• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cruelty To Animals

The first post I read from this person linked to a video showing a decapitated crocodile. I do not know whether they are a troll or have some strange ulterior motive, but I personally find these posts odd.

To be fair, this is a thread on cruelty to animals, I would say my post is within the subject. There is lots of weird animal stuff on youtube.

If you type in 'korea bury pigs alive' into youtube you will see more animal cruelty. I hate to think of how much cruelty to animals there actually is.

The first post I read from this person linked to a video showing a decapitated crocodile... I personally find these posts odd.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Posting links to pics of mutilated animals, not to mention an apparently keen interest in certain criminal cases (look at some of the threads in Mainstream News) are pretty disturbing... this has been bothering me for a while now.

You are entitled to have whatever opinions you wish, as are others. As I am on this site I am interersted in the fortean in general. Personally I don't wish to see mutilated animals or motorcycle crashes, but then you have stated what is on the links so I haven't looked at them. But there may well be others on here who do. I am only one person.

A very unpleasant individual by the sounds of things. Luckily the cat is okay.

..Swinging cat attacker hands himself in to police

An unidentified man allegedly caught on CCTV swinging a cat in the air by its tail by has handed himself into police, the RSPCA has said.

The 20-year-old man from Ramsgate voluntarily handed himself into Margate Police Station and is now helping with enquiries, according to a statement released by the RSPCA.

After the shocking footage was released, the suspect is believed to have gone into hiding.

The RSPCA said: "We would like to thank the media and the public for their help in our appeal following this incident involving a cat being swung by his tail."

Owner Michelle Buchanan spoke of the cruel attack which took place on 29 October. "The attack lasted more than 30 seconds has left the cat “distraught."

“It’s horrific. I can’t believe anyone would do something that cruel,” she added. “Mowgli is emotional, he won’t go out the door. He used to be outside constantly”.

RSPCA Inspector Caroline Doe said: “This was a very violent, nasty attack on a cat. Anyone who witnessed this outside the pub must have been as shocked and appalled as we were”.

Two-year-old cat Mowgli was not injured during the incident.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/swinging-cat-a ... olice.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...limbed-inside-dead-horse-wanted-feel-one.html

Naked woman, 21, climbed inside gutted dead horse because she wanted to 'feel at one' – and no charges were brought

By Daily Mail Reporter

Oregon police say they will not file charges against a 21-year-old woman after pictures of her climbing naked inside the carcass of a dead horse surfaced online.

Disturbing photos of the Portland-area woman, whose name has not been released, show her small frame soaked in blood smiling at the camera.

The woman, whose boyfriend took the pictures, said she wanted to 'feel one' with the horse, according to an incident report.

But despite the graphic and disturbing nature of the photographs, Washington County investigators say the couple did not break the law.

In addition to the picture of the petite woman, who stands 5'6" and 119lbs, smiling from inside the horse, another photo shows her blood-soaked body standing in front of the animal.

The woman and her boyfriend are also pictured holding what is believed to be the animal's heart; and a fourth photo shows the pair holding a piece of the animal in front of their mouths as they pretend to eat it.

Washington County Sergeant Dave Thompson told local KOIN-TV even he was shocked by the graphic evidence.

'At some point you in your career you say yeah I've seen a lot of bad stuff - you see this kind of picture and you realise maybe you haven't seen everything,' he said.

Police told the station the woman and her boyfriend had recently taken over care of the 32-year-old horse, which had lived in Ridgefield, Washington.

Washington County’s investigation is suspended because no criminal activity had taken place.

The animal was reportedly in declining health.

According to an incident report, the couple told investigations they fired a single shot with a high powered rifle to put the horse down in effort to 'humanely kill the horse and eat the meat', according to KOIN.

The woman's mother said she had no knowledge of the incident until she was shown photos by the station. She says her daughter has since received death threats from angry people across the U.S.

The mother confirmed the horse's meat was harvested and eaten.

Disgusting: this woman should get a long sentence. I doubt that she will thought.

Gina Robins cooked kitten to death in microwave Robins (left) had claimed the kitten was shut in the microwave oven by other cats

A woman who microwaved a 10-week-old kitten to death has been found guilty of causing it unnecessary suffering.

The kitten's owner Sarah Knutton told Torquay Magistrates' Court she heard a sound then a "horrendous screech".

