• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crocodile Attacks

... It is not known if the crocodile which delivered the body was the same crocodile which killed the man. ...

It's similarly unmentioned whether the body a crocodile presented was the same man who'd been taken by a croc the day before. I'm assuming the locals assembled at the recovery event were familiar with the missing man, but you know what they say about 'assume' ...

Two things occur to me ...

First - the relatively intact state of the body makes me wonder if the attack was motivated by something other than hunger.

Second - crocs have a slow metabolism, and take some time to digest a 'load'. I wonder whether the crocs to whom the missing man's carcass was available were already 'full' and hence disinclined to feed on him.

Crocs often stuff bodys up under the bank so they get good and rotten
and to eat later.

I had what I consider a near-miss crocodile experience about 20 years ago, while on a six month camping trip across Africa. It was because I was utterly stupid about the dangers of where I found myself.

I don't remember exactly where it was, but one day when our truck stopped to make camp, myself and another guy took two folding stools away from the activity and sat near some water to go over our diaries (I wanted to get the dates of our journey so far as I'd not started writing in my diary yet).

We heard a sound in the water and looked up. The huge head of a crocodile was chomping on something. I can't put numbers to it, being useless at guessing distances and sizes, but "huge" suffices to convey my impression, plus it was some way out in the water so it would have been bigger still.

We didn't say anything. Just closed our books, picked up our stools and walked away. None of the panic that the situation perhaps deserved.

Come to think of it, Christmas Day on that trip, we camped near where a crocodile had killed a cow the day before. We walked over to see the dead cow by the water. It had a ring of bloody teeth holes around its neck but was otherwise intact. We heard the locals were going to use parts of the cow to bait a crocodile trap they were going to set. I don't remember us staying away from the water, which if true makes no sense looking back.

Its near a popular surfing spot.

A British man has died in Sri Lanka after being attacked by a crocodile, his employer has confirmed.

Paul McClean, 24, from Thames Ditton in Surrey, was dragged into a river near Arugam Bay, witnesses said.

Fawas Lafeer, who owns the nearby Safa Surf School, told BBC 5 live the Financial Times journalist was attacked while washing his hands in the river .

Local police said Mr McClean's body was found in a lagoon by a Sri Lankan Navy search team.

Financial Times (FT) editor Lionel Barber said on Twitter: "Paul McClean was an outstanding young journalist with a great future at the FT. We will miss him sorely."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41277930

Its near a popular surfing spot.

A British man has died in Sri Lanka after being attacked by a crocodile, his employer has confirmed.

Paul McClean, 24, from Thames Ditton in Surrey, was dragged into a river near Arugam Bay, witnesses said.

Fawas Lafeer, who owns the nearby Safa Surf School, told BBC 5 live the Financial Times journalist was attacked while washing his hands in the river .

Local police said Mr McClean's body was found in a lagoon by a Sri Lankan Navy search team.

Financial Times (FT) editor Lionel Barber said on Twitter: "Paul McClean was an outstanding young journalist with a great future at the FT. We will miss him sorely."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41277930
nasty beasties

Stranded men slept on car roof as crocodile circled during Kimberley ordeal
By Matthew Bamford
Updated 14 minutes ago

Two terrified men stranded for days in crocodile-infested waters in WA's remote north with dwindling water supplies, were forced to sleep on the roof of their car after a croc took an interest in their predicament.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-...ar-roof-in-kimberley-crocodile-ordeal/9180906

And further down, same article:

A family of eight were stranded for days on a remote bush track in the Kimberley earlier this month, forcing an Aboriginal elder to trek 60 kilometres to seek help for the party — which included his wheelchair-bound wife and several young children.

Robert Dutchie thought he was going to die in the attempt, but all eight members of the party were eventually rescued after five days.

I met a German tourist who told me I was a liar when I said that Australia's Northern Territory had crocodiles. He insisted that crocodiles were only in Africa. We met again and he told me that while swimming in a crocodile infested waterhole, a crocodile ate his kangaroo-skin fannypack which he had left on his towel. It contained his tickets, passport, and all his money. True story. I love German tourists. LMAO.

Stranded men slept on car roof as crocodile circled during Kimberley ordeal
By Matthew Bamford
Updated 14 minutes ago

Two terrified men stranded for days in crocodile-infested waters in WA's remote north with dwindling water supplies, were forced to sleep on the roof of their car after a croc took an interest in their predicament.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-...ar-roof-in-kimberley-crocodile-ordeal/9180906

And further down, same article:

A family of eight were stranded for days on a remote bush track in the Kimberley earlier this month, forcing an Aboriginal elder to trek 60 kilometres to seek help for the party — which included his wheelchair-bound wife and several young children.

Robert Dutchie thought he was going to die in the attempt, but all eight members of the party were eventually rescued after five days.

The first lot should have known better I reckon. The first piece of information I received in the top end was Blue up, red down - if it's not, you've rolled your car mate...the other was, in the wet stay on the effin' bitumen mate, cause crocs travel in the wet.

The last news tells me once again that those old fellas are tough old buggers.

I met a German tourist who told me I was a liar when I said that Australia's Northern Territory had crocodiles. He insisted that crocodiles were only in Africa. We met again and he told me that while swimming in a crocodile infested waterhole, a crocodile ate his kangaroo-skin fannypack which he had left on his towel. It contained his tickets, passport, and all his money. True story. I love German tourists. LMAO.

