• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

The "decades" Walkers crisps all seem a bit arbitrary. As well as the lamb ones for the '60s (which are the worst of the bunch, as far as I can tell), there's:

1950s: Coronation Chicken
1960s: Roast Lamb & Mint
1970s: Cheese Fondue
1980s: Chicken Tikka Masala
1990s: BBQ Rib
2000s: Sweet Chilli

Cheese Fondue is probably the only one of those where I'd be able to have a guess at the "decade" from the flavour if I didn't already know them.

Coronation Chicken's a bit of a giveaway, surely?

The "decades" Walkers crisps all seem a bit arbitrary. As well as the lamb ones for the '60s (which are the worst of the bunch, as far as I can tell), there's:

Cheese Fondue is probably the only one of those where I'd be able to have a guess at the "decade" from the flavour if I didn't already know them.

I bought a load of those half-price. We don't often eat crisps but they looked nice and there were no salt'n'vinegar!

Where I live we are about 25 years behind the rest of the world in crisp flavour technology.

It means only the basics are on offer being cheese, spring onion, bacon, crab (no prawn cocktail) and rather bizarrely mushroom flavour which smell horrible - I imagine that dog poo smells nicer than mushroom flavour crisps and I don't have a dog so I haven't been able to check out this hypothesis first hand.

Although I am pleased to announce that plain crisps have recently hit the shelves in some of the posher stores

What I do miss is Walkers salt & vinegar they are so delicious, I recall Walkers roast chicken being a bit of a mouthgasm as well.

Last edited:
I haven't had a bag of crisps for over a year, as I'm trying to cut as many carbs out of my diet as possible.
But I do crave the fried blighters, especially those that are more reformed potato powder than actual crisp.

Also, the sharper the flavour, the better.
Indeed, I'm fairly convinced that some years ago, an over-powdered Grab Bag of Salt & Vinegar Discos altered the chemistry of my mouth forever...

Those vegetable crisps are very moreish (I know potatoes are veg), the sweet potato, parsnip and beetroot ones. No idea if they're better for you, they're still salted.

They don't quite convince, do they? Chicken Tikka Masala (which I found not unpleasant but measurably 'worse' than the lamb) could have filled the Seventies slot but that would've buggered up the fondue placing - probably the strongest flavour association of the range - though I'm sure fondue first became a dinner party favourite in the 1960's. Cheese and pineapple presumably represented too great a technical challenge.

Sweet Chilli would surely be a better fit with the 90's: SE Asian fusion food, Jamie Oliver and that.

I bought a load of those half-price. We don't often eat crisps but they looked nice and there were no salt'n'vinegar!

Yeah, I only tried them as they were being sold off cheap. Seems like a half-arsed idea that was launched without fanfare only to be quietly retired.

Last edited:
I fancied a bag of crisps in Aberdeen train station earlier and thought I would buy pickled onion as I do like a pickled onion crisp. I noticed some blurb on the bag-it turns out the latest Walkers wheeze is "regional favourites". Scotlands favourite is... Pickled Onion. I am a conformist! If anyone is interested, the others are:

North England- Tomato Ketchup
The Midlands - Smoky Bacon
Wales - Beef and Onion
South East England - Worcester Sauce
South West England - Marmite (really!?)

I couldn't resist a huge bag of shop-soiled Walkers' Worcestershire Sauce flavour 'French Fries' today for a handful of pennies - not quite as good as 'Nice 'n' Spicy' Nik Naks; again, regional differences prevail.

So I thank Tesco for that, if not for illegally demolishing a much loved historic building on the basis that they could afford to pay the relatively small fine this would incur retrospectively, then erecting scary signs warning pedestrians that they may not enter the site from a certain direction - which are universally ignored.

Anyway, generally speaking crisps are nice.

I fancied a bag of crisps in Aberdeen train station earlier and thought I would buy pickled onion as I do like a pickled onion crisp. I noticed some blurb on the bag-it turns out the latest Walkers wheeze is "regional favourites". Scotlands favourite is... Pickled Onion. I am a conformist! If anyone is interested, the others are:

North England- Tomato Ketchup
The Midlands - Smoky Bacon
Wales - Beef and Onion
South East England - Worcester Sauce
South West England - Marmite (really!?)

I'd imgaine that one of the generic, most widely available favours: salt and vinegar, ready salted, cheese and onion and beef are the favourites in each of those locations.

My particular favourite once were "Scampi and Lemon Flavour Nik Naks" (which if you're not familiar with them are a sort of knobbly/gnarly corn snack), and at some point in the late 80s/early 90s were no longer available, all because the EU (possibly true rumour) banned the flavouring that was necessary for creating such an abomination.

My particular favourite once were "Scampi and Lemon Flavour Nik Naks" (which if you're not familiar with them are a sort of knobbly/gnarly corn snack), and at some point in the late 80s/early 90s were no longer available, all because the EU (possibly true rumour) banned the flavouring that was necessary for creating such an abomination.

A classmate of mine would devour bags of these and then thrust his reeking fingers beneath other boys' noses with the instruction to 'smell your mother'.

It's funny what sticks in your mind.

From Wiki :

Scampi 'n' Lemon made a comeback in 2002, just before being sold to KP and United Biscuits. The Scampi 'n' Lemon then replaced the Cream 'n' Cheesy flavour in multipacks from 2006. From 2008, the Scampi 'n' Lemon flavour was phased out to make room for the new Pickle 'n' Onion flavour. However, Scampi 'n' Lemon remains in multipacks.

At one time Scampi 'n' Lemon flavour Nik Naks contained a fish derived ingredient[citation needed]. Since 2018 the product is suitable for both vegetarians and vegans due to the removal of lactose.

I'd imgaine that one of the generic, most widely available favours: salt and vinegar, ready salted, cheese and onion and beef are the favourites in each of those locations.
Salt and vinegar for me please, or plain with a pickled egg dropped in the bag.

I was in a supermarket yesterday and the 'Smiths' brand have released 'Snag (sausage0 & Sauce' flavour (not my pic).
snagchips.jpg

Savoury Vinegar: maroon bag, London late 60s/early 70s so presumably Smith's or Golden Wonder. Sadly missed.

How did this thread end up in the superstition etc section?

Back