Gina Robins, 31, of Salisbury Avenue, Torquay, had denied the charge, claiming the kitten had been shut in the microwave oven by other cats.

Magistrates heard Robins was angry at Ms Knutton for reporting her boyfriend to police over a separate matter.

Robins was released on bail and is due to be sentenced at the court on 14 December.

'Made it worse'

Prosecutor Iain O'Donnell, for the RSPCA, told the court: "We say the defendant put the 10-week-old kitten in the microwave and cooked it to death."

Prior to the incident, on 16 February, the court was told that Robins had sent Ms Knutton a text message which said reporting a confrontation involving Robins' boyfriend to the police had "made it worse".

Ms Knutton, 35, also from Torquay, told magistrates that on the day of the incident Robins had gone to her home with her toddler son and had gone into the kitchen to heat up his food.

"She was in the kitchen for a couple of minutes and came into the lounge with the bowl of baby food," Ms Knutton told the court.

"She was jumpy, really, really different from when she went to the kitchen.

'Claws clenched'

"She was fidgety, something was wrong. I heard the loud noise... then this horrendous screech, a horrific loud screech."

She said when she had found the dead kitten she had felt sick and "numb", but Robins made no attempt to comfort her.

After the kitten died, Robins sent Ms Knutton a text message, ending their friendship and saying: "Remember the saying, 'What goes around comes around'?", adding: "The cat? Karma."

Vet Robert Cameron said the kitten "would have suffered prior to death".

He said its claws and ears - where there was no fur - were both reddened and its claws had been clenched in fear.

The chairwoman of the bench, Liz Klyne, told Robins that the magistrates found it "implausible" that another cat had closed the microwave door.

She warned Robins that they would look at all options, including jail, when she was sentenced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-15856146

I think vigilante action will more than recompense for any lack of court action. I would be surprised if she can still live in the area wherever it is, after this. I don't condone it, but perhaps it is inevitable.

On another note I was talking to a work colleague yesterday who has had her car broken into. She went on to say how one night a couple of years ago someone killed their two pet rabbits. Horrifically, they has had their ears torn off.

The reason that I mention it is because a vet viewed the bodies at the scene and was totally at a loss as to how it could have been done with a total absence of blood. They explain that a rabbits ears are full of blood vessels. It reminded me of the horse ripping thing.

Disturbing case, not many miles from here. Which means the perpetrator might well be someone I've passed in the street, or who's ridden the same bus as me...

Mutilated horse killed in Stithians field attack

A horse has died after being horrifically mutilated in a field in Cornwall, detectives said.
Devon and Cornwall Police said the tortured animal died from severe injuries to its head and body.

It is thought the stallion may have been sedated before the savage attack in Stithians. A mare and a foal in the same field were left unharmed.
Forensic searches are being carried out in the area and a vet will perform a post-mortem exam.

The horse was attacked between 16:00 GMT on Sunday and midday on Monday and anyone with information has been asked to contact police.
All horse owners in rural areas of the county have been warned by police to be vigilant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-16482110

:( As someone who has had horses (and most of my family in Cornwall still do) this attack on the poor stallion is so hard to take in. :cry:

I hope the "person" who did it gets what's coming.

A "Satanic link".... :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-16501650
"A link between the death of a mutilated horse in Cornwall and a Satanic ritual is being investigated by police."

I remember many years ago, some idiot set alight a mares tail as she stood in a field :cry: He later claimed that it was a "Satanic ritual". :splat:

Often in these cases reports in the media speak of a "Satanic" link, but it never comes to anything as no proof is found. More likely they're not the work of some philosophy but rather some nasty piece of work with no motive but to cause needless pain.

That's usually the size of it gncxx. Poor horse. I hate people who cause suffering to animals for kicks like that.

doesn't this sound rather like the classic cattle mutilations of ufo lore?

Honestly it just sounds like some pathetic little pervert. I hope they get whoever did it, no actually I hope the beast of Bodmin gets whoever did it.

More here...http://www.cornwallcommunitynews.co.uk/ ... the-devil/

It sounds like they know what they were doing: "“He was loose in the field. He was running with a mare and a foal. So it’s difficult to see how they got him down. They’ve cut into him to take his reproductive organs. Whoever’s done it, they’ve taken time to do it.
They’ve knocked his teeth out, and even a very strong man couldn’t knock a horse like that’s teeth out. He was dead when Dawn found him: but there are no drag marks in the field." :cry:

I don't buy the Satanic link, I think that just makes a better story *IMHO*.

