• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crocodile Attacks

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Croc attack

SYDNEY: A large saltwater crocodile dragged a young Australian man to his death in an outback river and then stalked his two companions as they clung to a tree in the middle of the river for 22 hours, police said on Tuesday.

:eek!!!!:

Eaten by a fearsome monster must be a fate worse than death ;)

I watched a show on C5 about shark attacks, had some gruesome footage but some very interesting scientifics behind attacks.

Saltwater crocodile, eh? What if an Australian saltwater crocodile of that size crossed pathes with a mambo sized great white in saltwater? Does this kind of zoological smackdown ever happen?

How far out do saltwater crocs go?

I cant recall where but I seem to recall reading that big crocs can be found swimming bravely along far out to see. Some have barnacles on them.

Don't want to detract from the poor bugger's fate for one minute, but it does make me wonder when people go to an area known to be inhabited by big, potentially man-eating reptiles, and then act really surprised when someone gets attacked by one of them.

I tend to take Billy Connolly's view - the sea (around Australia) is dangerous, full of sharks, sea-snakes, spinefish etc: so don't go in there! Humans have no business whatsoever being in the sea - it's not as if the sharks, sea-snakes etc ever venture inland and start leaping out at people from behind bins or anything.

What'll happen to the croc, presuming they find it, anyway? Kill it, for being a crocodile? Cart it off to somewhere else that it can attack people who shouldn't be in it's living room in the first place? Fair enough when they do so when crocs venture too close to human settlements, but movning one from one remote part of the outback to another remote part of the outback strikes me as a little redundant.

stu neville said:
Fair enough when they do so when crocs venture too close to human settlements

Even then it's a bit off to kill it. They were there first.

Have just read the BBC news report on this. Not wanting to be overly suspicious, but how do we know that the guy was eaten by a croc if there is no evidence of it. We only have these two guys word for it. For all we know, it could be an elaborate cover up.

It's probably just my suspicious nature...

McAvennie said:
Agree entirely - IIRC it's in that sort of case that they generally relocate them (seen lots of Steve Irwin ventures of that ilk).

misguidedfool said:
For all we know, it could be an elaborate cover up.

It's probably just my suspicious nature...
That's exactly what I thought when I heard the news. I'm sure this sort of thing's been done before, in the bush/jungle/at sea to cover up a murder.

I heard a bloke on R4 talking about crocs last week, can't remember his name but noted that he
a. is American
b. earned his doctorate by Heimlich-manoeuvring crocodiles to make them vomit so he could learn about what they eat by examining their stomach contents. Some contents were not dead-an otter got up and staggered off!:eek:

The point he made was that crocs are extremely hard to catch alive, and not that easy to shoot either. I'm glad it's not my job to nail this one.

Suspect killer crocodile shot

December 30, 2003

A CROCODILE believed responsible for killing a man in Australia's tropical north last week has been shot and killed by wildlife rangers.

The 3.8m saltwater crocodile was shot around midnight near where 22-year-old Brett Mann was taken in a stretch of the Finniss River, about 80km south-west of Darwin on December 21.

Northern Territory police spokesman John McCourt said it would be some time before it could be said with certainty that it was the crocodile that killed Mann, but it was shot only metres from a tree in which two of his friends took refuge for 22 hours as the croc stalked them.

McCourt said it would take several hours before rangers could retrieve the body of the crocodile and begin the grisly task of determining whether it had killed Mann.

He said the crocodile could have put Mann's body somewhere or may have consumed part of it. The crocodile's stomach would be cut open and its contents examined, he said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,8284818%5E1702,00.html

and:

Australian killer crocodile shot

A crocodile that killed a man in Australia's remote Northern Territory is thought to have been shot by wildlife rangers, according to police.

The 3.8 metre (12 feet) saltwater crocodile was found close to where 22-year-old Brett Mann was snatched in the Finniss River on 21 December.

Two friends with him were rescued after climbing a tree to get away.

Officials are confident it was the same crocodile because the creatures are strongly territorial.

Police said it was some time before they could be certain it was the crocodile that had killed Mr Mann.

