• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crow / Magpie / Corvid Superstitions

A nice light read with some good snippets of superstition.

Georgia Garfield-White
Feb 19, 2021

Corvids as Symbols of Misfortune

Corvids, a genus of birds ranging across the world whose number include crows, ravens, and magpies, play significant roles in a variety of global religions. In Chinese Folklore, once a year flocks of magpies form a bridge to allow tragically separate lovers, Chang’e and Houyi to meet again for just one night. In some legends of the Russian Koryaks, the Raven-God Kutkh is responsible for creating the lands and rivers and lakes. Tales of the Lenape people say the Rainbow Crow once made an arduous journey into the heavens to beg fire from the gods in order to see his friends through a harsh winter. During the journey back, the soot of the fire stained the crows beautiful multicoloured feathers a stark black.

While these particular legends paint these birds as the heroic, selfless creatures completing arduous tasks for the wellbeing of others, or at least morally ambiguous (as was the case of Kutkh, who either willingly gave the world the sun and the moon or had to be tricked into releasing them depending on which version of the legend you read) there are many other legends that paint them in a far darker light.

In many cultures, ravens, crows, and magpies are most commonly associated with death, trickery, and misfortune. In Britain, the magpie is a creature of superstition, and to see a single magpie is to invite bad luck, as immortalised in the popular folk-rhyme ‘one for sorrow, two for joy.’ There are a variety of ways to allay this misfortune – tipping your hat, spinning three times, saluting, or saying the phrase ‘good morning, Mr Magpie, where’s your wife?’ indicating that there is a second magpie nearby. This is one of Britain’s most enduring superstitions, and there are still people, to this day, who are unable to see a magpie without saluting. Magpies often mate for life, so a single magpie is thought to be widowed, which may have led to the legends about its unluckiness.

In Christian lore, the magpie has a slew of other crimes to its name. It was said to have been the only creature not to enter Noah’s ark, instead sitting outside and chattering, as well as the only bird not to sing to comfort Jesus as he hung on the cross. The church also once stated that the magpie had a drop of the devil’s blood on its tongue. Victorians were encouraged to cut out a magpie’s tongue to release the blood, after which the magpie would be capable of human speech. This last one may not have been entirely ridiculous – magpies (along with some other corvids) are capable of mimicking human speech.

Continued:
https://www.mythosblog.org/post/corvids-as-symbols-of-misfortune

This year, there are two crows who have settled somewhere near my backyard. I live in the city, so our backyards are not large.

When they start really cawing, I go outside to say hello and see where my large cat, Rupert, is. They like to tattle on him. He is usually just sitting in the middle of my yard enjoying the sun.

Studies have been done to show that crows do recognize people - and by extrapolation, probably specific cats. So I do say hello. No superstitious reason. Just being neighbourly. Any corvid - jays or crows are what are in my area - are good for warning of something happening nearby.

This year, there are two crows who have settled somewhere near my backyard. I live in the city, so our backyards are not large.

When they start really cawing, I go outside to say hello and see where my large cat, Rupert, is. They like to tattle on him. He is usually just sitting in the middle of my yard enjoying the sun.

Studies have been done to show that crows do recognize people - and by extrapolation, probably specific cats. So I do say hello. No superstitious reason. Just being neighbourly. Any corvid - jays or crows are what are in my area - are good for warning of something happening nearby.
The lone seagull who used to come and visit clearly recognized me in the kitchen, and would sit on the fence right next to the window where our little cat lay in the sun. Surprisingly neither seemed bothered by each other's presence - unusual for the cat at least.

The lone seagull who used to come and visit clearly recognized me in the kitchen, and would sit on the fence right next to the window where our little cat lay in the sun. Surprisingly neither seemed bothered by each other's presence - unusual for the cat at least.
I have noticed with my many cats over the years, if they can't catch it, they ignore it.

Our little cat is the opposite - she would run a mile from a sparrow, which is why it was strange that she was unbothered by that very large seagull.
Maybe she's had more experience with jays and other more assertive small birds.

This reminded of my one cat Squirt. She was only ever 6 lbs. She played chase with the squirrels in the back yard (she chasing and then the squirrel chasing). Anyway, one day she got too close to a jay's nest (my guess). She came hightailing it to the back patio door with the jay right on her haunches making sure she never bothered it again.:rofl:

This reminded of my one cat Squirt. She was only ever 6 lbs. She played chase with the squirrels in the back yard (she chasing and then the squirrel chasing). Anyway, one day she got too close to a jay's nest (my guess). She came hightailing it to the back patio door with the jay right on her haunches making sure she never bothered it again.:rofl:
Yes thinking about it she faced down a very large peacock which had landed in her back garden. They both stared at each other and then cat decided to lie down on peacock's long feathers which was not objected to by said bird. Maybe it's small birds she is scared of.

Not surprised that those jays fiercely defended their home. We had what seemed to be a clan of jays revenge one of their own after our cat got it. They dived at her as a group. She coward in a zucchini patch for days until they gave up.

I have a very long drive to a workplace once a week, partly over the moors. Yesterday on this drive I repeatedly, around five miles apart each time, in villages as well as between them, encountered large flocks of jackdaws on patches of road, looking excited and distracted. I've never seen this before. I later found out that my boss died at lunchtime after an illness. Unlike with other corvids I haven't heard of jackdaws being seen as omens of ill fortune, and the odd 'road flocking' is a new one to me, but I could be persuaded that I might've suspected something was amiss.

Always feed them in London,intelligent birds.
F5DAEEDC-8902-4550-B002-D53599A66926.jpeg
8605A998-D72C-4F90-A7E5-3D7A91916084.jpeg

Back