• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crop Circles

Is this the same Terrence Meaden who claimed on a Channel 4 documentary that he could tell a genuine circle from a man-made one? Then confirmed a man-made one to be genuine - on camera - because it had all the characteristics of a genuine circle? The same Terrence Meaden who then got all cross when confronted with the hoaxers who made it, claiming they were wasting researchers' time?
I saw that program. Really great, thought he was going to self destruct.

The guy that made this video used to make crop circles - several of which were claimed as 'genuine' by some of the self-proclaimed 'researchers'. He was eventually arrested, charged and fined in 2000. Used to chat with him on the CCC discussion forum before the admin killed it. He's an intense character. Has a couple of channels on Youtube - Matt Williams / CirclemakersTV. He does beautiful work with his drone.

Castle Hill, Mere, Wilts June 7th

Anybody got a personal favourite? I've always gotten a strong positive feeling from looking at this one. Something very pure and wholesome about the geometric harmony.

Great Shelford, Cambridgeshire 25th July, 2001
31-Great-Shelford-Angel-Cambridgeshire-25-07-01-Wheat-35mm-1.jpg

Image Source: http://thesiriusletters.com/crop-circle-gallery/

This video seems to show crop circles being made by flying shiny things.

I find it hard to believe those flying shiny things are controlled by blokes with beards, rope and boards.

The interesting bit starts at 13 seconds into the vid ... for the impatient among us.

And I absolutely love this one ... I find it hard to believe these were made by blokes with rope and boards.

I like to believe that something out there in space was answering Carl Sagans message.

This video seems to show crop circles being made by flying shiny things.

I find it hard to believe those flying shiny things are controlled by blokes with beards, rope and boards.

The interesting bit starts at 13 seconds into the vid ... for the impatient among us.

Unfortunately that particuar footage has been exposed as made with AVID computer video editing software by John Wabe (alias 'John Wayleigh')- he worked for a film editing studio in Bristol in 1996

Unfortunately that particuar footage has been exposed as made with AVID computer video editing software by John Wabe (alias 'John Wayleigh')- he worked for a film editing studio in Bristol in 1996

OK thanks any comment on the second video I posted or was that John just mucking around as well.

I haven't lived in the UK for ages so I don't follow this sort of thing to the degree I used to and am only commenting today as I saw the thread here.

Here's an interesting report sent in and posted up on the Rumours section of CCC - usually the dumping ground for botched attempts.

http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2016/rumours2016.html
I have a photo to send so I thought I'd send it with the info in an email - rather than use the response form.
Crop-Circle234567891.jpg

The location is here: http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=352765&Y=387963&A=Y&Z=110

Date/Time .... Thursday 7th July ... about 2:00am
Story: Was woken in the early hours - it was dark - there was a loud noise outside that woke me - got up - looked out of the window. I am on the first floor - outside is a garden - then a road - then a large field with a crop - not sure which crop - just turning brown.

The noise was like a huge leaf-blower ... very loud - it woke me. There was also flashing orange lights. I was half asleep and assumed it was council vans/trucks ... felt annoyed that they were blowing leaves or cutting grass at this time of night. Closed the window to insulate the noise ... pulled the blind .. went back to bed and sleep.

It was the next morning when I was looking out of the window at breakfast that I noticed part of a crop circle in the field opposite - it definitely wasn't there the day before as I always sit there and look out. There appears to be at least 2 sets of concentric circles. The only access to the field is from the far end.

I maybe was mistaken about the lights being council vehicles .. or it may have been a coincidence. Maybe they were not vehicles at all. I really don't know - I was half asleep and feeling annoyed. But it was very loud and the next day there was were circles.

The frustrating thing is that it's not easy to see them all - they are hidden by trees - but at ground level they are hidden by the hedge. It needs a drone to see properly.

Just wanted to report it ...

Chris Pearson

Is this the same Terrence Meaden who claimed on a Channel 4 documentary that he could tell a genuine circle from a man-made one? Then confirmed a man-made one to be genuine - on camera - because it had all the characteristics of a genuine circle? The same Terrence Meaden who then got all cross when confronted with the hoaxers who made it, claiming they were wasting researchers' time?

Well the idiot completely missed the point didn't he? The point being that if he can't tell the difference between a real one (if they exist at all) and a hoaxed circle, he should just pack it in.

That was all back in 1991, so how is he getting on now with the research? I expect in the past 25 years there have been loads of night-vision recordings now of circles developing without human intervention - or perhaps not...
That was a classic television moment! At least Meaden had the good grace to exist the scene as soon as he able. Andrews, however, is a different story.