A police spokesman, John McCourt, said the animals sink after they are shot and then rise to the surface several hours later.

The search for Mr Mann's remains will continue.

The crocodile may have hidden his body, but the contents of its stomach will also be examined to see if the reptile consumed part of it.

"The primary reason for the search was the recovery of the body is so the family can have closure and we remain committed to that," Mr McCourt said.

Mr Mann and two friends, Ashely McGough and Shaun Blowers, had been riding quad bikes in the area when Mr Mann was swept away by the river.

He was snatched by the crocodile, which then stalked his two friends who stayed in a tree for 22 hours, before they were winched to safety by a helicopter.

Saltwater crocodiles are the world's largest reptiles and are aggressive and dangerous.

About 100,000 live in tropical northern Australia.

They are believed to have killed more than a dozen people in the past 20 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3356245.stm

See also:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1017970.htm

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/8364779?source=Evening Standard

Redaing the more detailled report on the killing below (which interestingly differs from the intial reports) makes me wonder how simple it would have been to push someone out into the water...........

'Croc swam past with Brett in its jaws'

By Frank Thorne in Sydney and Ed Harris, Evening Standard
23 December 2003

They had spent 22 terrifying and exhausting hours clinging to each other in a tree as the crocodile that had dragged their friend to his death circled them.

Ashley McGough and Shaun Blowers, both 19, had to watch in horror as the 13ft creature lifted the lifeless body of their friend Brett Mann, 22, in its jaws below them.

Today, close to tears, the two men spoke of their ordeal which began on Sunday in the northern Australian outback, 50 miles southwest of Darwin.

After the men had spent a day quad-biking, Mr Mann went down to the flooded Finnis river to wash mud off his machine and clothes but slipped into the water and was swept downstream. Suddenly the crocodile surfaced and snatched him.

Mr Blowers said: "Two minutes later, the croc brought Brett to the surface and pretty much showed him off to us. And then off he swam.

"Five minutes later he was back. He swam around the tree and then came round the back and just sat there watching us. Then he went under. Then he'd come up again to make sure we could see him, just being cheeky."

The pair were forced to stay in the tree, fighting to stay awake until Monday morning, when a search and rescue helicopter was sent to look for them. They were winched to safety and taken to hospital.

Shaun's father, Greg Blowers, joined the search and now is anxious to find the body of Mr Mann, whom he treated like a son. He said: "Brett was a lovely bloke and he had the best laugh I'd ever heard. We'll all miss him.

"I just hope the rangers can find it and get our old mate Brett back - and put a bullet in its head, I hope."

His son added: "Brett was a quiet sort of fellow and the best bloke I've ever known."

Mr Blowers, who was discharged from hospital today after treatment for shock and hypothermia, said: "We went to the river to cool off. The river was already swollen, but then it rose dramatically as the tide came in."

The pair could only watch helplessly from the shallows as the salt-water crocodile clamped its powerful jaws around Mr Mann's shoulders and dragged him downstream. They tried to help, but were swept in by the strong current. The two men scrambled up a tree in the middle of the river and clung to each other, knowing that one slip would have seen them fall into the river.

Rangers from the Australian National Parks and Wildlife Service were today working with police to hunt down and shoot the crocodile.

Northern Territory police said the river was "awash" with large salt-water crocodiles and that it was a notorious breeding ground.

Acting Senior Sergeant Garry Casey said the river was flooded with rain from Cyclone Debbie and that the conditions would make the creature difficult to catch.

He described how the crocodile made its attack. "The croc grabbed the 22-year-old by the shoulder and he disappeared under the water.

The other two men managed to get into a tree, which was surrounded by water, before the crocodile returned. For the rest of Sunday evening, through the night and into Monday the crocodile stalked them before help arrived."

He added: "To see their friend taken like that will live with them for the rest of their lives."

Police knew that it was a crocodile-infested river, Mr Casey said, and always took precautions. "We are always careful in that sort of country, as we do quite a lot of patrols in the area. Our guys are always on the alert for crocodiles," he said.

Commander George Owen said low cloud and driving rain had grounded the helicopter while the flooded condition of the Finnis River were too dangerous for boat operations. Mr Owen said the situation would be reassessed.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/8306396?source=Evening Standard

It certainly is credible, saltwater crocs are the most dangerous water predator, (with the possible exception of Bull Sharks) they account for hundreds of people in Indonesia each year. I read one report where a woman and two men were by the water, they thought they were safe, because the water was ankle deep for many yards before it grew deeper. the croc crept up, grabbed her and was away before the men who were standing next to her could do anything about it.
Even if you had a gun you wouldnt be safe, they are masters of the ambush.

Innocent Until Proven Guilty?

:( Why? ......why was this animal shot dead? Killed before it has even been established that it is the croc responsible for this young guy's death? Do we shoot people who are just 'suspected' of murdering someone?

As unfortunate and horrifying as this death was, the croc was doing what crocs do! Yep...oh my gosh they actually do not consider we homo sapiens to be exempt from the food chain and/or too superior to be potential din dins for an animal highly evolved, with far more right to be in an aquatic environment than any dopey unwary human. I think the general concensus on this thread is that we all think these local residents should have known better, than to be unwisely for whatever reason venturing near a river, especially a flooded fast flowing body of water KNOWN to be inhabited by extremely effecient dangerous predators. I personally feel very sad this animal had to be shot, just for being an animal and being and doing what comes perfectly naturally. No attempts were even made to relocate it. But why should it be relocated anyway if the area is not usually frequented much by people. How long have we been inhabiting this planet as almost modern humans? Barely a million years ....crocs? Over 65 million! I think they have more right to their freedom to roam and live where they want to than we do!
This includes choosing their daily menu.....just don't put yourself on it.........:blah:

Ps...Hi all!:D Forgot to introduce myself....I'm Breezy your newest member:rolleyes:

I've said it before, but I pretty much agree with Stu's paraphrase of Billy Connolly's advice.

When you go into a wilderness area, you are pretty much accepting the user agreement on the box: This area contains things that can, and may well, kill you. By entering you are entitling them to do so by virtue of their very nature. There is no guarantee that you will get out alive, particularly if you go doing something stupid, so be careful, and try not to spook the wildlife.

I disagree with the idea that we have no business being in the sea or anything like that. I think we're as entitled to be there as any other creature. The other side of that is the other creatures have the right to do what they have to do to survive, such as eating any tasty morsel that goes past, or using their defensive stingers to kill anything that threatens them, and so on. Remember, to a shark, we're food.

Of course, we're also allowed to defend ourselves, just as anything else is. I don't have a problem with someone killing a shark or a crocodile that is trying to kill them, but I don't think hunting down a shark that has already killed someone really achieves anything other than satisfy some barbaric need for revenge.

I believe the reason for killing the croc was an attempt to retrieve its alleged victim's remains.:cross eye
Haven't heard any news on this yet.

Headline sadly misleading...

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 84847.html

Crocodile on plane kills 19 passengers

A crocodile escaped from a passenger's bag sparking a stampede that caused a plane to crash, killing 19 passengers and the British pilot, according to reports.

The aircraft plummeted to the ground in the Democratic Republic of the Congo when the animal, which had been smuggled into the cabin, sparked panic among passengers, the unnamed sole survivor told African magazine Jeune Afrique. ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait for the new film starring Samuel L Jackson...

Apparently a 20 footer so big but not the biggest. Can anyone translate? I think the lagNuage is Indoesian or Malay.

Another Aussie croc, this time eats a girl.

Fears for Australia missing girl after crocodile attack
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-20378949

Saltwater crocodiles are protected in Australia

Related Stories

Drunk Australian rides crocodile
Boy's body found in crocodile
Plan to kill saltwater crocodiles

Australian police looking for a missing child say they have found what appear to be human remains inside a crocodile.

The seven-year-old girl was swimming with her family in a remote waterhole in the Northern Territory on Friday, when a saltwater crocodile attacked and dragged her under.

A day later rangers shot dead a three-metre-long reptile in the waterhole - or billabong.

Initial tests suggest its stomach contained human remains.

"Further forensic testing will be conducted in Darwin," a police spokesman told AFP news agency.

