Cromer!

CharmerKamelion

Who knows where it will end?
Reaction score
Swifty - just read your posts about The Red Lion on the Haunted Hotels thread. What can I say? Great stuff! I suppose the place is all closed up still. I hope that lady ghost isn't getting too lonely there.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Would it be like ' The Chronicles of Narnia'? lots of people coming out of the closet :p
All sorts of strange folk...
Simeons-TrueForm.jpg

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Would it be like ' The Chronicles of Narnia'? lots of people coming out of the closet :p
Lol .. no, although there's a lot of gay and lesbian people here, there isn't a 'scene' (as far as I know) in Cromer .. there was an attempt at a rainbow march a few years back but from memory only about 15 lesbians who'd looked to be in their twenties turned up but the council building raised the rainbow flag for the day and everyone had a good day I was told .. If I attempted a book of any kind, I'd probably do something similar to John Graveling I think .. he's paraphrased it 'facts, faith and a bit of fantasy' so it starts in 1936 when his nanny accidently let go of his pram, that then rolled down the gangway and ended up in the sea where baby John had to be rescued .. his Son has hinted to me that that's probably bullshit but who knows? .. I can get a signed (by John) copy if you want to buy one ..

edit: He invited me to join him for fish and chips in town a couple of years, he's nearly 90 but he chose our route into town: a short cut through the woods and he was walking faster than I was. He's told me (pre covid) I can visit him anytime if I need any help. He (and his wife) also take in the occasional struggling socially young adults so they can live there for a bit until they're back on their feet. Then he gives them a leaving date :cool:.

Last edited:

CharmerKamelion

Who knows where it will end?
Reaction score
Did the Nanny have a look of Billie Whitelaw about her?

IMG-20210321-WA0002.jpg

Swifty

Reaction score
Swifty - just read your posts about The Red Lion on the Haunted Hotels thread. What can I say? Great stuff! I suppose the place is all closed up still. I hope that lady ghost isn't getting too lonely there.
She's been dead since WW1 so she's probably got the hang of it by now? ..

Swifty

Reaction score
A local Cromer legend has sadly just passed on .. Donny Abbs .. ex RNLI life saver and fisherman and loved by many (especially the women .. even when he became an old man) ...

I've just sent this sentiment to his Son ..

Donny used to come in The Lion (as I'm sure you know) for his half pint of Guinness ... and I hope this can bring a smile to you .. I had to polish the mirrors behind the bar every week and he said the usual thing everyone always says "You've missed a bit" so I humoured him thinking it was just that joke again but then he pointed at the mirror and said "No? .. there!" ... I looked closer and there was a beautiful young brunette in a mini skirt dancing outside reflected in the mirror and Donnie smiled at me
1f60e.png

adonny001.jpg

Donnie remembered when a 'shout' involved rocket flairs being fired up .. and sweeping up outside the church as a teenager when we were bombed by the nazis .. a good old Norfolk boy.

Last edited:

feinman

Asymmetric Contact From Hyperdimensional Aliens.
Reaction score
Some intel before your book:
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/g/r-j-gould/bench-by-cromer-beach.htm
Famous writers and other folks on Cromer:
https://www.literarynorfolk.co.uk/cromer.htm
More:
https://eurocrime.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-crime-fiction-of-norfolk-county.html
"Adam Longden's second fiction novel, Seaside Skeletons is mainly set in Cromer':
https://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news/chef-writes-cromer-set-sequel-to-debut-novel-1640544
And..
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/46218216-the-road-to-cromer-pier
Swifty --you might already be a character in one of these books :p

It's been done for Lake Oswego, too, based on our cray cray Police blotter o_O:
https://www.amazon.com/Prisoner-Pea...&keywords=prisoner+pear&qid=1616714974&sr=8-1

If I lived over there, I'd be going bonkers with a metal detector!!!

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
Some intel before your book:
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/g/r-j-gould/bench-by-cromer-beach.htm
Famous writers and other folks on Cromer:
https://www.literarynorfolk.co.uk/cromer.htm
More:
https://eurocrime.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-crime-fiction-of-norfolk-county.html
"Adam Longden's second fiction novel, Seaside Skeletons is mainly set in Cromer':
https://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news/chef-writes-cromer-set-sequel-to-debut-novel-1640544
And..
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/46218216-the-road-to-cromer-pier
Swifty --you might already be a character in one of these books :p

It's been done for Lake Oswego, too, based on our cray cray Police blotter o_O:
https://www.amazon.com/Prisoner-Pea...&keywords=prisoner+pear&qid=1616714974&sr=8-1
Thanks brother but I need to sort myself out before I write a book. Or I'm being a pussy and I need to write a book? ... I'll ask John Graveling how he went about getting published.

feinman

Asymmetric Contact From Hyperdimensional Aliens.
Reaction score
Thanks brother but I need to sort myself out before I write a book. Or I'm being a pussy and I need to write a book? ... I'll ask John Graveling how he went about getting published.
I've been toying with the idea of eventually writing fiction too! I think a big step is carrying around a pad to write things down on before you forget them!! :headbang:

Swifty

Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of eventually writing fiction too! I think a big step is carrying around a pad to write things down on before you forget them!! :headbang:
I don't want to write fiction and I write reminders on my wrist with a biro .. my Dad told me when I was younger "Don't do that because people will think your stupid" .. then I later saw that paramedics to the same style on there gloves .... because they're too busy to piss around .. I currently have 12:30 written on the inside of my left wrist .. my boss fucked up and put me on the rota to work tomorrow even though I'd shown him my letter stating I have to go to hospital tomorrow ... he's tired as well bless him so no drama there unless no one else turns up to help ****** who works her arse off :( .. so I want to write about real life instead.

