• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Cromer!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Swifty -
Well, not most of the buildings, but a lot of them are red. The photo you posted on March 5th, as well as others' photos, show red. Is this what Kondoru suggested, that it is the same red clay for roofs and bricks? Here in the US, red tile roofs are rare. Hey - its good to know I can see, on a single visit to Cromer, such mythical creatures as the Loch Ness monster, Godzilla, and Bernie Sanders.

I am still reading through the Cromer Chronicles, written by all the devotees. You, as the Ambassador of Cromer (Prime Minister?), have I am sure a lot of correspondence to get through every day. Swifty, where can I apply for an entrance visa? I am in love.
I'm not the king of Cromer by any stretch .. I'm not even from Comer, I'm a proud of it Brummie .. just move here I suppose?, that's what I did with two suitcases, a backpack and hope via trains 15 years ago because I was always broke and decided to be broke somewhere beautiful instead .. I didn't have any ambitions but I like the different cultural way of life. Patience is a virtue in Cromer .. so you'll stand in a que in a shop and politely try to not to say "Oh for fuck's sake!" when the person being served gets into a chat with the server and you just want to buy a pint of milk .. it's the Cromer way so breath out and smile .. it's hard for a lot of people to get used to .. they either go zero mile and hour or sometime a thousand mile an hour.

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Gutted the cigar and pipe tobacco shop is no longer there :(

Swifty

Reaction score
You are in our eyes! :bdown:

And I think I speak for all of us when I say we hope the crab harvest catch doesn't fail, and we have to take measures :pitch:
I must correct you ..

You've not met John Graveling of Cromer .. me and the Mrs bow before him. He's impressive, almost 90 and I've worked for him in Cromer. It's hard to know where to start describing what a legend this man is .. his published autobiography would be a good place to start. And his war memories. And him chasing a horse up my street in the 50's. And his internship with Aston Villa. And his Mrs who's an award winning marmalade maker. And he's a Christian pastor so we'd walk though the woods together to attend CVM meetings .. Christian Voice for Men .. but only for men so I asked him why women aren't allowed? .. "They're allowed to set up their own group if they want to?!" ..

When he climbed up a ladder two years ago when I was manager and through a window, the 'girls' (who all adore him) asked me to make sure he was safe because everyone's given up on asking him to be careful .. he does what he wants when he wants .. when he bought an ice cream off me and asked how much, he told me that was too much and gave me a quid instead :cool: .. and when I was helping him in his vegetable patch and his mobile phone rang and someone called it and said "We understand you've been in an accident at work that wasn't your fault." he replied with "My name is John Graveling, it's a beautiful sunny day, I'm in my garden and I suggest you instead take a job that doesn't involve telling lies!" :cool:

His lovely wife tries to stop him eating sweet stuff but he sneaks away to ask my Mrs if there's any cake left and then asks her if he can join her for a cup of coffee.

"John is also still a constant presence in the house. As well as offering general advice from his years of experience in the industry, and knowing exactly where every pipe and wire in the 200 year-old building go, John is firmly in control of fruit and vegetable gardens. *** **** has always had a large emphasis on home grown produce, starting with Bob’s cows, pigs, goats and hens. Since opening to as a restaurant in 2011, *** **** has made this its main focus, and gained a reputation for fresh produce, often still growing just hours before it is eaten. In terms of food miles, we are talking about 0.06 miles! John’s poly-tunnel and fruit and vegetable plot produce salad vegetables, beans, courgettes, brassicas, alliums, herbs, gooseberries, red currants, cherries, apples, pears as well as trying more unusual fare. Last year, there were cucamelons; a cross between a cucumber and a melon, the year before tomatilloes. “I don’t know what my grandparents would think of the food we serve” says Chris, “but I’m sure they would be very happy to see how many people are enjoying *** **** now”. "

My thread about the pillbox preservation is from his grounds. John was actually born in what is now the dining room as war was breaking out so his parents gave the building over to army generals to use. Fast forward to March last year and his Son's gave the building over to NHS staff as a resting place while it it was closed to the public due to covid.

ajohn001.jpg

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
Gutted the cigar and pipe tobacco shop is no longer there :(
It's still there? .. the huge old mirror is still above the doorway anyway. It's sort of a half hearted newsagents instead now but to be honest, it ended up being a half hearted tobacco shop when that younger bloke took it over. I bought a blue flame zippo off him and that didn't work (not his fault) .. he sent it back to zippo then it didn't work again and he didn't give a toss so I wrote the experience off ..