The incident occurred at the Gumarrirnbang outstation, about 500km (300 miles) east of Darwin, the capital of the Northern Territory.

The girl was last seen being dragged under the water by the crocodile, which had also attacked a man who was with her in the billabong.

The BBC's Duncan Kennedy in Sydney says it is extremely rare for people to be attacked by saltwater crocodiles - a protected species in Australia.

In the latest case, police say there had been no previous sightings of crocodiles in the area, and the community believed the billabong was safe.

quite a long time ago said:
McAvennie said:
Agree entirely - IIRC it's in that sort of case that they generally relocate them (seen lots of Steve Irwin ventures of that ilk).
..except, it seems they come back...
"Homing" Crocs Voyage Hundreds of Miles
Brian Handwerk
for National Geographic News
September 26, 2007

Captured and relocated saltwater crocodiles can swim hundreds of miles to return to their home rivers, according to a new study.

A team of crocodile researchers, including the late Steve Irwin, seized three crocs near bays in Queensland, Australia, and flew them by helicopter to coastal spots between 32 and 81 miles (52 and 130 kilometers) away.

In the first satellite tracking study of wild crocodiles ever conducted, researchers kept tabs on the reptiles with a transmitter attached to the back of their heads. The device collected the data and relayed it via satellite.

The data revealed that once in ocean waters, the animals covered surprising distances—between 6 and 19 miles (10 and 30 kilometers) each day.

The reptiles headed homeward following navigational cues that scientists do not yet understand.

Because of the crocodiles' speedy return home, the study also concluded that relocating "problem" animals—which favor living near people—is not an effective strategy, and that other methods of controlling them should be developed.

It goes on to talk about how maybe crocs being related to birds could explain it.

Drunk Australian asks for trouble...

A drunk man who climbed into a crocodile enclosure in Australia and attempted to ride a 5m (16ft) long crocodile has survived his encounter.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10611973

He had been chucked out of a pub in the town of Broome for being too drunk.

The man, Michael Newman, climbed over a fence and tried to sit on the 800kg (1,800lb) saltwater crocodile.

"No person in their right mind would try to sit on a 5m crocodile, Saltwater crocodiles, once they get hold of you, are not renowned for letting you go."

The man staggered back to the pub bleeding heavily.

Pub manager Mark Phillips said staff told him that the man reappeared at about 11pm with bits of bark hanging off him and flesh gouged out of his limbs.
:shock:

sherbetbizarre said:
Drunk Australian asks for trouble...

A drunk man who climbed into a crocodile enclosure in Australia and attempted to ride a 5m (16ft) long crocodile has survived his encounter.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10611973

He had been chucked out of a pub in the town of Broome for being too drunk.

The man, Michael Newman, climbed over a fence and tried to sit on the 800kg (1,800lb) saltwater crocodile.

"No person in their right mind would try to sit on a 5m crocodile, Saltwater crocodiles, once they get hold of you, are not renowned for letting you go."

The man staggered back to the pub bleeding heavily.

Pub manager Mark Phillips said staff told him that the man reappeared at about 11pm with bits of bark hanging off him and flesh gouged out of his limbs.
:shock:

Happened in 2010.

Just got this from Oz.

The owner of the park Malcolm Douglas (I met him once) died tragically soon after the incident below, he used to start his car and then jump onboard. However that one time he got crushed,

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/malco ... 15nt7.html

And another.

Fears for Australia boy missing after crocodile attack
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-20565373

Fatal attacks in Australia by saltwater crocodiles - a protected species - remain rare

Police in northern Australia are searching for a 12-year-old boy feared killed by a crocodile, the second potential fatality in two weeks.

The boy was swimming with a group of people at Port Bradshaw in East Arnhem Land, police said.

Other members of the group tried to spear the animal but it reportedly dragged the boy to deeper waters.

A girl aged seven disappeared two weeks ago and human remains were later found in a crocodile's stomach.

That attack took place at the Gumarrirnbang outstation, about 500km (300 miles) east of Darwin, the capital of Northern Territory.

'Tragic circumstance'
Saturday's attack was at Port Bradshaw, 80km south of the town of Nhulunbuy.

