• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crop Circles

Now if theres nothing spooky afoot with these crop circles how come you cant buy circle kits in the shops? It would be a new craze, create elegant patterns that will amaze you nieghbours! Nah, Im still a firm believer in many of them being created by off-world or multi-dimensional agencies that place them here as time related signals to higher planed authorities.

Now if theres nothing spooky afoot with these crop circles how come you cant buy circle kits in the shops? It would be a new craze, create elegant patterns that will amaze you nieghbours!

Probably because [people] making them is an act of trespass / criminal damage & many farmers are not too pleased when they appear in their field of crop. Some used to do quite nicely by charging admission to go & see them but I don't know if this still happens.

Plenty of ropes and planks of wood for sale at B&Q.

Plenty of ropes and planks of wood for sale at B&Q.

No thanks mate, I`ll wait for those small glowing orbs. The ones that have been seen in daylight dancing over fields which later develop patterns.

This is an interesting video about an all night surveillance from the top of Knap hill in Wiltshire. It's in 4 parts & it's worth seeing all 4. The cameraman goes on a bit about the gear involved but stick with it.

Weirdness is involved & a formation is found in the field below them. They have video & stills to show there is a 1¾ hr period in which it formed in which there was nothing bright enough to be picked up - apart from one big flash...

When there's enough light they see it's a fantastic and enormous formation consisting of around 150 circles. It's pretty hard to believe a team of people could make this in the time slot in complete darkness without being picked up on night vision cam.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why do I keep getting the bleedin' code showing as well as the video?

The flash is a glitch in the recording, and it looks as if there is enough light to see by even assuming the circle makers didn't have the same night vision equipment that the believers did. Also it's not the most complex formation ever, so shouldn't have taken too many hours. And here's the clincher: the man says he was jumping for joy, "And I still am" - but he's standing with both feet on the ground for the whole clip! Obviously a sham!

The flash is a glitch in the recording, and it looks as if there is enough light to see by even assuming the circle makers didn't have the same night vision equipment that the believers did. Also it's not the most complex formation ever, so shouldn't have taken too many hours. And here's the clincher: the man says he was jumping for joy, "And I still am" - but he's standing with both feet on the ground for the whole clip! Obviously a sham!

Of course the video could be a load of bollocks they've made up, but let's for a moment assume they're genuine:

i think you're being a little dismissive - The flash was witnessed by the 3 participants, not just captured on video - it lit up everything around. According to the vid the formation was made in a 1¾ hour window, not as you put it "too many hours". They actually think it was made in a matter of minutes but within that window, although they don't have any proof of this. OK it's not THE most complex ever, but it's complex enough, and stretched 100 x 50 yards. Somebody calculated the area to be around 22 acres of flattened crop. That's big. You'd have to go some to make a complex pattern nicely formed & geometrically laid out in the time given.

They could of course be part of the team that made it. If so I doff my cap to them. I think it's a good one. Keeps the intrigue going...

Why have the farmers never gained information over the last 80 years or so as to who these rope and wood pranksters are?

Why have the police taken no action to stop them, look at the damage to crops. (We could slip here into cattle mutilations, yes they have occurred within the UK too and I have researched this and got my hands muddy doing it)

Why do they (the creators of these formations) "crop" up again and again at similar locations within the UK and no-one ever reports sightings of odd looking groups. C`mon, if I was a farmer fed up with it I would take measures that were designed to trap people who made them.

Its stupidity to think that a small group of men/women could, in darkness successfully create those designs whilst keeping themselves covert and then leave the area with no trace of their presence.

In recent released documents from WW2 there are reports of concern about crop patterns within the UK. It was believed that they were secret signals from the nazis to their agents in the UK.

Come on folks! In the 90s they made the news here in the UK and a "report" was made. The reporters used prime time TV to show a primitive crop formation that contained Wicca symbolism. And then the report ended with all crop formations being shown as the designs of humans involved in cults.

Grow up folks!

