• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cruelty To Animals

Going to work. Further to the post above, just time to post this:

27 animals died during filming of Hollywood blockbuster The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, says report

That's a lot of supermarket own brand burgers.

Apparently, "The report by The Hollywood Reporter accuses the American Humane Association (AHA) – the issuer of the familiar “no animals were harmed” credit – of not only failing to protect animals on set, but also of covering up those lapses."
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

Twenty seven animals including goats and sheep were said to have perished from dehydration, exhaustion or drowning on a New Zealand farm during filming.

Chicken rescued from crushing machine in East Lothian
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-25929050

Jill the chicken

The surviving chicken has been named Jill

A chicken dumped in a recycling crusher machine in East Lothian has been saved just before it was switched on.

A member of staff was about to switch on the crusher at the centre on Heugh Brae in North Berwick when he heard a noise coming from the machine.

He picked up the box, shook it and heard the noise again. When he opened the box a chicken jumped out.

The Scottish SPCA said there was another chicken found in the box on Saturday but it had already died.

The charity is appealing for information.

Animal ban
John Toule, of the Scottish SPCA, said: "Jill is a red hybrid hen and has a friendly, sweet nature so it's very likely that she has been kept in a domestic setting.

"This was a particularly cruel abandonment which appears to have been done with the intention of causing the birds serious harm or death.

"A review of CCTV footage has revealed a man placing the box into the skip close to the inactive crusher 45 minutes before the staff member was alerted.

"We believe the individual responsible for this act may have been driving a silver Citroën or Peugeot type vehicle.

"It may be that someone locally might have noticed their neighbour's hens going missing and if so we'd like them to get in touch with us. We would urge anyone with information to contact our animal helpline on 03000 999 999."

Abandoning an animal is an offence and anyone found guilty of doing so can expect to be banned from keeping animals for a fixed period or life.

Having had two greyhounds enrich my life(both rescued racers) I would like to tell anonymous that she is a common skell.

Some greyhounds are not cut out to be pets, temperment issues, but most are very happy to find that forever home with loving humans. I still remember how Mr. Hogan, our track dog-the other was an unwanted puppy-would come to my wife and I to press his head against us after he ate his meals, saying thanks.

And as for the complete ass who thinks that keeping pets is an abuse, well, you have to be a real piece of work.

Dogs and cats are our oldest friends, especially dogs, and as such, worthy of a certain respect. My life would be a much poorer place were it not for my current dog, a gentle Staffordshire Terrier-another rescue.

I go out to walk my dog, and find myself confronted by some nut-case who wants me to have her destroyed, or wants to blame us for a turd his sister stepped in two years ago. These gazooneys will spout imaginary laws, and otherwise run off at the mouth until you can get away from them. Doesn't happen often, but more than it should.

Of late, if this happens, I take out my cell phone and dial 911-there are laws against harassment, and being a retired copper, well, I know how to make the situation a lot worse for the jerk. Mostly they run for it, jabbering threats, not to be seen again.

You don't want a dog? Don't get one, it is your choice.

But don't you dare try to hurt my dog, because I will probably do you harm.

Mind your own damn business, it's the right thing to do.

I'm too annoyed to make a rational comment.

Kitten in microwave woman pleads guilty
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-26293350

A woman killed her pet kitten by putting it in a microwave and turning the machine on because she thought it had killed her goldfish, a court heard.

Laura Cunliffe, 23, of Hoyland, near Barnsley, pleaded guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to the animal at Barnsley Magistrates Court.

The kitten died after being shut in the microwave in September.

Cunliffe was released on bail ahead of a sentencing hearing, which is due to take place on 13 March.

An RSPCA spokeswoman said: "This was such a sad case and clearly this poor kitten would have suffered terribly and during a prolonged period of time."

It is thought the cat was in the device for about one minute.

The animal died about a hour-and-a-half later.

An incipient serial killer at work.

Dead cats found hanging from trees in Yonkers, New York

A handout photo from the Westchester SPCA shows bags with the remains of cats in the woods in Yonkers

Some of the bodies were still in plastic bags, while others had spilled from ripped sacks on to the ground

Authorities in a suburb of New York are investigating dozens of dead cats found hanging from trees in plastic bags in a small, rubbish-strewn wood.

The cats may have been killed with blows to the head, an animal protection worker in Yonkers said.

Some of the cats had been reduced to skeletons, while others had been killed within the last several days.

The 25-30 cats were discovered on Thursday by a sanitation crew. Some spilled to the ground.

Ernest Lungaro, of the Westchester County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, told the Associated Press that investigators had found a baseball bat, two shovels and a metal pipe near the scene.

It is unclear whether the cats were feral or kidnapped pets.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27163855

Theres a potential serial killer out there.

Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile

An investigation into the gruesome discovery has been launched

Manchester City Council has launched an urgent investigation after a bin bag full of severed cats' heads was found on a street near the city’s famous Curry Mile.