Police Superintendent Michael White said in a statement: "Initial reports suggest adults within the group tried to save the boy by spearing the animal, but the crocodile dragged the child out to deeper water.

"Officers from Nhulunbuy police station are currently at the scene of the attack and searching for the boy and the crocodile."

Supt White added: "This is a tragic circumstance for the child's family and friends, and highlights the dangers of swimming in waterways in the Top End."

A day after the attack two weeks ago, police rangers shot dead a three-metre-long reptile in the same waterhole - or billabong - where the girl went missing.

Tests suggest its stomach contained human remains.

Fatal attacks in Australia by saltwater crocodiles - a protected species - remain rare.

Maybe we need a general "Huge Crocs and Alligators" thread here?

A monster saltwater crocodile that had attacked a horse has been caught at Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory.

The 4.5 metre animal was removed last night from McArthur River near Borroloola, about 1,000 kilometres east of Darwin.

Chief District Ranger Eddie Webber says it is believed to be the croc that attacked a horse in the same spot just a fortnight ago.

"Reasonable size animal ... I suggest he was in the process of building up a bit of body weight again," Mr Webber says.

"The huge croc measured a total of 4.5 metres.

"However, it had about 40cm of its tail missing, so we estimate it to be almost five metres in length.

"Large saltwater crocs are known to move in and out of the area undetected at any time of the year, so we want to remind people who utilise McArthur River to remain vigilant and exercise caution at all times."

The beast was harpooned by rangers at the junction boat ramp about 9pm, while they were out doing routine surveys.

A record 315 salties were removed from Top End waterways last year.

Last night's removal brings the total number of crocodiles removed from Territory waters this year to 34.

The Parks and Wildlife Commission is reminding people that saltwater crocs can inhabit any waterways including freshwater systems, billabongs and low areas subject to flooding.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-15/b ... 53/4575320

Buaya 7 Meter Teror Warga Bangka Kota
Bangkapos.com - Kamis, 26 April 2012 16:55 WIB

BANGKAPOS.COM, BANGKA - Keberadaan buaya di wilayah Simpangrimba, Bangka Selatan akhir-akhir ini tidak saja meresahkan warga Sungai Balar Desa Jelutung Dua. Warga Desa Bangka Kota juga resah dengan gangguan buaya di muara sungai desa setempat.

Kendati sudah membuat takut nelayan setempat, hingga saat ini belum ada warga yang menjadi korban keganasan reptil tersebut.

Ketua BPD Bangka Kota Romzan mengungkapkan warga resah karena setiap melihat perahu warga di muara, buaya tersebut turun ke air dan menghampiri perahu nelayan.

Namun tidak semua nelayan yang takut dengan keberadaan buaya tersebut, warga lainnya yang memiliki sedikit pengetahuan mistis tidak begitu menghiraukan keberadaan buaya tersebut.

"Dulu kan tahun 2009 kita pernah memancing 9 ekor buaya karena telah menerkam warga. Waktu itu ada tiga ekor yang lepas dari pancing. Mungkin buaya inilah yang mengganggu di muara itu," ungkap Romzan kepada bangkapos.com, Kamis (26/4/2012).

Aparat Desa Bangka Kota sudah berupaya mendatangkan paranormal atau pawang buaya asal Sumatera Selatan yang dulunya berhasil memancing buaya di sungai tersebut.

"Namun pawang itu belum berhasil kita datangkan karena susah menemuinya," jelas Romzan.

Terpisah, tokoh masyarakat Bangka Kota yang juga mantan Kades Bangka Kota Syafei Embun membenarkan adanya gangguan buaya di wilayah muara sungai Bangka Kota.

"Buaya tersebut panjangnya sekitar 7 meter. Memang belum ada warga yang diterkam, tapi ada perahu nelayan yang diterkamnya," kata Syafei Embun.

http://bangka.tribunnews.com/2012/04/26 ... angka-kota

"Dulu kan tahun 2009 kita pernah memancing 9 ekor buaya karena telah menerkam warga. Waktu itu ada tiga ekor yang lepas dari pancing. Mungkin buaya inilah yang mengganggu di muara itu,"

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he? And I'm not sure we can claim any kind of trend just yet - such behavior isn't unheard of. Besides, the environmental factors he's citing are hardly a new thing.