Of course the video could be a load of bollocks they've made up, but let's for a moment assume they're genuine:

i think you're being a little dismissive - The flash was witnessed by the 3 participants, not just captured on video - it lit up everything around. According to the vid the formation was made in a 1¾ hour window, not as you put it "too many hours". They actually think it was made in a matter of minutes but within that window, although they don't have any proof of this. OK it's not THE most complex ever, but it's complex enough, and stretched 100 x 50 yards. Somebody calculated the area to be around 22 acres of flattened crop. That's big. You'd have to go some to make a complex pattern nicely formed & geometrically laid out in the time given.

They could of course be part of the team that made it. If so I doff my cap to them. I think it's a good one. Keeps the intrigue going...

I probably am being dismissive, but I hope I'm not being petty. To explain, I saw a documentary back in the 90s when these crop artworks took off in popularity, and they interviewed the circle makers and believers in paranormal explanations alike. It ended with a self-proclaimed scientist, who had said he thought the circles were the results of a special vortex, being brought to examine a new one that had appeared overnight. He told them that it was a classic case of his theory in action, totally authentic. Then the doc makers brought out the circle makers to explain they had made it and he was talking nonsense. The poor man looked like a complete idiot, there was nothing he could say. It was excruciatingly embarrassing viewing. So that's why I have my doubts.

I probably am being dismissive, but I hope I'm not being petty. To explain, I saw a documentary back in the 90s when these crop artworks took off in popularity, and they interviewed the circle makers and believers in paranormal explanations alike. It ended with a self-proclaimed scientist, who had said he thought the circles were the results of a special vortex, being brought to examine a new one that had appeared overnight. He told them that it was a classic case of his theory in action, totally authentic. Then the doc makers brought out the circle makers to explain they had made it and he was talking nonsense. The poor man looked like a complete idiot, there was nothing he could say. It was excruciatingly embarrassing viewing. So that's why I have my doubts.

That sounds like Terence Meaden who was I think a meteorologist, & had some sort of 'vortex theory' around the early 90s. I don't think many people bought it. Of course, some, maybe most, formations are made by stomping, but does that mean they all are?

The more I see & read about this particular incident [it's 2.2 acres, not 22 as I said previously], the more I'm veering towards a non-human cause, or at least, not people with rollers & stomp boards. There seems more to it.

I'd not heard of it before this week, but it seems to have unleashed a shitstorm in the crop circle world at the time, with the 3 participants who supposedly witnessed it being subjected to slander, defamation & abuse on various forums.

These are just some of the later occurrences:

Someone came forward & claimed his team made it but his story doesn't hang together. He's found to have possible links to British military. After the formation appears, the military take a very keen interest with multiple helicopter visits, sometimes coming extremely low & hovering a long time, even when there's people in the field, some start to feel unwell, a radiation detector buzzes a high level warning. There's video of these occurrences. This happened in an area apparently well used by the military & helicopters are not uncommon, but after the formation military activity was extraordinary.

People in hazmat type suits arrive & take samples from the field, an investigator is warned off going to look at it by a non uniformed man due to an unspecified hazard. He tells the investigator there will be a military exercise later in the morning. Sure enough helicopters turn up. He goes into the field anyway, is buzzed by the choppers, feels ill etc.

The formation is in an undulating field & when viewed from above, the circles appear circular, but when measured on the ground many of the circles on sloping ground are in fact elliptical. If the makers were at ground level, they've taken the curvature of the ground into account so that the circles appear circular when viewed from above. Pretty clever.

For anyone interested there's a further video about it here. It's 77 mins long, goes a bit new agey at the end but gives a good overview of the story & features many of the characters involved.

For anyone REALLY interested, there's a lengthy text interview here featuring the investigator mentioned above, who also features in the linked video. It's extremely long & the formatting is dodgy but goes into great depth about the incident, people involved, & aftermath. Finishes with his speculations as to what's going on. Likely military testing of directed energy beams, possibly microwave, possibly originating from satellite, is his theory, with the ideal cover story of people stomping, aliens, earth energy etc, take your pick which one you believe.

