• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crucifixion Of Joseph de Havilland (Hampstead Heath; 1968)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Not very much about him online, but I was reading that in 1968 a gentleman, 30 years old, called Joseph de Havilland, nailed himself to an 8ft cross and crucified himself on Hampstead Heath. He was found dead the following morning. So many questions, like: how did he nail himself up there alone, for a start? There's a possibility this incident inspired the Highgate Vampire yarn. His motives seem obscure, anything from making the world a better place to personal, financial gain. Anyone know any more?

De Havilland didn't die, and he didn't crucify himself. Three other men were identified as the ones who crucified him.

Beyond that, very little about this affair has ever been publicly revealed. Its primary impact at the time concerned the legalities - most particularly whether de Havilland's consent rendered the act legal under British law.

This June 2014 article from the Daily Mail describes the basic outline of the incident. All standard disclaimers (regarding DM products) apply ...
Why was a man crucified in a London park in 1968, and how was Liberace involved?

Hugh Platt tweeted this reminder of a bizarre and disturbing crucifixion in a London park yesterday:

Then there was that time in 1968 where some guy was crucified in a park in London t.co/aDXNgq7eQg
— Hugh Platt (@HughDoVoodoo) June 8, 2014

The article linked is taken from the Miami News, showing how unusual stories still managed to spread across the globe via newswires back in the days before Twitter.

The nailed-up man, Hungarian interior decorator Joseph de Havilland, survived the experience. The park in question was Hampstead Heath

Erich Leach, another interior decorator, and two other men: Desmond Pollydore and David Conklin, were charged and prosecuted with causing grievous bodily harm.

The story remains shrouded in a certain amount of showbiz mystery, and the case is still referenced as setting a precedent in English law

It is particularly interesting from a legal perspective as the accused were not allowed to use the fact Joseph de Havilland had asked to be nailed-up as a defence.

Under English law, a victim cannot consent to be injured: unless the activity which causes the injury might be “socially useful”.

What counts as “socially useful” in the eyes of the law (e.g. boxing) and what doesn’t (e.g. consensual homosexual sadomasochism) remains a hotly contested issue.

The showbiz mystery factor comes from the involvement of celebrity solicitor David Jacobs

Jacobs, who is famous for securing enormous libel damages for Liberace after a newspaper suggested he might be gay, represented the three defendants. It wasn’t the kind of case you’d normally expect to be taken on by someone with such glamorous and famous clientèle.

Police actually questioned Jacobs himself as part of their investigation into the crucifixion, and very soon after the trial he was admitted to mental health care facility the Priory.

Jacobs was openly gay and a flamboyant character. He frequently represented clients who wished to keep their sexuality secret. In 1968, “male homosexual acts” had only been legal in the UK for one year.

Only months after the crucifixion case the solicitor took his own life, leaving behind almost indecipherable notes. Notes which led to police questioning of several gentlemen, including well-known public figures, about parties which had taken place at country estates and flats across England.

Information about the precise nature of these parties has never been made publicly available.

The story remains an enigma…

Why did Joseph de Havilland consent to be nailed to a cross on Hampstead Heath, and why did Jacobs agree to represent the defendants?

It’s been suggested that it could have been a very extreme sex game that went wrong - or possibly went exactly to plan.

That said, at the time, Canadian newspaper the Ottawa Citizen reported the case made by the prosecution: that “the crucifiers and the victim wanted to sell photographs of the ceremony and ‘divide the spoils’”.

Maybe it really was just a poorly thought out money-making scheme. As start-ups go, it sounds like they were targeting a pretty niche market.
SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:
https://web.archive.org/web/2014060...-a-man-crucified-in-a-london-park-in-1968-and

The various links in the Daily Mail article are dead. However, I did locate this image of the Ottawa Citizen article mentioned ...

dehav.jpg

Man, that is strange. I hope I haven't opened a can of legal worms by mentioning it. Seems to have some resonance beyond the "simple" act of crucifixion, but it's unclear what.

... I hope I haven't opened a can of legal worms by mentioning it. ...

I don't see how mentioning it and citing publicly published sources could constitute any problem.

I haven't been able to locate any info on what happened later. Given the more than half-century since the incident occurred, it might simply be a matter of lost news items or it might be the result of silence imposed after the fact.

This page examines the law on sadomasochistic practices, with some graphic details but no photos of the acts!

I thought the case was later than it actually was, probably because it remained the focus of comments on S & M practices for years after. It was widely felt that a working-class circle of enthusiasts, recruited via contact-magazines, had been chosen as an easy target.

The law has not changed, I gather. Have public attitudes? The internet must have introduced these things to a much wider circle of the curious. Could there be a similar case today?

The prosecution of a bare-knuckle fight in the late 19th Century seems to have established the precedent that people could not, legally, consent to acts of actual bodily harm on themselves.

To revert to the strange crucifixion; I had not heard of it before today. The quotes in the article above suggest that substances were involved, as well as some shared interests in interior design. Was there also a racial element? The reference to MLK makes me wonder, though newspapers in those days were not so squeamish about referring to the race of defendants. :fslap:

I found a later article, labeled as being from The Times of 15 January 1969. This (truncated) image, as well as the source webpage, indicate de Havilland was being crucified at the time all this was discovered - meaning he hadn't been abandoned or spent any length of time hanging there.

