & Vinegar in pink, Original (salt) in blue and BBQ in orange - how chips in Australia are done...

images-12.jpeg

Last edited:
Cheese & Onion in yellow, Chicken in green, Salt & Vinegar in pink, Original (salt) in blue and BBQ in orange - how chips in Australia are done...

View attachment 34334

That has really got me confused and shaking my head with a grimace.

Chicken is not green. It just isn't.
Salt and Vinegar are not pink. Nothing about them are pink.

There should be an International Colour Standard for crisps.

Ready Salted - White.
Cheese n Onion - Dark Green.
Salt n Vinegar - Blue.
Prawn Cocktail - Pink.
Beef/Ox Tail - Brown.
Steak or BBQ - Dull Orange.
Chilli - Red.
Cheese varieties - Yellow.
Pizza - Multi-coloured.
Marmite/Guineess - Balc.
Pork/Ham - Purple.
Lime and Black Pepper - Light Green.

Last edited:
Ready Salted - White.
Salt n Vinegar - Blue.
Prawn Cocktail - Pink.
Beef/Ox Tail - Brown.
Chilli - Red.
Pizza - Multi-coloured.
Marmite/Guineess - Balc.
Pork/Ham - Purple.
What colour is chicken?

There should be an International Colour Standard for crisps.

Ready Salted - White.
Salt n Vinegar - Blue.
Prawn Cocktail - Pink.
Beef/Ox Tail - Brown.
Chilli - Red.
Pizza - Multi-coloured.
Marmite/Guineess - Balc.
Pork/Ham - Purple.

I generally agree with you but maybe red with green highlights/lettering for chilli and brown with red highlights/lettering for beef. And maybe a bit of yellow on the cheese n onion because there used to be pickled onion flavour (which should be green and brown??)

Dark blue for ready salted and light blue for salt and vinegar. If chilli is red, what about tomato?

If chilli is red, what about tomato?
That's why chilli should be red with green accents. Why not just put a picture of the flavour on the packet? Or a plain packet with the flavour in massive letters?
That won't work.

What about putting those little air vents that you get on packets of coffee onto crisp bags so that you can sniff your packet before you commit to buy?

What about putting those little air vents that you get on packets of coffee onto crisp bags so that you can sniff your packet before you commit to buy?

Eh?... Never seen those - all the packets I get are sealed. Surely the coffee would go stale over time with air vents.

It's more of a one-way valve with coffee I think; air can be expelled from the coffee bag but can't enter easily. If gasses or stale air comes of the coffee youn can squeeze it out through the valve.
Yes: https://digitalcollections.lib.washington.edu/digital/collection/imlsmohai/id/14934/

Never knew this before - I just checked a brand new unopened pack of coffee & sure enough, air came out on squeezing. Not sure where it came out - couldn't see a valve or any obvious place it could've escaped.

What's the idea of it - is it just so you can smell it? I'm immune as I have no sense of smell.

Lay's in the U.S. has an annual competition where they solicit flavor suggestions from the public, actually make some of them, and take a survey to see which was best. I really liked the chicken and waffles flavor a while back.

Back