Let's hope they get the people who did this before they do it again.

Cornwall horse mutilation inquiry draws blank

Police have drawn a blank so far in their investigation into the death of a horse which was found badly mutilated in a Cornwall field.
The stallion, called Erik, suffered severe injuries to its head and body at Stithians.
The two-and-a-half-year-old horse was attacked between 8 and 9 January.

Police are waiting for the results of toxicology tests on the horse and say they are still hopeful of catching the attacker.

Investigating officer Insp Chris Strickland said: "We are no further forward.
"We've followed up almost all lines of inquiry and have drawn a blank.
"We are taking the investigation very seriously. It would be great to catch whoever did this."

He said investigations suggested more than one person was involved in the attack on the horse, which had been sedated.
Insp Strickland said: "The horse did struggle at some point. Whether it was before or after they sedated it, we do not know."

He said that he had received more calls from the public about the case than any other in his 24 years as a policeman.
"We know how concerned people are about this case," he said.
"For anyone to attack an animal like this is quite shocking."

He said the force was keeping an open mind about the reason for the attack, including ritual killing "but it could just be a nutcase".

Devon and Cornwall Police have been advising horse owners to improve their security.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-16701045

Man who put cat in tumble dryer jailed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca ... e-20313913

Since her ordeal Princess the cat has been rehomed

A man who put a cat in a tumble dryer, turned it on three times and put the video on YouTube has been sentenced to 56 days in prison.

Allan Staughton, 23, of Saunders Close, Huntingdon, Cambs, admitted causing unnecessary suffering to the cat and was banned from keeping animals.

Staughton put his ex-girlfriend's cat Princess in the machine, saying, "Shall we go and see Mr Tumble?"

The cat injured its tongue and broke a tooth, and has since been rehomed.

Staughton filmed the cat at his former home in Godmanchester.

'Form of torture'
The video was brought to the attention of the RSPCA and removed from YouTube. The RSPCA described it as "a wicked crime".

Staughton told inspectors he thought the incident was funny when first questioned about it.

An image of Princess taken before Staughton had freed her from the dryer was released by the RSPCA
However, vet Helen Dennis told the court the cat would have been "severely traumatised" by the ordeal.

The presiding magistrate at the Huntingdon court, Celia Chignell, said: "We see this as a form of torture which is reinforced by the vet's report."

Kevin Warboys, mitigating, said his client was obsessed with children's television and had attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), although he added this was not a "rational explanation" for Staughton's actions.

RSPCA inspector Chris Nice welcomed the verdict, and said: "We were hoping he would get a lifetime ban, and that is exactly what has happened."

Thieves cut legs off sheep on Stockport farm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-20327241

Farmer William Perkins described the incidents as "barbaric" and "distressing".

Thieves sliced the legs off live sheep during "barbaric" night time raids, a Stockport farmer has said.

Three attacks have been reported to police during the past month at Lion House Farm, Cheadle Hulme, with a total of 11 sheep killed.

Farmer William Perkins said: "Some of these, we suspect had their back legs cut off while they were still alive."

The flock of about 70 rare breeds includes pregnant ewes. Greater Manchester Police are investigating.

Only animals younger than two years old were targeted, with their carcasses left for the farmer to find.

Mr Perkins added he had "never heard of anything like it before".

"You hear of sheep being killed either by accident or by dogs, but never having their back legs cut off."

The farmer said he believed his animals, which include black Welsh mountain, Hebridean and Portland were rounded up by dogs.

Insp Stephen Gilbertson said: "Whoever is responsible has gone to a lot of trouble - the sheep were not even taken away, but attacked in the field.

"The area is now on our nightly patrol plan and we could also use plain clothes officers."

Animal mutilations are a classic Fortean phenomenon, blessed with the attention of Fort himself but IIRC he was looking at societies where it was not endemic. The attention given to one classic case of horse-mutilation in England suggests the crime was actually declining here.

I had occasion earlier this year to browse through stacks of Australian and New Zealand papers from the 19th Century. Horse-attacks were reported in their thousands! Many of them were in clusters and caused police and farmers to speculate about maniacs. Debunkings were also frequent with some investigations leading to the conclusion that many horses were injuring themselves on broken glass etc. Letters then followed to debunk the debunkers. It would make a very monotonous book but there is no shortage of material.

