• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cryptomnesia

Here's a remarkable example of cryptomnesia—the most remarkable example of the phenomenon I have ever experienced. Twice as a child I watched a film on television about a scientist (of the mad type) who has invented a weather-control machine, which malfunctions and plunges England into arctic conditions. I distinctly remember watching it both times with my mother, but when I mentioned it to her some years later, probably in my teens, she had absolutely no recollection of it. And I could no longer remember what it was called or even who was in it. Identifying it grew in time into a quest for me—a quest that would last the greater part of half a century. But no book I ever consulted, no website I ever referred to provided so much as a clue as to what it was. And I never knew it to be shown again.

Then, on 19 April this year, something I read in Fortean Times made me think of it for the myriadth time. That night I dreamt I had emailed several film historians, asking them to identify it. One evidently had the answer, for he had sent me a clip from it, which I sat down to watch. To my surprise the scientist was played by Benny Hill. I woke with a start. "What a silly dream!" I thought, and soon returned to sleep. A cursory check of the actor's filmography later that morning revealed nothing that seemed germane. (I hadn't really expected it to.) A more meticulous check five days later, however, found me reading about Who Done It? (1956), in which, "posing as a 'mad professor', Benny demonstrates a machine that 'controls' the weather, with disastrous results."* I immediately ordered it on DVD, and it indeed proved to be the film I remembered. Strange to think that buried in some corner of my brain, unaccessed for decades, must have been a memory of Benny Hill playing the scientist in it—playing a private detective employed to impersonate the scientist, to be precise. Though I certainly knew who he was as a child, never so far as I know had I associated him with it in all the years of my quest.

For the record, Who Done It? was as far as I can tell broadcast only twice in the London area (where I have always lived) in my childhood: on 19 May 1966, when I was 12 days short of my fourth birthday, and 27 June 1968, by which time I had of course turned six.

* www.amazon.com/product-reviews/6304397623.

Who Done It? is best remembered for Benny's first starring role away from TV, and for Belinda Lee, his charming co-star who tragically died in a car crash a few years later aged just 25. So maybe the spirit of either of those was guiding you!

Brilliant ... love it! I thought the scenario sounded familliar but I hadn't remembered what it was called or who starred in it! Just perfect that the answer came to you aided and abetted by the Fortean Times in a dream after being so very deeply buried in your subconscious all this time. :)

Sollywos x

This reminds me of my years long quest to find a TV programme I first saw on ITV as a child (early teens). All I could remember was that some people on a train got frozen in time and when they awoke there had been some sort of apocalypse. It turned out to be "The Last Train"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Train_(TV_series)

Also known as "My daily Commute" - Truly terrifying

Sorry Mose - good post.

Back