• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cruelty To Animals

ogopogo3

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
You have to love the defense attorney's take on this:

http://wcco.com/topstories/StoryFolder/story_394592576_html

Kitten Killer Sentenced To One Year
Former Prison Guard Sentenced To A Year For Killing Five Kittens

(AP) (WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.) Mar 22, 2002 12:43 pm US/Central

A former New York prison guard was sentenced to a year in jail Friday for crushing five kittens to death in a trash compactor.

Ronald Hunlock's offense was ``so offensive and so calculated and so gratuitously cruel it diminishes the humanity of everybody,'' Justice Kenneth Lange said.

Hunlock, 48, was convicted of aggravated cruelty to animals.

He discovered the newborn kittens and their mother in an inmate's cell at Sing Sing last March and ordered the inmate to put them in the compactor. When the inmate refused, Hunlock did it himself. The mother cat escaped.

``I made a bad decision and I'm sorry,'' he said.

Defense attorney Daniel Gallivan said Hunlock thought the cats were deathly ill.

And here I thought the thing to do with a sick animal was to take it to the vet, or in a case like this take them to the humane society at the very least. :rolleyes: This is the kind of stuff that really boils my arse!

I am a terrible person.

I can watch a human get shredded to peices and cheer for more but a kitten?
I am such a softy.

I have no qualms about death and blood and gore and dying-but a kitten?
Kittens are cute and soft and sweet and I'm inlove with one,have ben for the last 5 years.
Who would hurt a kitten?

That's terrible.
I'm terrible.

Killing in this way shows .... ah s*d it string the B*st*rd up!

Perhaps not that far but still ....

Harming the helpless deserves a lot of discouragement.

I say it'd depend on the kitten, if it was anything like this then I say he's lucky to escape with his life!!!

Who could possibly do such a thing? It's disgusting! I agree, the bastard should be strung up! I've done animal rehabilitation and worked in shelters for the past ten years, and the things I've seen would sicken even the hardest-hearted. I equate people who abuse animals with people who abuse children- harming anything small and defenseless is about the worst thing one can do, IMO. People who are cruel to animals have no respect for life, and if I had been the judge on that case, I'd have given that m*****f****** the harshest sentence I could.

I agree with all the above anti-animal cruelty statements and have more. (You can imagine.)

Didn't I hear last year that the US Customs fed a hundred illegally-imported Small Furry Creatures through a shredder? The SFC were chipmunks or something similar.

Cruelty to animals committed by children and young people is now recognised as a sign of a risk of violent crime in later life, in the US at least.

But, a grown man shredding kittens???
That's an act of mind-boggling depravity, and also very cruel to the presumably cat-loving inmate.

Who would hurt a kitten?

An adult (whole) male cat, that wasn't the father for a start, I'm afraid! Also any adult cat that got pissed off with it bouncing on it.

Don't get me wrong, I open tins for 3 cats, but I'm realistic about cat behaviour.

My father is a vet & is incapable of putting down an animal unless it is in pain. As a consequense I grew up with a house full of others unwanted animals, some were so traumatised it broke my heart. It wasn't until I was around 6 that I realised that donkeys were supposed to have more than 3 legs !!

Wintermute, I hear what you're saying. I'm glad you pointed this out, as it is important to keep one's perspective about animal behavior. However, I would argue that there is a big difference between a cat acting on instinct and a man deliberately choosing to do something like that. Cats have their own rules, and to an intact male, a kitten he has not sired is seen as a thret to his progeny. However, a human being? There's no excuse for that.

About US Customs shredding small furry animals imported into the country....I've never heard this before, and when I first read the post, I wanted very badly to discount it. However, now that I think about it, it seems like just the sort of thing the US gov't. would do. I'll try to find out more about this, but I doubt I'll get very far. If the public knew about this, there'd be mass protests, so if it is true, I'm sure the gov't is trying very hard to keep it quiet.

From the Washington Post, 30/4/02:
'Members of a Wake Forest University fraternity were charged with animal cruelty and abandonment after a drunk, dehydrated and sunburned pig was found unconscious in a park.

Wake Forest spokesman Kevin Cox said the university's dean of students is investigating and could impose fines or suspensions against the fraternity.

The 23 members of Sigma Phi Epsilon could be sentenced to 90 days in jail if convicted on a misdemeanor such as animal cruelty.

County officials said the fraternity members rented a picnic shelter at Tanglewood Park for a party thrown April 20 by newly initiated members in honor of more senior fraternity members.

Animal-control officers were called the next morning after the nearly 200- pound pig was found in the woods by a couple walking their dog. The pig was missing its tail and was unable to stand. Park officials said the animal was drunk.

"It reeked of alcohol," said Barbara Cassidy, the director of Forsyth County Animal Control. "That pig could have easily died. I don't understand how someone could think it would be fun to abuse an animal like that."

