• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Cromer!

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
Terribly jealous that my own provincial Norfolk town doesn't get it's own thread... :(

View attachment 38296
1618832543178.png

And has Cromer got Scargy's world famous relatives? No Great Yarmouth has! They are the same age as me and the reason why I preferred village outings to Great Yarmouth rather than stuffy old Cromer! <runs to hide from Swifty)

Sollywos x

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Ah...The Snails. Pride of the East.

Honourable mention to The Tubs. Their companions in fun and frivolity.

:salute:

1618834384391.png

Pleasure Beach Giaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant!

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In fairness - we do have rather a special roller coaster. One of the very last ones to be constructed from wood and one of the very last ones to have a brakeman riding abroad to control the speed.

It is more accurately a "scenic railway" rather than a roller coaster. Interesting article here - https://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co...oaster-arrived-in-yarmouth-from-paris-7301258

"The Scenic Railway
In 1929 Pat Collins attended the Paris Colonial Exposition, where the largest attraction was the Scenic Railway. It had been designed by German Herr Erich Heidrich of Hamburg especially for the Exposition, and was operated by showman Hugo Hans. At the close of the Exposition, Pat Collins bought the ride and had the components shipped to England. They arrived in February 1932 and a team of German workmen began constructing the ride on the sands of the Pleasure Beach site. The ride opened to visitors in April 1932.

Like other scenic railways of the time, the Scenic was clad in mountainous-styled plaster which hung from the sides of the wooden structure. Other scenic features like castles were constructed around parts of the ride. The ride came with five trains. Each of which had three cars with five bench seats per car. These cars were made entirely of wood, and each train had a 'brakeman' riding aboard to control the speed of the train. New trains were built in the early 1960s and these are still in operation today. A brakeman still rides the train as there are no brakes on the track.

The ride was completely re-clad in the late 1960s with steel sheet replacing the old plaster. The ride was painted in a mountainous landscape with rolling hills and valleys.

The ride continues to be the most popular attraction at the Pleasure Beach, with its popularity largely due to its uniqueness. It is the only operational scenic railway roller coaster in the UK, and one of only less than ten roller coasters in the world to feature a brakeman travelling on the train. The continued dedicated maintenance work by the Pleasure Beach has ensured that the ride remains in good condition, with work carried out every winter to renew timber. Re-cladding has taken place again since 2002, and the ride celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2007.

Roller Coaster has been voted an ACE Coaster Classic.[2]"

From wiki.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Terribly jealous that my own provincial Norfolk town doesn't get it's own thread... :(

View attachment 38296
Many, many years ago when I was at university in Norwich, a friend and I caught the train to Reedham for lunch. Then, and without having planned to do so, we walked to Great Yarmouth along the bank of the Yare. It was a grey and quite spooky day, with an air of doom over the bleak, virtually monochrome landscape.

Even more oddly - I'm normally well behaved and this was very much the exception - one of the boats moored on the riverbank in the middle of nowhere had an open door/hatch, perhaps as the result of having been broken into. So we let ourselves in, made a cup of tea, and left money for the tea and a note signed Cthulhu! Don't tell Maximus or we'll be in trouble, though this was 1983...

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Many, many years ago when I was at university in Norwich, a friend and I caught the train to Reedham for lunch. Then, and without having planned to do so, we walked to Great Yarmouth along the bank of the Yare. It was a grey and quite spooky day, with an air of doom over the bleak, virtually monochrome landscape.

Even more oddly - I'm normally well behaved and this was very much the exception - one of the boats moored on the riverbank in the middle of nowhere had an open door/hatch, perhaps as the result of having been broken into. So we let ourselves in, made a cup of tea, and left money for the tea and a note signed Cthulhu! Don't tell Maximus or we'll be in trouble, though this was 1983...
Cracking story.

I went to UEA too :)

The area you descibed, the broadland area to the north west of Yarmouth is probably my favourite landscape in the world. As you say...it has a bleakness to it. A sinister enigmatic air of gloom. I love it. Born and bred amonst the watery, eely marshes.

Timble2

Imaginary Person
Reaction score

View attachment 38296
The first time I visited Yarmouth was in May 1978, it was shrouded in thick wet fog, and it was the day the Eleni V oil tanker collided with another ship and sank up just off the coast. The second time I went was about 1980, it was a sunny day, the fog had been an improvement. I haven't been a third time.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The first time I visited Yarmouth was in May 1978, it was shrouded in thick wet fog, and it was the day the Eleni V oil tanker collided with another ship and sank up just off the coast. The second time I went was about 1980, it was a sunny day, the fog had been an improvement. I haven't been a third time.
You'll be amazed what you find the third time...
tumblr_2e17c13f3e864cdc8a78f1ca103a94bc_ab5be4d9_500.gif

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
In that case you missed it during it's heydays of the 50's and 60s! We youngsters loved it from childhood to our teenage years. Oh that exciting time graduating from The Snails to The Scenic Railway a real 'right of passage'! I can remember queueing up that first time, the scarey ascent and then discovering just why everyone screamed on the descent!

It had one of the best sandy beaches, a swimming pool if you fancied a change form the sea, the best candy floss, the best ice cream, the best doughnuts, the best chips ... what more do you want?

Clacton had the best sea for swimming in if you caught the tide right. Felistowe had a big wheel, Lowestoft had good sand but with less exciting attractions came second to Great Yarmouth.

With few of us having cars we were reliant on various organisations within the village to get up the outings and in truth we were happy to go to any of those resorts even Cromer (the one the WI was most likely to favour), yep at a push even CROMER .... just to steer this thread back to topic. :)

Sollywos x

Timble2

Imaginary Person
Reaction score
Slightly off-topic, I wonder if Cromer and other traditional seaside towns will get a bit of a boost, post-lockdown as the number of places you can go to out of the country will pretty limited even after the current travel restrictions are limited because a) some places won't let you in anyway, b) even if you get there there's no guarantee that you won't have to quarantine when you try to come home, or c) get stranded when the airline goes bust.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Slightly off-topic, I wonder if Cromer and other traditional seaside towns will get a bit of a boost, post-lockdown as the number of places you can go to out of the country will pretty limited even after the current travel restrictions are limited because a) some places won't let you in anyway, b) even if you get there there's no guarantee that you won't have to quarantine when you try to come home, or c) get stranded when the airline goes bust.
Covid might yet produce a surprising bonus.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I heard Sheringham are erecting fences on the town boundary and even installing a checkpoint on the Cromer Road, insisting on a valid C19 certificate for entry.
Only very limited bookings are available for the Whelk Coppers Tea Rooms and the Two Lifeboats, and if you were hoping to use the beach huts you'll be disappointed.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
The men in Cromer are a sight to behold!

1444055457_Demonclown.gif