I'd also like to know just how could he tell all this from all the way back there anyway! And what did his cousin think he was up to?

I think we can at least guess what a 7 meter teror is.

BANGKAPOS.COM, BANGKA - Simpangrimba presence of crocodiles in the area, South Bangka lately not only disturbing residents Jelutung Two Rivers Village albino. Villagers are also troubled by the City Bangka crocodile disruption in estuaries local village.

Despite already scaring the local fishermen, up to now there is no citizens who are victims of the reptile malignancy.

Chairman BPD Bangka Romzan City residents expressed fret because every citizen saw the boat in the estuary, the crocodile went down into the water and fishing boats.

However, not all fishermen are afraid of the presence of crocodiles, other people who have little knowledge of the mystical is not so ignore the existence of the crocodile.

"It used to it in 2009 we have never fished 9 crocodiles because residents overpowered. Tail that time there were three loose from fishing. Perhaps this is disturbing crocodile in the mouth," said Romzan to bangkapos.com, Thursday (26/4/2012 ).

Village officials are trying to bring in Bangka City paranormal or alligator handler from South Sumatera who formerly managed to lure the crocodile in the river.

"But it has not been successful handler we bring because it is difficult to see him," said Romzan.

Separate, public figures and former City Bangka Bangka Kades Syafei City Dew justify the disruption crocodiles in the river mouth area Bangka City.

"The crocodile was about 7 feet in length. Granted there are people who have not been torn to pieces, but there are diterkamnya fishing boat," said Syafei Dew.

Picture is odd as the larger tail does not appear to have a body as far as I can tell.

Seems like the giant croc is still at large.

theyithian said:
Buaya 7 Meter Teror Warga Bangka Kota
Bangkapos.com - Kamis, 26 April 2012 16:55 WIB

BANGKAPOS.COM, BANGKA - Keberadaan buaya di wilayah Simpangrimba, Bangka Selatan akhir-akhir ini tidak saja meresahkan warga Sungai Balar Desa Jelutung Dua. Warga Desa Bangka Kota juga resah dengan gangguan buaya di muara sungai desa setempat.

Kendati sudah membuat takut nelayan setempat, hingga saat ini belum ada warga yang menjadi korban keganasan reptil tersebut.

Ketua BPD Bangka Kota Romzan mengungkapkan warga resah karena setiap melihat perahu warga di muara, buaya tersebut turun ke air dan menghampiri perahu nelayan.

Namun tidak semua nelayan yang takut dengan keberadaan buaya tersebut, warga lainnya yang memiliki sedikit pengetahuan mistis tidak begitu menghiraukan keberadaan buaya tersebut.

"Dulu kan tahun 2009 kita pernah memancing 9 ekor buaya karena telah menerkam warga. Waktu itu ada tiga ekor yang lepas dari pancing. Mungkin buaya inilah yang mengganggu di muara itu," ungkap Romzan kepada bangkapos.com, Kamis (26/4/2012).

Aparat Desa Bangka Kota sudah berupaya mendatangkan paranormal atau pawang buaya asal Sumatera Selatan yang dulunya berhasil memancing buaya di sungai tersebut.

"Namun pawang itu belum berhasil kita datangkan karena susah menemuinya," jelas Romzan.

Terpisah, tokoh masyarakat Bangka Kota yang juga mantan Kades Bangka Kota Syafei Embun membenarkan adanya gangguan buaya di wilayah muara sungai Bangka Kota.

"Buaya tersebut panjangnya sekitar 7 meter. Memang belum ada warga yang diterkam, tapi ada perahu nelayan yang diterkamnya," kata Syafei Embun.

http://bangka.tribunnews.com/2012/04/26 ... angka-kota

"Dulu kan tahun 2009 kita pernah memancing 9 ekor buaya karena telah menerkam warga. Waktu itu ada tiga ekor yang lepas dari pancing. Mungkin buaya inilah yang mengganggu di muara itu,"

Is it just me who can;t read this? :lol:

Back