Cromer!

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
**HOT CROMER GOSSIP**

A big HGV has just caused Cromer to a standstill because it's pulled down a load of the Christmas lights .. and the tree .. and a lamp post and something that was attached to a building causing some bricks to fall onto the pavement which narrowly missed a baby in a pram ..

"I’m assuming an accident has happened since so many police and ambulances have come past ! But the whole of Cromer is grid locked, traffic from town centre right up to the council and Lidl’s"

It all happens here you know.
The driver was in Bristol recently, too...

4928.jpg

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Feel good story of the day posted by someone yesterday on bookface ... and no, I wasn't that bloke, he's a legend whoever he is (and I bet he got laid when he got home) ..

"I took my daughter out for a meal tonight at Cromer Grill. She is 9 years old tomorrow!
1f60a.png
After a couple of tables around us spontaneously started singing happy birthday to Maisy, a very nice man out with his family, who I have never seen before in my life, got up and paid for our entire meal whilst we were in the ladies. Absolutely stunned. The tears haven’t stopped yet! If anybody knows this man, please say thank you. Thank you for saving this world."

What a dude.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Keep forgetting to mention, there was a lady on Blankety Blank last Saturday who met host Bradley Walsh judging a beauty contest in Cromer. She wasn't one of the beauty contestants, unless it was a glamorous grannies contest. Could they get local celebrity Swifty to judge the next one?

Swifty

Reaction score
Keep forgetting to mention, there was a lady on Blankety Blank last Saturday who met host Bradley Walsh judging a beauty contest in Cromer. She wasn't one of the beauty contestants, unless it was a glamorous grannies contest. Could they get local celebrity Swifty to judge the next one?
Bradley Walsh stated out his career on our pier. I'm not joking. He still returns to do promotional stuff stuff sometimes.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Bradley Walsh stated out his career on our pier. I'm not joking. He still returns to do promotional stuff stuff sometimes.
There you go! Good for him for remembering his comedy roots, he seems like a decent guy.
Of course he is, the Tardis doesn't let just anyone in....

AOTC.JPG.jpg

Um, never mind.....

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Here is @Swifty, judging said contest...

5084586-6281015-image-a-38_1539680645891.jpg

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Didn't I read somewhere that often these schemes to prevent erosion in one place usually increase erosion in another place?
One of the ones I noticed recently that appears to have been quite successful (dunno if it was on the FTMB or not) involved placing tonnes and tonnes of sand on a beach area to act as a more natural defence against erosion. What has happened is that, as predicted, the majority of the sand has now worked it's way further out from the beach forming a 'shelf' which lessens the force of the waves.

Swifty

Reaction score
In 1901, author of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries Sir Arthur Conan Doyle came to North Norfolk to recuperate from a fever he’d caught in South Africa. While here, he and his companion were asked to dine at Cromer hall by Benjamin Bond Cabbell. During dinner Cabbell told them the story of his ancestor, Richard Cabbell, who had been killed by a devilish dog. Richard Cabbell had pursued and stabbed his wife, who he thought was being unfaithful but while committing the crime the woman’s faithful dog attacked him and tore out his throat. The ghost of the dog was said to haunt each new generation of the Cabbell family. Conan Doyle’s imagination was captivated by this story and he used it to create one of his most famous Sherlock Holmes books, ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles.’
It is clear that Richard Cabbell became the model for the evil Hugo Baskerville, and interestingly the name of the coachman who drove Conan Doyle to Cromer Hall was apparently Baskerville.

Image: Cromer Hall taken between 1890 and 1914.

acromerhall002.jpg

I've met the current generation of Cabbells a few times and they're very friendly and down to Earth. Walking through the front door, you almost expect to see Morticia Addams but we were met by Lady Cabbell who was actually enthusiastic about us doing a ghost invest there but admitted that the place wasn't haunted. So we didn't do it.

Trevp666

Reaction score
She's got an honest face.
Yeah, well, that's how they sucker you in! Those 'honest face' ones are the ones you really need to watch.

Trevp666

Reaction score
No..........Cromartie
1637601628735.png

Trevp666

Reaction score
It can't possibly be a native Cromeronian - it appears to have the correct number of fingers and toes (5 per hand and foot)

CharmerKamelion

Who knows where it will end?
Reaction score
It can't possibly be a native Cromeronian - it appears to have the correct number of fingers and toes (5 per hand and foot)
Yes, it does indeed seem to have the correct number of everything ... as far as we can see.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The story of how a world-famous genius ended up hiding under armed guard in a log cabin on a remote heath has been told in a new book.
Albert Einstein found sanctuary in the cabin on Roughton Heath, near Cromer, Norfolk, for three weeks in 1933 after fleeing the Nazis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-59401006

CharmerKamelion

Who knows where it will end?
Reaction score
Fascinating story, Victory. That hut looks like a proper little home-from-home. And Einstein had his own little herd of goats!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Here's a thought: Einstein won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1921. In 1933 he spent three months living near Cromer, then never won another Nobel Prize as long as he lived!

Proof positive - if it were needed - of Cromer's pernicious effect on the human mind.

maximus otter

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
The story of how a world-famous genius ended up hiding under armed guard in a log cabin on a remote heath has been told in a new book.
Albert Einstein found sanctuary in the cabin on Roughton Heath, near Cromer, Norfolk, for three weeks in 1933 after fleeing the Nazis.

However, his routine on The General Theory of Relativity didn’t go down all that well at the end of the pier.

Swifty

Reaction score

Bloody tourists. :mad:

Serial killer Joanna Dennehy also visited us a while back then went on a killing spree driving out of Cromer so Max might have a point. She could have stabbed my old flatmate at the Roman Camp garage (she was caught on camera there) but he'd thrown a sickie that day. If he hadn't, I would have probably been hanging out with him there .. I used to walk on the road she'd selected to kill random blokes on that day.

Last edited: