• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crocodile Attacks

Thx. Corrected. I still think Snappy is a better name for a 4.4m "pet" crocodile. There's a German song about Snappy.
Profoundly appreciating this is a tragic tale, was reluctant to post any further.

However, it's all now effectively a, 'done deal' and there are precedents from previous, 'Fortean News' contributions

That duly acknowledged...

Well... Snappy/Merry certainty didn't hang about after deciding it was time for some scran...

"The 700kg crocodile, named Merry, is thought to have bitten off her arm and most of her abdomen"...

Put me right off ma haggis supper from the chippy, that has...

Fisherman, 27, killed after large crocodile bites off his penis

Not really sure what I can add to this, however should I find myself in Zimbabwe, I shall remember never to go swimming, fishing or frankly, to get close to any water source. Not only do I not want to die by crocodile attack, I certainly do not want my dick bitten off by one, either when I'm dead or alive.

Paul Nyamhanza had been fishing with his brother Jeremiah, 19, at a farm in Beatrice, a village in Zimbabwe, yesterday.

But as the pair cast their nets, a crocodile snatched Nyamhanza in its jaws, according to local media.

Fortunately, his brother was uninjured and reported the horrific incident to Zimparks rangers.

When Nyamhanza’s body was recovered from the water, it was discovered his penis was missing and had presumably been bitten off.

https://infosurhoy.com/cocoon/saii/...ed-after-large-crocodile-bites-off-his-penis/

Last edited:
Could have been ingested a long time ago.

An Australian farmer says he has found an orthopaedic plate inside a crocodile’s stomach and has been told it was from a person’s body.

Koorana Crocodile Farm owner John Lever found the surgical device inside a 15ft 5in croc called MJ during a post-mortem in June at his business near Rockhampton in Queensland state.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...plate-found-in-crocodiles-stomach-940936.html

Thx. Corrected. I still think Snappy is a better name for a 4.4m "pet" crocodile. There's a German song about Snappy.

I have always wanted to visit Sulawesi, where this awful mauling happened. I guess people are idiots the whole world over.

These animals are opportunistic hunters. They collate information as they wait, see a pattern, and then react. Meanwhile its prey becomes complacent.

Also, any animal that large, that can run over a short distance as fast as a thoroughbred, deserves respect and distance.

Not an attack but didn't want to start a new thread. Maybe some rationalization of croc threads needed.

A resemblance between a long-lost African crocodile and modern American crocs goes beyond the shared bump on their snouts.

New analyses of a roughly 7-million-year old skull from the extinct Crocodylus checchiai suggest that crocodiles journeyed from Africa to the Americas millions of years ago, researchers report July 23 in Scientific Reports. Unearthed in the 1930s, the fossil came from what’s now Libya and sat for decades in a museum. With CT scanning, scientists have now mapped the skull’s structure, revealing hidden anatomical features that tie the animal closely to the four species of American crocodiles alive today.

“It really looks like an American true crocodile, but it comes from Africa,” says Massimo Delfino, a paleoherpetologist at the University of Turin in Italy.

Genetic analyses had already linked the Nile crocodile with its American kin. Though scientists suspected that crocs long ago colonized one of the locales before journeying to the other, the fossil record hadn’t painted a clear picture of which came first.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/ancient-skull-crocodiles-swam-africa-americas

Strewth!

A man has survived a crocodile attack in northern Australia by prising the animal's jaws from his head, according to health officials.

The 44-year-old told medics he was swimming in Lake Placid in Queensland when he was attacked by a saltwater crocodile that he described as being 1.5m to 2m (4.9ft to 6.5ft) long. He was taken to hospital with multiple "minor lacerations". Officials said the man was lucky to escape without more serious injuries.

Critical care paramedic Paul Sweeney said the man was "remarkably calm" when emergency responders arrived at the scene on Thursday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55837971

A twin saved her sister by punching a croc in the face.

"When a crocodile grabbed her sister, there was only one option for Georgia Laurie - she punched it in the face.

The 28-year-old twins were swimming in Mexico when Melissa was grabbed and dragged underwater by the reptile.

The sisters were in a lagoon near Puerto Escondido, on Sunday, when the attack happened, where they'd gone to see turtles.

They'd been travelling, volunteering and working in animal sanctuaries - sister Hana tells Radio 1 Newsbeat."

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-57399864

A twin saved her sister by punching a croc in the face.

"When a crocodile grabbed her sister, there was only one option for Georgia Laurie - she punched it in the face.

The 28-year-old twins were swimming in Mexico when Melissa was grabbed and dragged underwater by the reptile.

The sisters were in a lagoon near Puerto Escondido, on Sunday, when the attack happened, where they'd gone to see turtles.

They'd been travelling, volunteering and working in animal sanctuaries - sister Hana tells Radio 1 Newsbeat."

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-57399864
I hope she pulls through as her bite wounds have apparently become infected and she now has sepsis.

They were interviewing an older sister on BBC breakfast this morning.

I was a bit suprised how this was largely reported as "what a fantastic, amazing ke-razy story"! What a plucky pair!

When the poor girl was in an induced coma so obviously is very, very, very unwell.

Also, this may be seen as unkind but...what were they thinking...night-swimming in a crocodile infested lagoon...by themselves... ?

Obviously - I hope they both get through this.

I was a bit suprised how this was largely reported as "what a fantastic, amazing ke-razy story"! What a plucky pair!

When the poor girl was in an induced coma so obviously is very, very, very unwell.

Also, this may be seen as unkind but...what were they thinking...night-swimming in a crocodile infested lagoon...by themselves... ?

They apparently asked the hostel they were staying in, whether it was safe to go swimming or not and were told it was.

She's definitely not out of the woods, by all accounts and sounds seriously unwell.

They apparently asked the hostel they were staying in

Yeah, or the guide telling it was safe has been reported too.

I dunno...my level of trust is going to need to be pretty high. Not "the hostel" or "a guide". These are not places to mess about in.

It a good job they were in Mexico not Australia, the crocs are a lot smaller in Central America, i dont fancy her chances punching a salty.

Poking a croc in the eye.

Two soldiers have narrowly survived being death-rolled by a 2.5 metre crocodile off the coast of Cape York after one of the men stabbed the reptile in the eye.

Key points:​

• The soldiers were swimming off Cape York when the croc attacked
  • One of the men stabbed the croc in the eye before the men clambered back on board their boat
  • It took eight hours to get the men to hospital in Cairns, 800 kilometres away
The men had been swimming off Portland Roads, north of Lockhart River, on Friday night when a crocodile attacked the soldier in his 20s.

A local couple who helped the soldiers get back to land have revealed the second man, in his 30s, prised his mate out of the crocodile's jaws, sustaining injuries himself, before he stabbed the reptile in the eye with a knife.

Katie Goodwin and Jayson Watkin own businesses at Portland Roads, around 800 kilometres north of Cairns. They said they were asked by Lockhart River police to assist with the operation until officers could get there.

Mr Watkin found his neighbour's tinny, because his own boat was beached, and went out to assist the men.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-07/qld-man-saved-friend-in-cape-york-crocodile-attack/100358870

The croc obviously didn't manage to eat the girl or they got the wrong croc.

Amassive crocodile attacked and ate an 8-year-old girl while she was bathing in the river with friends. Authorities found the remains of the young girl earlier Friday.

The attack occurred when the girl, Suci Ramadhani, was bathing in the river water with her friends on Wednesday. Officials told The Star that the girl was attacked by the crocodile in the Teluk Kayeli district of Buru Island.

Korpos Rahmad Namlea, a search and rescue official in the city of Ambon, told The Star that the young girl's friends watched the attack happen and were in complete shock at the incident.

Locals quickly made it to the scene and were able to stab the large crocodile with a spear while the young girl's head was visible inside the animal's mouth. But Namlea told The Star that when they cut into the stomach of the crocodile the remains of the girl were not inside.

https://www.newsweek.com/giant-crocodile-kills-eats-8-year-old-girl-front-her-friends-1639539

A lucky escape, kudos to Amelie and her friends who fought off the croc.

A teenager who was badly injured when a crocodile clamped on to her leg and tried to drag her under the water is to return to the UK, her father has said.

Amelie Osborn-Smith, 18, from Andover, Hampshire, was whitewater rafting on Tuesday on the Zambezi river in Zambia. Her father Brent Osborn-Smith said his daughter along with her friends managed to fight off the crocodile, forcing it to retreat.

Her family is hoping to get her transferred to a hospital in London.

Mr Osborn-Smith said the Nile crocodile had "attempted to drag her down into a characteristic death roll in order to subdue its prey".