The dehydrated hog had patches on its skin where it was burned while being exposed to heat lamps used as props at the party, Cassidy said.

Animal control officers took the ailing animal to the county animal shelter, where it is recuperating. '

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7761-2002Apr3

2,000 dead dogs found on Alabama property

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/05/22/dead.greyhounds.ap/index.html

Man says he killed greyhounds for $10 each

LILLIAN, Alabama (AP) -- Investigators found the remains of as many as 2,000 animals, including hundreds of racing dogs, on the property of a man who said he has been shooting and burying greyhounds at a charge of $10 per animal for more than 40 years.

State officials obtained a search warrant Tuesday to search the 18 acres owned by Robert Rhodes after receiving a tip from Florida investigators. Satellite images showed animal bones strewn about the property and investigators used the photographs to convince a judge to issue the warrant.

"It's almost a Dachau for dogs," said Baldwin County District Attorney David Whetstone, referring to the Nazi concentration camp where thousands of Jews were exterminated between 1933 and 1945.

Florida officials were investigating allegations that greyhounds from Pensacola Greyhound Park, a dog-racing track, have been improperly destroyed.

Rhodes, 68, told The Mobile Register that he has killed and buried as many as 2,000 animals humanely -- with a gunshot -- but did not say what tracks brought him the dogs.

"Wouldn't you assume a person doing this for 40 years would know how to put them down?" he said. "I would not condone any torture."

Whetstone said he is considering criminal charges against Rhodes under the state's "Gucci Law" if any of the animals underwent severe pain or were tortured. The 2-year-old law was named for a Mobile dog that survived torture. The offense is a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Other possible charges include animal cruelty, a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum of a year in jail.

Whetstone said a veterinarian autopsied four of the dogs and determined only one had been shot cleanly through the brain. The others received bullet wounds through the neck and elsewhere, indicating they would have suffered before dying, he said.

Susan Netboy, president of the Greyhound Protection League in Sacramento, California, said she hoped there would be a follow-up investigation because she believed the extermination of aging greyhounds is common.

"The evidence that was brought to light by the district attorney destroys the ongoing propaganda from the racing industry that greyhounds are treated humanely and are not killed," she said.

Quite honestly, what else can you do with greyhounds that are too old to win any more races(i.e. earn their keep), but put them down? There just aren't enough people willing and able to take them on as pets. If you don't like the idea of killing past-it geyhounds, start campaigning for the abolition of greyhound racing.
I like dogs but I really believe it is wrong to keep them as pets, or for racing. Dogs that do useful work - guide dogs and such - are fine, but what earthly use are pet dogs, except to massage human egos? And greyhounds are exploited, pure and simple. Stop the damm things from being bred - sterilise every dog except for licensed breeding animals. Then we'll have streets and other public places free from dog turds. And no more kids having their faces torn off.
No, I was actually feeling quite cheerful when I got out of bed this morning.

Sir, you shame the memory of Santa's Little Helper.

Heathen! SHL fathered 25 puppies. That we know of.

Don't get me wrong I find SLH cute and adorable in a twisted cartoonish way. I was
commenting on the fact that you called Annasdottir a "sir", which I found to be
a very rude comment.

tastyintestines said:
I believe she's a "madame".
Don't you dare call me that! I'll have you know, you young jackanape, that I am a most respected and respectable old cow!

Annasdottir said:
Quite honestly, what else can you do with greyhounds that are too old to win any more races(i.e. earn their keep), but put them down?

Yeah. Right on! Lets get rid of old people too. They're useless after retirement.

(This IS a joke).

Annasdottir said:
I like dogs but I really believe it is wrong to keep them as pets, or for racing. Dogs that do useful work - guide dogs and such - are fine, but what earthly use are pet dogs, except to massage human egos?

My dog guards my home and property and when I am out with her she guards me . As well as being cute .
The whole greyhound racing and horse racing industries are a total exploitation of animals and the cruelty and waste involved is appalling .

its odd the way some people who asy they "love" animals exploite them to a great extent... a race horse trainer who loved horses wouldnt make em race til they die i would sugest or let some little bloke beat them as the run!... i think pets are agood thing in our society who else is pleased to see you at the end of the day and isnt embaresed to show it?... no i dont have a dog mainly cos i wouldnt liek the picking up the poo bit that IS a vital part of dog ownership...

It's been proven that having dogs and cats and other furry critters around keeps people happy, relieve stress, and even help when healing. Not to mention providing companionship to their owners.

If they can do that until they die, that is a perfectly acceptable task for an animal to do. Help us through our lives and make them better.

Being a dog owner and using my dog for all of the above, I'm not exactly sure how any of it is massaging my ego. I own a dog and I'm still a humble and gracious person.

