• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cruelty To Animals

It's coming antifreeze time of year so look out for your cats,
drivers overfill the car with antifreeze or as antifreeze is more searching than water
a leak starts this drips under a parked car, cats like the warmth or just hiding under
the car find the antifreeze that is nice and sweet but poisonous lap it up and good
night Vienna.

I find it hard to credit that I have somehow spent my entire life up to this point blissfully unaware of the practice of Fox Tossing. :eek:

Don't snigger - it's not what you think ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_tossing

1024px-Fox_tossing_1719.jpg

When I say like . . .

Blissfully unaware till now is exactly the right phrase!

I am unclear whether any of the animals who ran this gauntlet earned their freedom. I suspect they were recycled until they were tossed. :(

Yep, I'd hazard a guess that they were reused until they became 'unfit for purpose'. Mind you, a dead fox - or even a fox-shaped dummy - would've performed just as well, aerodynamically speaking...though the physical risk to the human participants was no doubt a large part of the attraction. I wonder if there were rules about the size and weight of the projectiles as in other field sports - a 'standard fox', if you like?

I suppose the unfortunate creatures would at least have enjoyed a brief moment of freedom from gravity at the apex of their trajectory, giving them the thrill of feeling like pioneering vulpine astronauts.

It is a fascinating engraving. The "beaters" appear to be discharging their weapons against the far wall in order to set the unfortunate creatures dashing from the traps into the hazardous zone of the tossers.

Maybe the term "tossers" has this ancient derivation! :badge:

Ha! Maybe...

It's all quite complicated isn't it? It would have made an excellent early '80's videogame: Foxtoss by Namco.

I still don't understand how the f*ck they were able to (a) catch and detain the foxes, and (b) persuade them to stay on the slings prior to launching, with or without firearms going off all over the shop. Bizarre.

Christ on a bike...and we think Celebrity Big Brother is demeaning to humanity.

Huntsman jailed for badger-baiting in Wales

An experienced huntsman has been jailed after being caught badger-baiting on remote farmland in north Wales.

RSPCA inspectors and police also found two foxes in a cage next to a pack of dogs on the farm, a meeting place for the Dwyryd Hunt, and believe they were going to be released for dogs to attack.

David Thomas, 51, from Blaenau Ffestiniog, was jailed for 22 weeks, told to pay costs of £5,000 and disqualified from keeping dogs for eight years for offences including causing a badger to suffer, keeping premises for an animal fight and causing the suffering of two confined foxes. The court was told he had been a huntsman for 32 years.

A second man, Jordan Houlston, 24, was jailed for 20 weeks

Llandudno magistrates court was shown footage captured during undercover surveillance of dogs attacking a badger. Images produced in court also included fake setts – used to hold a badger for baiting – and animal skulls, which could have been those of foxes or badgers.

RSPCA inspectors attended the farm in February last year with police and seized 23 dogs. At the same time, a search was conducted at Houlston’s address in Llandudno, where a further eight dogs were seized. At this address a veterinary kit was found, including syringes, and a selection of books, one of them titled Badger Digging with Terriers.

Emotional Support Hamster Flushed Down Toilet.

“She was scared. I was scared. It was horrifying trying to put her in the toilet,” Aldecosea said. “I sat there for a good 10 minutes crying in the stall.”

"Derek Dombrowski, spokesman for Spirit Airlines, acknowledged that the company had mistakenly told Aldocosea that the hamster was permitted to fly, but denied that killing the animal was their idea."

:heartb:

Getting out of hand, isn't it?

I don't read this thread because animal cruelty gets me upset. Having said that though ...

*hee hee*

Emotional Support Hamster Flushed Down Toilet.

“She was scared. I was scared. It was horrifying trying to put her in the toilet,” Aldecosea said. “I sat there for a good 10 minutes crying in the stall.”

"Derek Dombrowski, spokesman for Spirit Airlines, acknowledged that the company had mistakenly told Aldocosea that the hamster was permitted to fly, but denied that killing the animal was their idea."

:heartb:

1518191748541.jpg

It's all OK: she's got another hamster.

