Cromer!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I don’t know if you know why it’s called a “12” or “20” bore? If you take 1 pound of pure lead, divide it into twelve equal portions, then melt one of those portions down and cast it into a sphere, its diameter will be 0.729”, which is 12-bore. For 20-bore use twenty equal portions, and the ball will be 0.615”.

Not a lot of people know that…

maximus otter
I did not know that. Thanks.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I did not know that. Thanks.
Likewise - thank you Max - and had no idea about this either, until a few moments ago.

sptbksikauvx_resize_94.jpg

Screenshot_20210907-075648.jpg

Not saying that photograph is creepy...it is Cromer after all....

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I don’t know if you know why it’s called a “12” or “20” bore? If you take 1 pound of pure lead, divide it into twelve equal portions, then melt one of those portions down and cast it into a sphere, its diameter will be 0.729”, which is 12-bore. For 20-bore use twenty equal portions, and the ball will be 0.615”.

maximus otter
Is the same true for the US 'gauge'? I thought it might be to do with the same way the measure the diameter of wire

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Likewise - thank you Max - and had no idea about this either, until a few moments ago.
Not saying that photograph is creepy...it is Cromer after all....
Here's more background on Einstein's stay in the Cromer area ...
Albert Einstein seeks sanctuary in Norfolk

In 1933 the world's most famous scientist was taken into hiding on an isolated heath in Cromer.

Einstein was strongly opposed to war. He said he would rather be hacked to pieces than fight. But events in his homeland were having a profound effect on his conscience.

So something had to be done to rescue the worlds cleverest man. Commander Oliver Locker-Lampson, an eccentric MP with business interests in Cromer, offered Einstein refuge in the Norfolk countryside. ...

"It seems some sort of scheme was concocted between the King of Belgium and Locker-Lampson and possibly Winston Churchill to get Einstein to safety," said Stuart McClaren.

"They sent a man over to Ostend. He went and brought Einstein back."

He was brought to live in a small hut on Roughton Heath in Cromer. ...

There was a bounty of a thousand guineas on Einsteins head. Security was tight at the camp, much to the bemusement of some of the locals.

Even though Einstein was in exile, he still used the time to gain a deeper understanding of what made the universe tick.

The work he was doing in a hut, isolated in Norfolk, was to become the cornerstone of science today. ...

Eventually, prompted by an artist who came to Roughton to make a bust of Einstein's head, the great thinker spoke out against Hitler and urged the world to take up arms against the dictator.

This decision was to alter the course of history: Einstein left Norfolk and sailed to America never to return to Europe. ...
FULL STORY: http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/features/insideout_einstein.shtml

Another Article With Additional Photos:
https://www.edp24.co.uk/lifestyle/h...rt-einstein-s-1930s-norfolk-sanctuary-1031792

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the same true for the US 'gauge'? I thought it might be to do with the same way the measure the diameter of wire
The measurement / standard system is the same - the only difference is the nomenclature (UK = 'bore'; USA = 'gauge').

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

maximus otter
That seems like an awful lot of trouble just to figure out what size your shotgun is. :dunno:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
That seems like an awful lot of trouble just to figure out what size your shotgun is. :dunno:
I recall reading years ago that this seemingly over-complicated system derived from methods used to standardize ball ammo used in earlier smoothbore weapons (e.g., muskets). Once rifled barrels arrived the bore determined the ammunition rather than the other way around.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I recall reading years ago that this seemingly over-complicated system derived from methods used to standardize ball ammo used in earlier smoothbore weapons (e.g., muskets). Once rifled barrels arrived the bore determined the ammunition rather than the other way around.
That reminded me of the programme I saw which featured the Chester Shot Tower.

Chester_shot_tower.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_Shot_Tower

Swifty

Reaction score
giphy.gif

(PS: This being England, that’s a 20-bore, not -gauge.)

;)

maximus otter
(Swifty .. under the advice of a recovering policeman)
  • This being England, that's a 20 'bore' and not a gauge .. to be pedantic ...

• ·
    To be pedantic .. I don't need a man to tell me about guns ..

You wouldn’t know what hit you
      ‍♀️

• ·
    Swifty
    At least I'd be going out in style .. so long as you don't miss 007
    (I'm old enough to be her Dad)

Last edited by a moderator:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Apparently is was nearby Roughton Einstein stayed at and not Cromer ..
What next... Einstein, shotguns and an association to Cromer in the same photograph...

It's not so much that I located same, rather than the fact I knew such a 'Cromer' thing absolutely must exist.

gettyimages-517286258-1024x1024_resize_8.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-152924_resize_56.jpg

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...ous-scientist-who-sought-news-photo/517286258

Does the thought occurr to anyone else... how much of Einstein's later work on mysteries of the entire universe was inspired by his experiences near Cromer?

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Does the thought occurr to anyone else... how much of Einstein's later work on mysteries of the entire universe was inspired by his experiences near Cromer?
You just knew we would find confirmation...

"He was brought to live in a small hut on Roughton Heath in Cromer.

(...)

Even though Einstein was in exile, he still used the time to gain a deeper understanding of what made the universe tick.

The work he was doing in a hut, isolated in Norfolk, was to become the cornerstone of science today".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/features/insideout_einstein.shtml

"Roughton Heath in Cromer"... is seemingy 3.7 miles south.

Close enough to label Cromer a "cornerstone of science today"... ?

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
You just knew we would find confirmation...

"He was brought to live in a small hut on Roughton Heath in Cromer.

(...)

The work he was doing in a hut, isolated in Norfolk, was to become the cornerstone of science today".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/features/insideout_einstein.shtml

"Roughton Heath in Cromer"... is seemingy 3.7 miles south.

Close enough to label Cromer a "cornerstone of science today"... ?
Yes, here's @Swifty and one of his "experiments"...

Annex-Lanchester-Elsa-Bride-of-Frankenstein-The_02.jpg

Swifty

Reaction score
I went to Cromer Museum today with a mate, she hadn't been before but she got stoned for the occasion before we walked in. We had a nice enough time (I don't toke these days btw) although they need to change the exhibits around a bit and the upstairs part of the fisherman's cottage recreation was closed to the public. It was free entry to the museum today though ( because of national heritage day I was told) and we got to ponder fossil mammoth remains and other cool stuff so I shouldn't complain.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Here's more background on Einstein's stay in the Cromer area ...

FULL STORY: http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/features/insideout_einstein.shtml

Another Article With Additional Photos:
https://www.edp24.co.uk/lifestyle/h...rt-einstein-s-1930s-norfolk-sanctuary-1031792
I always assumed that the title of the great Philip Glass's opera Einstein on the Beach was metaphorical. This knowledge has turned my world upside down, and to think it was Cromer just boggles the mind!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_on_the_Beach