I had forgotten I started this thread all those years ago.........:D
so what's the latest on those circles the Brits are famous for.......?

Of course, if I was an extraterrestrial and wanted a cute pic to send back to the relatives then some of those would be just the job - ideally I'd transport my co-pilot down so it could be in the picture. Or maybe stick the ol' saucer on remote and get me a selfie.

Just curious.......but is there anyone on the forum here who thinks the crop circles (or at least some...) are actually from an unknown alien intelligence? And if so why do you believe this?

I don't think for a moment there's an 'extra-terrestrial' intelligence at work, and I'm generally sceptical about ghosts and spirits, but people have been experiencing unusual 'creatures' since early times and people still claim to. I'd be open to the idea (only open to, mind, but with considerable reservations) that some of those early, simple, circular crop markings were connected to whatever intelligences some of our species interpret as nature sprites.

You may all proceed with the guffaws.

I don't think there's any extraterrestrial involvement - unless some evidence crops [!] up - but the military are known to take a keen interest in some formations & there's also the 'balls of light' phenomenon which have been captured on video occasionally.

Whether they're anything to do with anything is another question..

I can remember being enthralled by the phenomenon when it first arrived and received a lot of coverage on daytime television. Early 1980s? Daytime Television was then largely restricted to Crossroads and Pebble Milll at One.

I can remember Meadon and other Experts (read Enthusiasts?) crouching in fresh crop-circles to record anomolous sounds and magnetic fields. Bliss was it . . . nearly.

I still have a couple of the earlier volumes on the subject - snagged up when it had passed its peak and gone into the remainder-shops, tbh.

The Extraterrestrial hypothesis always sounded like bobbins and some of the formations are obvious jokes. I have always been unimpressed, however, by the circle-claimants, whose demonstrations seem to fall a long way short of the state-of-the-art productions. :confused:

Not a believer in any otherwordly authorship, but still enthralled by the craftsmanship of the best of them. I had quite an expansive stroll through the research many years back and there are some astonishing hidden geometries built into the designs. There are some very simple techniques used to build what seem to the casual observer to be nigh on impossible designs.

My first post as a member of this website was on this thread many years ago, and this Milk Hill glyph from '01 was part of that report. Just a few statistics to blow your mind, courtesy of Team Satan's 2001 yearly wrap:
17 August 2001: Awe inspiring, jaw dropping, mind warping, incomprehensible, bloody huge, are a few phrases that come to mind when viewing this years "finale" formation which was discovered on top of Milk Hill in Wiltshire above the White Horse on 13th August. It's difficult to take on board the sheer scale and complexity of this formation it spans ten tram lines and if you walked from one side of the formation to the other you would have covered approaching 1500ft! Compare that to the average diameter of formations this year which is approx 200ft. There are over 400 circles incorporated into the design a record amount dwarfing all previous formation. The formation has already been variously described as "Utterly AWESOME" by american radio talk show host Jeff Rense, as the "greatest formation to form in the entire world" by crop circle researcher Stuart Dike, as "the mother and father of all crop circles" by crop circle researcher Charles Mallett, as "the pinnacle, the very epitome of perfection, the paragon of all circles" by Mark Fussell from the crop circle connector website, who goes on to say "there are not enough words in the English vocabulary to describe how amazing this crop circle is". Everyone is saying this feat is beyond human ability. This is an unprecedented formation and definitely one for the history books and I don't think it's an overstatement to describe it as truly paradigm shifting. You can view some great aerial footage of the formation at the cropcircleconnector.com.

detailjulia6.jpg
Here's something to ponder, if this formation was man made allowing for time to get into and out of the field under cover of darkness the construction time left should be around four hours. Given that there are over 400 circles some of which span approx 70ft in diameter that would mean that one of those circles would need to be created every 30 seconds and that's not even allowing any time for the surveying, purely flattening, this formation pushes the envelope and that's a MASSIVE understatement... my brain hurts!

To give you some idea of the scale of the formation pictured right is an enlarged detail of the above photo showing just the center of the formation, we've ringed the area to indicate where someone is standing, you can barely see them, now can you see how massive the formation is!!!
http://www.circlemakers.org/totc2001.html
Photo credit: Steve Alexander.

milk-hill-crop-circle-1.jpg

Image source: http://www.inspiegabile.com/gallery/fullsize/milk-hill-crop-circle-1.jpg

Just because this is one of the largest in terms of both size and complexity, doesn't mean it is the best in terms of geometric layering. Many simple designs contain hidden geometries which may or may not have been part of the imaginative endeavour of the artists involved. That's where much of the attraction still lies for me.

Take a look at the video "Crop Circles: Quest For Truth", which is available on Youtube. At about half an hour in they get into the geometries. After that the film maker shifts it into the dodgy science of BLT and the various philosophical gushforth, but the geometries are made very evident early on. Listen to John Martineau and John Michel (RIP) and Andreas Muller. Those guys have insights to share that can open up the designs in layman's terms.

I think this is great art. Once you discount the claims of instantaneous appearances, which IMO are all lies and supposition, and speculative associations with trilling (birds / insects), bent nodes (phototropism) and balls of light (still an edge of mystery to those), the formations become even more fascinating because within the creation of the designs resides all the hallmarks of sacred art ~ anonymous authorship; temporary materialisation; a highly specified medium; layers of depth and meaning which is often only realised by deeper contemplation and close measurement; not to mention the myriad responses they engender from the masses of observers they've had over the years. They continue to move people in a very special way. Perhaps not as many as they used thanks to the many recent poor designs of amateurs and pranksters, but the hand of authenticity still shows itself every now and then. I'll continue to post those I find significant despite the mockery that is the only response available to those ignorant of the formations' deeper qualities. Check 'em out.

Last edited:
Circle Info

I was looking for more info than that. I have been to the circlemakers site and even they seem impressed with some of the circles and claim they didn't do many of the elaborate ones.
So, do we have several main groups of talented artists running around England in the middle of the night? I find it hard to believe that there aren't reports in the local papers of people being busted or at least seen in conjunction with some of these huge circles. Why have none of the hoaxers ever come forward other than those two sorry old men(Doug and Dave) yrs ago?
And still no specific data on how they are making them. Obviously they are not using planks of wood and rope only like the old men. How does one create a geometrically perfect design of that size in the dark with no mistakes...? I am looking for the actual method here and no I don;t intend to make some in the States if I learn the technique. ;)

'Information..we want information.'

Rob Irving: Team Satan
single.gif

beginners.gif

Compiled with the assistance of Fe3

"Our earth is a very beautiful planet and deserves and needs all the help it can get - especially in these critical years of the countdown." S. J. Trousdale

dandd.jpg
The nocturnal pastime of circle making was made popular by the work of two Hampshire-based artists, Doug Bower and Dave Chorley. For over 12 years their simple circle sets attracted the interest of scientists world-wide. During this time other artists began to emulate them, eventually superseding them, and continued a chain reaction - mutating from the UFO lore from which it still suckles and, in turn, nourishes - to become what is arguably the most mysterious 'tactile- paranormal' phenomenon this century. In 1991, Doug & Dave's claim to original authorship created an atmosphere well known to theological sociologists; that discomfirmation can lead to strengthened belief. Consistent with previous millenial activity, the religious use of pseudo science to plot our destiny has reached another high... the circles have become signs and portents of our time.

Although the circles have appeared worldwide in wheat, oats, spinach, grass, peas, rice, linseed, maize, oil-seed rape, sunflowers, mustard, barley, sugar-beet, rye, and a multitude of other crops, most cereal artists prefer to concentrate upon just three. These are grown and harvested in a smooth, overlapping progression; oil-seed rape in April through May, barley throughout May and June, and wheat from June until early September. In this guide we will give you all the information you will need to work with these plants, and eventually, with a little practice, produce genuine, dowsable, scientifically proven un-hoaxable circles patterns.

Equipment
The tools you will need are relatively unsophisticated; a 30 metre surveyors tape - this is preferable to string which tends to tangle easily... a 1-2 metre board or plank with a rope attached to each end to form a loop - this is known as a stalk-stomper... dowsing rods - these should be made of copper, and purchased from an expensive new age shop, or, in an emergency, a couple of bent coat-hangers will do... and a plastic garden roller (available from reputable garden centres, or, if only for occasional use, these may be rented from tool-hire shops for about £2 a night). A luminous watch is also useful as a summer night can be surprisingly brief.

Preparation

1. Choose location depending upon visibility. A field rising up from the road, or a natural amphitheatre in full view of the road, make perfect circles sites.
  2. Dowse potential location to establish earth energies. If a formation is located on a powerful ley-line this will satisfy later tests for genuineness, and aid in curative effects, healings, orgone accumulation, angelic visions, benign alien abduction experiences, and feelings of general well-being. WARNING - If the formation is situated contra-directionally to the flow of energy, this may result in the opposite effects; headaches, nausea, temporary limb-paralysis, aching joints, mental illness, deadly-orgone-radiation (DOR) exposure, demonic visions, negative abduction scenarios (memory loss, implant scarring, sore or bleeding anii, navels, and genitals, etc), and general disillusionment. With no condonement by the authors, this may be of interest to satanists.
  3. Plan design to incorporate earth energies. Some of you may decide to work from a diagram, while others may wish to rely upon spontaniety... this is purely a matter of preference. Remember that a diagram may not be easily read in total darkness - it is important not to use a torch as this may be spotted by nearby crop watchers.
  4. Once location and design have been decided, retire to a local pub and wait for darkness. If the location is in a well known circles-prone area you may be able to pick up useful intelligence on the plans of the crop watchers (cerealogists). These cerealogists are often very public about their intentions, freely giving information on their own view-points, hide-outs, equipment (whether or not they have access to infra-red image intensifiers, CB radio operating channels, etc. They often even divulge where they are putting their own circles, which may prove useful. It is not advisable to actually talk to these people as inwardly- spiralling arguments invariably develop which will eat into the time you have allotted to real circle-making. This might lead to a smaller event, therefore defeating the object of your argument.

The Drop Off
After ensuring that you haven't been followed from the pub, drive to the field and unload the roller and stalk-stomper (the measuring tape can be carried in a pocket or rucksack). Be careful to leave the equipment in a place easily recognisable in darkness - near a gate or large bush, for instance. Then drive to a sensible place and park. It is worth remembering that an empty vehicle may arouse suspicion if it's left in a lay-by or farm track, or lazily by the side of the field. Our own advice is to park in the nearest village close to other vehicles. Then, quietly and invisibly walk back to the field.

Creating the Formation
You will have already decided in your planning where in the field to start your formation. Move to this point using the relevant tram, or tractor line. REMEMBER - Criminal damage is an offence! Do not move through a field without using the tram-lines.

Ritual
Before starting, a simple ritual should be performed. Whilst not obligatory, this ritual will assist in causing minimal damage to individual stalks while the crop is being laid. Using a long, curved, razor-sharp blade, cut seven single stalks for every circle planned for the formation. Place each one between thumb and forefinger and stroke until the stem starts to bend. When the stems are bent at a right angle about two inches from their base, place each sheaf at the centre of each proposed circle. If this service is not performed, a greater ratio of breakage will occur. Cerealogists who find a sheaf of sharply cut stems within the finished formation tend to automatically see this as a sign of genuineness*.

*There is a belief amongst certain circle-makers that fashioning these stems into a human form, then placing it into the final grapeshot, will ensure future circles growth.

Photo by Rob Irving: Doug and Dave in Doug's studio.
http://www.circlemakers.org/guide.html
[ page one of three ]

Page 2
:evil:
Page 3

Just curious.......but is there anyone on the forum here who thinks the crop circles (or at least some...) are actually from an unknown alien intelligence? And if so why do you believe this?

I don't rule out the possibility that some crop circles are not man made.

I don't rule out the possibility that there are extra-terrestrials.

Therefore I accept the extremely remote possibility that some crop circles are the result of an alien intelligence.

But, if some crop circles are not man made, then I think it is more likely they occur due to natural forces which science has not yet codified.

'Scientific' crop circle research?
:huh:

I get the shrug. This report cites a Prof Richard Taylor, who who lectures in art, physics and psychology at the University of Oregon in the United States. Quite a blend of disciplines there. that is one of the things the formations have done is draw together many researchers from a variety of disciplines to get their own take on what it's all about. Even though he doesn't seem to be conducting any funded research himself (I haven't examined his backstory) he does recognise the possibilities for primary research.

eg
"There is a huge amount of rigorous fundamental science that could be got out of this research, but many scientists are put off getting into crop circles because they are considered a crazy thing," Professor Taylor said.

Most of us can't paint like Leonardo da Vinci, but we don't think the Mona Lisa was created by UFOs just because it is spectacularly difficult."

Professor Richard Taylor

The professor, whose interest in patterns in nature led him to piece together earlier scientific research, published his findings in the journal Physics World in 2011.

Scientific research in the field is based on the work of biophysicists, who in the 1990s discovered plants from crop circles had elongated and pliable plant nodes that allowed rigid plant stems to be bent without breaking.

The researchers, W.C Levengood and Pat Delgado, concluded the plants had been exposed to a form of electromagnetic energy.

Professor Taylor suggested artists could be using microwave energy to manipulate crops.

"Could you take out the microwave source, which is a little thing called a magnetron, then could you go into the crop field to deliver this super-heating?" he asked.

"At the moment no one has done it, but it should be possible."

Back