In an interview Geoff Hawkins, her new hamster, said: "I'm confident in my abilities as Belen's new ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶l̶l̶e̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶ emotional support hamster. If things don't work out, however, I'm hoping for an improved severance package."

maximus otter

Two guinea pigs and a cat have died at the house of the Russian nerve agent victims, because a vet did not have access to property. Do you need a vet to attend to the welfare of these animals? Officers have been searching and working in that property since the victims were hospitalised. Why they could not attend to the animals’ welfare when they first entered the property?

But of course it was something they ate according to the girls cousin (not BS surely?).

Nasty, treating puppies as drug mules.

(Reuters) - A veterinarian from Colombia was charged with illegally smuggling narcotics into the United States by surgically implanting packets of liquid heroin into the bellies of puppies, U.S. prosecutors said on Tuesday.

Andres Lopez Elorez was arraigned in a federal court in Brooklyn on Tuesday on an indictment of conspiring to import and distribute heroin into the United States, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York said.

Elorez, 38, pleaded not guilty, U.S. news reports said.

His court-appointed lawyer, Mitchell Dinnerstein, said his client “doesn’t have any real connection” to the United States, the New York Times reported. Dinnerstein was not immediately available for comment.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...cid=newsltushpmgnews__TheMorningEmail__050218

Fortunately the tiger is in good condition. Vid at link.

U.S. Border Patrol agents in Brownsville, Texas, got a real on-the-job surprise on Monday.

Agents working near the Rio Grande witnessed three individuals trying to enter the country, including one who was carrying a small, black duffel bag.

The smugglers changed their minds about coming to America after they saw the agents. They dropped the bag and hoofed it back to Mexico, according to KHOU TV.

When the officers examined the duffel bag, they were shocked to discover an unconscious male tiger stuffed inside, according to CNN.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...cid=newsltushpmgnews__TheMorningEmail__050218

Some unpleasant happenings in the suburbs of Norwich at the moment. It appears someone may be systematically mutilating and killing cats.

Two cats have been found with their ears sliced off and two dead animals have also been found.

Two possible sightings of the perp have been recorded - on one occasion attempting to stuff a cat in a holdall, on another swinging a cat against a wall.

Warning - articles contain distressing photos of injured cats.

Five cats attacked in two weeks as body parts discovered

And a follow up article interviewing local residents, who claim many cats have gone missing and people are now keeping their pets indoors:

Pet owners in Norwich living in fear

All rather disturbing.

Shades of the Croydon cat killer. There's some sick fuckers around.

Young psychopath in training, I'm thinking. They need to catch him now before he moves up to killing humans.

Shades of the Croydon cat killer. There's some sick fuckers around.

"The so-called Croydon cat killer does not exist, the Metropolitan Police has confirmed.

The force launched an investigation in 2015 into reports of mutilated cats in Croydon and the surrounding area.

Twenty-five post-mortem examinations were carried out but found no evidence of "human involvement".

Scotland Yard said injuries inflicted on cats were "likely to be the result of predation or scavenging by wildlife on cats killed in vehicle collisions".
Foxes are believed to be behind some of the mutilations."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-45588088

maximus otter

"The so-called Croydon cat killer does not exist, the Metropolitan Police has confirmed.

The force launched an investigation in 2015 into reports of mutilated cats in Croydon and the surrounding area.

Twenty-five post-mortem examinations were carried out but found no evidence of "human involvement".

Scotland Yard said injuries inflicted on cats were "likely to be the result of predation or scavenging by wildlife on cats killed in vehicle collisions".

maximus otter

Blame foxes when it's more likely to be a psychotic farmer.

maximus otter

It's certainly true the police have ended their investigation, & they've probably got other priorities. Not everyone is convinced by their explanation. From Jan 2019:

One practice, Streatham Hill Vets, issued a warning on its Facebook page shortly after the Met closed the operation. “We have had several of these bodies brought in to us,” the post said. “They have all consisted of clean, surgical-type amputations or beheadings. They were not done by foxes or wild animals. It is exceptionally rare for a fox to attack a cat and they should not be used as scapegoats for these horrific crimes.”
Round my way there's plenty of foxes & even more cats. They normally avoid each other, though a fox may well scavenge a dead cat. I've not heard of one incident round here - it'd certainly make the local news if it were happening. If there's a cluster round S. London it's unusual.

Rough justice meted out in this case. Attacks on elephants must be stamped out.

