• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I imagine the online nature of it might be about scarcity. I enjoy steampunk but really just talk about it online as I don't really have any kindred spirits in real life. I should think the same might go for this cryptid-style.

I caught a bit of Swamp Monsters in which four overweight men & a dog go in search of the Louisiana Honey Island Swamp Monster. Due to rising water levels reducing land above water, the Monster is apparently getting nearer to civilization. They look worried. There’s a lot of “Bro! Check this out” dialogue.

They go out tooled-up & camouflaged-up at night to get the requisite blurry/shaky “Whoa! what’s that?” footage & find a dead something - possibly a hog. Oh yeah, & bark scraped from a tree. I bailed out so don’t know whether they found the monster. They wanted to capture it not kill it so devised a compressed air net thrower for the purpose. Despite it apparently having a terrible smell the dog doesn’t seem able to track it anywhere, but seems to be enjoying the excursions anyway.

It was foilowed by Alaskan Killer Bigfoot. I didn’t watch but I’ll wager that they don’t find one or any evidence of one killing anybody.

I agree with others that’s it’s a form of cosplay for these people, & one which has provided them a living. If you’re an outdoorsy sort of person it’s an ideal job & judging by the plethora of these progs, enough people must lap them up.

A kind of pound shop Skinwalker Ranch..

I caught a bit of Swamp Monsters in which four overweight men & a dog go in search of the Louisiana Honey Island Swamp Monster. Due to rising water levels reducing land above water, the Monster is apparently getting nearer to civilization. They look worried. There’s a lot of “Bro! Check this out” dialogue.

They go out tooled-up & camouflaged-up at night to get the requisite blurry/shaky “Whoa! what’s that?” footage & find a dead something - possibly a hog. Oh yeah, & bark scraped from a tree. I bailed out so don’t know whether they found the monster. They wanted to capture it not kill it so devised a compressed air net thrower for the purpose. Despite it apparently having a terrible smell the dog doesn’t seem able to track it anywhere, but seems to be enjoying the excursions anyway.
I assure you, every episode is like that.

I don’t doubt it - just surprised people actually swallow this stuff.

Also, these shows have umpteen ad breaks - which is more common in the US than here, I think, and they try to end each ad break on a cliffhanger and then often do a recap after each break. It's absolutely exhausting.

Also, these shows have umpteen ad breaks - which is more common in the US than here, I think, and they try to end each ad break on a cliffhanger and then often do a recap after each break. It's absolutely exhausting.
Puts me in mind of The Superbowl in which a one hour match lasts 3 hours plus, & the time the ball is actually in play is 12 minutes.

Puts me in mind of The Superbowl in which a one hour match lasts 3 hours plus, & the time the ball is actually in play is 12 minutes.
It's all about the halftime show, which inevitably the conspiracy theorists will claim is full of illuminati symbolism.

I dont think Taylor Swift is into cryptid-core aesthetics though.

Yes, american football is mostly lining up the plays, or commercial breaks, or statistics.

Watching one of the 'clips of ghosts and whatnot' channels on youtube, one ghost hunting team was in full Ghostbusters cosplay mode. It was incredibly embarrassing to anyone who is serious about searching for ghosts.

Watching one of the 'clips of ghosts and whatnot' channels on youtube, one ghost hunting team was in full Ghostbusters cosplay mode. It was incredibly embarrassing to anyone who is serious about searching for ghosts.

I've long since decided that the optimal number for any kind of worthwhile supernatural vigil is two.

Depending on the quality of the other person available, it could sometimes be one.

Back