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's still there? .. the huge old mirror is still above the doorway anyway. It's sort of a half hearted newsagents instead now but to be honest, it ended up being a half hearted tobacco shop when that younger bloke took it over. I bought a blue flame zippo off him and that didn't work (not his fault) .. he sent it back to zippo then it didn't work again and he didn't give a toss so I wrote the experience off ..
Not proper like it was tho is it.

I remember back in the 90s, it was the only place in Norfolk I think that sold blunts ;)

CharmerKamelion

Who knows where it will end?
Reaction score
WOW! Just stumbled across this thread. So much to learn about Cromer! I visited it a couple of times as a kid, just for days out from where we stayed in a caravan park in nearby Mundesley. Vivid memories of collecting a series of postcards about East Anglian oddities, one of which was about Black Shuck, which I suspect fired my embryonic interest in forteana.

I last went there for a week back in June 2019 - about a week after this thread was begun. Stayed a little way out of the town in sleepy Northrepps, nicely off the beaten track. One day I enjoyed a cracking lunch in The Red Lion, close to the pier in Cromer. It was an interesting pub. Delighted to read that there have been reports of a shadow-type ghost there!

I haven't read all of this thread - 34 pages! Guys! - but I will. In the meantime I wanted to share a few photos. Is Cromer weird? Does the Pope sh*t in the woods?
IMG-20210319-WA0004.jpg
Above spotted by the side of the A149 just outside Cromer
IMG-20190723-WA0096.jpg
Above - anthropomorphised shrimp near the sea front
IMG-20210319-WA0005.jpg
Above spotted in a garden at Northrepps, a few miles outside Cromer. Where else would the Doctor take a holiday?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
WOW! Just stumbled across this thread. So much to learn about Cromer! I visited it a couple of times as a kid, just for days out from where we stayed in a caravan park in nearby Mundesley. Vivid memories of collecting a series of postcards about East Anglian oddities, one of which was about Black Shuck, which I suspect fired my embryonic interest in forteana.

I last went there for a week back in June 2019 - about a week after this thread was begun. Stayed a little way out of the town in sleepy Northrepps, nicely off the beaten track. One day I enjoyed a cracking lunch in The Red Lion, close to the pier in Cromer. It was an interesting pub. Delighted to read that there have been reports of a shadow-type ghost there!

I haven't read all of this thread - 34 pages! Guys! - but I will. In the meantime I wanted to share a few photos. Is Cromer weird? Does the Pope sh*t in the woods?
View attachment 36919
View attachment 36920
View attachment 36921
Above spotted in a garden at Northrepps, a few miles outside Cromer. Where else would the Doctor take a holiday?
Most of the thread is just taking the piss out of @Swifty :p

Swifty

Reaction score

View attachment 36919
View attachment 36920
View attachment 36921
The metal being (outside the cafe and bike repair place is literally 2 minutes walk up the road from my house and the lobster is (usually .. when we're not in a pandemic) outside the Cliftonville Hotel where the Mrs used to be a senior manager ... and I used to have the keys to The Red Lion and lived there for nearly two years when I was night porter/manager. I can't remember seeing that Tardis though? ..

CharmerKamelion

Reaction score
I can't remember seeing that Tardis though? ..
Evening Swifty. I would be proud to have a whole thread dedicated to taking the piss out of me! One day, maybe....

Like I said the Tardis was tucked away in someone's back garden in a quiet close in the sleepy village of Northrepps, and the top of it was just visible over the high wooden gates. It might not be there anymore. It tends never to stay in one place for too long......

So you lived and worked at The Red Lion? Any..... tales??? :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

Swifty

Reaction score
Evening Swifty. I would be proud to have a whole thread dedicated to taking the piss out of me! One day, maybe....

Like I said the Tardis was tucked away in someone's back garden in a quiet close in the sleepy village of Northrepps, and the top of it was just visible over the high wooden gates. It might not be there anymore. It tends never to stay in one place for too long......

