• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crocodile Attacks

It's good to have a hard head.

An Australian man has escaped with his life after being attacked by a saltwater crocodile while snorkelling at an exclusive Queensland resort.

Marcus McGowan, 51, has detailed how he managed to prise the predator's jaws off his head, suffering lacerations. He was airlifted to a nearby island hospital, and later flown to Cairns for further treatment.

Crocodile attacks are uncommon in Australia, but there have been several in recent months.

Mr McGowan said he was in the water with a group of people about 28km (17.3 miles) off Haggerstone Island near Cape York when he was bitten from behind.

"I thought it was a shark but when I reached up, I realised it was a crocodile. I was able to lever its jaws open just far enough to get my head out," he said in a statement.

The crocodile - suspected to be a juvenile - came back for another go, he said, but he was able to push it away, suffering a bite to his hand.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-65750805

It's good to have a hard head.

An Australian man has escaped with his life after being attacked by a saltwater crocodile while snorkelling at an exclusive Queensland resort.

Marcus McGowan, 51, has detailed how he managed to prise the predator's jaws off his head, suffering lacerations. He was airlifted to a nearby island hospital, and later flown to Cairns for further treatment.

Crocodile attacks are uncommon in Australia, but there have been several in recent months.

Mr McGowan said he was in the water with a group of people about 28km (17.3 miles) off Haggerstone Island near Cape York when he was bitten from behind.

"I thought it was a shark but when I reached up, I realised it was a crocodile. I was able to lever its jaws open just far enough to get my head out," he said in a statement.

The crocodile - suspected to be a juvenile - came back for another go, he said, but he was able to push it away, suffering a bite to his hand.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-65750805
Yeah, you'll get that up there...

Well that was lucky. :chuckle:

Also, any animal that large, that can run over a short distance as fast as a thoroughbred, deserves respect and distance.
I'm sticking with just the distance, thank you very much.

Cattle man bites crocodile.

Northern Territory cattle producer Colin Deveraux knows he is lucky to be alive after being attacked by a 3.2-metre saltwater crocodile.

Key points:​

• Cattleman Colin Deveraux was attacked by a crocodile in mid-October and is getting ready to leave hospital
  • In his struggle to survive he said he bit the crocodile on the eyelid
  • The last fatal crocodile attack in the Northern Territory was in 2018
The veteran cattleman from Twin Hill Station is set to walk out of hospital this week after spending nearly a month in Royal Darwin Hospital receiving treatment. The attack happened while on his way to do some fencing near the Finniss River last month. He stopped at a billabong after noticing fish swimming in the middle of the retreating waterway.

"The water had receded and it was down to this dirty water in the middle. I took two steps and the dirty bastard [the crocodile] latched onto my right foot," he said. "It was a big grab and he shook me like a rag doll and took off back into the water, pulling me in."

Mr Deveraux, who is aged in his mid-60s, said he tried kicking the crocodile in the ribs with his left foot and then tried biting the animal back.

"I was in such an awkward position … but by accident my teeth caught his eyelid. It was pretty thick, like holding onto leather, but I jerked back on his eyelid and he let go. I leapt away and took off with great steps up to where my car was. He chased me for a bit, maybe four metres, but then stopped."

Mr Deveraux said he got a towel and some rope to strap up his leg and stop the bleeding.

His brother then drove him 130 kilometres to hospital where Mr Deveraux has been receiving treatment for his wound ever since.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2...aux-survives-croc-attack-bites-back/103074634

A twin saved her sister by punching a croc in the face.

"When a crocodile grabbed her sister, there was only one option for Georgia Laurie - she punched it in the face.

The 28-year-old twins were swimming in Mexico when Melissa was grabbed and dragged underwater by the reptile.

The sisters were in a lagoon near Puerto Escondido, on Sunday, when the attack happened, where they'd gone to see turtles.

They'd been travelling, volunteering and working in animal sanctuaries - sister Hana tells Radio 1 Newsbeat."

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-57399864

Going back into the water to crock another croc?

A woman who saved her twin sister from the jaws of a crocodile is planning to complete a charity swim to help people with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Georgia Laurie, 30, from Sandhurst in Berkshire, punched the crocodile in the face when it attacked her twin Melissa in Mexico in June 2021.

While Melissa is almost completely recovered, Georgia said they were both still suffering from the mental impacts of the attack.

She said they had an "overwhelming desire to make something positive about what happened".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cqepj7n9p13o

Back