The gruesome discovery was made by a council worker who had been sent to investigate fly-tipping complaints in the Rusholme area.

The bin bag’s contents were revealed in a memo sent to councillors and council officials, which described the findings as “cat heads”. The Chairman of the local Conservative Association, Stephen Woods, told the Manchester Evening News [MEN] everyone was “flabbergasted” when they received the news.

“It’s absolutely disgraceful the way they have been treated,” he said.

The animal remains were condemned as “an extreme example of animal cruelty” by Manchester City Council, who said an investigation into the “sickening” incident is now underway. ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 74567.html

ramonmercado said:

Manchester City Council has launched an urgent investigation after a bin bag full of severed cats' heads was found on a street near the city’s famous Curry Mile.

The gruesome discovery was made by a council worker who had been sent to investigate fly-tipping complaints in the Rusholme area.

The bin bag’s contents were revealed in a memo sent to councillors and council officials, which described the findings as “cat heads”. The Chairman of the local Conservative Association, Stephen Woods, told the Manchester Evening News [MEN] everyone was “flabbergasted” when they received the news.

The animal remains were condemned as “an extreme example of animal cruelty” by Manchester City Council, who said an investigation into the “sickening” incident is now underway. ...

Dead cats 'near Manchester's Curry Mile'.

Hmmm. :hmm:

I wonder what 'meat curry' tastes like round there. No, I don't want to find out.

Mythopoeika said:
ramonmercado said:

Dead cats 'near Manchester's Curry Mile'.

Hmmm. :hmm:

I wonder what 'meat curry' tastes like round there. No, I don't want to find out.

Oh Jesus no.

I suppose it could be that.

ramonmercado said:

Is this unconscious racism by MEN and independent? Why else do they mention it was found "near" the Curry Mile, why not just say where it was found in Rusholme?

Monstrosa said:
ramonmercado said:

Is this unconscious racism by MEN and independent? Why else do they mention it was found "near" the Curry Mile, why not just say where it was found in Rusholme?

Maybe unintentional. Just bad taste humour.

I agree with Monstrosa. It is kind of worded like that to get you to think of the connection.

OneWingedBird said:
I agree with Monstrosa. It is kind of worded like that to get you to think of the connection.

Yup, it does seem that way. I also thought it was odd that they mentioned 'Curry Mile'.

Not only mentioned but illustrated by a (stock?) photograph of certain restaurants in the Guardian's version of the story.

A bin-bag full of cats' heads made me think of dozens, not the "four or five" mentioned in the Guardian's account. The fact that the council worker was following a tip-off does suggest that someone wanted them found. :(

Although the "curry mile" reference was clearly intended to suggest that the unfortunate felines had ended up in a jalfrezi, I'm afraid my immediate reaction to the story was of a worse possibility.

In the light of the current ISIS mania for beheading, has some knuckledragging wannabe jihadi been practising on pets? ISTR an unpleasant story a few years ago of Islamists crucifying a cat because someone had drawn a cartoon that upset them, or something.

Well, as only a visitor to Manchester, I recognised the area called 'The Curry Mile', but wouldn't have made much of a connection with Rusholme, well other than an old song.

Time was when people used to say the Curry Mile was the best place to go for an Indian feast: the prices were kept low by the high-volume studenty clientelle but the restaurants were keenly aware of the competition and vied with each other to provide the best experience. Old hands at the game had their favourite chefs and would follow them as they moved from joint to joint, advising relative newbies against the over-generous offers of free puppies and pickles by touts on the street.

I don't wish to paint a picture of the Golden Age: I know there were closures and health warnings even in the days when you could get a few drinks at the Clarence and an earful of jizz*.

I suspect the decline set in ahead of the smoking ban; by the time it arrived, about half? of the restaurants had knocked out their windows and declared themselves - technically - open-air shisha bars. There was still a student clientelle but the tone was increasingly set by hard-faced smokers who hung out in a fog of exotic fumes.

There was no longer much talk of cuisine.

I don't believe cats find their way into many a vindaloo but there is no longer much reason for people to make the pilgrimage to find out. :(

*I think I meant jazz. :oops:

I'd give anything to get my hands on whoever did this.

Horror ordeal as puppy dies after being hog-tied and roasted alive

puppy.jpg

A young puppy found in dreadful condition in Kildare was discovered by vets to have been roasted alive over a fire

30 January 2015 02:14 PM

A puppy has died of “horrific injuries” after it was hung over a low-burning fire and “roasted alive”.
The little ‘Staffie’ was found by the Kildare West Wicklow SPCA (KWWSPCA) beside the Curragh Racecourse earlier in the week.

A jockey had spotted the animal and called the charity.

You can read the full article here, http://www.herald.ie/news/horror-or...being-hogtied-and-roasted-alive-30950956.html

Horrific! :mad:
Put a hex on them, Kadash.

Ooer! :( Woe betide them.

Back