So you lived and worked at The Red Lion? Any..... tales??? :oops:
It's haunted, the owner more than once tried to seduce me, I once had to evacuate all customers and residents when we took a direct hit from lightning, I used to extend drinking time for the RNLI for no other reason than they're heroes so I wanted to, it had a lawn in front of it over 100 years before I was born, there's worse places to wake up than in a four story Victorian building. I was gifted (when I left and by the then owner) a silver plated sugar bowl with THE RED LION CROMER) embossed on it but I ended up selling that to the new owner when I was hard up for cash for twenty quid. It was from the 50's when John Bolton owned both The Red Lion and The Cliftonville hotels in Cromer .. some R.A.F. radar technicians stole one of the silver ware once so my manager phoned their base and threatened to call the police if it wasn't returned .. so they returned it. They were massive 'assholes' though and used to phone me in the middle of the night even though they'd been offered a key to the place to let themselves back in so I had to get out of bed and let them in. They did this about four nights in a row for laughs, I got a bit run down, developed a cold so I snot rocketed in their milk one morning.

Last edited:

CharmerKamelion

Reaction score
It's haunted, the owner more than once tried to seduce me, I once had to evacuate all customers and residents when we took a direct hit from lightning, I used to extend drinking time for the RNLI for no other reason than they're heroes so I wanted to, it had a lawn in front of it over 100 years before I was born, there's worse places to wake up than in a four story Victorian building. I was gifted (when I left and by the then owner) a silver plated sugar bowl with THE RED LION CROMER) embossed on it but I ended up selling that to the new owner when I was hard up for cash for twenty quid. It was from the 50's when John Bolton owned both The Red Lion and The Cliftonville hotels in Cromer .. some R.A.F. radar technicians stole one of the silver ware once so my manager phoned their base and threatened to call the police if it wasn't returned .. so they returned it. They were massive 'assholes' though and used to phone me in the middle of the night even though they'd been offered a key to the place to let themselves back in so I had to get out of bed and let them in. They did this about four nights in a row for laughs, I got a bit run down, developed a cold so I snot rocketed in their milk one morning.
Well, I did ask ! :omg:

It's the first eleven words of your reply that intrigue me the most. Just one more question, though : when is the book coming out?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Covid: Plan unveiled to 'spruce up' coastal areas and high streets

All coastal towns in England will be eligible for government funding to help them reopen as restrictions are eased, under new plans set out by ministers.

Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick said the £56m fund would also "spruce up" high streets and help councils welcome visitors back safely.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56461675

Who me

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Morning swifty so please tell us what it was haunted by or was the tale told in another thread.

CharmerKamelion

Reaction score
Did you consider that it could have been a photo that was taken next year?
I did. It wasn't actually in Cromer, but not far outside so it is highly possible the zone of weirdness centred on Cromer spills out for a few miles. I have a feeling that I might not be travelling too far afield next year so maybe I will visit North Norfolk again to check to see if the Doctor is still in residence!

Swifty

Reaction score
Well, I did ask ! :omg:

It's the first eleven words of your reply that intrigue me the most. Just one more question, though : when is the book coming out?
Thank you but I wouldn't know how to write a book, I can though handle short bursts of writing that our mods (usually) tolerate so far. Some people have asked me to write a book but I'd over think it and it would be a mess. I just enjoy writing in small burst to vent.
Morning swifty so please tell us what it was haunted by or was the tale told in another thread.
I told that one in another thread .. haunted hotels I think? .. it's a 'shadow person' woman who I was told mistook me for (or I reminded her of) a bell boy called Billy but of course that all could be a load of crap .. but I did see full on a black void woman shape walk across my direct line of vision .. it was late at night and I was tired so that could be the more sensible explanation instead but it was very vivid.

CharmerKamelion

Reaction score
Tigerhawk, is that a pic of ceremonial dress? ^^^ Or just everyday wear for the Cromer area?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Thank you but I wouldn't know how to write a book, I can though handle short bursts of writing that our mods (usually) tolerate so far. Some people have asked me to write a book but I'd over think it and it would be a mess. I just enjoy writing in small burst to vent.

You should at least try to write short stories.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 36919
View attachment 36920
View attachment 36921
In a Jon Pertwee story UNIT HQ is transported to a different universe and the Brigadier looks onto the alien landscape not believing a word of it. He looks off to the horizon and calmly states that he’s sure that’s Cromer just over there.

CharmerKamelion

Reaction score
Oh I know. "I'm fairly sure that's Cromer." Classic Brig moment, second only to "Chap with the wings there. Five rounds rapid." And just above "Liberty Hall, Dr Tyler. Liberty Hall".