• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crying Boy Portrait

My ex's parents had Constable's 'Haywain' over the fireplace for years, followed by one called 'Wings Of Love', which seemed to be Dali-inspired.

SPQ304.jpg

Umm... not to my taste.

Any chip pan fires while they were deep-frying swan?

gerardwilkie said:
Back in the late 70s early 80s my aunt and uncle bought a picture of a young boy crying and leaning against a tree. I always hated that picture , but one day they had a chip pan-fire in their flat , and they were told by a friend that it was because of the picture . Apparently the picture was cursed and it was common for a house to go on fire after the owners hung up the picture . At the time that spooked me no end , and needless to say the picture was destroyed in the fire . I had forgotten about this until recently , when my wife told me she saw an item about this picture on This Morning and she remembered me telling her about it years ago . Does anyone else have any experience of this ?

What would make a picture of anyone crying cursed though?

Couldn't be the negativity of the boy crying could it?

theyithian said:
Umm... not to my taste.

We used to look closely at the bloke as you can't tell if he is showing his right hand or his willy.

I'm still not sure. ;)

escargot1 said:
theyithian said:
Umm... not to my taste.

We used to look closely at the bloke as you can't tell if he is showing his right hand or his willy.

I'm still not sure. ;)

:shock:

escargot1 said:
theyithian said:
Umm... not to my taste.

I'm still not sure. ;)
If he was frying chips in that pose, he'd deserve either a medal or sectioning :shock: .

I don't think anyone is going to want a battered saussage for a while :twisted:

They can break a man's arm, you know.

Doesn't bear thinking about.

Should we get back on topic, do you think? Maybe set up a seperate thread for rubbish paintings...

GadaffiDuck said:
I don't think anyone is going to want a battered saussage for a while :twisted:
:rofl: :rofl:

mmmmm..fried swan....you'll be giving us Scots ideas!

mooks out

Definitely Dali-esque. But also a certain amount of mild eroticism; this was a cheap print that could be displayed as 'art' without drawing too much sensure from the neighbours.

I'm sure the original painting would be quite delicate and rather affecting ... but in a print, distinctly cheesey.

Cheesy, yup, we are back to the question again. ;)

stuneville said:
Should we get back on topic, do you think? Maybe set up a seperate thread for rubbish paintings...

Don't we already have one of those? Don't ask me to find it, mind you...

Yeah, somewhere.

Unfortunately the daft amount of Valpollicella I drank last night has finally caught up with me, so it'll have to wait til the morning. If anyone knows where it is, drop the link in here will ya? I'll spilt and merge and generally bugger about with it tomorrow.

Stormkhan said:
I've heard of a house full of Crying Boy pictures that had students hung up on the wall and they didn't experience any mysterious household fires.
Spooky, huh?

Isaw one at a car boot recently and asked the stall holder about it she said it was from her mothers house she had recently had a fire and where selling all the stuff they could salvage i wouldn't buy one.

I go to car boot sales but have never seen one of those. Wonder why not? If I see one I'll buy it and report back if my house burns down! :D

Legend of the 'crying boy' painting

I've just got my latest subscriber issue of FT. On the cover and inside is a story that I remember very well. That of the series of fires linked by many, including The Sun newspaper, to the infamous painting known as 'The Crying Boy'. The fact that there were a number of different portraits of this child notwithstanding of course.

Now, I'm not going into the story as FT has a fantastic piece on it and I don't want to spoil it for anybody. I wonder, however, if all of us with this image now in our homes, thanks to FT, are going to suffer mysterious fires?

The myth continues :D

Re: Legend of the 'crying boy' painting

kevanf1 said:
I've just got my latest subscriber issue of FT. On the cover and inside is a story that I remember very well. That of the series of fires linked by many, including The Sun newspaper, to the infamous painting known as 'The Crying Boy'. The fact that there were a number of different portraits of this child notwithstanding of course.

Now, I'm not going into the story as FT has a fantastic piece on it and I don't want to spoil it for anybody. I wonder, however, if all of us with this image now in our homes, thanks to FT, are going to suffer mysterious fires?

The myth continues :D

Oooh blimey that's a good point!

If I had that picture in my house random fires would be the least of my worries. Perhaps a visit from the Taste Patrol, or a few points on your irony licence at least.
It seems part of a much older tradition. My mother's relatives thought birds or pictures of birds in the house, greenery esecially Ivy, clocks facing each other or the mantlepiece and a host of other everyday objects were a cause of misfortune. My aunt gave me a perfectly good oak framed mirror after a run of bad luck. Now I mention it things have been lousy... :shock:

Re: Legend of the 'crying boy' painting

kevanf1 said:

I'm sure we'll be fine as long as we don't hang the cover up on the wall.

Well, we're all doomed, given the mileage this topic's had on here :).

Threads merged.

BaronVonHoopla said:
It was mass produced then?

How do you curse and entire line of product?

I dunno, but I do know that numerous individuals back during the mid-1920s attributed runs of bad luck to encountering newspaper photographs of Pharaoh Tut-Ankh-Amen's mummy case. That's "mass-produced" by at least my definition.

escargot1 said:
....one called 'Wings Of Love', which seemed to be Dali-inspired.

SPQ304.jpg

Escargot, do you have any idea of the artist's name? I have a disk with two or three dozen fantasy-surrealistic paintings by obviously the same artist but absolutely none of them are signed.

OTR, the artist's name is Steven Pearson.

OldTimeRadio said:
escargot1 said:
....one called 'Wings Of Love', which seemed to be Dali-inspired.

SPQ304.jpg

Escargot, do you have any idea of the artist's name? I have a disk with two or three dozen fantasy-surrealistic paintings by obviously the same artist but absolutely none of them are signed.

I used to work at Derby Playhouse which had a copy of Wings of Love in their prop store. It was hard to come by then and they used to make a fortune hiring it out for productions of Abigail's Party.

gerardwilkie said:
The crying boy portrait was done by some guy called J.Bragolino . Apparently it the picture of an orphan in Spain , who in real life died in a car crash shortly after the painting was completed .Check out this weird website :

http://www.quasimondo.com/archives/...o 38 inclusive Article author David Clarke

Just a quick apology to the moderators for causing them more work with this thread :( I honestly did a search and the original thread did not show up which is why I started a new one (now merged, thank you). Perhaps the 'Crying Boy' wanted more prominence ;)

Anyway, since I took possession of my new copy of FT things seem to have started to go wrong in our house. My Freeview hard drive recorder broke down together with a load of recordings on it...now lost because I ended up reformatting the drive. My son's X-Box 360 had died, the hoover (which has only been used 3 times since we had it new a few days ago) started to belch out smoke... What's next? I don't attribute it to the picture on the cover though but I could see many people doing so.

kevanf1 said:
gerardwilkie said:
The crying boy portrait was done by some guy called J.Bragolino . Apparently it the picture of an orphan in Spain , who in real life died in a car crash shortly after the painting was completed .Check out this weird website :

http://www.quasimondo.com/archives/...ve been merged to stop any further confusion.

Back