I think a lots of dogs could be called 'cheering dogs for the depressed' and they are great conversation starters for those of us with social interaction problems!

Animal torture movies

Rather a tawdry tale of human cruelty to animal can be found here. It reminds me of a fad I heard some time ago of "crush movies", where a high-heeled model would be filmed whilst crushing insects, creepy crawlies and furry rodents underfoot.
Although the subject matter is abhorrent, I couldn't help wonder about this phrase in the report:
"The video showed small animals being injured with high heels and what prosecutor Peter Cooper said was one scene "of an overtly sexual nature" involving a mouse taped to a wooden board."
I don't think I've led a sheltered life, but :confused:

I live near Stoke and one of the people I meet when I walk my dogs is legally connected to the case.

I saw her the evening before the trial and she was hoping with all her heart that the b*st*rds went down.

more here-
http://www.observer.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,718214,00.html

I'd like to do the same to the scum who torture animals.

I really wish I hadn't read this.

The URLS of crushing Websites used to feature regularly in lists of
strange and surreal fetishes. The only one I saw featured harmless
things like biscuits and toy soldiers being crushed. And there was
a very weird site dedicated to feet operating car pedals!

I shall be keeping my eyes peeled for signs of guts on the heels of
any high heels in future. They can't have any innocent purpose! :cross eye

Cruel Scientists Kill Mice with Pop Music

'Slap on wrist' for scientists who killed mice with loud music

Rebecca Allison
Monday August 19, 2002
The Guardian

Scientists at Cambridge University who drugged mice and then blasted them to death with high volume music from The Prodigy have received an official reprimand from the Home Office, it was revealed yesterday.
Seven mice forced to listen to the pulsating music after taking a strong form of amphetamine or "speed" died, while others suffered brain damage as a result of research animal rights campaigners have branded "tasteless and horrific".
Of a total of 238 mice being used in the experiment, half were injected with the drug methamphetamine and half with salt water.
The mice were then exposed to silence, white noise - a "rushing" sound made from a combination of different frequencies - or loud music. The music played was from The Prodigy or Bach's Violin Concerto in A Minor.
Animals injected with salt fell asleep when the music was played. But the sounds dramatically affected the drugged mice, who appeared to jiggle backwards and forwards and move their noses from side to side as the music pounded in their ears. Four of the mice made to listen to Bach also died during the experiment.
Jenny Morton, leading the research, insisted the study was justified and conducted responsibly. The experiment was part of a wider study looking at the affect of amphetamine on the striatum, a brain region which degenerates in Huntingdon's disease.
The findings suggested that loud pulsating noise - the kind young people are subjected to in clubs - could enhance the drug's toxic effects. She said the volume used, 95 decibels, was equivalent to listening to a personal stereo turned up reasonably loud.
A year after these findings were first published in the journal NeuroReport, the Home Office yesterday confirmed it had taken "infringement action" against the research team.
"This report was thoroughly investigated by the animals inspectorate and appropriate infringement action has been taken. The music and drugs study was a by-product of the Huntingdon's disease research. It developed into a sep arate piece of work which went beyond the procedures authorised by the original licence," a spokeswoman said.
Although the Home Office would not discuss the nature of the action, it later emerged the scientists had received "formal admonitions" and had been reminded of the rules under which animal research must be conducted.
The British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection said it was appalled the researchers had got away with a "slap on the wrist".
"It's disgusting. They should be prosecuted for animal cruelty. Why should they get special treatment just because they are scientists? There needs to be an independent inquiry into regulating animal experiments," said campaigns director Wendy Higgins.
In May, BUAV accused Cambridge University of carrying out "horrific" experiments on monkeys without proper authorisation. Video footage secretly shot during a BUAV undercover operation showed marmosets having their skulls opened and their brains tampered with. The Home Office said it was considering the evidence.

All of which begs the question of what they were going to do with the research afterwards: start giving humans with Huntingdon's large doses of speed and playing loud music at them?

Sorry, don't buy that: this smacks of scientists working under the umbrella of a good cause (which Huntingdon's research surely is) and idly wondering to themselves "Hmm, I wonder...." with no real thought as to whether such unspeakable "experiments" are actually relevant, or indeed would yield any result other than demonstrating that pumping mice full of amphetamines and playing the Prodigy as deafening levels to them for hours on end would either kill them or scramble their brains.

Vivesection is a much wider debate, of course, but among people who agree that it is absolutely necessary at times in the course of medical research few would condone this sort of behaviour.

Aren't human beings nice?

Scientists at Cambridge University who drugged mice and then blasted them to death with high volume music from The Prodigy have received an official reprimand from the Home Office, it was revealed yesterday

Perhaps they didn't die, perhaps they killed themselves

Back