• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Croglin Grange Vampire

Considering the ghastly, emaciated appearance of the creature made me think of the historic Great Tenmei famine in Japan, and how the idea of starving, cannibalistic people wandering the countryside from that period still crops up in legends.

Historically there have been multiple famine periods in Britain at the time that Croglin Grange existed... according to Wikipedia, Northern England had a famine in 1649, and Scotland had famines in the 1690's, and there were various other European famines as well. Might an individual, driven to extreme measures by hunger, have broken into the family tomb, and lay hidden/and or feeding off any edible meats still left on the burials, and perhaps even tried to get in to attack/feast upon a sleeping girl in the main house, a crime of opportunity and desperation? And as with the tale the family eventually tracked him to the tombs and killed the intruder, but in the retelling the story eventually got conformed into a vampire tale in the exciting form we know?

Might an individual, driven to extreme measures by hunger, have broken into the family tomb, and lay hidden/and or feeding off any edible meats still left on the burials...

Thankfully I've never been in that position but man, there's going to be a lot more things I'm gonna eat before I start digging up tombs and "feasting" on the, urgh..."edible meats"... :O

Considering the ghastly, emaciated appearance of the creature made me think of the historic Great Tenmei famine in Japan, and how the idea of starving, cannibalistic people wandering the countryside from that period still crops up in legends.

Historically there have been multiple famine periods in Britain at the time that Croglin Grange existed... according to Wikipedia, Northern England had a famine in 1649, and Scotland had famines in the 1690's, and there were various other European famines as well. Might an individual, driven to extreme measures by hunger, have broken into the family tomb, and lay hidden/and or feeding off any edible meats still left on the burials, and perhaps even tried to get in to attack/feast upon a sleeping girl in the main house, a crime of opportunity and desperation? And as with the tale the family eventually tracked him to the tombs and killed the intruder, but in the retelling the story eventually got conformed into a vampire tale in the exciting form we know?

Great thinking - the newly buried would obviously be good food when times were hard and maybe we've missed that "mix ?" Maybe ghoulish behavior/eating flesh wasn't spoken about but attributed to the recent dead? Hence Vampires/Vampiric spirirts?

Great thinking - the newly buried would obviously be good food when times were hard and maybe we've missed that "mix ?" Maybe ghoulish behavior/eating flesh wasn't spoken about but attributed to the recent dead? Hence Vampires/Vampiric spirirts?
Reminds me of the great french film 'delicatessen'

images.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back