Here's an article from The Guardian, dated 1 October 1968 (i.e., in between the last 2 articles posted above).

The quoted text below is a reconstruction derived from a partial image of the printed article and a messy OCR-generated mass of text retrieved from the source given below.
Man on cross tells of visions

A former stage illusionist, found nailed to a wooden cross at Hampstead Heath, London, had first tried to get in touch, with the Archbishop of Canterbury, Marylebone Magistrates' Court was told yesterday.

Joseph de Havilland (27), of Surrendale Place, Maida Vale, London, said he left a message at Lambeth Palace : " I would like to inform the Archbishop, head of the English Church, that a testament will take place whereby a young man will be crucified with real nails and on a real cross to fulfil the first stage of a prophecy to act on the will of God."

De Havilland said that he had also got in touch with the Miracle Film Company in Wardour Street, Soho, and two other film organisations to tell them that the event was to be recorded on film.

He was giving evidence against Erie Leslie Leach (41), interior decorator ; Desmond Patrick Pollydore (28), unemployed; and David Kenneth Conklin (17), unemployed, all of Surrendale Place, Maida Vale, who are accused of causing de Havilland grievous bodily harm. Restrictions on the reporting of the hearing were lifted.

Earlier, de Havilland, who wore a metal cross on a chain around his neck, told the court of 12 prophecies made by " some things not of this dimension." The prophecies, over a three-and-a-half year period, all related to the crucifixion. De Havilland said the "things" - neither human nor animal - asked him to he crucified and told him where it should take place,

The Court was told that there had been a rehearsal of the crucifixion, known as "Plan X," so that the event could be safely talked about in public.

De Havilland said that during the crucifixion, he had directed Leach's mind before he had hammered in the nails. "Then Mr Leach reacted because he was not himself," he said.

De Havilland said that when Leach took out a third nail to start on his left foot, after his hands had been nailed to the cross, he had told him to stop. "I was informed by some things that it was the finish. That was enough," he said.

De Havilland said that during the crucifixion, Pollydore was standing about ten feet away, doing nothing. Conklin was taking photographs. The photographs taken at the scene were not meant for publication, he said.

The magistrate, Mrs Mary Williams, said the hearing would he adjourned until October 7. It would continue at Hampstead Magistrates' Court. All three were remanded in custody, but after an application for bail by Mr Julian Bevan, representing Pollydore, Mrs Williams said that Pollydore who had one surety of 100, could have bail if he found a further surety of 50.

SOURCE:
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/259890998/

Good Lord! It gets ever stranger! Pollydore, Conklin and De Havilland, purveyors of bespoke weirdness!

I think the profit motive seems less and less likely . . . :confused:

It's quite weird, even for us who love weirdness.

The more you dig into this old story, the less strange / Fortean the eventually exaggerated crucifixion incident seems ...

... and the more mind-bogglingly bizarre the incident's background becomes . :willy:

This page considers the case in relation to the Jacobs suicide and the Profumo Affair!

But remains baffled by it anyway! It leads us to a sleazy nightclub called the Paint Box, run by a lady called Adele de Havilland. Then dismisses it as a coincidence.

I admit to a certain interest in this name, as my mother had gone out with one of the de Havilland aircraft clan. Yes, they were cousins to Olivia, who is still with us! :clap:

Joan Fontaine was a de Havilland too, of course.

Given that celeb lawyer Jacobs represented him I wonder if Jospeh was related to the aeronautical de Havillands in some way.

Given that celeb lawyer Jacobs represented him I wonder if Jospeh was related to the aeronautical

The famous actress Olivia de Havilland is also a relation, and happily still with us at the age of over 100 years.

I remember this happening and read about it in my parents' newspapers.

I'd've been turning 10 in 1968 and already took a keen interest in the news.

My parents took the slightly less lurid tabloids - the Mirror in the week and the People on Sunday - which used language easily accessible to a precocious reader like me.

Even at that tender age it was obvious to me that someone couldn't crucify themselves.*
It set me up for grasping the nature of bizarre protests.

*Neil mentions trying it in The Young Ones.

"Homosexual impaled by black man on Hampstead Heath."

As part of said Heath is known colloquially as "Gobbler's Gulch", and the entire Heath is listed as one of London's finest dogging areas, I confess myself unsurprised.

maximus otter

"Homosexual impaled by black man on Hampstead Heath."

As part of said Heath is known colloquially as "Gobbler's Gulch", and the entire Heath is listed as one of London's finest dogging areas, I confess myself unsurprised.

maximus otter

It might provide inspiration for a modern day Keats. Ode To A Nightdogger.

It might provide inspiration for a modern day Keats. Ode To A Nightdogger.

“Company, atten-shun! This afternoon you will attend an Army Education Corps talk on the subject of Keats, as it has come to the Major’s attention that some of you ignorant ******s don’t know what a Keat is!”

maximus otter

Sounds like a shared madness, I know the sixties were a turbulent time, and prompted some strange behaviour, but were there drugs involved (all that talk of otherworldly beings!)? The 60s equivalent of the 21st Century Florida Man who gets off his face and indulges in weird practices that grab headlines?

Back