• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cryonics

Cryonics, would you do it?

• Yeah! Freeze me

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Just my head please

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way, just let me die

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • oh I dunno

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
Here is how I see it: Given all the brains that have now been preserved, and the numbers that are adding to this each year, and the incremental improvements in the process, then I think some traces of some of those dead individuals are going to be recovered. It’s an equation that has several factors. Here are some -

1. When you died (1960s preservation is going to yield less intact brain structure than 2060s technology).

2. How quickly you were preserved post-mortem.

3. How you died (neurodegenerative disease is really going to kill the odds)

4. When they decide a technology threshold has been reached that it’s worth trying a recovery. Pity the first few attempts.

I can't imagine how any revived person could cope with a life that might be a living hell for them - how will they not go mad? Or, alternatively, be zombie-like?

I can't imagine how any revived person could cope with a life that might be a living hell for them - how will they not go mad? Or, alternatively, be zombie-like?
Indeed, uncharted territory.

Also picture this - the first revival attempts anre probably going to occur with the worst preserved. The sort of “least harm” thinking that gives us human tissue donation for research. It could be decided, say, “Oh there’s very poor preservation with Walt but we can still use what we have to attempt the process. No harm done, and we will learn a lot. It’s what he would’ve wanted.”
So a little fragment of Walt comes back, briefly. The individual has a momentary, dim, flickering post-mortem awareness before fading away forever. (Cold Lazarus dialled down to almost, but not quite, nothing).

Also picture this - the first revival attempts anre probably going to occur with the worst preserved. The sort of “least harm” thinking that gives us human tissue donation for research. It could be decided, say, “Oh there’s very poor preservation with Walt but we can still use what we have to attempt the process. No harm done, and we will learn a lot. It’s what he would’ve wanted.”
So a little fragment of Walt comes back, briefly. The individual has a momentary, dim, flickering post-mortem awareness before fading away forever. (Cold Lazarus dialled down to almost, but not quite, nothing).

Walt Disney (if that's the Walt you're thinking of!) was cremated two days after death and was interred at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, California. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/how-a-strange-rumor-of-walt-disneys-death-became-legend

The movie Realive from 2017 is a sci-fi movie about the first person to be successfully brought back from being cryonically frozen.

Back