The above are just a few details, don't want to bore everyone. There's much more should you wish to delve into the rabbit hole.

Could be badgers doing it to annoy farmers.
There's much more should you wish to delve into the rabbit hole.
Or badger sett.
I remember that documentary where the chap was embarrassed by a fairly deliberate scheme by the production team. I felt sorry for him, but on the other hand, I thought he had an arrogance about his point of view and had it coming. But, in FT328, was Jenny Randles reviving the vortex theory in the culmination of her examination of the Alan Godfrey case? It seemed to fall together rather neatly, I thought.

I'm surprised that no enterprising hippys have made crop circle corn dollies yet ..

The above are just a few details, don't want to bore everyone. There's much more should you wish to delve into the rabbit hole.

Well, that's just it, there will be more details but they will largely be both sides trolling each other with conspiracy theories, as seems to be the way with too much weirdness investigation these days. A lot of the time it's best to back away and leave them to it.

Well, that's just it, there will be more details but they will largely be both sides trolling each other with conspiracy theories, as seems to be the way with too much weirdness investigation these days. A lot of the time it's best to back away and leave them to it.

You're talking in general terms. I'm talking about this specific incident. I was searching for another video which I never found but came across this event, of which I was unaware, in the process. The videos & further stuff I've read surprisingly do seem to point to a construction method other than stomping. I've got a fair degree of skepticism but this one has really got me wondering.

You've got to bear in mind that all the people involved in studying the phenomenon are by definition amateurs in that they aren't funded to do it. The all-night vigil was pretty comprehensive with multiple cameras of different types running constantly. He didn't capture the event but could pin it down to a time window, and the night vision cameras didn't pick up any people in the field although it could apparently pick up the light of an mp3 player of a witness in a car beyond the field.

I'm getting the impression you haven't actually watched the video and have made up your mind there's nothing to see here. No amount of me writing crap is going to affect your opinion but it seems a very un-Fortean attitude to dismiss something without finding out a little more about it.

I just don't have the inclination anymore, sorry. It seems a very insular world where the participants are all wrapped up in themselves and I can't see a way in that makes any sense.

Judging by their account, the couple did not expect the cameraman to be in that vantage point. So that implies that two separate "groups" (for the sake of argument we'll consider the lone cameraman to be a group by himself) independently decide to stake out a field, which then just happens to have quite a complex glyph (can we still call them glyphs?) appear in it that same night. One group getting the right time/right place combo would seem unlikely; for two groups to do so independently strains my credulity somewhat.

Judging by their account, the couple did not expect the cameraman to be in that vantage point. So that implies that two separate "groups" (for the sake of argument we'll consider the lone cameraman to be a group by himself) independently decide to stake out a field, which then just happens to have quite a complex glyph (can we still call them glyphs?) appear in it that same night. One group getting the right time/right place combo would seem unlikely; for two groups to do so independently strains my credulity somewhat.

According to their account that's exactly what happened. Coincidence or planned.... Would the story gain any more credence for you if they'd all gone together? Seems a minor quibble to me.

It seems there's quite a lot of these night vigils trying to spot something in the growing season. Likely nothing happens in 99.9% of cases. It's not beyond the realms that the 3 could have met unplanned on the top of the hill. If you were going to fake a video, why would you make this part of the story? Why not have the 3 of them there together from the off? Would it make any difference to the tale?

Someone or something made the thing. Either they were involved or they weren't. It's possible the 3 participants were part of the team & the whole thing a hoax. It's impossible to tell for certain but they seem genuine. The cameraman is in fact a UFO buff hoping to catch something & no one seriously seems to be doubting his footage. Or at least he has an answer for doubters. The other 2 were croppies.

The story gets more interesting though if you follow it up. Why does someone else then claim his team made it? His timings & details don't work though. There is an independent witness parked in a car who can corroborate some details And why the extraordinary military interest? 3 helicopters hovering for a long time on at least 2 occasions - these things aren't cheap to fly & I can't see the military expending that much effort looking at a crop circle they know is made by stomping - why would they?

Anyway, I've blathered on enough for now.

