Cromer!

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That reminded me of the programme I saw which featured the Chester Shot Tower.

View attachment 44703

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_Shot_Tower

My walk to work in Bristol from the station to the office (before the bastards made me redundant last year!!) used to take me past Britain's most modern shot tower - the Cheese Lane Shot Tower. Would make a great home for a 'quirky' TV detective...

And apart from the building material, concrete rather than red brick, I'm guessing there's little difference between them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_Lane_Shot_Tower

800px-Cheese_Lane_shot_tower,_from_west_(cropped).jpg

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I always assumed that the title of the great Philip Glass's opera Einstein on the Beach was metaphorical. This knowledge has turned my world upside down, and to think it was Cromer just boggles the mind!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_on_the_Beach

The 'On the Beach' reference is to the novel 'On the Beach' by Nevil Shute. I remember reading it when I was a kid.
It was about a nuclear war. Of course, Einstein had an involvement with the creation of the first nuclear bomb.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
The 'On the Beach' reference is to the novel 'On the Beach' by Nevil Shute. I remember reading it when I was a kid.
It was about a nuclear war. Of course, Einstein had an involvement with the creation of the first nuclear bomb.
But he also had cool mad scientist hair so let's let that one slide.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm going for more of a Phil Oakey look atm.

View attachment 44937
I thought you meant the 1980s-era Phil Oakey. Phew!

I'm pretty much rocking this look too. Up until the first lockdown last year I was going to the barbers every five or six weeks. When they closed I bought a set of clippers and do my own hair every three or four weeks. Fit the number 3 guard and buzz, buzz, buzz but I think I'll go to number 2 next time – going from 3/8in down to 1/4in. It's easy to look after and drying it after a shower takes, er, seconds!

Plus, with the amount of hair I have, I don't have too many options...

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I thought you meant the 1980s-era Phil Oakey. Phew!

I'm pretty much rocking this look too. Up until the first lockdown last year I was going to the barbers every five or six weeks. When they closed I bought a set of clippers and do my own hair every three or four weeks. Fit the number 3 guard and buzz, buzz, buzz but I think I'll go to number 2 next time – going from 3/8in down to 1/4in. It's easy to look after and drying it after a shower takes, er, seconds!

Plus, with the amount of hair I have, I don't have too many options...
I have cut my own hair for years, I've gone from grade 3, to grade 2, now I'm on grade 1, soon it will be grade 0 then a bic job when my hair recedes even more :(
Funnily enough back in 1990 I had hair very much like 80's era Oakey when I was growing it out for a ponytail.

3b5d71f6e53f3b17926347fa5d63fe3c.jpg

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I always assumed that the title of the great Philip Glass's opera Einstein on the Beach was metaphorical. This knowledge has turned my world upside down, and to think it was Cromer just boggles the mind!

Off topic warning! :omr:

Peter Shickele, the man behind the P.D.Q. Bach classical parodies, told a story on his radio show about his piece Einstein on the Fritz, which poked fun at Glass's repetitious - some would say monotonous - musical style. When he was picking up the sheet music from the publisher, who should he run into but Philip Glass himself. Glass asked what he was picking up, and Shickele, embarrassed, said "It's a, um, parody of, err, your work." Glass said "Let me see!" and Shickele handed it over. Glass looked it over for a while, then handed it back saying "Yeah, that's about right!"

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Off topic warning! :omr:

Peter Shickele, the man behind the P.D.Q. Bach classical parodies, told a story on his radio show about his piece Einstein on the Fritz, which poked fun at Glass's repetitious - some would say monotonous - musical style. When he was picking up the sheet music from the publisher, who should he run into but Philip Glass himself. Glass asked what he was picking up, and Shickele, embarrassed, said "It's a, um, parody of, err, your work." Glass said "Let me see!" and Shickele handed it over. Glass looked it over for a while, then handed it back saying "Yeah, that's about right!"
Sure, it’s repetitious - that’s the whole point of it. It’s the way the repetitions fit together & evolve that’s interesting.

Swifty

Reaction score
Someone I know standing in a bar in Cromer last night being serenaded by a (presumably?) transvestite. I haven't joined in with the comments because his mates are making "Oh .. I see you're back with *your ex* then?" comments which are funny but I don't like online bullies and she will read those :( .. good picture anyway though lol :) ..
acromertranny.jpg

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Someone I know standing in a bar in Cromer last night being serenaded by a (presumably?) transvestite. I haven't joined in with the comments because his mates are making "Oh .. I see you're back with *your ex* then?" comments which are funny but I don't like online bullies and she will read those :( .. good picture anyway though lol :) ..
View attachment 45158
I would say they were a drag queen rather than a transvestite.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
View attachment 45158

We know her.