He added: "Amelie fought back with great courage and refused to be subdued or taken under. Due to the quick thinking and intervention of all those on board, the reptile's attack was repulsed and Amelie was then brought quickly back on to the boat. Her lower leg had been badly mauled, her hip dislocated and her right foot [badly injured]. The team all pulled together with a strong sense of urgency and administered effective first aid, particularly in relation to potential blood loss. Amelie remained calm and collected throughout and the crew were amazed that she didn't even shed a tear."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-59519200

his daughter along with her friends managed to fight off the crocodile, forcing it to retreat.
Not a 5.4m salty then?

Just a wee freshie then, a chara?

76d5563caea2f6d0ad136faddedd44b2

Last edited by a moderator:
A lucky escape, kudos to Amelie and her friends who fought off the croc.

A teenager who was badly injured when a crocodile clamped on to her leg and tried to drag her under the water is to return to the UK, her father has said.

Amelie Osborn-Smith, 18, from Andover, Hampshire, was whitewater rafting on Tuesday on the Zambezi river in Zambia. Her father Brent Osborn-Smith said his daughter along with her friends managed to fight off the crocodile, forcing it to retreat.

Her family is hoping to get her transferred to a hospital in London.

Mr Osborn-Smith said the Nile crocodile had "attempted to drag her down into a characteristic death roll in order to subdue its prey".

He added: "Amelie fought back with great courage and refused to be subdued or taken under. Due to the quick thinking and intervention of all those on board, the reptile's attack was repulsed and Amelie was then brought quickly back on to the boat. Her lower leg had been badly mauled, her hip dislocated and her right foot [badly injured]. The team all pulled together with a strong sense of urgency and administered effective first aid, particularly in relation to potential blood loss. Amelie remained calm and collected throughout and the crew were amazed that she didn't even shed a tear."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-59519200

I hope She'll be alright - infection wise.

Croc's teeth aren't noted for being the most hygenic.

The crocs come with the floods.

A teenager has been bitten by a crocodile in a remote community hit by floods in Australia's Northern Territory (NT).

Authorities said the 17-year-old boy sustained a "minor laceration to his leg" and was treated at a local clinic.

Local government minister Chansey Paech told ABC News people should remain "croc wise", with crocodiles displaced from flooded rivers after heavy rain.

The Australian Defence Force is in the region helping to evacuate people.

Mr Paech said some 700 people, including 35 with medical needs, had been flown out of Kalkarindji, about 770km (478 miles) south of Darwin, after the Victoria River burst its banks.

"Defence Australia has given us three big planes - two C130s and one C27 - and they're working to fly evacuees to Katherine," he tweeted, referring to a town in the NT.

A spokeswoman for Mr Paech said major floods brought added risks from crocodiles.

"When the river bursts its banks, they're everywhere", she told the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-64832332?zephr-bottom-banner

I guess it takes 100% attention 100% of the time when you're fishing in crocodile habitats.

The remains of an Australian man who vanished while fishing with friends have been found inside a crocodile.

Kevin Darmody, 65, was last seen at Kennedy's Bend - a well-known saltwater crocodile habitat in a remote part of northern Queensland - on Saturday. After a two-day search of the area, police euthanised two large crocodiles and found human body parts. Police said it was a "tragic ending" for Mr Darmody. A formal identification process will be carried out.

Mr Darmody was an experienced fisherman and a well-known member of the community in Cape York.

The two crocodiles, which measured 4.1m (13.4 ft) and 2.8m in length, were shot dead on Monday about 1.5 km (0.9 miles) from where he was last seen. Human remains were found inside only one of the reptiles, but wildlife officers believe both were involved in the incident.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-65446354

I don't know that this can be classified as an ''attack'' as the man did fall into their enclosure. Without being flippant, they probably just saw him as another meal.

Man Killed by 40 Crocodiles After Falling Into Enclosure​

Aman has been killed and ripped apart by 40 crocodiles after he fell into their enclosure on a reptile farm.
The Cambodian man, named only as Nam in reports, of Po Banteay Chey village in Siem Reap, had been trying to transport a crocodile out of a cage as it had laid eggs when the incident occurred.

However, as he was maneuvering the crocodile with the help of a stick, the creature grabbed it with its jaws and pulled him into a pool that contained dozens of other snappers.

The crocodiles then attacked him, mauling his body to pieces, local media reported.
https://www.newsweek.com/man-killed-40-crocodiles-falling-enclosure-1802798?amp=1

Back