And why the extraordinary military interest? 3 helicopters hovering for a long time on at least 2 occasions - these things aren't cheap to fly & I can't see the military expending that much effort looking at a crop circle they know is made by stomping - why would they?
They wouldn't. There used to be a great deal of formal interest in the phenomenon associated with the formations. There may well still be but it has not been as reported. I've seen footage of a chopper hovering 3 metres above a formation with a very obvious ball of light playing cat and mouse with it. It was in the field, the chopper honed down on it and it then blinked out and reappeared in an instant behind the chopper's tail rotor. The chopper reversed until it was nose to nose again, so to speak. Again it blinked out and then the chopper sailed away across the field back to battalion. Very curious circumstances.

They wouldn't. There used to be a great deal of formal interest in the phenomenon associated with the formations. There may well still be but it has not been as reported. I've seen footage of a chopper hovering 3 metres above a formation with a very obvious ball of light playing cat and mouse with it. It was in the field, the chopper honed down on it and it then blinked out and reappeared in an instant behind the chopper's tail rotor. The chopper reversed until it was nose to nose again, so to speak. Again it blinked out and then the chopper sailed away across the field back to battalion. Very curious circumstances.

Interesting. Don't suppose you can find it again can you?

The vid I was searching for which I mentioned previously was taken as I recall by a Dutch tourist in the early 90s. He filmed a small, maybe football, sized object moving about just above crop height. He filmed it for a maybe a minute, it then moved off picking up speed & disappeared over the hedge into the next field & shot off & upwards. In that field was a farmer harvesting the crop in a combine. The farmer witnessed the ball as it went over his cab as well. This was in the days before readily available CGI software.

Couldn't find the vid on uchoob though.

This one is a shite focus, but that bol was there - you can't really see it in the crap upload tho. I've got the dvd, so I'll try to zoom it up when I get a spare hour from parenting and being an employee to Sony the thing for the benfit of all mankindness.

upload_2015-6-6_0-46-17.png

Oops, here ya go.

a Dutch tourist
Not this guy by any chance was it? I like Bert's style. And Bert's seen them those bols. He saw only one really ball of light. It floated across his field of vision and went behind a shed and that was it. It never came out the other side. Und Zo...

Also some nice bass in the outro :D

Not this guy by any chance was it? I like Bert's style. And Bert's seen them those bols. He saw only one really ball of light. It floated across his field of vision and went behind a shed and that was it. It never came out the other side. Und Zo...

Also some nice bass in the outro :D

I don't know - I didn't see the filmer, just the vid. Your helicopter / bol vid was unfortunately too low res for me to see the bol. If you can sharpen it up I'd be fascinated.

I'll try to upload a camera shot of the dvd version onto my youtube account and post it. It was a very startling extra when first I viewed it. Give me a day or two.

I'll try to upload a camera shot of the dvd version onto my youtube account and post it. It was a very startling extra when first I viewed it. Give me a day or two.

Great stuff.

I was interested in them probably early 90s for a few years when they started to get more elaborate, been to see a few, then gradually over the years what with circlemakers, disinformation, bullshit, I came to the conclusion that they were all made by rollers, stomp boards etc & they dropped off my radar a bit. I knew they were still happening but I didn't pay that much attention other than seeing them as fantastic works of guerilla art.

This past week has really piqued my interest again.

If my mind serves me well I think I can recall an interview with Reg Presley on radio nottingham about his interest and research into UFOs. At some point the question crop circles came up and Reg recounted an interesting story.

He was sat with a farmer overlooking some fields where there had been alot of crop circle activity. Reg pointed out the most recent one, a few fields ahead of them and asked the farmer about it. The farmer shuck his head and then asked Reg to watch a flock of ducks flying along in a triangular formation. As the birds passed high over the crop circle they all broke formation and flew around it before returning to their original positions in flight.

To keep this thread going, here's a couple of short vids of bols.

The first I think is the one I was looking for earlier in the thread, where the tractor driver in the next field sees the bol which passes over his cab.

One
Two

Back