Elephant tramples man to death in India after 'locals pelted it with stones when it gave birth to a calf'

• Footage shows an elephant prodding its newborn calf as it lays on the ground
  • Locals flocked to the scene in Ajnashuli and 'chucked stones at the animal'
  • It's understood Shailen Mahato, 27, was killed, when the crowd were chased
By BRENDAN MCFADDEN FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 09:43, 18 May 2019 | UPDATED: 09:50, 18 May 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...birth-calf.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline

Sheep and cattle attacked and mutilted and daubed with occult symbols, I don't think there's been much of this recently, as usual a lot of the papers are blaming it on "Satanists". The report from the Independent is reasonably sober.

Sheep stabbed to death and painted with Satanic symbols in New Forest

Occult markings also sprayed on church door in village of Bramshaw

A spate of animal attacks and the appearance of occult symbols in the New Forest are being investigated by police, with local residents concerned a Satanic-style cult could be to blame.

One sheep was fatally stabbed and marked with pentagrams near the Hampshire village of Bramshaw, while one heifer and two calves were found with stab wounds in the Linwood area. The animals were later treated by vets.

Satanic symbols, which included an inverted cross and the number 666, have also been sprayed onto the door of St Peter’s Church in Bramshaw.

Police are currently investigating to establish whether the incidents, which have been taking place since Tuesday 12 November, are linked.

Reverend David Bacon, the vicar at St Peter’s, said: “People are concerned. I’ve been here 15 years and seen a lot of stuff, but nothing like this.

“It could just be kids, but I don’t think it is, given the context.
“There’s been witchcraft round here for hundreds of years – the New Forest is well known for witchcraft and black magic happening, and this has obviously gone up a level.”

The New Forest covers more than 220 square miles of southwest Hampshire, with locally-owned livestock allowed to roam freely across the woodland under common rights dating back to the 13th century.
Author and occultist Gerald Gardner, who died in 1964, claimed a coven – a secret society of witches – met there at the start of the 20th century.

Tony Hockley, a resident and the chairman of the New Forest Commoners Defence Association (CDA), expressed his concern at the effect the attacks could have on the local community.

“Any harm to New Forest livestock hurts everyone,” he told The Independent. “We all depend upon the vocational commitment of 700 local people to turn livestock out to graze the landscape. Most have just a few animals, and there are only 200 sheep in the whole of the New Forest.

“It is devastating to lose one in this way, and it is the sort of thing that will make commoners give up. If the grazing goes then the accessibility, culture and biodiversity go too.

“We’d implore anyone with any information on these terrible incidents to help the police.”
Mr Hockley added that he was not aware of a history of occult incidents in the area but added: “The New Forest, like many rural areas, has a historical association with witchcraft so that draws some people and some of the local shops trade on that but it’s normally more about fairies.”
Hampshire police are also making enquiries into reports of a second sheep being found dead and covered in markings within the New Forest.

Sergeant Andy Williams, of Hampshire Constabulary’s Country Watch team, said: “These incidents are unusual in the New Forest. We are looking at the circumstances of each one to see if they are linked, and to see how these animals came to be injured.
“If you have any information that could help our enquiries, then please call 101, quoting the crime reference number 44190416137.
“We would also urge anyone who uses the Forest, including Commoners, to be vigilant. Please contact us if you see anything suspicious, even if you think what you have seen or heard is not that important.”
Animal charity RSPCA said: “We are very concerned about how these animals died so would urge anyone with information to contact police who are investigating.”

From: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ic-symbols-new-forest-hampshire-a9217271.html
WARNING: Images of cruelty to animals

Last edited:

Link not working for me.

Another case here. Teenagers sentenced to wrist slaps for throwing bricks at sheep.

Teenagers who threw bricks at Gosport sheep sentenced
  • 26 November 2019
Four teenagers who threw bricks at sheep and snapped off their horns have been given community sentences.
The girl and three boys - aged between 13 and 15 - chased the animals at Alver Valley Nature Reserve in Gosport before the attacks on 30 April.
[...]​
Officers discovered Shetland sheep with their horns missing and some with serious eye injuries after being called to reports of children throwing bricks at animals.
Anna Presswell, a police staff investigator for Hampshire Police, said the animals were all "visibly shaking and panting" when officers arrived at the scene.
Article:

Back