Love it...

From what I've read he'd visited some sort of 'bush toilet' where there was no running water. I carry little bottles of handwash gel, especially at work and when travelling abroad. They cost about 50p apiece. Would have saved his life.

Remarkably uninformed the bugger is-was. Crocs of one type or another live throughout the worlds tropic - subtropical regions. The estuarine and Nile crocodiles accounts for most attacks.
https://www.nationalgeographic.org/maps/crocodilian-ranges/

I love German tourists. LMAO
Yes some seem very uninformed.
Reminds me of the time at Monkey Mia with the one who climbed on the front of the catamaran despite being asked not to and blocking everyone's photo opportunities.
He was also the one who asked the guide how many sharks there were in Shark Bay.

It's similarly unmentioned whether the body a crocodile presented was the same man who'd been taken by a croc the day before. I'm assuming the locals assembled at the recovery event were familiar with the missing man, but you know what they say about 'assume' ...

Two things occur to me ...

First - the relatively intact state of the body makes me wonder if the attack was motivated by something other than hunger.

Second - crocs have a slow metabolism, and take some time to digest a 'load'. I wonder whether the crocs to whom the missing man's carcass was available were already 'full' and hence disinclined to feed on him.
The croc was said to be two meters long. Attacks by small ones like these are usually territorial rather than predatory.

The croc was said to be two meters long. Attacks by small ones like these are usually territorial rather than predatory.
True. a 6 1/2' croc is to small to attack an adult human for food. Perhaps a dog or small child?
Croc's that attack adult humans for food are usually at least (10 to 12)' longer and are often much larger. Often a large bull croc that's well past his prime will prey on humans, since it's teeth have dulled a bit and the large beast has slowed down due to age.

Reactions: Jim
Another case of taking refuge on the roof of a vehicle.

Three British tourists in Australia have been rescued after rising floodwaters stranded them on the roof of their van.

Unaware of the flood risk, the men, all in their early 20s, set up camp next to a river in Queensland, known locally for its saltwater crocodiles.

Water levels rose during the night, forcing the men on to their vehicle roof where they waited until morning.

Emergency services said the men had done the "right thing" by staying put.

The alarm was raised on Tuesday at 6:00 local time (19:00 GMT Monday) after the trio were seen on top of their half-submerged vehicle with 100m of water between them and dry land.

Saltwater crocodiles, which can reach up to 23ft (7m) in length, are known to live in the area.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-42960505

The crocodile was attacked in this case. The guy responsible didn't go through procedures.

Ahoy Cobbers!

Could an Australian inform me if it is ok to shoot a croc without a permit if you are in danger?

A station hand has been fined $10,000 for fatally shooting a 5.2-metre crocodile near Rockhampton in central Queensland last year.

Luke Stephen Orchard, 31, pleaded guilty in the Rockhampton Magistrates Court but argued he was protecting cattle on his property when he shot the "iconic" crocodile last September. Police prosecutor Jess King said experts estimated the crocodile was about 100 years old, making it rare and of cultural significance to the region.

It had been shot between the eyes. It is an offence to kill an estuarine crocodile without prior permission. The penalty is higher for killing an "iconic" crocodile, which is an animal more than 5 metres in length. ...

The court heard the Department of Environment and Science had never received an official report of livestock being taken from the property.

Magistrate Jeff Clarke said Mr Orchard was aware of the correct removal processes.

"You knew that it was a protected animal, you knew there was a process by which the presence of the animal on that property could have been reported to authorities," he said.

Mr Orchard was ordered to pay $10,000 and to forfeit the weapons used.

No conviction was recorded. ...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-16/man-fined-10k-over-croc-shooting/9454758

As long as you don't get caught...

If I was in his place, No - If I was the boss and I was losing cattle, then yes.

From what I understand they'll relocate problem crocodiles down under. A 5 meter animal is a bit iconic (not many grown to ~ 100 years)

From what I understand they'll relocate problem crocodiles down under. A 5 meter animal is a bit iconic (not many grown to ~ 100 years)

That's good, there should be a compensation scheme for farmers to discourage casual shooting.

Yeah, 15 foot's a bit big, and yeah, they do prefer to shift 'em if they not eating humans. The trouble is that in the wet, the saltie moves inland and then gets isolated in billabongs - which plays havoc with the local inhabitants - two legged or four legged.

Interesting videos on a man-eater in the Congo. The folks that depend on the river have a tough go of it. The video's provide an interesting portrayal of live in the Congo as well as the dangers that lurk in the river.

'Indonesian woman mauled to death by giant pet crocodile'

A woman has been mauled to death by a pet crocodile in its enclosure on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi.

Deasy Tuwo, 44, had reportedly been feeding the crocodile at the pearl farm where she worked, and where the animal was being kept illegally.

The 700kg crocodile, named Merry, is thought to have bitten off her arm and most of her abdomen.

The reptile has been relocated to a conservation site while authorities look for its owner.

Continued With Images:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-46901245

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx. Corrected. I still think Snappy is a better name for a 4.4m "pet" crocodile. There's a German song about Snappy.

I have always wanted to visit Sulawesi, where this awful mauling happened. I guess people are idiots the whole world over.

Back