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
A local Cromer legend has sadly just passed on .. Donny Abbs .. ex RNLI life saver and fisherman and loved by many (especially the women .. even when he became an old man) ...

I've just sent this sentiment to his Son ..

Donny used to come in The Lion (as I'm sure you know) for his half pint of Guinness ... and I hope this can bring a smile to you .. I had to polish the mirrors behind the bar every week and he said the usual thing everyone always says "You've missed a bit" so I humoured him thinking it was just that joke again but then he pointed at the mirror and said "No? .. there!" ... I looked closer and there was a beautiful young brunette in a mini skirt dancing outside reflected in the mirror and Donnie smiled at me
1f60e.png

View attachment 37225

Donnie remembered when a 'shout' involved rocket flairs being fired up .. and sweeping up outside the church as a teenager when we were bombed by the nazis .. a good old Norfolk boy.
edit: more about the 'good old boy' .. a true character, I had the pleasure of becoming his friend and even rescuing a few chairs for him from a mobile skip when no one was watching (his idea) about 15 years ago for his home ..

Cromer lifeboat legend Donald 'Donny' Abbs dies aged 93 | Eastern Daily Press (edp24.co.uk)

.. and still if you mention Don's name to old women in Cromer, you'll spot a quick smile and then sealed lips .. and he always wore blue ... :badge:

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
Cromer McDonalds opens today .. they're going to get hit harder than Pearl Harbour .. which means we should get a quiet day at last?. Please!. This is the first Maccy D's to open on the North Norfolk coast.

"Well today is finally here. We open from 11am today. Due to current restrictions we are only operating our Drive Thru lane, Click and Serve and Walk in Take Away. Unfortunately, we are not offering McDelivery currently.
Hope to see you soon."

Last edited:

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Cromer McDonalds opens today .. they're going to get hit harder than Pearl Harbour .. which means we should get a quiet day at last?. Please!. This is the first Maccy D's to open on the North Norfolk coast.

"Well today is finally here. We open from 11am today. Due to current restrictions we are only operating our Drive Thru lane, Click and Serve and Walk in Take Away. Unfortunately, we are not offering McDelivery currently.
Hope to see you soon."

Spot Swifty in his new work clothes...

McDonaldland_1986.jpg

Swifty

Reaction score
Best of luck swifty you will be totally knackerd by the end of the dayyyy
I am totally knackered at the end of today .. to be fair, it was their opening day but something went wrong there so they had to close for an hour and a half .. I've had to do that for about 10 minutes before but this is Mcdonalds? .. I've never known a Maccy D's close unexpectedly before apart from when that one got shot up in the '80's .. Cromer Maccy D has also officially fucked up twice by closing for an hour and a half today and also an hour and a half early tonight so I had a line of customers across our carpark until I had to draw the line because I've been on my own this evening. Phoned my boss afterwards and he found it hilarious because he'd predicted it (he had .. we'd had the conversation) .. so I did an hour overtime to make sure everything is 100% and clean for tomorrow.

Cromer McDonalds have removed their opening time for tomorrow so I'm guessing it's a tech fault or not enough of something essential has been ordered more likely. My customers were telling me there was an hour waiting time there. They definitely got a kicking .. I expect some manager might be in trouble at the moment.

(edit.. I don't work at McDonalds be be clearer)

Last edited:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I'm totally knackered at the end of today .. to be fair, it was their opening day but something went wrong there so they had to close for an hour and a half .. I've had to do that for about 10 minutes before but this is Mcdonalds? .. I've never known a Maccy D's close unexpectedly before apart from when that one got shot up in the '80's .. Cromer Maccy D has also officially fucked up twice by closing for an hour and a half today and also an hour and a half early tonight so I had a line of customers across our carpark until I had to draw the line because I've been on my own this evening. Phoned my boss afterwards and he found it hilarious because he'd predicted it (he had .. we'd had the conversation) .. so I did an hour overtime to make sure everything is 100% and clean for tomorrow.

Cromer McDonalds have removed their opening time for tomorrow so I'm guessing it's a tech fault or not enough of something essential has been ordered. My customers were telling me there was an hour waiting time there. They definitely got a kicking .. I expect some manager might be in trouble at the moment.

People queuing for an hour for a McDonalds? Must be feckin' bonkers, starving, hypnotised, or something.

What sort of fast food do you do Swifty? - I'm assuming from your posts you're providing some sort of ready edibles. You've had so many jobs since I've been here I've lost track of the current situation - sorry!

Swifty

Reaction score
People queuing for an hour for a McDonalds? Must be feckin' bonkers, starving, hypnotised, or something.

What sort of fast food do you do Swifty? - I'm assuming from your posts you're providing some sort of ready edibles. You've had so many jobs since I've been here I've lost track of the current situation - sorry!
I don't do fast food and would prefer not to zero in the internet exactly where I work, I hope you understand.

Who me

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Hmm must be hypnotised they queue right back on to a main road blocking a roundabout on the trading estate near where I live.Don’t eat em myself.