When culprits were found, the evidence suggests they were motivated by ennui, idleness and jealousy of the horses, which were often better kept than they were. The period in question was one of economic depression and many crimes we think of as twentieth-century delinquency were rife. Mindless vandalism was quite common and all the usual noises were made about useless and absent parents.

Some other forms of JD seem to have faded: boys hanging around naked at crossroads is a crime we don't hear a lot of now but it caused disquiet once upon a time in the Antipodes! 8)

BBC News Scotland

29 November 2012 Last updated at 12:07

Tayside police probe 'surgical' attack on Perthshire sheep

Tayside police are investigating a sheep mutilation in Perthshire in which the animal's organs appear to have been surgically removed.

It is understood the sheep's heart, lungs and liver had all been laid out beside it at the farm near Blackford, Auchterarder.

The remains were discovered by the farmer on Tuesday.

A force spokesperson said an investigation into the incident was ongoing.

Tayside Police added they were keen to speak to anyone who may have witnessed any suspicious activity in the area between 16:00 on Sunday and 16:00 on Tuesday.

Are people really that stupid and cruel? :shock:

College student's turtle project takes dark twist

Clemson University student Nathan Weaver set out to determine how to help turtles cross the road. He ended up getting a glimpse into the dark souls of some humans.

Weaver put a realistic rubber turtle in the middle of a lane on a busy road near campus. Then he got out of the way and watched over the next hour as seven drivers swerved and deliberately ran over the animal. Several more apparently tried to hit it but missed.

"I've heard of people and from friends who knew people that ran over turtles. But to see it out here like this was a bit shocking," said Weaver, a 22-year-old senior in Clemson's School of Agricultural, Forest and Environmental Sciences.

To seasoned researchers, the practice wasn't surprising.

The number of box turtles is in slow decline, and one big reason is that many wind up as roadkill while crossing the asphalt, a slow-and-steady trip that can take several minutes.

Sometimes humans feel a need to prove they are the dominant species on this planet by taking a two-ton metal vehicle and squishing a defenseless creature under the tires, said Hal Herzog, a Western Carolina University psychology professor.

"They aren't thinking, really. It is not something people think about. It just seems fun at the time," Herzog said. "It is the dark side of human nature."

http://news.yahoo.com/college-students- ... 57207.html

The Hollywood Reporter have had a lot of attention for their latest investigation:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/feature/

In a nutshell, you know that AHA disclaimer "No animals were harmed during the making of this movie" at the end of the credits? Not true, not true at all, in fact the AHA have been covering up a whole load of bad publicity where animals have indeed been harmed during moviemaking, lots of them. Shameful, and I should warn animal lovers it's a grim article.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some films where it's obvious that some harm is being done to the animals, although a particular example does not readily spring to mind.

Mythopoeika said:
I'm pretty sure I've seen some films where it's obvious that some harm is being done to the animals, although a particular example does not readily spring to mind.

The common one the BBFC likes to cut out are horses getting tripped, quite often in Westerns (though they don't make so many of those anymore).

I have a file somewhere of odd bbfc rulings where cruel horse-falls were noted in DVDs which hit the market on the nod. Which is to say the distributors went ahead with releases which were not expected to cause problems, pending certification. Perhaps there are collectors of cruel horse-falls. If there are, I expect they can get their kicks more powerfully these days.

Classic films, such as Stagecoach, cannot be seen on recorded media in versions which properly represent the cinema version, so far as anyone can properly tell. Ironically, we saw them in their full horse-fall horror in childhood, almost certainly, since the bbfc had no powers to influence television showings.

Often the tv showings followed available prints with bbfc cuts. Among the more notorious examples of animal cruelty on film is Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev. The old horse which got shoved off the steps was regarded as dead already by the film-makers. who acquired it from a knacker's yard. The BBC used to show that sequence more or less complete. It is edited in the BFI home movie formats.

Missing from all common UK versions is the sequence in which a cow was set alight.

We do get to see a mummified man having boiling brass poured down his throat - but that was probably faked! :shock:

I did see those films in childhood. Loved Stagecoach to bits - still do. Never occurred to me then that any horses got hurt, I think as a child growing up in town and knowing nothing about horses we probably thought the horses were trained to do that.

I only realised what cruelty there had been when I read David Niven's book on Hollywood.

Back