Sloc_purple.jpg

Swifty

Reaction score
This isn't 'hold the front page' stuff but only one goat has been returned to graze on the goats on a slope project in Cromer .. and the locals are confused and worried .. which is how it should be ..

agoat2021 .jpg

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
goats on a slope

To be fair....it doesn't quite have the same cachet as 'Snakes on a Plane', does it?

Maybe the locals are confused because clearly, in the singular, it should be referred to as 'Goat on a Slope'.
"Coming round 'ere...with yer fake pluralisation....how dare you"

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
That is amazing! Why they climb up there is puzzling. To get away from a predator?

Edit: Oh, to lick salt out of the stones!

Swifty

Reaction score
This building is just over the road from Cromer Church. I was walking past it one evening, both sides of the door were painted blue except I spotted a bit that had flaked off exposing something gold and brown underneath ... so I scraped a bit more off with a card from my wallet. I did this again the next day then a manager looking woman walked out and told me off for vandalism so I've had to leave it alone ever since.

Someone else is clearly on the same page as me because I've just discovered the ghost glass has been uncovered, probably for the first time in at least 100 years :cool:

acromerghostglass001.jpg

edit :The book currently for sale in this below link was published here in 1900 now making this ghost writing at least 121 years old ..

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/Gems-Cromer-Collection-Artistic-Views-MUNDAY/19196389657/bd

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
This building is just over the road from Cromer Church. I was walking past it one evening, both sides of the door were painted blue except I spotted a bit that had flaked off exposing something gold and brown underneath ... so I scraped a bit more off with a card from my wallet. I did this again the next day then a manager looking woman walked out and told me off for vandalism so I've had to leave it alone ever since.

Someone else is clearly on the same page as me because I've just discovered the ghost glass has been uncovered, probably for the first time in at least 100 years :cool:

View attachment 45479

edit :The book currently for sale in this below link was published here in 1900 now making this ghost writing at least 121 years old ..

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/Gems-Cromer-Collection-Artistic-Views-MUNDAY/19196389657/bd
You discovered an old publisher's office! They probably named it 'Strand House' after the Strand Magazine, I'm guessing.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
now making this ghost writing at least 121 years old

Wonderful!

Circulating Libraries were very much a feature of seaside-resorts and watering-places, dating back to Regency times.

The ghost-signs you helped uncover may have been the latest of many. Do you know the age of the buildings? :)

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Wonderful!

Circulating Libraries were very much a feature of seaside-resorts and watering-places, dating back to Regency times.

The ghost-signs you helped uncover may have been the latest of many. Do you know the age of the buildings? :)
A search for 'The Strand' building, Cromer, brings up this site, noting it as a listed building, I'm sure @Swifty can confirm whether the street address makes it the same building. Listed as being constructed 1884-5.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1392265

Swifty

Reaction score

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Wonderful!

Ignore my previous post as it it not the correct building, it appears Church St dates from between 1837 to 1901, so some time between those dates would be when 'Strand House'was constructed.

https://historicengland.org.uk/serv...educational-images/church-street-cromer-10695

Swifty

Reaction score
Wonderful!
.... Do you know the age of the buildings? :)
Unspecified 1880 - 90 for The Strand Building.

We went into town today, I popped into the museum because a mate is one of the curators. He photocopied info for you which meant he had to go downstairs for a minute so he said "Hold the fort!" ... I've never been put in charge of a museum before even if it was only for about 60 seconds :cool: .. (I only had to explain opening times and prices to a couple of tourists)

This info was gathered by The Cromer Preservation Society which sadly no longer exists:

House/Structure: Strand House. Shops with flats above
Address/Location: 41-43 Church St.

Date: c. 1885-90

Architect/Builder: Unknown
Built for Charles Munday

This article also goes into minute details about all the materials used in construction but I don't want to send you to sleep. You owe Al a pint next time you're in Cromer. He wasn't even aware if had been fully restored, he was the first person I showed it to during the start of lockdown so he's going to have a new look at it on his lunch break today. I just hope that the glass art doesn't become more vulnerable to the sunlight now that the paint has been removed.
acromerghostglass002.jpg

acromerghostglass002.jpg

acromerghostglass003.jpg

acromerghostglass005.jpg

I'd always assumed the phrase 'Tit Bits' was a modern one, mostly seen in magazines aimed at women that we nowadays have renamed 'Life Hacks' .. the history of Tit Bits ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tit-Bits

Attachments

• acromerghostglass006.jpg
    acromerghostglass006.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: