• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crop Circles

dr wu

Doctor Prog
These circles are getting very complex lately. Does anyone have a link or talked to anyone in England who knows how they are being done. I am assuming here they are human creations.
Also why do we never here about people being caught at the scene of the 'crime'? As many as they make you'd think someone would get busted now and then.
Is there any evidence for a group of people doing these?

They're not being caught as there isn't a great police presence in that neck of the woods. I imagine that they've got better things to do than patrol all of those fields, on the remote chance that they may catch someone ;)

Something I've always wondered: don't the farmers get really mad and complain? Or is it such a rare occurrence they just forget about it?

They charge for you to go and see the best ones LOL . The best ones are always on slopes facing main roads and railway lines so they are easy to see .

They probably get compensation from DEFRA .

Circle Info

I was looking for more info than that. I have been to the circlemakers site and even they seem impressed with some of the circles and claim they didn't do many of the elaborate ones.
So, do we have several main groups of talented artists running around England in the middle of the night? I find it hard to believe that there aren't reports in the local papers of people being busted or at least seen in conjunction with some of these huge circles. Why have none of the hoaxers ever come forward other than those two sorry old men(Doug and Dave) yrs ago?
And still no specific data on how they are making them. Obviously they are not using planks of wood and rope only like the old men. How does one create a geometrically perfect design of that size in the dark with no mistakes...? I am looking for the actual method here and no I don;t intend to make some in the States if I learn the technique. ;)

'Information..we want information.'

Actually in real life they do often have mistakes and there are quite a few crap ones about as well as the ones that are good enough to get into calenders. There are also often pieces of writing marked into the crops ( though these seem not be published ) like graffiti . Apparently if you plan well enough in advance it is easy enough to carry out one of the amazing designs that make it into print . Crop circles are a form of conceptual art , part of the concept being they are anonymous and therefore mysterious . You aren't supposed to know who made them or how or there would be no point in them making them in the first place .

We have very few down here in Cornwall, and the only one I know about near Land's End was made by an inn owner at Sennen!

the reason people aren't being caught is that the county side is a big dark thing.

Have you ever tried to find anyone in the middle of a field at night? Not easy.

Problems...

liveinabin said:
the reason people aren't being caught is that the county side is a big dark thing.

Have you ever tried to find anyone in the middle of a field at night? Not easy.

My point exactly..! How in hell do you make an elaborate circle in the dark with no technology to guide you? How are they doing them? I have yet to hear one explanation of actual technique!

I have an online friend who lives in Kennewick, Washington, and some of her friends made their own crop circles in a field to tie in with the release of the film "Signs". They look pretty good apparently.

jima said:

Yes..I've seen it..but thanks.
Come on people...some of you Brits must know someone involved in circle making. What is their specific technique? How are they doing it? Ropes and boards aren't going to create those elaborate ones we have seen the last few yrs. What's their secret method?
Get out in the fields you pikers!

Does anybody remember when the authorities that be were trying to explain it away as rabid hedgehogs? Or did I dream that?
Maybe it was an urban legend but I swear I read that somewhere. Rabid hedgehogs just running around in circles until they get dizzy, throw up and pass out. hehehehhe.

Ropes and boards aren't going to create those elaborate ones we have seen the last few yrs.

I may be being very naive, but I'd always thought they'd do exactly that, together with a few extras. I haven't heard of any particularly complex gadgetry. I think it's basically to do with planning everything very carefully before you get into the field. Sorry to be so dull - if there are any real circle makers out there, please correct me.

It should be noted that there was a team of men in their sixties who stated they could make these crop circles.

When it was shown that men could actually make crop circles, it was all dismissed as a hoax and nothing more.

Stupid.

Never actually 'proven' mind you.

What people there are out there that make these circles will admit that the desgins that are still being found are much too elaborate for someone to make. The designs themselves are so detailed, it's hard to draw them on paper, much less stomping down the designs in a field somewhere.

My opinion of course, but old men or college kids making these things? Not a chance.

...designs that are still being found are much too elaborate for someone to make. The designs themselves are so detailed, it's hard to draw them on paper, much less stomping down the designs in a field somewhere.
A good point.

Still reminds me of the debate on the 'Canals on Mars' - they were definitely the result of intelligent activity, - but - at which end of the telescope?

The Circle Makers

Pumpkinhead said:
It should be noted that there was a team of men in their sixties who stated they could make these crop circles.

When it was shown that men could actually make crop circles, it was all dismissed as a hoax and nothing more.

Stupid.

Never actually 'proven' mind you.

What people there are out there that make these circles will admit that the desgins that are still being found are much too elaborate for someone to make. The designs themselves are so detailed, it's hard to draw them on paper, much less stomping down the designs in a field somewhere.

My opinion of course, but old men or college kids making these things? Not a chance.

Well that leaves aliens, the govt., or some unknown cosmic/earthly force...but..I just don't buy into that. So we are left with very clever humans but I have yet to hear one explanation of how they are doing them. Come on some of you Brits must know some circle makers!
Why are these people hiding from the public after all this time? Let's separate the wheat from the chaff.
As Fort once said, "One measures a circle beginning anywhere."

If it's aliens, they're missing a trick. Crops are so ephemeral - come harvest-time your work disappears.

They ought to try embossing their work into some great public open spaces, like Trafalgar Square. That'd make people think!

Yes, I've seen links where farmers admit hiring their fields for this purpose.

But that's just art imitating nature (whatever nature may be in this case), and doesn't answer the original question of how the formations that were the inspirations for these films were formed originally. (I doubt the film-makers circles were actually made in the dark.)

Re: Simple and Complex

dr wu23 said:
BTW, his 'circle' had obvious errors if you look at it closely in the article.

Yes, the pattern pictured is terrible!

The author also completely ignores the circles that
DO appear overnight in monitored fields.
And magnetic anomalies... and bending
versus breaking... etc...

TVgeek

So, if aliens are trying to tell us something, either they're not making their point clear enough or we're too dumb to understand, either way, I think they're wasting their time.

p.younger said:
So, if aliens are trying to tell us something, either they're not making their point clear enough or we're too dumb to understand, either way, I think they're wasting their time.

This has always been one of my points. Why would aliens travel here just to make marks in crop fields? They could easily contact us in better and more clear ways. It doesn't make sense.

Well, it's a moot point whether these BOLs and EM things aren't just what cereologists use to prop up their arguements. As for the circle makers themselves, their techniques are pretty low-tech. Night vision goggles make the whole thing easier ;) I don't think such complex designs are beyond the scope of experienced circle makers, especially if they plan things well. And I guess that they don't always own up because it's part of the fun ;)

Linda Moulton Howe claims to have had circles appear
within 60-90 minutes time while she and others have
been on an all-night watch. IIRC there was an
"extreme" darkness (fog, maybe?) for about an hour during the night -- and when it cleared, the circle formation
was there.

I'm not her press agent, or anything, but just this week
she has been observing aerial phenomena in Norway
which seems to be connected to her circle investigations.
She will report on this Saturday night... stay tuned!

TVgeek

TVgeek said:
Linda Moulton Howe claims to have had circles appear
within 60-90 minutes time while she and others have
been on an all-night watch.

Perhaps so, but I'd argue that such claims are very hard to prove. It's a case of trusting her on her words.

JerryB said:
Perhaps so, but I'd argue that such claims are very hard to prove. It's a case of trusting her on her words.
Which is exactly why I was asking about her in another thread.
(And thank you NWW for some answers!)
She is a documentary filmmaker, so she MUST see the need for some real-time documentation.

But I've never seen it...
TVgeek

Back